Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CONNECTICUT > Connecticut Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Connecticut Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Connecticut Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:58 PM
Mrs. Marky Mark

Default Does Connecticut still have Family Visits?

Hi,

I have a friend who is going to be moved from his home state to another state through the interstate compact. Ultimately it will depend on which state will accept him but I guess they've asked him where he wants to go so you KNOW he wants to go to a state that has family visits. Wikipedia and other articles include CT as a state that has family visits but I've been to the DOC website and I don't see anything about it. Do they still do it? If they do, can anyone tell me any restrictions on the program? I'm originally from NYC so NY is on his list as well, but I actually live in CT now so it would be nice to have him nearby.

I appreciate the your assistance.
Can't promise that things won't be broken
But I swear that I will never leave
Please stay forever with me

Please check out my blog at: http://iloveaprisoner.wordpress.com/
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2017, 02:24 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,611 Times in 817 Posts

I'm a little confused why they would approve an interstate compact without him having some roots where he's going (as it seems he's pretty open about where he's sent). Is it an interstate compact initiated by the inmate or a prisoner exchange program done by the prison? I also don't know if he would be eligible for family visits since he really wouldn't be a CT inmate, but an inmate of whatever state he came from.

Last I knew CT still did family visits...but unlike other states, in CT the spouse may not come alone, the child of the inmate must be present as well. And possibly another immediate family member other than the spouse but I'm not 100% on that.

Other than all that there are many requirements that must first be met before the inmate can apply. Unless your friend is married, family visits won't matter to him much anywhere.

Last edited by Sinir.Fridyrr; 08-24-2017 at 02:28 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Sinir.Fridyrr For This Useful Post:
Tina (08-27-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 02:44 PM
Mrs. Marky Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinir.Fridyrr View Post
I'm a little confused why they would approve an interstate compact without him having some roots where he's going (as it seems he's pretty open about where he's sent). Is it an interstate compact initiated by the inmate or a prisoner exchange program done by the prison? I also don't know if he would be eligible for family visits since he really wouldn't be a CT inmate, but an inmate of whatever state he came from.

Last I knew CT still did family visits...but unlike other states, in CT the spouse may not come alone, the child of the inmate must be present as well. And possibly another immediate family member other than the spouse but I'm not 100% on that.

Other than all that there are many requirements that must first be met before the inmate can apply. Unless your friend is married, family visits won't matter to him much anywhere.
Thank you for the reply.

In NY there is a directive that lays all the information out. So does the family guide, but I couldn't find ANYTHING on CT site so I honestly wasn't even sure if they did it anymore.

It will be a prisoner exchange program I guess. He had some issues in his home state (gang related) which was causing him to have to stay in Ad Seg even though technically according to CO state standards, his classification has dropped.

He was originally moved to WY but was having difficulty with staff there. I mean being seriously targeted for some reason. He even had staff members attest to it and he ended up moved back to CO. He SAYS they are still planning to move him but I'm surprised because he's not in Ad Seg now. He's in some special dorm. Not an honor dorm, but sounds like it. Maybe a worker's dorm? I thought once he was able to get out of Ad Seg they would keep him but according to him they are still looking to move him.

Yes married but his daughter is no longer a minor. Would that still count?

You may be right about the "not a CT inmate" thing but I figure he lives there and would be given a CT ID that he would be treated as such but honestly, I don't know.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:47 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,611 Times in 817 Posts

I don't know how old this document is, but it might be worth a read https://www.cga.ct.gov/2014/rpt/2014-R-0053.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Sinir.Fridyrr For This Useful Post:
Huerita_Loca (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 04:13 PM
Mrs. Marky Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinir.Fridyrr View Post
I don't know how old this document is, but it might be worth a read https://www.cga.ct.gov/2014/rpt/2014-R-0053.htm
That definitely helps. Thank you so much. Looks like it wouldn't work since it needs to be a minor child and his daughter is above the age. That's sort of effed up though I think. In NY, provided you have OK disciplinary and are approved you can have visits with pretty much ANYONE except cousins. Parents, siblings, in-laws, grandparents, step kids, grandchildren. http://www.doccs.ny.gov/Directives/4500.pdf

I think if I had to be locked up NY would be the best place to do it or maybe I don't know enough about ALL states. But they get to wear regular clothes in there (sweats, shorts etc), they can get packages from places other than approved vendors so long as everything is sealed. Pretty much the only perk that I heard other prisons have that they don't have is video games or mp3 players. Not even CDs. The only thing they are allowed is cassettes, but at some facilities my husband has even had access to cooking facilities. Plus we get family visits which are a blessing.

Anyway, thanks again for all your help. I'll let my friend know he should really focus on trying to get to NY lol.