Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > WENDE HUB PRISONS - NY DOC
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

WENDE HUB PRISONS - NY DOC New York Prisons in the WENDE HUB - Albion, Attica, Orleans, Rochester, Buffalo, Wende, Wyoming, Livingston, Groveland, Collins, Gowanda, Lakeview.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:05 AM

Default Looking for info on Wende reception please

Hi all!

Hoping you could help me get general info. My boyfriend got sentered to 1 1/3 to 4 yrs upstate for his second dwi charge. He was in county for about 2 weeks then they took him last tuesday to wende reception. He has not been able to call me and now he's been in there for 6 days. I was told this week they then would be taking him to Elmira reception.

Questions.

When would he finally be able to call me?
When will his inmate info be posted up at nys docs? I need his DIN number
What might happen to him from Elmira, anyone else know someone and going through the same with a 2nd offence dwi conviction? Where did they go?

Thank you guys
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2016, 10:52 AM

Hi, and welcome. This is one of the toughest parts of the process to go through, but hang in there. He will make it through to the other side and you will hear from him.

He is very unlikely to be able to call from Wende. They are not there for long and phone time for reception is really difficult. Luckily, it is short lived. Elmira should be a little easier, but even that is limited. But he'll spend longer there so it's more likely he can get a minute on the phone. He will be able to write from Elmira too, so once you know he's there, you can send him a letter, and even visit.

As far as his DIN, you should be able to look him up on DOCCS, and Wende would be listed until he gets to Elmira. Then, Elmira would be listed. It gets tricky once he leaves Elmira, because that is what you will see even if he ships out and heads to his destination facility. Long story short, he should totally be listed now.

I had a loved one in for a DWI (vehicular manslaughter as well, but still classified for DWI program). Because it was a long sentence (3-9) he went to Governeur for 2 of those years and got no programming. He was moved last fall to Gowanda to do his programming, and made parole for release this January. Gowanda is one of the big ones for DWI programming, but several facilities offer it (you can see the listing here: http://www.doccs.ny.gov/ProgramServi..._facility.html )

Good luck, and hang in there. It will work out ok -patience will be your biggest asset.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:02 AM

Thank you for your comment.

Its so weird but he is not listed on NY doc website when I do the inmate search his name never comes up. I've checked every day.

Also, was wondering about Gowanda. I've heard horrible things from others about this prison. Any feedback frim your loved one? Is it as bad as they say. Is the dwi program helping him in recovery?
Old 12-11-2016, 04:22 PM

Well, to answer your questions about Gowanda... that's subjective. My friend's experience may be different than that of someone else's. No one's prison experience is "good", and each one might be a lesser version of a different evil, so to speak. So, I've had lots of feedback, yes. I've visited that facility and been able to compare it to others so also have my own feedback. I am happy to PM with you about some things.

Regarding recovery... (again, I am happy to go into detail privately - some things I just don't wish to publicly announce) recovery is such a personal journey that if one isn't ready to recover, or make changes in their lives to move toward recovery, then the best program in the world will not work. Our prison system is not necessarily conducive to recovery, even though there are programs in place to assist with the process. The unfortunate reality of the environment does not lend to the rehabilitation of an individual, and regardless of the strides one might make in program, it's not realistic to apply in the prison milieu. Especially when someone is (for example) incarcerated for a DWI related crime, has no criminal history AT ALL, and has to sit for 2 years in an integrated prison environment literally waiting for treatment. And that is just the DOCCS process - not Gowanda itself.

Again, my thought is this - if you're not ready to make a change in your lifestyle, you won't get much from the programs no matter how well they are implemented. Especially (in my experience) DWI offenders... and I say this because I know them. Sometimes, even rock bottom (ie: taking a life as a result of your actions) do not register as enough to stop repeating the behavior. Further, prison will only be a piece of it. It will be the reentry that will be the challenge, because it is so easy to relapse. So easy to fall back into old habits because alcohol is legally obtained and socially accepted. The adage "people places things" is so true with substance abuse and relapse (which leads to the criminal activity). The environment he returns to will be crucial, and also it will be crucial that he not become lax. He will ALWAYS be in recovery, and every day he will have to make a choice.

I hope this helps, and again, feel free to PM me. These are things I know about - both personally and professionally, so I speak from experience and education.