Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Georgia that do not fit into any other Georgia sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:30 AM

Default Lost and confused, looking for guidance, info, & resources for Georgia

My brother was just sentence to 15 years in Morgan county Ga last week. He will be shipped to Jackson reception center some time in the next 3 weeks. Then sent to his permanent prison. I live in Fl and I am handling all his stuff. It has been difficult doing so from a completely different state then we're he is incarcerated at.I have never delete with any prison system before and I'm kind of lost as to where to begin to get things set up for him. I am looking for guidance, info, resources, and websites for phone calls commissary and so on.
The Following User Says Thank You to SMS81 For This Useful Post:
SusanR610 (07-20-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2016, 10:35 AM

I don't have any specific information on Georgia but I do know a good place to start is to get power of attorney for him. Good luck and welcome to the forums.
The Following User Says Thank You to priceam For This Useful Post:
SMS81 (07-19-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 10:37 AM

Who would be and how do I do power of attorney?
Old 07-19-2016, 10:49 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 18,547 Times in 6,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS81 View Post
Who would be and how do I do power of attorney?
There are several types of POA. If you don't want to go through a lawyer, I'd do a little research online for POA in GA. Typically the two most common are durable power of attorney and medical power of attorney. There will be forms that your brother and you need to sign. He will need access to a notary in order to do this. Most facilities have an in-house notary for a small fee, though not all. In that case you would have to find a notary approved to visit his facility. That's another internet search or you might be able to ask the facility if they have a list.

The POAs authorize you to "speak" for him on a number of matters in his absence. A medical POA allows you to make decisions on his behalf and to access his health records. It's not a bad document to have, but bear in mind that as long as he is in custody, he is considered a ward of the state and your access to his health care will be extremely limited. On that note, and even in the face of that challenge, have him ask for a HIPPA form and if there are any medical release forms specific to his facility. He will be able to name you as his contact there.

*Power of Attorney
*Medical Power of Attorney (same as above, use the drop-down)
*HIPPA

Last edited by miamac; 07-19-2016 at 10:53 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
HisSoul (07-19-2016), Lordbew/us (07-20-2016), priceam (07-19-2016), SMS81 (07-19-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 12:29 PM

Thanked 5,715 Times in 2,989 Posts

As for phones, commissary funding you must be an approved visitor I don't know whether the Georgia DOC has a web site that you can find out a lot of the information from. A lot of this is strictly state specific. Good luck, and I so sorry it sucks being in another state and trying to figure the ins and out of this nightmare.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
SMS81 (07-19-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 08:29 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,008 Times in 14,730 Posts

You'll find some info on the Georgia DOC webpage:

http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
SMS81 (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 09:51 AM

For general information on PAP (Pardons and Paroles) in Georgia, try pap.georgia.gov/parole-consideration-eligibility-guidelines.

There is also a website that has a definition of GDC abbreviations, try dcor.state.ga.us/InmateInfo/Abbreviations.

I think the abbreviations list will be invaluable to you as you try to navigate the Georgia system, as all documentation seems to be based on acronyms.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tina Balser For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-20-2016), SMS81 (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 11:59 AM

Once he makes it to his permanent prison he can add you and family to his list so he can call you and you can visit. Majority of the prisons have Jpay email and you can video visit as well. Visits are on the weekend but I believe out of state can have special visits. I'm out of state but I won't get one simply because they may not be contact and I want contact. Phone rates for my state are about $4 per call. It's...okay I guess. My man is at Macon so that's what I know all about.
The Following User Says Thank You to HisForever0607 For This Useful Post:
SMS81 (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 01:50 PM

I spent all day yesterday doing research. I think I have found most of the website. Still a little confused on care packages and if I can order shoes, shirts, underwear, socks,and so on from Amazon like I could in jail. I also saw that some place let u buy TV's radios and crockpots. Idk where he will end up so it's been hard to get everything figured out and ready to go for him like I had hoped to do
Old 07-20-2016, 02:02 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,008 Times in 14,730 Posts

The DOC webpage has info on packages....they use Access SecurePak. However, if GA is like KY, he won't be eligible for a package until after he's accessed / classified and/or through orientation.

Found this under the Personal Property Package info:

Quote:
Diagnostic inmates are not eligible for this program.
http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/sites/al...y_Packages.pdf

http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/InmateIn...yInfo/packages

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
SMS81 (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I spent all day yesterday doing research. I think I have found most of the website. Still a little confused on care packages and if I can order shoes, shirts, underwear, socks,and so on from Amazon like I could in jail. I also saw that some place let u buy TV's radios and crockpots. Idk where he will end up so it's been hard to get everything figured out and ready to go for him like I had hoped to do
Food package is quarterly and only up to $100 and/or a certain weight.
Property package is whenever with no certain limit.

For both you have to be on his visitors list.

Amazon you can't buy property but you can send him books and things.

If he is in a maximum prison I don't believe they can buy tvs or crockpots the most I know they can buy is a fan only because my boyfriend just bought one.
The Following User Says Thank You to HisForever0607 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 08:36 PM

Thanked 1,469 Times in 589 Posts

Quote:
My brother was just sentence to 15 years in Morgan county Ga last week. He will be shipped to Jackson reception center some time in the next 3 weeks. Then sent to his permanent prison. I live in Fl and I am handling all his stuff. It has been difficult doing so from a completely different state then we're he is incarcerated at.I have never delete with any prison system before and I'm kind of lost as to where to begin to get things set up for him. I am looking for guidance, info, resources, and websites for phone calls commissary and so on.
It can be tough to try & handle all this especially when you're out of state. We're dealing with that now with our son. He is in Georgia & we're in Louisiana.

It took 42 days for my son to be sent to Jackson for evaluation. Once there we had no contact until he was finished being evaluated. He was able to write eventually & finally call. It was awful because the noise level when he called was crazy. Some dorms have phones & some don't. They aren't allowed visits until they've been there 60 days or longer.
He did get email set up but then was transferred to another location that doesn't have it. So we're back to phone calls & letters until we can make a visit.

Jpay is where you'll put money on his account so he can buy things (including stamps). You have to be on his approved visitor list before Jpay will be able to accept money for him. I sent a money order right away so he didn't have to wait until the approved list thing happened.
The phone system is GTL. Here is a link to them- https://web.connectnetwork.com/ I have sent books to my son using Amazon but haven't sent anything else. I did find the people at the Dept of Corrections very helpful with any questions I have. You should call & ask them things you want to know. Their number is 404-656-4661. Choose the option that let's you reach an operator. Those people can usually help or connect you to someone who can.

As for the Power of Attorney, my son got one done & mailed it to us. Tell your brother to get it done while he's in jail & send it to you. You can even print one off the internet & send it to him to fill out & get notarized there.

I'd wait to get him things until he reaches his permanent location. There is a magazine service that will send magazines to them. I ordered 6 magazines for $20 for my son & they were really good magazines. Now that he's at his permanent location I know he can get things.

Take care & hang in there. It's tough trying to handle everything but just do the best you can.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
LilyWhiteRabbit (04-18-2017), patchouli (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 04:52 AM

This has been very helpful. Thank you. I have been able to order his shoes and his "whites" from Amazon while he was in jail. It has been much cheaper to do so especially with prime. I live in Fl. So I have/will be able to do long weekend trips once a month to go see my brother. Things have been crazy since he got sentenced last week. My brother has decided I will be his POA, his emergency contact, and next of kin. This has my mother very hurt and upset. I understand how she feels as I am a mother to two amazing kids myself. However my brother chose me because since the day he got arrested I have been the one to handle everything for him legally, emotional, and financial support wise. My mother has been to upset and when I try to discuss any of it she tells me to stop its to much. So I struggle to understand how she can justify being hurt and upset by him picking me. My brother and I talked last night and he informed me he will request a DNR when he arrives at the reception center. As someone who work is end of life care this seemed like a rational choice. However I struggled to fall asleep last night and as I laid in bed I realized that I have had many DNR discussions with family's and clients because someone is elderly or terminally ill but never because they were in fear of being murdered. I knew and know the dangers of the prison system as I have done way to much research but that conversation made it way to real. My brother has made many bad decisions in his life for a very long time and it has finally caught up to him. If I had read his case in the newspaper not knowing who he was I would say he is getting what he deserves. However I do know him and he has such potential to be such a amazing person. He can be so sweet, kind, thoughtful, and he is so smart when he is clean and sober. Part of me hopes this is the wake up call he needs to turn his life around and make something of himself when he gets out. I have offered to help pay for him to do some college business classes while he is in. With as many felonies as he will have when all is said and done. The only way he will be able to support himself and his two amazing kids is to be self employed. I will give my brother the world and all the support I have in me as long as he stays clean, out of trouble, and uses this as a stepping stone to get to the life I know is capable and deserves to have.
The Following User Says Thank You to SMS81 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-21-2016)