Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Georgia that do not fit into any other Georgia sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:52 PM

Default What are his chances of getting paroled early?

My husband is in county right now and should soon be transfered to Jackson. He is a first offender. Had a DUI with serious injuries. Had a full time job before he got sentenced and had been going to counseling, AA meetings, Celebrate recovery meetings, Penfield christian home and was told on the parole scale he got a 2? I don't know what that means

his sentence is serve 5 years. Do you any of you know what chance he might have at getting out early and if so how long? Weve heard stories of first offenders getting paroled as soon as they get to jackson or right before they are transfered to their prison.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2015, 07:28 AM

Hard to say dear. Mine left for Jackson yesterday...I'm miserable. I've been doing a lot of research on the GDOC website on people who have been let go in the last 15 days, and they seem to be cutting them loose very early. It looks encouraging, but I don't get my hopes too high, because this is Georgia. Hugs.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:33 AM

Hugs back to you too.... What is yours in for?
Old 04-08-2015, 07:44 AM

Long story but mine is actually an amazing guy who got caught up in a bad real estate deal. He was charged with racketeering and theft by taking. Now they want him to pay $6200.00 a month in restitution which is absolutely impossible. So he turned himself in and was sentenced to 20 years, do 5.
He was sitting in county until yesterday and we have no idea how long it will be. Have never gone a day without speaking to him, so I'm pretty shaky.
We can keep each other posted
Old 04-08-2015, 11:09 AM

Wow that is horrible. Its amazing how one mistake can cost us so much time. Praying for you and your family. Lets keep each other posted like you said. Very encouraging to see that they are cutting people loose that often. Praying we both get that good news! our guys are good guys! They don't deserve to be in a place like that!
Old 04-08-2015, 02:28 PM

I would like to join in on this thread, if nothing than for support for each of us! My family member was sentenced 15, to do 5 (first offender) on a theft by taking charge as well. Our family was completely shocked. Yes, these are good men who have made bad decisions. While he did his diagnostics at Jackson, he told me they told him they were surprised that he was in there considering his education, IQ, and upbringing. I've tried to do as much research as possible, and it seems that 1/3 time is the minimum everywhere I have seen. I read somewhere that to get less than 1/3 they have to get special approval from the original judge which is hard and could hurt them as the judge could suggest he complete his full time. I don't know if this is all true, just some things I've read online. My loved one just passed his 1 year mark of being in and still hasn't gotten a TPM. When I called and talked to someone at parole board, they said they wouldn't review his case until PED, which is 1/3 time. I just pray they review it earlier so he can get out by 1/3 time. I've tried posting on here to get answers, but haven't gotten very far. It seems that everything is pretty arbitrary. So all I can do is pray and hope for the best! Good luck to you all.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:35 PM

Oh, and to answer your question about the #2. Go to the GA parole website pap.georgia/gov and then go to the tab about parole considerations and guidelines. Then go to eligibility and guidelines. Read about crime severity level, risk to re-offend, and use those to look at the grid for post 2008 cases. Will give you some guidelines for how long he might serve. But those are just guidelines. Don't know how accurate they are. Reading when others have gotten out, it just sounds arbitrary or maybe related to when they get crowded, etc.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:38 PM

I'm glad you are on here! Your situation sounds VERY similar to mine. I am guessing that my fiancee will do 1/3 but I am positive I've seen a few lately doing incredibly short amounts. If you cross reference the GDOC offenders look up with the superior court records you can kind find several examples.
There is no way I would do anything where they had to notify the sentencing judge or the district attorney in my love's case, they absolutely hate him.
But likewise mine in 1st offender, ex military, college graduate, so I'm not sure what they will do...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicasm For This Useful Post:
brinson67 (04-30-2015), Elloria (04-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 03:33 PM

My love has heard of several instances where some have gotten out in months in stead of 1/3 of their time. It just depends like you said on their risk to reoffend (mine got a 2 which is fantastic) 1st offender, had a full time job and still will once he gets out, plus no criminal history at all. (i guess that lies under first offender)

I am praying for the best. I don't want him to be in jackson for a long period of time. Would rather him be in prison so i can come physically see him every weekend. I also pray he doesnt get sent all the way across the state where it would take me 8 hours to drive there. I would do it ...but only when i could afford the gas.

What also makes me mad is seeing other cases and seeing them get almost similar sentences for doing so much worse! Like dui with a death involved. Plus also depends on programs you get into while you are in there. god I hope this is over with sooner than later.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elloria For This Useful Post:
Futuremrscollin (07-03-2016), nicasm (04-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 03:47 PM

I also find it horrible how we are left with no answers. Like the parole board this the wizard of oz in this huge emerald castle that no one can go see. For a 1st time offender, full time job and stayed out of trouble his entire life I would think the parole board would see that and grant an early release. God I can only hope. He doesn't deserve to be in there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elloria For This Useful Post:
Futuremrscollin (07-03-2016)
Old 04-08-2015, 03:58 PM

That is so funny that you made a Wizard of Oz reference. I was just saying the other day that some cops in GA are like the flying monkeys.
I actually read bios on all the parole board members and they seem intelligent. One can only hope.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:58 PM

I now know that the 1/3 time served before they are eligible for parole is absolutely BS. Ive searched over the countless entries in the parole release information and have pulled up MULTIPLE people who have had similar if not worse convictions than my husband and have served less than a years time in jail. Hell even one person with a sentence almost identical to my husbands only served 2 months in jail. how is that possible???

I'm hoping someone with answers comes back to these forums because from the looks of it these forums are dead.

Is there a way to find out who their counselor will be before they get to diagnostics?
Is there a way to get them to diagnostics quicker so we can get the process moving faster?
Can we ask for them to be transfered to a prison/facility near where i live because i am pregnant and cannot travel several hours for visitation?
Old 04-28-2015, 03:05 PM

I probably shouldn't even come back to this site. All I seem to do is upset my self searching for information that I just can't seem to find. We have now been told he only has one conviction on his record. he is now in jackson and we are waiting for him to get out of diagnostics. I have tons of people telling me he wont be in long and to stay strong that he won't even do a year. Ive seen many people being paroled for similar or worse offenses and they are getting out super early. Like months in stead of a year. Has anyone had personal experience with a loved one getting out early? what did they do to get out so early?

edit: I hate that these forums are dead. Why even have them anymore? Just gives people like me false hope that someone will actually care enough to respond with useful information.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:04 PM

Hi to you both.

My husband of 19 years was sentenced to 4 years with 2 in confinement. We were shocked and devastated. He is an amputee of 5 years and became addicted to the huge amounts of pain meds prescribed to him. He made some very bad choices during that time (Feb to July of last year). He was sentenced this month and reported yesterday. The judge would not even read the letters from his Dr. and our Pastor or listen to me at all. He said that he did not believe his actions had anything to do with addiction to pain meds.

I have read and heard 1/3 time also and are praying for that 8 months to be the longest, but we've also been told that it can take 4 months to get from our county into the state system, which would then make it around 12 months, I guess.

We have 3 children..oldest 18 and youngest is 6. I hate this. It is so unfair. The judge let 3 armed robbers (who sexually assaulted a pregnant woman and held her children against their will) go after the 3 years they served, waiting on sentencing, and then turned around and told my husband "copper thieves are a menace to society" (that is the bad choice that got him in trouble).

I agree that these forums are dead. So much info. is outdated. I've read about the Ombudsmen, maybe they can give better answers that the forum can? I have to say that "venting" to people in the same situation would be a benefit from the forum or from meeting and keeping in touch with those you meet. I don't know anyone else whose husband is in prison to talk to .
Old 04-28-2015, 05:09 PM

So glad you've joined us. My ex husband was an amputee and I know exactly what you're going through. That's ridiculous for the judge to place your husband's mistake in a class of someone who is a "menace to society". Elloria ^^^ & I both have men who have been unfairly punished.
Which county is he in? Ours are both at Diagnostics now.
The Following User Says Thank You to nicasm For This Useful Post:
JoJo1995 (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 05:12 PM

Thank you for responding. Me and Nicasm are here to talk if you need to. I want help and answers so badly. Im due in October with our first child and am terrified he will miss the birth. My husband only spent 3 weeks in county before he was transfered to jackson. I pray he doesn't spend more than 6 weeks there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elloria For This Useful Post:
nicasm (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 05:15 PM

He is in Richmond County.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:25 PM

Nicasm, how long was yours in county? Sorry if I missed it. My husband also has seizures, so for both of his conditions, he is in medical right now and may be sent to a medical prison...but I've heard the one here in Augusta is one of the most violent prisons in the state. That scares me.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:31 PM

It was my ex that was an amputee, just to clarify. My current love is also disabled and was in medical at county where he stayed 74? days. Has been at Jackson for last 21 days. I don't want him to go to Augusta either, hear Long or somewhere else is better. My understanding from him is the county camps won't take inmates with medical issues, they aren't equipped to deal with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to nicasm For This Useful Post:
JoJo1995 (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 06:50 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,159 Times in 10,802 Posts

Here's a link to the GA Parole Handbook published by The Law Office of the Southern Center for Human Rights that may be helpful.
https://www.schr.org/files/post/ParoleHandbook.pdf
Old 04-30-2015, 09:46 AM

Hello all =) Here is what I'm going through.. My love got 10 years serve 3 first offense. Possession of Marijuana. He got his TPM about 6 month in. They went by Ga grid. He had no criminal history. Ex military, college great man. His 1/3 has come and gone that was 1/2015. His TPM is Sept 2015. He has one pic point which would allow him to get out in Aug 2015 but as of now his TPM still says Sept 2015. He is in a transitional center now and works full time, pays rent for his stay lol. Their is no points given for work release transitional center. I'm waiting patiently. He got 3 years and 1/3 was Jan 2015. Oh one more thing he has had no write ups since he has been in.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:10 AM

May i ask how old he was when the crime happened and how much he got caught with? What have you done to speak to the parole board and his counselors? This is not very encouraging also has he tried completing any classes/courses to get him more points? Just trying to compare because I know our guys are going to be fighting tooth and nail and doing everything they can to get out asap.

Last edited by Elloria; 04-30-2015 at 11:14 AM..
Old 04-30-2015, 02:40 PM

Well he is 57, he got busted Nov 2013..Started his sentence in Jan 214. I have talked to his counselor several times, they are not much help. I have talked to parole board a few times..All different answers results are the same. They told me be glad he has a TPM some don't. The center where he is only offers 1 class and he took it, that is where he got the one point from. They can only take the classes provided to them in their particular prison. He took a plea for possession. Not sure exactly how much he was caught with. They never really said and he don't remember. We was not together when he did this. He is my husband of 12 years but we had some issues so we were separated at the time he decided to go carefree. I love him and have been supporting him since he was locked up. It can get expensive! Hope this helps clear up some of your questions. If it is any help I researched for months and the only think I found consistent is nothing with GDC is written in stone. I have seen people get out early for heaver crimes and less severe max out. It just all depends on what GDC wants =/
The Following User Says Thank You to brinson67 For This Useful Post:
nicasm (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elloria View Post
My husband is in county right now and should soon be transfered to Jackson. He is a first offender. Had a DUI with serious injuries. Had a full time job before he got sentenced and had been going to counseling, AA meetings, Celebrate recovery meetings, Penfield christian home and was told on the parole scale he got a 2? I don't know what that means

his sentence is serve 5 years. Do you any of you know what chance he might have at getting out early and if so how long? Weve heard stories of first offenders getting paroled as soon as they get to jackson or right before they are transfered to their prison.
The two means he is at low rick to re offend. Also he is a level 4 crime which usually means has to serve 22 to 38 months
Old 04-30-2015, 05:46 PM

One more thing, my husbands risk to re offend is -2,..unless they change up ,the 1/3 mark almost never happens. The only reason I'm telling you all this is because I went trough this heartache waiting on his 1/3 but as I said it came and went. Its so weird them telling you 1/3 is when he will get his TPM my husband got his TPM way before the 1/3 mark. They went by the grid .. lowest possible for his crime but like someone said before they are all over the place when it comes to releasing them..so fingers crossed and never give up hope..That is what has gotten me trough this what seems like a long time..Anything is possible =)

Last edited by brinson67; 04-30-2015 at 06:09 PM..