Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Information relating to the Colorado Department of Corrections. This includes info about Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:28 PM

Default New prison issued tablets, how do they work? What company are they through?

Hi
I am wondering about the new prison issued tablets inmates are receiving and how they work? What company are they through? My fiance who is located at Buena Vista Minimum Center has tried calling me with his and it shows my number as blocked and I am not sure how to go about getting that corrected. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee84 View Post
Hi
I am wondering about the new prison issued tablets inmates are receiving and how they work? What company are they through? My fiance who is located at Buena Vista Minimum Center has tried calling me with his and it shows my number as blocked and I am not sure how to go about getting that corrected. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
From what I understand, the tablets are currently being rolled out to all prisons. The provider is GTL. From what I understand, the phone list still applies (they can only call those that are on approved phone list).

Old 03-15-2017, 08:53 PM
Married May 27, 2017!

I just hope that these tablets don't take the place of in-person visits.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:14 PM
Donation Award 

We are talking to my loved one right now and he is using his tablet. The calls are spotty, sometimes they drop calls and sometimes they are really choppy and sometimes you can't hear each other. The plus side is they don't have to stand in line for the phones, they don't have idiots standing by them yelling to their friends while you are trying to talk to him and the calls are no longer limited to 20 minutes!!! Hurray!

It is through GTL. Their website really sucks and it is really clunky and slow. It is not user friendly at all. I found that to get the pages to advance you have to refresh which logs you out and the you log back in, retype what you had already typed then advance then you are stuck and have to refresh and start all over again. It took me over two hours to set up an account. Sheesh. The not so funny part is the page for accepting money works just fine- it's not slow and there aren't any glitches. I just sent him an email message and it took me a verrrrrry long time to get it to send. I finally refreshed and signed back in then I could send it. ugh.

Just know that you don't have to sign up for the "advance pay phone service". It is much less expensive for them to pay for the calls from their accounts like they can now. With the GTL service there are fees for putting money on the prepaid phone account (the fees are higher than the jpay fees for putting money on their books) and then the calls are more expensive per minute and there are taxes and surcharges and federal and state fees for every call made so more expensive all together.

I will let you know how it goes the farther into this we get. I think the biggest issue they will face is the calls dropping and if they try to stream music like they are supposed to be able to do it will be spotty and slow because they are using some kind of wi-fi and as we all know cement walls and metal doors and bars and such are not wi-fi friendly.

https://web.connectnetwork.com/

Last edited by saoirse1; 03-16-2017 at 08:17 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saoirse1 For This Useful Post:
nanawrench (05-31-2017), nancyginnm (03-16-2017), WishingTree (03-18-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse1 View Post
We are talking to my loved one right now and he is using his tablet. The calls are spotty, sometimes they drop calls and sometimes they are really choppy and sometimes you can't hear each other. The plus side is they don't have to stand in line for the phones, they don't have idiots standing by them yelling to their friends while you are trying to talk to him and the calls are no longer limited to 20 minutes!!! Hurray!

It is through GTL. Their website really sucks and it is really clunky and slow. It is not user friendly at all. I found that to get the pages to advance you have to refresh which logs you out and the you log back in, retype what you had already typed then advance then you are stuck and have to refresh and start all over again. It took me over two hours to set up an account. Sheesh. The not so funny part is the page for accepting money works just fine- it's not slow and there aren't any glitches. I just sent him an email message and it took me a verrrrrry long time to get it to send. I finally refreshed and signed back in then I could send it. ugh.

Just know that you don't have to sign up for the "advance pay phone service". It is much less expensive for them to pay for the calls from their accounts like they can now. With the GTL service there are fees for putting money on the prepaid phone account (the fees are higher than the jpay fees for putting money on their books) and then the calls are more expensive per minute and there are taxes and surcharges and federal and state fees for every call made so more expensive all together.

I will let you know how it goes the farther into this we get. I think the biggest issue they will face is the calls dropping and if they try to stream music like they are supposed to be able to do it will be spotty and slow because they are using some kind of wi-fi and as we all know cement walls and metal doors and bars and such are not wi-fi friendly.

https://web.connectnetwork.com/
Thanks for the info! My husband said he heard that everyone has to stand in a certain location in order to get good reception. Hopefully they work out all these issues soon. Have you tried video visits yet? I do put money on the advanced account through GTL especially if he doesn't have phone time. But it is more expensive

Old 03-16-2017, 10:38 PM
Married May 27, 2017!

Video visits? I hope they're not replacing in person visits. It would kill me to never get to touch him again.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:17 AM

When you say the calls were longer than 20 minutes, how long are they? Also do you know if we will still be able to Jpay or once they receive the tablets or will we only be ale to message them through GTL.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:49 AM
Married May 27, 2017!

My fiance just got his yesterday. He's not going to make much use of it.

The tablet comes with a pair of very cheap ear buds that have a microphone. This microphone picks up every sound around it and it's very muffled. Sure, it doesn't cut you off every 20 minutes but I could barely make him out on our phone call tonight.

He says the streaming music costs $20/month, the games cost $6 a month. Neither of us have money to put towards that.

If the earbuds break they fine them $6. Doesn't matter if they even just go out. And then they have to make another $6 purchase to replace them. If the tablet breaks, that's $199. Which, when you earn $10 a month, is an impossibility to pay back.

The tablets are nothing but a gimmick to earn more money in the prisons.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenwyn View Post
My fiance just got his yesterday. He's not going to make much use of it.

The tablet comes with a pair of very cheap ear buds that have a microphone. This microphone picks up every sound around it and it's very muffled. Sure, it doesn't cut you off every 20 minutes but I could barely make him out on our phone call tonight.

He says the streaming music costs $20/month, the games cost $6 a month. Neither of us have money to put towards that.

If the earbuds break they fine them $6. Doesn't matter if they even just go out. And then they have to make another $6 purchase to replace them. If the tablet breaks, that's $199. Which, when you earn $10 a month, is an impossibility to pay back.

The tablets are nothing but a gimmick to earn more money in the prisons.
You're probably right, however from what I understand they will have to use their tablets to order canteen and catalog as well to send kites. What facility is you Lol at?

Old 03-23-2017, 04:53 PM
Married May 27, 2017!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyginnm View Post
You're probably right, however from what I understand they will have to use their tablets to order canteen and catalog as well to send kites. What facility is you Lol at?
He's at CMRC so hopefully he's almost outta there. He has an indeterminate sentence, but he's completed the program. Just have to find a place to go. Next hearing is April 27th. I don't expect he'll make it just because he doesn't have a place yet.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:26 PM

Ok my husband said that they keep telling them they should be getting their tablets any day. It doesn't matter to me as long as he can call me. I think the tablet concept is a good idea but only if they work right. I hope you guys get some good news on the 27th!

Old 03-23-2017, 07:15 PM
Donation Award 

On the GTL website it doesn't say anything about video visits for Colorado. I put money on for my loved one to be able to send messages back to me, however he has not been able to send messages yet. I put the money on last Thursday and he still doesn't see any credits for him to use. It took 4 days for him to be able to receive my message to him. I sure hope Jpay doesn't go away as it is much quicker for them to get messages and we can send pictures.

And Nancy ginnm you are correct in that they will probably need them for Canteen and Kites and such- that is what we were told will happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to saoirse1 For This Useful Post:
nancyginnm (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 07:18 PM
Donation Award 

Canttouchthis- our call was at least 40 minutes. But our first one did get cut off and he had to call back. They do have some issues that hopefully get corrected.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:46 PM

saoirse1 --Okay thanks for the info. 40 minutes beats making multiple calls. Were the calls priced the same? Also are they talking using the microphone with the earbuds?
Old 03-23-2017, 09:41 PM

Default issues using service from Australia

hi i'm from Australia and he is in buena vista correctional facility and has just received his tablet, unfortunately the connectnetwork company are not accepting international credit cards so i am unable to buy credits to message him but he is able to message me this is extremely frustrating and disappointing just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and does anyone know a way i can get around this issue
thank you
Old 03-24-2017, 05:43 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 16,776 Times in 10,135 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. I hope you find answers to your questions here in the Colorado prison forums.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:16 PM
Donation Award 

canttouchthis- I didn't ask him if he was using the microphone and earbuds. I will ask him the next time we talk. The calls are 12 cents per minute as long as he pays for them and you don't use the stupid GTL prepaid phone account.

Brandey24- GTL's website says they accept checks and money orders through the mail. I am not sure how he can message you without money on his GTL account- we have to put money on the account called the "debit link" account for him to be able to purchase messages to us.

Just a warning they are not a very user friendly company. They are not helpful at all if you have any issues but they are the only game in town. I put money on his account last week and it still has not credited to his account but of course
I was charged immediately. Their customer service has been no help at all. After 45 minutes on hold the first person told me that they don't have anything to with the money and they can't help. I demanded to speak to a supervisor. Of course I was only allowed to talk to the escalation desk and the solution is for me to send them all of my banking and credit card information and they will open an investigation in 7-10 business days. I am so not happy about this, I once again demanded to speak to a supervisor and was told that one will call me back within 24 hours (like they will call on a Saturday) if they feel like it. They actually told me that they will only call if they feel like it. I am so happy I only put a small amount on to test it out. Oh yeah, they don't do refunds I was told and even if they did they don't refund the 20% fee they charge you to put money on and they charge you a $5.00 fee to refund unused money according to their website.

I sure hope jpay doesn't go away.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:58 PM

Hi,

Does anyone happen to know what the hold up is with the tablets being rolled out at Limon? My friend said he gets one answer after another whenever he asks & when I asked on a visit they looked at me like I had 3 heads & spoke a foreign language! Rumours are saying the tablets are at the facility but have just not been handed out - but I'm really not sure how accurate that is (you know how the grape vine works).

Just wondering if anyone has any better info, really.

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genrecore View Post
Hi,

Does anyone happen to know what the hold up is with the tablets being rolled out at Limon? My friend said he gets one answer after another whenever he asks & when I asked on a visit they looked at me like I had 3 heads & spoke a foreign language! Rumours are saying the tablets are at the facility but have just not been handed out - but I'm really not sure how accurate that is (you know how the grape vine works).

Just wondering if anyone has any better info, really.

Thanks!
the majority of prisons in Colorado are in rural areas. Because of this there have been connectivity issues that GTL and Doc did not anticipate. I would contact the associate Warden and see if they have any more specific information. At my husband's facility, they were supposed to get their tablets in May and did not get them until a couple of weeks ago. I believe Sterling just got there's a couple of weeks ago as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to nancyginnm For This Useful Post:
genrecore (09-06-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyginnm View Post
the majority of prisons in Colorado are in rural areas. Because of this there have been connectivity issues that GTL and Doc did not anticipate. I would contact the associate Warden and see if they have any more specific information. At my husband's facility, they were supposed to get their tablets in May and did not get them until a couple of weeks ago. I believe Sterling just got there's a couple of weeks ago as well.
Sterling did get theirs 3 weeks ago. My babe said it's hard to pickup any signal in cells and when in the pods even with full signals showing there is no signal. The headphones are cheap, the microphone useless.

The good is that the music selection is pretty good, Messaging is okay -- the emails are hit and miss, sometimes they come through in an hour other times a couple days. When the tablet phone works we can talk for an hour instead of 20 minutes at a time. Once locked down they can talk up until 1 am in their cells.

Their tablets allow you to study other languages. They have access to poems and inspirational speeches. Lot of history info and comedy and other things along the lines.