Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Folsom State Prison (FSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Folsom State Prison (FSP) - California Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Folsom State Prison, located in Represa, California.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:15 PM

Thanked 1,862 Times in 1,071 Posts
Default FSP Marriage / Wedding Q & A

Questions & Info for getting married - Please POST HERE
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2013, 02:55 AM

Well we were scheduled to be married next month, but he is here now. So I'm curious as yo the process on what needs to be done or how they are scheduled and does our other packet transfer with him?

Old 05-23-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspotatohead View Post
Well we were scheduled to be married next month, but he is here now. So I'm curious as yo the process on what needs to be done or how they are scheduled and does our other packet transfer with him?
Hi! Unfortunately, your prior paperwork will not travel with him to Folsom. Trust me, I know - we had to apply 4 times, yes 4 before got married in March. (WHOOHOOO!). You two will need to reapply...

He'll have to ask his counselor for paperwork, fill out his portion, and then mail it to you and you mail it back to his counselor. You need a copy of your license, your original birth certificates for both of you and your court fees ( I think it's $150)

Then they have to approve you and they will send you notification back via mail (you have to provide a pre-stamped/pre-addressed envelope for them, that I do remember!).

Then, you have to schedule/pay for an officiant - there are only 3 to choose from and set that up with them... (I think it was about $150/180).

They do marriages only once month, on the second Saturday. It took us about a month and a half to get approved.

Good luck!!
The Following User Says Thank You to PinkieCA For This Useful Post:
Krazi Krone (01-26-2014)
Old 05-24-2013, 12:46 AM

Thank you soo much. I'm just hoping that his old counselor sent them with him as well. If not they are going to be hearing frim me

Old 05-26-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspotatohead View Post
Thank you soo much. I'm just hoping that his old counselor sent them with him as well. If not they are going to be hearing frim me
I know it's hard, but be patient!! There isn't anything you can do, other than fill out your stuff ASAP and send it back. My husband was all over his counselor every chance he got to check status... Every prison has different requirements for how they handle marriages... I also forgot, that if you DO get approved, you will have to go the MONDAY BEFORE you get married to the Court House, with the officiant to pick up your paperwork from them...
Old 05-27-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkieCA

I know it's hard, but be patient!! There isn't anything you can do, other than fill out your stuff ASAP and send it back. My husband was all over his counselor every chance he got to check status... Every prison has different requirements for how they handle marriages... I also forgot, that if you DO get approved, you will have to go the MONDAY BEFORE you get married to the Court House, with the officiant to pick up your paperwork from them...
Thank you, and yes I am going to have to be patient. I will know more once I hear from him too

Old 06-05-2013, 06:04 PM

I got married 2 years ago. I live down south and come for visits every 2-3 months. I was not able to come the Monday before our wedding.

The county office will only meet with those getting married at the prison on the Monday before the 2nd Saturday (does that make sense?). I got my license in February (stayed an extra day after my weekend visit) and got married in April. The license is good for 90 days.

If you live far away, this is good to know. If you are local then it's all good.

Good luck!
Old 06-06-2013, 02:28 AM

Thank you I'm about 6 hours away so I was hoping I would be able to handle all of that before as well. I will cross that when I get to it. But for now I'm waiting in the form he is sending me and am thankful I received our documents from the previous place.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:32 PM

It's time I make an "honest man" out of my LO and grown son's dad. I will have to figure this out and already appriciate your informative posts. Good luck to you Mrs Potatohead, and congratulations.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:49 PM

question finally the paper work is good but our wedding will be behind glass because they took his visits away and wont have them back till may then they will be behind glass untill august. so does anyone know the procedure for setting that up will it be like a regular screen visit where you call and make an appointment.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:55 PM

Help - Does anybody know who the current approved officients are?? I have a date to sign the license on 7/7/14 and they want me to bring the preacher!!!! So far the grooms counselor isn't calling me back and the date draws near. Thanks

Last edited by Krazi Krone; 06-22-2014 at 08:58 PM..
Old 09-07-2016, 04:47 PM

Anyone get married at Folsom lately???
Old 09-21-2016, 12:14 AM
Donation Award 

I haven't seen any weddings for quite some time, there almost every weekend --- too dam hot anyway, maybe people are waiting for some better weather>!>
Sarianna (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 06:10 PM
Blessed

Default Marriage

Hello😊
My Fiancé is in High Desert Prison and want to get married but due to the fact that I have a felony on my record I can't get approved to visit. Is there any other ways we can get married? I heard that we can sign paperwork and take it to the court house. Any advice? Thanks!
Old 09-13-2017, 11:06 AM

Unhappy Has anyone gotten married in a CA prison?

i have been trying to get answers for the longest with no luck or updated info on any threads unfortunately 😒 so my question is has anyone gotten married in a (ca prison) recently i have a few questions? I would so appreciate it. Were just getting started and im already stressed!
Old 09-13-2017, 11:18 AM

I'm not in CA I got married in NV. I would call the prison Chaplain and they should be able to answer your questions
Old 09-13-2017, 11:35 AM

Hello- is there anything in particular you need an answer to so that others maybe able to assist you with the information you are looking for?
Old 09-13-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judiwoo View Post
I'm not in CA I got married in NV. I would call the prison Chaplain and they should be able to answer your questions
I've tried that many times with no answer and or call back but thank you
Old 09-13-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful2724 View Post
Hello- is there anything in particular you need an answer to so that others maybe able to assist you with the information you are looking for?
Yes,

How long is the process once paper work is submitted?
If I am able to pick up the marriage licsence the day before?
since I am traveling from about 6 1/2 hours away
Old 09-13-2017, 02:00 PM

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CHS...formation.aspx

This might help you. As far as the time it takes once the paperwork is submitted I am not too sure.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:36 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,858 Times in 5,335 Posts

I married in a CDCR facility. It really depends on the facility where you're getting married.

All of our paperwork was done, picked up and delivered to the prison by prison staff. Chaplains do not handle marriage processes in CDCR, they have a position called Marriage Coordinator and that is the only person that can assist you through this. They have a high turnover rate and can be notoriously difficult to reach.

The only thing I can answer with some confidence is that on average, marriage applications take 3-6 months to approve. Ours took 15. So there's always going to be the rare outlier.

If you'll post the facility you're marrying at I can move your post there so you get accurate info.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
I married in a CDCR facility. It really depends on the facility where you're getting married.

All of our paperwork was done, picked up and delivered to the prison by prison staff. Chaplains do not handle marriage processes in CDCR, they have a position called Marriage Coordinator and that is the only person that can assist you through this. They have a high turnover rate and can be notoriously difficult to reach.

The only thing I can answer with some confidence is that on average, marriage applications take 3-6 months to approve. Ours took 15. So there's always going to be the rare outlier.

If you'll post the facility you're marrying at I can move your post there so you get accurate info.

Yeah calling is pointless they don't answer. And I've tried looking in that forum but I couldn't find a thing but he's in firehouse @ Folsom prison
Old 09-13-2017, 10:43 PM

I'm sorry I don't know anyone who was married at Folsom. Have you asked your LO about it? Sometimes they can get information from those who have been married there. Have you tried the clerk/recorder in Sacramento?
Old 09-13-2017, 11:34 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,858 Times in 5,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASSSSH View Post
Yeah calling is pointless they don't answer. And I've tried looking in that forum but I couldn't find a thing but he's in firehouse @ Folsom prison
All of the information on how they run their weddings will be in the marriage packet, including who/how to get the marriage license. Have you applied yet?
Old 09-14-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by His_Queen13 View Post
I'm sorry I don't know anyone who was married at Folsom. Have you asked your LO about it? Sometimes they can get information from those who have been married there. Have you tried the clerk/recorder in Sacramento?
The clerk didn't give me any information just said for him to send the packet and that starts the process. He's asked but the answers were vague but I'll just have to wait cause I don't see any answers here thank you