Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > WENDE HUB PRISONS - NY DOC
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

WENDE HUB PRISONS - NY DOC New York Prisons in the WENDE HUB - Albion, Attica, Orleans, Rochester, Buffalo, Wende, Wyoming, Livingston, Groveland, Collins, Gowanda, Lakeview.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:26 PM
Donation Award 

Angry Entire package "destroyed" at Gowanda!

i spent $30 just to have a care package of cans and treats shipped to a loved one in Gowanda and he called to tell me the entire 33 pound box was "destroyed!"
I spent at least $100 bucks buying all that stuff so he could have some variety in his meals for the Christmas holidays!
This is very hard on me since i am too far to visit and nothing was given to him.

The COs there have got to be stopped!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2016, 03:01 PM

Thanked 11,101 Times in 6,007 Posts

Destroyed how? Was this packed AND shipped by you or by a third-party company? "Destroyed" due to contraband within the box? Destroyed by damage by the shipping company?

WHAT specifically happened and why are you assigning blame to the facility? It is difficult to commiserate in any manner when pertinent details are not available...
Old 12-11-2016, 04:27 PM

Yes... more info. Did you ship it yourself? Have you shipped things before? I have heard similar things happening in Groveland (though, not personally to me), but I am curious to know how the trend is developing.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:40 PM

When a package I'd recieved in NY S, a d not allowed, inmates are given 3 choices....return to sender (paying for shipping) donate, or destrroy. He has to sign to approve.
So more facts are needed, otherwise he needs to file a grievance and submit a claim. Your receipts will be needed, then he can collect after investigation.
But before you call jail, make sure you get all facts....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
carolmach (12-11-2016), newtothis1230 (10-08-2017)
Old 12-14-2016, 06:10 AM
Donation Award 

Default package from home

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
Destroyed how? Was this packed AND shipped by you or by a third-party company? "Destroyed" due to contraband within the box? Destroyed by damage by the shipping company?

WHAT specifically happened and why are you assigning blame to the facility? It is difficult to commiserate in any manner when pertinent details are not available...
yes, it was packed and sent by me. NO! there was NO Contraband (i would not have reason to complain if that were the case).
They told him the package had been "contaminated" and something had leaked in the box. Pictures were supposedly taken but so far, he has not been shown these pics. The contents were cans so i doubt anything was pierced in transit. I've been packing boxes for him for years so i know how to ship/pack a box.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:14 AM
Donation Award 

Default contaminated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolmach View Post
Yes... more info. Did you ship it yourself? Have you shipped things before? I have heard similar things happening in Groveland (though, not personally to me), but I am curious to know how the trend is developing.
they told him the package had leaked and had been contaminated. there were cans in the package so i doubt anything had been pierced during shipping as this is not the first box i have sent to him over the years. This facility has given us a real hard time and they told him pics of the contents were taken before they destroyed it but those pics have not been shown to him yet.
Why couldn't he have received the sealed cans and if something did get pierced, just throw that one item away?
that box cost me about $100 bucks in food items!
Old 12-14-2016, 06:21 AM
Donation Award 

Default package room staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
When a package I'd recieved in NY S, a d not allowed, inmates are given 3 choices....return to sender (paying for shipping) donate, or destrroy. He has to sign to approve.
So more facts are needed, otherwise he needs to file a grievance and submit a claim. Your receipts will be needed, then he can collect after investigation.
But before you call jail, make sure you get all facts....
i only have the tracking receipt from the post office of what i paid to get it shipped. I am sending him a copy with the print out from the website that it was delivered etc.
He was never even shown the box or its contents to prove to him something had "contaminated the contents." They were mostly cans so i don't see how that is possible. They told him pictures were taken before it was destroyed but he hasn't been shown those pics yet.

He DOES have an inventory list of every item that was in the box (an old habit i started when he first went away so he would always know what was sent in case he didn't get all the contents). I mail that list separately to him.

I called the package room and they guy was pretty short with me and that was with me being polite. Like i was taking up his precious time. Was there a game on or something i was keeping him from?? jerk.

Last edited by d in NYC; 12-14-2016 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: forgot a line
Old 12-14-2016, 07:28 AM

I spent almost a year at Gowanda (2008) and the stunts pulled by Gowanda Package Room CO’s were legendary. One guy in my housing unit used to get cigars sent in. He never got all of them and the better the quality of the cigars was, the fewer of them that made it through to him. The Gowanda PR CO’s used to make wacky interpretations of 4911 and make up their own supplementary rules as they went along back then. Getting an entire package without anything disapproved, missing or “destroyed” was a miracle. The single happiest day of my 6 years inside the fence was the day I got shipped out of Gowanda--not the day I got released (which came 3 1/2 years later).
Old 12-14-2016, 08:57 AM

You can file a claim on the USPS site, but if you did not pay for extra insurance, the most they will refund you back is $50. I have made multiple claims for similar issues. With packages to my husband as well as to NC to my own sister. I upload my receipt of the cost, so max value of $50, since I didn't purchase insurance and they mail me a check for $50. I cut my losses and that's it.

The package rooms seem sooo disorganized in a lot of facilities. I know they get overwhelmed but you would think they would have a much better system! I'll never forget the day I had a HUGE package at my doorstep from Wyoming - my husband told me some stuff was being sent back. I said umm okay? I opened it up, smelled to high heaven of rotten raw meat! It wasn't even the stuff I sent! That was $33 in postage out of my husbands account that we went round and round about and no one would issue a credit! Its nuts.. Why they wouldn't have just tossed it there is beyond me.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:17 AM

Well, they are at it again in Gowanda. I sent a LO "going home clothes", packaged as they should be, with a clear note stating who it is for, what is in it, the release date and DIN#... his package was rejected because they said that there was nothing inside indicating the purpose of the package. GRRRR.