Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WYOMING Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

WYOMING Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Wyoming - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, etc.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:51 PM
dbwifey

Default Need info on moving to WY and interstate transfer to WY

Hi. My husband and I are planning on moving to WY. He will be an interstate transfer from AR. I will br moving ahead of time with my kids. Never been to WY, but have read a lot about it. Any advice? Looking at riverton / lander area
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2013, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,722 Times in 3,038 Posts

Have you looked at the local chamber of commerce websites? Sometimes, just to get a feel for the place, checking the craig's list listings is a good too - for housing, to see what things people are selling etc.

I'm afraid I'm not from WY, so I don't have any solid info about it, but thought I'd throw some ideas out there.

Are your hub's papers signed so you know for sure that you can transfer states? Or is he off paper now?

Gin
Old 01-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Donation Award 

Riverton & Lander are nice areas. Riverton has quite a bit of agriculture and a nice community college. Lander is a pretty area, I think, with the mountains up behind it. There is a lot of outdoorsy recreation such as rock climbing in the Lander area. I think Riverton is within the Wind River Indian Reservation if I remember correctly. Not positive but I think the newspaper is the Riverton Ranger. You might try reading it online to get a feel for the place.
It is about a 2 hour drive across the windswept high plains with no services to get to Rawlins from Riverton. It's a well maintained road, though, just some pretty remote country.
The schools tend to be pretty good out here, so that's a plus. :-)
Laramie is one of the more vibrant communities that would be a little closer. It's a university town.
Good luck with your move!