Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:14 PM

Default Supervised release question

Sorry this is second time posting this, but I'm new to forum and didn't know about this section til after I posted and saw recommended similar posts.

I was released to halfway house in sept 2015 and started supervision on march 22 2016. So I'm almost 1.5 years in on 3 years. I have work d the whole time and bought a new house and car and have a fairly good relationship with my PO. Never violated or had any concerns. I currently live alone, my question is can I move a Girl friend into my house? She has no felony or for that matter any criminal convictions. She was arrested one time for domestic but charges were dropped. I have asked my PO and he asked for her info to run background check. He has not gotten back to me yet and I'm kinda stressing over it even tho it's really only been a day since I asked.

Also recently I talked to public defender about getting off release early and he talks to my PO who gave me a good review, but today my PO called and said that the supervising probation officer in my original district would not be submitting for early release at this time. Any ideas about why would be denied. Just to early? I have a spotless record since release. Worked the same job for going on two years even while at half way house and like I said above have purchased a new home and car. Also I owe no money.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2017, 08:45 PM

Default answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doinaight View Post
Sorry this is second time posting this, but I'm new to forum and didn't know about this section til after I posted and saw recommended similar posts.

I was released to halfway house in sept 2015 and started supervision on march 22 2016. So I'm almost 1.5 years in on 3 years. I have work d the whole time and bought a new house and car and have a fairly good relationship with my PO. Never violated or had any concerns. I currently live alone, my question is can I move a Girl friend into my house? She has no felony or for that matter any criminal convictions. She was arrested one time for domestic but charges were dropped. I have asked my PO and he asked for her info to run background check. He has not gotten back to me yet and I'm kinda stressing over it even tho it's really only been a day since I asked.

Also recently I talked to public defender about getting off release early and he talks to my PO who gave me a good review, but today my PO called and said that the supervising probation officer in my original district would not be submitting for early release at this time. Any ideas about why would be denied. Just to early? I have a spotless record since release. Worked the same job for going on two years even while at half way house and like I said above have purchased a new home and car. Also I owe no money.
Not sure about WV but in VA the average is two thirds of the supervision time to be served. Also they may move you to unsupervised release before they completely release you from supervision. As far as a roommate it is the same process to have a roommate move in as for you to live with someone both have to be cleared. It is all routine. Congratulations on all that you have accomplished.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to matrock130 For This Useful Post:
Doinaight (08-16-2017), fbopnomore (08-16-2017), Lovebirds (08-20-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 04:46 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 16,776 Times in 10,135 Posts

The policy for US Probation is to release everyone early who has completed all of their SR requirements, but it still falls to each supervising probation officer to implement. I received quite a lot of "lip service", but I ended up serving every day of my supervised release anyway.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrock130 View Post
Not sure about WV but in VA the average is two thirds of the supervision time to be served. Also they may move you to unsupervised release before they completely release you from supervision. As far as a roommate it is the same process to have a roommate move in as for you to live with someone both have to be cleared. It is all routine. Congratulations on all that you have accomplished.
Thanks for the info, My PO says in this district which is southern district it is usually about 2/3 of the time also. But since i was sentenced in the northern district he was unsure how that would go. He gave me a good reference but the probation supervisor in the northern district said they would not be submitting for it at this time. Didnt really give a reason, and my Attorney is out til Monday.

I am more concerned about the room mate deal, as I'm unsure how they go about approving people or what the rules are. She has no criminal convictions but like i said she did have an arrest for domestic one time. I'm really hoping its not a problem. I haven't seen anything in any rules about how they go about it, i mean she is not a felon and is not involved in any criminal activity and that was all i could really find is that we are not allowed to associate with any criminal activity.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:31 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

In my experience only a felony conviction counts, so I hope she is approved. The PO will have the final say, but I wouldn't volunteer information about the DV arrest unless specifically asked.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:07 PM

So if we happen to know someone that was convicted of a felony over 20 yrs ago....spent 2 yrs in a camp.... That means we can no longer associate with him? He runs the men's group at our church. My husband was very active in that group before going away..... Is it that strict?
Old 08-16-2017, 03:47 PM

So got good news today my PO ran all her information and said he had no problem with her moving in. Also I didn't receive fbopnomore suggestion about not telling the PO about the DV issue until after I had already told my PO I figured that since they were the Feds they would see it even tho there was no conviction. I have always been super up front with my PO about everything and I think that has helped build trust between us. I have never felt like he is out to get me or wants me to get in trouble like other posters I have seen. I honestly don't mind SR as I do nothing wrong and have nothing to worry about. But I mean I would like to be done with it so I don't have to get approval to travel and what not, but even then i have never been denied travel.

Thanks for the replies guys

And as far as church group I don't see that being a problem just let th PO know to make sure, pretty sure that social gatherings like that are okay but I wouldn't be going O lunch after or dinner at his house unless PO says otherwise
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doinaight For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-16-2017), Lovebirds (08-20-2017), MrsDeeKay (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 04:45 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I agree that talking to your PO about the Church group teacher is definitely the correct way to handle it, and I doubt that there will be any problem about you continuing to participate.

I might be overly cautious, but when I'm asked formally about one thing (like convicted felons) I only answer what was asked.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:35 AM

Got some more good news in the mail today. So originally my PO called and said that even though he gave me a good recommendation that the Supervising PO in my district said that they would not recommend me for termination of supervised release at this time. So I called my lawyer who is a public defender (but has a good reputation) and he says yeah I can't ever get this probation office to do anything so I will just file a motion today with the court. He filed the motion on AUG 31. Well yesterday I checked the Mail and had an answer from the court dated for Sept. 7 that said my supervised release had been terminated early. WOOOO!!!! lol Anyways I did 1 year and 5 months out of a 3 year term of supervised release. I will prob start a new topic to talk about this so that if someone searches the subject they can find the info as I see a lot of people say its not possible but it was for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doinaight For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-14-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 11:59 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,829 Times in 1,247 Posts

Doinaight: Congratulations! Enjoy your freedom.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bellisq For This Useful Post:
Doinaight (09-13-2017), fbopnomore (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 06:43 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Good news that you were able to outflank the head PO through the courts. Congratulations on making it all the way through your two sentences, prison and the equally nasty supervised release.

Many times the federal judges follow the PO's recommendation anyway.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:44 AM

I guess in a sense the judge did follow the PO's recommendation. Just that he followed the recommendation of my current PO who I have been dealing with since release. Not the Supervising PO in my sentencing district whom I've prob never even met (unless he was my supervising PO on pretrial, in which I can understand why he would not recommend it)
The Following User Says Thank You to Doinaight For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-14-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 07:08 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,829 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunabosphora View Post
After a couple of weeks in halfway house my LO is meeting with his PO. I do not know what to expect from this first converstion, like can the PO decide where he has to live, where he has or can to work, in which environment (business wise), who he gets to see/visit and above all, can the PO decide if I can move in with my LO (me being from overseas) or can he put his veto? Sorry, but it seems they have a lot of power and influence. Any of your inputs will be greatly appreciated, I'm not sure my LO will dare to ask or discuss this with the PO.
While the PO has veto power over those on supervised release, if your LO finds a decent full-time job, in a reasonable amount time, then there shouldn't be any issue. Regarding housing, as long as he can afford it, and can get to his job easily, then again, no issue. I don't think housing gets considered until closer to the time it is needed. I'm not sure how long your LO has to serve in the halfway house, but part of the time can be spent under home confinement, once the approved apartment is set up with the required landline. Regarding permission for you to move in, I'm not sure how interested the PO would be. I'm assuming you would have appropriate immigration status and can contribute to housing costs, but that is my guess. I've never known anyone who has dealt with this issue, but they do visit the home on spot inspection. I'm guessing it's better for you presence to be known and not a surprise. Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:31 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellisq View Post
While the PO has veto power over those on supervised release, if your LO finds a decent full-time job, in a reasonable amount time, then there shouldn't be any issue. Regarding housing, as long as he can afford it, and can get to his job easily, then again, no issue. I don't think housing gets considered until closer to the time it is needed. I'm not sure how long your LO has to serve in the halfway house, but part of the time can be spent under home confinement, once the approved apartment is set up with the required landline. Regarding permission for you to move in, I'm not sure how interested the PO would be. I'm assuming you would have appropriate immigration status and can contribute to housing costs, but that is my guess. I've never known anyone who has dealt with this issue, but they do visit the home on spot inspection. I'm guessing it's better for you presence to be known and not a surprise. Let us know how it goes.
Thank you for this information. For now my LO seems to need the time on his own to figure out what he wants to do, can do, can be and has various issues from his past to clear, including reclaiming his role and position with his children.
So I have been asked to "give some time", which I am doing, figuring that it would be working against me to try to impose myself at this point. I'm trying to keep the faith that we can be an item, when the time is right.
According to him, the most important is to find a job and this could keep the PO "happy" that "he is on the right track". I will keep you posted should I ever make it to his "pond".
Best wishes to all of you and thank you for your inputs and responses, they provided some comfort when things are really looking bad from so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to arunabosphora For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-21-2017)