Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > High Desert State Prison (HDSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

High Desert State Prison (HDSP) - California Topic and discussion specific to HDSP-High Desert State Prison located in Susanville, California.

Old 07-08-2004, 05:28 PM

Default In desperate need of your assistance......

I do apologize if this thread is listed in the wrong place, but to me it is an extreme emergency.
Here is the raw deal:
A friend of mine who lives in Sacramento, CA has a son in prison at HIgh Dessert Prison located in Susanville. Now Susanville in about 90 miles from south of Reno, Nevada.
One of the guards took this young man's ID card. When he asked for it back the guard told him to WALK! The young man started walking and the guard pushed him from the back and the young man fell to the ground. NOw there were other guards and inmates standing around watching this whole scene. The young man said to the sargent "did you see that?" and the sargent said yes. But who do you think they will believe -- inmates or the guards.
So they put him in the hole. His Mom and family are only allowed one hour visits on the weekend and it is behind the glass.
Now I should tell you the reasons the guards are picking on him is HE IS ORGINALLY FROM IRAQ. Even though he has lived in the US for years and he is a citizen also. He is being punished because of where he was born.
His mom spoke to the warden's office and they told her they are conducting a internal investigation and once that is completed he will be more than likely moved to another prison.
He wants to stay at HIgh Dessert but what is the best way to handle this??
He has done nothing wrong other than being born in the wrong country. Now like he had a decision in all of this.
Please advise me and help me help his family. He is a decent young man and has a supportive family behind him. He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Hell we have all been thru this. I want to help his family as much as I can -- do any of you out there have any advice for me. Thanks much. I will await your response.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2004, 12:42 AM

Why would he want to stay at this prison while this is going on? It might be best for him to be moved to another prison. If they decide to move him he really cant do anything about it.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:34 AM
one lucky woman

I would immediately get in touch with the ACLU or some similar group, and I would post this in the Cali forum too. We have a lot of VERY knowledgeable members out there- I'm thinking Sgt Anonymous or Kittie could have some good ideas. THis is just wrong, and with emotions running so high, dangerous to him. Good luck and God bless you for helping him.

Diamond: a lump of coal that did well under pressure
Old 07-09-2004, 12:01 PM

Kreepgirls, he wanted to stay at High Dessert because this is his first time in prison and he has made some really good friends amongst the men there. Thanks much for responding.

Haswtch, it is a good idea to contact the ACLU . I was just so caught up in this whole thang that I was just unable to think straight. I am so thankful for PTO. And yes I will post this in the Cali forum. Yes at this time and with 9/11 emotions are running real dang high. I kinda look at this young man as my son. In the short time since my husband and I meet him and his family I have kinda befriended them. I know first hand what it is like to be discriminated against just on a visual look. Thanks so much for the good information.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:09 PM

Well, if anti-Iraqi sentiment is so high, don't you think he will face this problem no matter where he goes in California? Being in the hole is not fun and I don't mean to discount your feelings for him and his welfare but being pushed down is not in my opinion is not an "extreme emergency". More like a typical day in prison with an extremely unprofessional CO. I would just tell him to keep his profile low and try to stay invisible if he wants to stay at that prison. But whatever action you take...ACLU...I wish you luck.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:17 PM
one lucky woman

Taking their ID though? That's a major no-no. My gut says nip this in the bud, if possible. I could be wrong of course; that's why I'm hoping the California Pros will step in. Oh and Welcome, Sassy! glad to have ya around.

Diamond: a lump of coal that did well under pressure
Old 07-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Account Closed

To her, I guess it did seem like an extreme emergency, so I'm glad she posted her question and got some answers. She's new, and in her shoes, I think I might have done the same thing, not knowing quite where to post on a website this big.

I'm sorry he's being treated this way. I do believe he needs the help of ACLU or someone like that, if possible. I understand Middle Easterners are not held in high esteem here, but it was Afghanistanis who were behind 9/11, not Iraq-------Bush sure has muddied the waters, hasn't he?
Old 07-09-2004, 04:43 PM

I agree with "haswtch", I would contact the ALCU.

Buddy
Old 07-09-2004, 04:47 PM

i agree with toi ama this is a extreme emergency. what if it was one of our family members of close friends. It doesn't matter where he's from he should be treated fairly. as co's they don't have to right to put their hands on him, he did nothing wrong. you did a good deed God will bless you and give you the direction
Old 07-09-2004, 07:45 PM

Thank you everyone for all your advice and well wishes. It brings tears to my eyes and warms the cockles of my heart. PTO is like family (only better for me) You guys don't know me from adam but yet in still you offered and gave me excellent advice. Yes we all know that Iraq did not set off 9/ll -- but thru so many people's ignorance if you are a Middle Eastern then you are WRONG no matter what. I just try to help out when and where ever I can. I know the feeling all too well of being the underdog and being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
MiamiChica22 yes he may have problems where ever he goes but at least he has made some devoted friends while at HD, so that is his reason for wanting to remain there. As for it being a for it not being an extreme emergency -- to me this is. I am not offended by your opinion -- after all I did ask. To me it is not a typical day to have a CO push or put his hands on you. My son has been in prison in Oregon since '96 -- he is pretty damn verbal and he has never experienced anythang of this nature. My hubby is also at HD and not once has the CO ever attempted to do anythang like this.
I do firmly feel they knew this kid was still wet behind the ears, and they took advantage of it. Some of the other Muslims and non-Muslims stood up for him, but it did no good.
I got into it when my husband asked me to call his mother and check to see if she needed anythang or maybe just a friend to chat with. I know if I were in her shoes I would want a sincere friend to step forward and help out.
You know it is times like these that we are not always thinking clearly, and in my opinion it does help to have some one around to catch you if you fall. Feel me??
Old 07-09-2004, 10:27 PM
Groovin' for Life
Donation Award 

Has he 602'd the CO and has his family members filed a citizen copmplaint for 2142 yet? My husband and I are going through something VERY simialr. A CO yelled at my husband and tried to push him in front of our 3 yr old. so he got a 115 for being too aggresive with an officer and they took away our contact visits. I filled out the 2142 and he 602'd the officer. We are waiting to see what happens now but I think that the best thing is to at least have some kind of documentation. I hate the fact that these CO's feel like they can treat you any kind of way. I have called the Ombudsman as well and been on the phone with the facility cpt. Just make sure that they and anyone else you can gather stays involved. Do not let them forget that you are on top of the situation. In a previous incident my husband beat a 115 (if that is what they gave him) with a 602. I hope that helps. But please let me know if I can help. I hate that we tollerate these racists cops.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:54 PM

My fiance's father is from iran his mother is from here. You can tell that my fiance is persian. To the cops that arrested him and the deputies in jail he is some muslim freak. the cops broke his charm neckless which was from iran. They won't let him pray. and they give him shit for reading the quran. to them he is just some crazy middle eastern and they give him shit. A witness in the case said that he made in islamic threat. because he said peace be upon you you another language. I'm so sorry to hear that someone is being treated like that. It really pisses me off.
We all want happiness and dread the thought of rain.When the sun fails to shine, we worry and complain.We forget that god above is infinitely wise,And sometimes our ails are a blessing in disguise. For if we’re always happy filled with sunshine and cheer,Our hearts would hold no mercyFor others who’ve shed tears.So when trouble comes knocking remember to stay strong.Rainbows always follow the storm and dark clouds never stay for long.