Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP)- California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP)- California Topics and discussions specific to Pelican Bay State Prison located in Crescent City, California.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:18 PM

Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,071 Posts
Default PBSP Marriage/Wedding Q & A

Questions & Info for getting married - Please POST HERE
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Account Closed

Is it possible to get approved to get married if you aren't approved to visit yet? I'm in the process of expunging my record so that I can get approved for regular visits but it is proving to be a lengthy process. Thanks
Old 04-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Jessgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJustMe123 View Post
Is it possible to get approved to get married if you aren't approved to visit yet? I'm in the process of expunging my record so that I can get approved for regular visits but it is proving to be a lengthy process. Thanks
No, you have to be approved on their visitors list. I attached the form that has the procedures on it
Attached Files
File Type: pdf marr pck.pdf (1.25 MB, 62 views)
Old 04-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by siciliangirl310 View Post
No, you have to be approved on their visitors list. I attached the form that has the procedures on it
I already have all of it but thank you. It's complicated. I have 15 convicted charges, 3 of which are felonies, between 1998-2003. We are working on it but it's going to take awhile and they may not approve me at all
Old 04-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Account Closed

I thought that was the visiting stuff. I didn't have the fiancé info yet so thank you
Old 06-08-2013, 08:23 PM

I have a question about the guys' wedding rings. I know they're only allowed to get a "plain wedding band," but does anyone know if it can be beveled? Also, can it be engraved on the inside of the band or not?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc~at~heart View Post
I have a question about the guys' wedding rings. I know they're only allowed to get a "plain wedding band," but does anyone know if it can be beveled? Also, can it be engraved on the inside of the band or not?
Hi OC,

I got married in SHU on 12.1.12 - to be honest IDK the answer to your question here, but I just went totally plain to be sure he could have it. With him being in SHU there is ZERO option to switch it out later so I didn't want to risk it.

You will also need to submit the receipt showing it's less than $100 before tax, so be sure to keep that.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavisLady View Post
Hi OC,

I got married in SHU on 12.1.12 - to be honest IDK the answer to your question here, but I just went totally plain to be sure he could have it. With him being in SHU there is ZERO option to switch it out later so I didn't want to risk it.

You will also need to submit the receipt showing it's less than $100 before tax, so be sure to keep that.

Oh wow! Thanks for the tip, hon, because I was planning on getting something 200ish. But yeah, I guess you're right. Better to be safe than sorry. How much in advance did they give you before you got your wedding date? We put ours through in March and I know there's a date coming up in August. The guy also said there's more papers to sign after the initial marriage packet gets filled out. Any tips I need to know as far as paperwork?
Old 06-10-2013, 02:55 PM

Does anybody know of which County does marriage by proxy with just birth certificates
and s.s card? Or how can I get a copy of his drivers license with him being in jail. Please help I have our paper notarized but the assholes wouldn't take the copy I had cause you can't see his face...
Old 06-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc~at~heart View Post
Oh wow! Thanks for the tip, hon, because I was planning on getting something 200ish. But yeah, I guess you're right. Better to be safe than sorry. How much in advance did they give you before you got your wedding date? We put ours through in March and I know there's a date coming up in August. The guy also said there's more papers to sign after the initial marriage packet gets filled out. Any tips I need to know as far as paperwork?

Once you submit your papers and your fiance submits his, there's one more "green form" the PB marriage facilitor sends to your man.

This "green form" is the inmates final agreeement to go thru with the marriage.

My (now) hubby is in SHu and it took 3 tries for him to actually receive the form. I don't doubt the marriage facilitator sent it, but I think (just my opinion) that the COs tossed it out.

I kept bugging and bugging the marriage facilitator trying to get all this sorted out. His name is Robert and he's super-nice and helpful but hard to get ahold of: 1 707 465 1000 x9013.

Robert can tell you if both your paperwork and your fiance's in all in order and when the dates are.

PS - read the marriage papers carefully! You need to go to the Courthouse in Crescent City the Friday before your wedding day to get the license etc. (The $100 ring limit is in those papers too, so be sure to read them carefully!)

We put our Papers in June 2012 and were offered a date of Aug 4th last year - but - ironically, this was the date of my first marriage so I didn't want that one. We took Dec 1 as the date seemed to have a nice "ring" to it - 12.1.12. I kinda like that!

Last edited by JavisLady; 06-11-2013 at 03:15 PM..
Old 06-11-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavisLady View Post
Once you submit your papers and your fiance submits his, there's one more "green form" the PB marriage facilitor sends to your man.

This "green form" is the inmates final agreeement to go thru with the marriage.

My (now) hubby is in SHu and it took 3 tries for him to actually receive the form. I don't doubt the marriage facilitator sent it, but I think (just my opinion) that the COs tossed it out.

I kept bugging and bugging the marriage facilitator trying to get all this sorted out. His name is Robert and he's super-nice and helpful but hard to get ahold of: 1 707 465 1000 x9013.

Robert can tell you if both your paperwork and your fiance's in all in order and when the dates are.

PS - read the marriage papers carefully! You need to go to the Courthouse in Crescent City the Friday before your wedding day to get the license etc. (The $100 ring limit is in those papers too, so be sure to read them carefully!)

We put our Papers in June 2012 and were offered a date of Aug 4th last year - but - ironically, this was the date of my first marriage so I didn't want that one. We took Dec 1 as the date seemed to have a nice "ring" to it - 12.1.12. I kinda like that!

You're so funny! I love that though.... Well, I am definitely going to read it all carefully, twice over. Thank you so much, and much congrats on your recent wedding. I wish you and your husband much strength and many cherished memories!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oc~at~heart For This Useful Post:
JavisLady (06-11-2013), Joselle (04-20-2015)
Old 04-02-2014, 10:51 AM

I have a quick question... When getting married in GP, how many guests can you invite to the wedding? Thank you!
Old 04-03-2014, 02:33 PM
Mrs.M

I have a super quick question, my fiancee is currently in the SHU and I wanted a face to face wedding. I am not sure if because he is in the SHU if it has to be behind glass or if we can have contact. I know he is set for release from the SHU early next year so I am wondering if I should wait and be able to have contact or just go ahead and get married while he is still in the SHU.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:59 AM

Cool Scared but going through with it...

My man is at pelican bay prison. does anybody know how long does it take for a wedding to be approved and how long does it take to get a overnight visit. Can some one please help me..
Old 07-25-2014, 10:49 AM

Hi Dumbnlove-the process in itself doesn't take long, as long as you have everything in order( which in the marriage packet clearly lays out) but I was told by the chaplain they only do weddings 3xs a year-every 4 months apart.. For example, the next wedding date is August 9th and the one after that will be in December. I hope this info helps you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ourlovestory For This Useful Post:
dumbnlove (07-26-2014), Joselle (04-20-2015), ollienkcc (08-09-2014)
Old 05-25-2015, 11:48 PM

I am filling out my marriage package for PBSP but it states that they only take cash no money orders or personal checks. So my question is , where would I pay those $75 to or send it out to for the ceremony fees?
Old 05-26-2015, 11:57 AM

You pay for everything the Friday before ur wedding, when u get ur marriage license.