Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Juvenile
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Juvenile Discussion of everything related to minors in the criminal justice system: juvenile detention, courts, rights, and family support.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:27 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
*What did you mean by talking up a storm?*

I just meant the 2 yo is probably talking your ear off. At least mine did when they were 2.
I used to joke that my hub might come home after work and find me dead on the couch from being talked to death. (and both my kids were boys lol....seems the stereotypes about girls being more chatty didnt apply to them)

Im glad you came back and updated us a bit. I was wondering too.
Oh yes, I understand now, yeah she is incredibly chatty. Mostly about cars...

It broke my heart on that first visit, to see them both, separated from me behind a glass screen, wearing baggy and seemingly confining orange jumpsuits. Abby was crying, Amy showed no emotion. It was 6 weeks ago now but I can still remember exactly what Abby said to me: "Surrounded by steel, I can't breath. I can't sleep. I can't eat. I can't pee. I miss you so much, but I was so terrified to see you today, out of shame of you seeing me like a criminal - What do I mean like? See me as a criminal." Her words have haunted me for the past 6 weeks, and I just had to comfort her and told her she (and Amy) are still my babies, no matter what.
The Following User Says Thank You to WorriedDad1999 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (07-09-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2014, 01:27 PM

It just breaks my heart that you are going thru this. I hope Amy gets some counseling to help her realize that her sister (the youngest) should not be blamed for her mother's death, the fact that she does and "hates her" (as you said) must tear you apart inside. I don't know if they ever had it, but it sounds like they could both use some grief counseling. You've all been thru so much in 2 years.......sending you hugs and prayers
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D's baby For This Useful Post:
nevaeh2morrow (07-20-2014), sidewalker (07-09-2014), WorriedDad1999 (07-08-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 11:36 AM

Unhappy

Hello everyone.

I went to see the girls yesterday, but (unusually), it was only Amy. For the past 2 weeks, I've only seen Abby. I asked Amy what had happened to Abby and Amy told me that the bullies had attacked her again, but Abby used a makeshift knife (that Amy had made for her, out of a hair brush) to fight back, and her them. She was put in solitary confinement, and is facing possible aggravated assault charges. Amy's worried in case Abby mentions where she got the knife from... It seems as though things keep getting worst...
Old 07-13-2014, 12:23 PM

Thanked 5,503 Times in 2,887 Posts

I'm sure it does seem like things are getting worse, but at least Abby is fighting back. Hope she doesn't catch anymore charges. I'd try to get them moved to a better facility if possible.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:49 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,545 Times in 13,952 Posts

yikes.
I sure hope things get better for Abby. Amy too.
I dont know what to say about this because Ive never been in juvenile (or grown up prison either for that matter)
But it seems those in charge of that place should be doing something to stop the bullying stuff.
What they should do I dont know.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 07-14-2014, 12:12 PM

WorriedDad.......no offense, but you should be careful what you say on here......never know who's reading these things! I hope things get better for your family! It's horrible worrying about your incarcerated loved ones everyday........esp when they are children!
Old 07-15-2014, 09:59 AM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,842 Times in 7,028 Posts

I wish I had some words for you that would help your girls and make you feel better, but unfortunately, I don't. I will keep them in prayer, though and you and the baby too. My heart hurts for you all!!

Old 08-05-2014, 09:54 PM

Wow first off you have my sympathy. This is a awful situation for any family to be in. Even worse for one recovering from the sudden loss of your wife and the kids mother. I can't help but be really concerned about your youngest daughter it sounds like she wasn't prepared for what the system is like. Have you heard any updates about your younger daughters supposed assault? On the one hand it's good she fought back. That may cause the bullies to leave her alone. If they continue there attacks would it be possible to have her transferred? I just shudder to think what might happen if she has to endure 4 years of that torture.

On a personal not I am scared because my 14 y/o younger sister im 25 is in detention awaiting trial for car theft. My parentshired a lawyer but he says it's basically in the judges hands. There is talk of her getting a year in one of these places your daughters are in. I have some questions for you if you reply here again but for now I hope things are improving for your daughters!
Old 08-06-2014, 05:09 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,024 Times in 7,402 Posts

Your younger daughter has to start playing the game, and if that means giving her sister up for helping her make a knife, then that's what it means. She's also gotta come clean with the fact that she's experienced a bunch of bullying from these same people. If she has a hope of a self defense defense, she's going to have to go that route. Hope your older daughter is encouraging her in that direction, and willing to stand up for her, and claim the help she rendered.

A shank is serious business.

Btw, make sure they know they aren't criminals yet. They are just trying it out. They aren't true criminals until they're sporting their first felonies as adults. They need to understand that they are not criminals, yet. Glad you're supporting them. Get the handbook and any other information you can and see what the usual/normal process is for complaints and bullying. Yes, it would suck to get stuck with a "snitch" tag, but there are times when you have no choice. If you cannot defend yourself (and let's face it, one against a group - most people can't defend themselves in that situation), you have to come up with alternatives. AdSeg equivalents, moving to a different unit, and other remedies besides a shank are available.

Enjoy the Mac-n-cheese.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (08-11-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 06:10 PM
Donation Award 

Sorry your daughters are going thru this. But hopefully they'll get a clue about life and when there done they won't go back. This is FAR better then adult prison, and hopefully they get it right sooner or later. Keep visiting dad when you can, don't shower with money or gifts, because they won't learn anything, this is jail for them. Put them on a budget and don't give in to the cry's of I want. You don't need to make them suffer but they do need to get a grip, sounds like ABBY is not going to give in soon, but at some point she'll break. Best wishes to you and the girls.. Bless this family dear LORD!
Old 09-16-2014, 11:27 AM

Default John 14: 1

John 14: 1
Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
1Peter 2: 9
But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of the darkness into his marvellous light.
ROMANS 10: 9
That if you confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thine heart that God raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:01 PM

Unhappy

Hi everyone. This is the first time I've looked at this site in a little while. I am incredibly grateful for the messages of support, and have welled up reading the posts from when I was away. Things have been rough the past month or so, I don't have time to go into it now, but I will update you all in the next few days, probably at the weekend. Thank you so much, and I'll speak soon.
WorriedDad1999.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WorriedDad1999 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-14-2014), jadah (08-12-2015)
Old 10-14-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concernedbro88 View Post
Wow first off you have my sympathy. This is a awful situation for any family to be in. Even worse for one recovering from the sudden loss of your wife and the kids mother. I can't help but be really concerned about your youngest daughter it sounds like she wasn't prepared for what the system is like. Have you heard any updates about your younger daughters supposed assault? On the one hand it's good she fought back. That may cause the bullies to leave her alone. If they continue there attacks would it be possible to have her transferred? I just shudder to think what might happen if she has to endure 4 years of that torture.

On a personal not I am scared because my 14 y/o younger sister im 25 is in detention awaiting trial for car theft. My parentshired a lawyer but he says it's basically in the judges hands. There is talk of her getting a year in one of these places your daughters are in. I have some questions for you if you reply here again but for now I hope things are improving for your daughters!
Hello,
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I've gone through a rough time as I am sure you have too. I'd be pleased to answer your questions, as it means I can use my awful experience to help others. Send me a message with your questions and I'll help.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorriedDad1999 View Post
Hello,
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I've gone through a rough time as I am sure you have too. I'd be pleased to answer your questions, as it means I can use my awful experience to help others. Send me a message with your questions and I'll help.
Hang in there, brother! You have a lot of support and concern from folks...
Old 10-15-2014, 05:30 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,244 Posts

Hang in there Dad, I can't imagine what you are going through but you will get my support and concern.

Hugs to you and the little one.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:49 PM
Listening Ear &Soft Heart

My greatest sympathy goes out to all involved in the situation. I hope that your daughters are doing okay and are getting rehabilitated. How are your daughters doing?
I have had an interest in corrections, criminal justice since I was a child as my grandpa was a cop. I am and plan on continuing to be a law abiding citizen. I do have compassion for the inmates, victims, and both of their respective families.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:50 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorriedDad1999 View Post
A few weeks ago 2 of my 3 daughters (Amy, who is 15, who is a complete rebel and Abby, 13 who is generally well behaved) got arrested for an armed robbery, with the Amy's boy friend and 2 other female friends. They entered a store and attempted to steal several cans of alcohol, some packs of cigarettes and $500 dollars out of the till. During the robbery Amy stabbed the store owner with a knife, but he didn't die. It's not Amy'd first offence (but it is Abby's first offence), and Amy's been arrested twice before, the first time for truancy, possession of acohol and vandalism and the other for truancy and possession of marijuana. They attended court a few days ago and Amy has been sentenced to 5 years in a Juvenile Prison, and Abby has been setnenced to 4. They have been told to report to the City Police Department in a week and they will transport them to the facility (fortuantley the judge in our area is real nice, so gave them some extra time with their family). I am ashamed of my daughters and Abby is ashamed of herself for joining her sister and is real scared (though Amy is not ashamed, but she is scared, she just doesn't want to admit it) and I feel like such a crap parent...

I was hoping that some people will understand my predicament and how I feel and will help me by telling me a bit about Juvenile Prison for girls. Please be detailed. (We live in Georgia if that helps)

1. Will they have to wear a uniform? What's the uniform like?
2. What are the facilities and cells like?
3. What can be done for entertainment?
4. Will they be strip searched upon entry and after visits?
5. Are visits contact or behind a glass screen?
6. Who can visit? Can their sister visit them?
7. What is the daily shedule like?
8. Do they have to attend school? What is the quality of education?
9. What are some of the other inmates like? Are they likely to be rough and rowdy, or calm and nice, because if it is the former, then Abby wont be able to cope, she's real quiet and timerous.
10. Is it easy to get a hold of contraband inside (I hope not).
11. What sort of personal items are aloud?
12. Are the officers strict?

Thanks in advanced for any help, from both me and my girls! I feel like the crappest (single) parent in the world right now...

Hi there,

I served time in a Juvenile Detention Facility in Texas when I was 16. Honestly, being locked up as a teen saved my life despite my boyfriend ending up in prison just a few years later. Anyway, I wanted to tell you that you're not a crap parent. My parents went through the same thing with blaming themselves for my bs. Truth is, my parents went above and beyond for me and I screwed up despite that because I was both a rebel and suffered from mental illness as well as substance abuse. I know you're in GA, but most detention centers for Juveniles run similarly so I will try my best to answer your questions from what I can remember. I was locked up over 12 years ago so my memory is a bit foggy.

1. Will they have to wear a uniform? What's the uniform like? Yes, my uniform was similar to a jumper and was dark blue. It reminded me of how cheap hotel sheets felt as it was scratchy/coarse material. Underneath the uniform we wore white tshirts, bra (similar to sports bra), white underwear, and we had boxers/shorts in a similar material to the jumper. We had shower shoes and regular tennis shoes along with socks.

2. What are the facilities and cells like? The facility and cells were very clean. My center had peach and white painted walls, which is why I will probably forever hate the color peach. The cell consisted of a bed, toilet/sink combo, and a built in desk. There was also an intercom button within our cells for calling a guard for help/assistance. I remember at night we had to put all of our belongings we would not be needing for bed in a plastic/clear container outside our cell door. I was allowed a book to read before lights out.

3. What can be done for entertainment? We had tv time, PT (similar to gym in the morning), arts and crafts, board games, books... basically family friendly activities.

4. Will they be strip searched upon entry and after visits? I was only stripped searched when entering the facility. They did pat-downs for visitation and random cell checks.

5. Are visits contact or behind a glass screen? My visits were behind glass with a phone.

6. Who can visit? Can their sister visit them? Family was my only allowed visitation.

7. What is the daily shedule like? Wake up, breakfast, PT, school, lunch, school, dinner, downtime, shower, bed. Weekends: Wake, breakfast, PT, activities, lunch, activities, downtime, shower, bed.

8. Do they have to attend school? What is the quality of education? Yes, the education is very similar to public school education just with guards. You could not go to the bathroom unattended and you had to turn in any and all pencils/pens/scissors before you could leave a room.

9. What are some of the other inmates like? Are they likely to be rough and rowdy, or calm and nice, because if it is the former, then Abby wont be able to cope, she's real quiet and timerous. I was quiet and only spoke when I was spoken to. Most of my cellies were calm and kept to themselves. However, there was one chick who would flip out in her cell nightly and tried to kill herself a few times. She always ended up at the nurse and then sent back to her cell with SP (suicide precautions). This meant she was stripped down to shorts/tshirt and had to wear a huge red vest. She was not allowed anything in her cell and a guard sat outside her door the entire time.

10. Is it easy to get a hold of contraband inside (I hope not). No. In fact, I remember thinking there was no need for it considering the things we were allowed to do.

11. What sort of personal items are aloud? The only personal items I had were clothes. I borrowed books from their library.

12. Are the officers strict? Yes and no. If you do what you're supposed to and give them respect they respect you. The only time they were very strict on me was when I was being transferred for court appearances. I was cuffed behind back, had shackles on ankles, and a chain from my waist to my ankle chain. However, I was also in there for aggravated assault and terrorist threat against a cop so they did not take many chances on me for my issues with anger.

Oh and males and female juveniles are kept separate even when housed in the same facility. The boys also wore a diff color jumper than us and we were not allowed to look, speak, or interact with the boys period. Not even in class.

Hope this helps.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diphylla For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-01-2015), NewTexGal (09-01-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 02:26 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,024 Times in 7,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diphylla View Post
Hi there,

I served time in a Juvenile Detention Facility in Texas when I was 16. Honestly, being locked up as a teen saved my life despite my boyfriend ending up in prison just a few years later. Anyway, I wanted to tell you that you're not a crap parent. My parents went through the same thing with blaming themselves for my bs. Truth is, my parents went above and beyond for me and I screwed up despite that because I was both a rebel and suffered from mental illness as well as substance abuse. I know you're in GA, but most detention centers for Juveniles run similarly so I will try my best to answer your questions from what I can remember. I was locked up over 12 years ago so my memory is a bit foggy.

1. Will they have to wear a uniform? What's the uniform like? Yes, my uniform was similar to a jumper and was dark blue. It reminded me of how cheap hotel sheets felt as it was scratchy/coarse material. Underneath the uniform we wore white tshirts, bra (similar to sports bra), white underwear, and we had boxers/shorts in a similar material to the jumper. We had shower shoes and regular tennis shoes along with socks.

2. What are the facilities and cells like? The facility and cells were very clean. My center had peach and white painted walls, which is why I will probably forever hate the color peach. The cell consisted of a bed, toilet/sink combo, and a built in desk. There was also an intercom button within our cells for calling a guard for help/assistance. I remember at night we had to put all of our belongings we would not be needing for bed in a plastic/clear container outside our cell door. I was allowed a book to read before lights out.

3. What can be done for entertainment? We had tv time, PT (similar to gym in the morning), arts and crafts, board games, books... basically family friendly activities.

4. Will they be strip searched upon entry and after visits? I was only stripped searched when entering the facility. They did pat-downs for visitation and random cell checks.

5. Are visits contact or behind a glass screen? My visits were behind glass with a phone.

6. Who can visit? Can their sister visit them? Family was my only allowed visitation.

7. What is the daily shedule like? Wake up, breakfast, PT, school, lunch, school, dinner, downtime, shower, bed. Weekends: Wake, breakfast, PT, activities, lunch, activities, downtime, shower, bed.

8. Do they have to attend school? What is the quality of education? Yes, the education is very similar to public school education just with guards. You could not go to the bathroom unattended and you had to turn in any and all pencils/pens/scissors before you could leave a room.

9. What are some of the other inmates like? Are they likely to be rough and rowdy, or calm and nice, because if it is the former, then Abby wont be able to cope, she's real quiet and timerous. I was quiet and only spoke when I was spoken to. Most of my cellies were calm and kept to themselves. However, there was one chick who would flip out in her cell nightly and tried to kill herself a few times. She always ended up at the nurse and then sent back to her cell with SP (suicide precautions). This meant she was stripped down to shorts/tshirt and had to wear a huge red vest. She was not allowed anything in her cell and a guard sat outside her door the entire time.

10. Is it easy to get a hold of contraband inside (I hope not). No. In fact, I remember thinking there was no need for it considering the things we were allowed to do.

11. What sort of personal items are aloud? The only personal items I had were clothes. I borrowed books from their library.

12. Are the officers strict? Yes and no. If you do what you're supposed to and give them respect they respect you. The only time they were very strict on me was when I was being transferred for court appearances. I was cuffed behind back, had shackles on ankles, and a chain from my waist to my ankle chain. However, I was also in there for aggravated assault and terrorist threat against a cop so they did not take many chances on me for my issues with anger.

Oh and males and female juveniles are kept separate even when housed in the same facility. The boys also wore a diff color jumper than us and we were not allowed to look, speak, or interact with the boys period. Not even in class.

Hope this helps.
Did you read the thread? I appreciate your experience, but the OP's original post was almost a year and a half ago, and he's detailed some of the events subsequent to his daughter going to juvie. He already knows all of his answers to his initial questions.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:13 AM
tired

Thanked 14,165 Times in 3,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diphylla View Post
Hi there,

Hope this helps.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Im sure it will be useful as the forums are searched everyday even by people who aren't logged in but looking for answers.