Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > LOUISIANA > Louisiana Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Louisiana Prison and Jail Specific Discussions Forums for Louisiana prison & jail facilities.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:09 PM

Default All about Tangipahoa Parish Jail

So, in the interest of paying it forward, I'd like to share some information about TP. My boyfriend is serving a one year sentence there.

First of all, you can call the jail at 985-345-6150. Press 2 to get the jail, then press 1 to speak with booking. Usually the other extensions don't answer. The booking officers are generally nice. They'll tell if you if an inmate is there, what his/her charges are, and what dorm he/she is in. They've also informed me of lockdowns when I've called and asked.

Food is terrible, as is access to medical care. There is an active drug trade within the facility, but it is not violent. My boyfriend has only witnessed a few fights, and he says they were very well deserved; in other words, nobody gets jumped for no reason, although there is a lot of trash talk.

The phones work from 6:00am-10:00pm, and you can speak for 15 minutes as many times a day as you'd like. Set up an account at the NCIC website. I won't lie, it's expensive, around $4.25 per 15-minute call. After your inmate calls you and you answer, you can begin to leave him or her voicemails. I really like that feature.

Mail service takes FOREVER.

Send mail to:
Inmate Name, Inmate Number
P.O. Box 250
101 Campo Lane
Amite, LA 70422

They don't seem to limit how many pages or pictures you send, but I sent my guy some logic problems and those were denied for some reason. Yet a lingerie picture made it through. Who knows?

Visitation varies based on what dorm your person is assigned to, and they can have five people on their list at a time. They can change the list every four months. Each inmate gets one 1-hr visit per week. My bf's is Friday evening at 7:00 pm.

You can send your inmate money or commissary via commissarydeposit's website. Many items available online are not available to them at the jail, so they REALLY appreciate those care packages.

Don't be surprised if the inmates go months without seeing the sunlight.... recreation is VERY rare. Rooms are dorm-style (pods) and the inmates sleep in bunk beds. I think a max of 20 people share one two-story room.

That's all I can think of right now, but I'd be happy to answer more questions.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lostandalone16 For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (01-07-2017), Minor activist (10-04-2017), patchouli (01-05-2017), Sarianna (01-06-2017)
Sponsored Links