Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Legal Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida Legal Information Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to Florida. This information is *NOT PROFESSIONAL* and should always be fact-checked!

Old 11-28-2015, 01:16 PM

Default Anyone hear of a Bill to change the 85% served time to 71%?

Curious if anyone has heard a rumor about them possibly passing a bill to change the 85% served time to 71%?

Just curious.

If this has already been posted admin please discard this post and I apologize in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2015, 06:12 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,979 Times in 1,421 Posts

First I've heard this year.

These things always circle, but you never know....

However, several years ago when Florida was at risk of being over populated, they opted to ship some out of state then to let some go early. Whether any got shipped or not, memory doesn't recall. But, that was Floridas fix for something like that.

I can't think of a single other issue why Florida would want to do something like that....they need the labor, it's just too much revenue to give up.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

'Why' must almost always override 'how'. - Anjewel

DEDICATED TO THE ONES WITH NO VOICE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
HisChevyBabe (11-30-2015), xolady (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 06:21 PM

Thanked 11,100 Times in 6,007 Posts

Keep in mind also that when a State does a restructuring of its good time provisions, it is rarely something that is applied retrospectively. The draft legislation will include the savings provisions, but they are generally written in a manner to be prospective. No politician wants to face an election cycle by being the proponent of being retroactively soft on crime. Sentences were imposed based upon that statutes in effect at the time...prosecutors make their offers based upon those expectations and jurors (you know, those pesky voters) come up with a number based upon the law as it appears in the jury instructions.
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
HisChevyBabe (11-30-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 05:48 AM

Thank you all. I was wondering...my hubby and I was wanting to know if it was just "inmate rumor" or if it was possibly true. It were to become true he would be home next year. :-) How amazing that would be. but if not he will still be home in 2018. either way. of course the sooner the better :'). but I just wanted to check with you all. So many knowledgeable people here and I appreciate you all.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:00 PM

I think the political tide is starting to turn. America is beginning to be embarrassed that we incarcerate the most people of any other country on earth. There is a big push for Accountable Justice. Getting rid of mindless mandatory minimums. Drugs Minus Two Retroactive passed at the Federal level so why not at the State level? DOC's Julie Jones was denied funds to add x amount of additional CO's, with the alternative being proposed to release non-violent first time drug offenders early. This makes sense. It's up to us to name noise.