Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP)- California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP)- California Topics and discussions specific to Pelican Bay State Prison located in Crescent City, California.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:18 PM
His Milagro

This is what my husband says its like. His mind gets him through the hard days his drawing to our children keeps his days busy besides his college courses and reading he does. he tries to watch what we watch on the same days to make him feel as if h e was home again..Our voices are like a cd we replay over and over because he can't call home. Luckily we have a recording we have never deleted, But yes it is a hard place to be in and if your not strong minded and have a lot of support it will get the best of you..
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachis girl View Post
This is what my husband says its like. His mind gets him through the hard days his drawing to our children keeps his days busy besides his college courses and reading he does. he tries to watch what we watch on the same days to make him feel as if h e was home again..Our voices are like a cd we replay over and over because he can't call home. Luckily we have a recording we have never deleted, But yes it is a hard place to be in and if your not strong minded and have a lot of support it will get the best of you..
My husband says the same thing. he also copes by reading and lots of writing. We both exchange a lot of letters between us because, i, too read a lot so i can't wait till he come home so that we can read together and do lots of talking and all the other good things,lol!!! I've got only only 24 months left of this and he'll be home.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:48 PM

Hello ladys I'm so stressing cause my brother will be sent to pelican bay also the shu and I been watching the program lockdown and ugh everything they show is the bad things that hpnd there it stresses me out more nd I tell my brother but he tells me no 2 stress everything will be fine I also watch youtube nd enter pelican bay it shows me videos of how is it in there my brother tells me is not bad if u jst chill nd do your time the correct way but sometimes u have 2 do what u have 2 do 2 survive is hard he will be spending 45months in the shu my prayers goes 2 all
Old 01-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Cool Pb shu

Hi Precious,

You sound stressed out!!! First, I can relate to that as I was when my love was sent to Pelican Bay. I'd seen the shows you mention, read stuff on the Internet and was totally convinced he'd end up a "basket case" by going nuts in this crazy place.

From what I've seen, he's still totally normal. (OK, well at least as normal as he was before he went there.....LOL!) Each person deals with this reality differently, as I'm sure you've figured that out. All we can do, and this is all those guys really want (except to get out of course) is to keep in touch (write) as often as possible, even if it's to talk about the weather. Send pics as often as possible too. And, when time and finances allow, go visit, which is their biggest deal ever.

So, DON"T PANIC!!! (I did and it was a total waste of time!) You have a great support group here, and I know that I don't know much about the prison system, but my guy is doing OK....he's even happy now he's in the SHU as he has his own TV which he couldn't have in Ag-Seg....wow - go figure!

PM me if you'd like. We're all here to help.

Best wishes,
Valerie
Old 01-19-2011, 03:56 PM

Don't worry. I'm sorry that he'll be headed there, but take it from us, relax and be supportive. Your support is number 1 to getting him through this. Letters, photos, and maybe visits. Also, sign him for pen pal sites, and lots of magazine subscriptions and books. They get into a routine and I know 45 months sounds rough.....but I've been here 12 years. The way they show it on tv is not exactly correct. There's good and bad in everything. Let me know if I can offer any advice.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by precious310 View Post
Hello ladys I'm so stressing cause my brother will be sent to pelican bay also the shu and I been watching the program lockdown and ugh everything they show is the bad things that hpnd there it stresses me out more nd I tell my brother but he tells me no 2 stress everything will be fine I also watch youtube nd enter pelican bay it shows me videos of how is it in there my brother tells me is not bad if u jst chill nd do your time the correct way but sometimes u have 2 do what u have 2 do 2 survive is hard he will be spending 45months in the shu my prayers goes 2 all
He'll be okay. We're here if you need us.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Administrator Emeritus
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,107 Times in 219 Posts
Default New Hunger Strike

Once you have read what the SHU is like the Hunger Strike will make more sense.

Love Barb

Old 08-16-2012, 08:07 PM

wow vivid description!!
Old 08-17-2012, 05:31 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,954 Times in 2,167 Posts

Well all I can say is that I'm gald my loved one has an out date,though the stats. on how well a person adjusts to freedom after a prolonged shu incarceration are dismal at best.
I think the op made a very good point in the fact that since they have started validating,violence rates have gone UP and then they justify shu with those statistics.It does take the more stable men off the yards and makes the yards a more un-stable (thus more dangerous) place.
I also agree that removing the shot callers only leaves an opening for another guy to take their place and then that guy will get validated and on it goes.
Round and round and adding more and more shu units.
Now Arizona is adding 500 new shu beds at a cost of 50 MILLION dollars in a depressed economy.They already house California inmates and California is ever increasing their numbers of validated prisoners.Does anyone care to guess what states inmates will be housed in those 500 new shu beds?
Old 08-17-2012, 12:03 PM
Administrator Emeritus
Donation Award 

I want to thank all of you who have read Richard's writings, as I am writing this my Richard is on his last days in this world. I know in my heart that he is going to a better place, God bless all of you who have followed his life and thoughts.

Love Barb

The Following User Says Thank You to Barbara For This Useful Post:
cybrlid1 (09-18-2013)
Old 08-17-2012, 06:43 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

My heart goes out to you Barb.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:55 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,954 Times in 2,167 Posts

I"m so sorry Barbara :-(

His writing has been a blessing.

May Richard's passing be peaceful.

God bless you both!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Donation Award 

I'm sorry to hear the news about Richard.. God bless his soul.. Also wanted to thank Him and You for the summary of the SHU... God Willing his release date is in the year 2015. He was transferred there this month...
Old 09-23-2014, 11:49 AM
Administrator Emeritus
Donation Award 

Good morning,

I have been away from PTO for some time now, I will try to pick up the pieces where we left off. Yes my son was released from the Bay in 2007. My son Steven died in 2010, my husband of 37 years died this month 9-9-2014. I hope these writings by Richard have helped all of you who are going through the heart and mind aches of the Bay. I would also like to hear the changes you have seen in the last 11 years since I posted this. For those of you who have questions I might be better able to answer them now.

Love Barbara BSS