Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > KENTUCKY > Kentucky Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Kentucky Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Kentucky.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:11 PM

Default Classification & Location

Hello all! New here, only my second post, second topic.

A friend of mine just got his final sentencing done last week. They did his PSI months ago. And so now, as I understand it, next step is to get his classification and be moved to a permanent facility.

He's currently housed in a local county jail. He's miserable. Well, that's to be expected, it's jail. But I mean as far as ZERO outside time, and ZERO programs and/or counseling. He's hoping to move to a prison or even another county facility that offers better services and gives him a little more outside mobility.

I can see there are a ton of posts about different facilities, but was hoping for a response to help me wade through so much.

He asked me about county facilities at Marshall, Webster and Woodford. Does anyone have knowledge or experience with any of those? Again, interested in knowing how good they are with regard to programs, work duty, outside time. And not least of which, visitations. He has 3 sons and is hoping for some quality contact visits; something more than 15 minutes through glass.

He had hoped to move to La Grange. So any information you may have on that would also be appreciated.

Just trying to help him find out information to make his time best spent.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2016, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator on Leave

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 6,155 Times in 3,056 Posts

I believe all county jails are only 15 minutes behind glass. And almost all county jails house class C and D state inmates so he may or may not actually be moved into a prison.

I haven't heard much about Marshall, but Webster sucks. Woodford isn't too bad from what I've heard and they do have work outside the place. None of the places offer much in the way of work, outside time or programs. All of the county facilities are overcrowded.

Also, there is a delay in classification whether while still at a jail or moving to Roederer. DOC is backed up.

Sorry I couldn't give you are more favorable response.

Welcome to PTO by the way.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:41 PM

No worries, as far as favorable response. I had a feeling that was about what could be expected. I won't be in a hurry to give it to him though. If he ends up staying where he is for the duration, I will really worry about him. He needs a change of scenery, at the very least.

The visitation is the biggest bummer. He has been holding out hope for prison so he could have contact visits. His kids are young, and not being able to hug them has really affected him mentally. Consequences sneak up and smack ya, I guess.

That sucks regarding classification. Though nothing has moved fast in the past year, so why should that. I've never had to learn of, or know about how these things work. But learning now, it really makes a person wonder what the point of prison really is. It certainly does not seem to have anything at all to do with rehabilitation. Just lockdown. Don't see how that can make a difference with most people. ~ Sorry, just a momentary rant. *sigh*
Old 06-20-2016, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator on Leave

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 6,155 Times in 3,056 Posts

Rant away, my dear. It's okay.

If he's still in the same jail as when he was sentenced, he will be moved. They won't keep him there. DOC 'likes' to move them far away from home so...

If/when he does get moved to Roederer for classification and assessment, he won't be allowed to have visits for 60 days.