Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > WENDE HUB PRISONS - NY DOC
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

WENDE HUB PRISONS - NY DOC New York Prisons in the WENDE HUB - Albion, Attica, Orleans, Rochester, Buffalo, Wende, Wyoming, Livingston, Groveland, Collins, Gowanda, Lakeview.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:26 PM

Default First visit to Groveland

My lo was just transferred to Groveland this week. I went through posts up to 5 years ago, but still had some questions.

How does the visitation process work there? He's been at Gowanda and Orleans, and both have different processes. Is everything done at one spot like at Gowanda with CO's, and where you need to get a locker even for just your keys? Or is it like Orleans where you sign in, sit in a waiting room, to get called to go to where the facility is and can hold onto your keys? Does processing take a long time that you need to get extra early? Is there an outdoor area for the summer, I know the sticky said so but just wanted to make sure it was current.

If I had recently sent him mail before his transfer, will it get forwarded or sent to me? Can he receive mail right away after his transfer? He has a birthday coming up and wanted to send a card.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2017, 08:20 PM

Hi. I am not sure if you have already visited or not, but I will answer anyway My LO has been at Groveland for almost 2 years so I have been there several times. It is WAY different than Gowanda.

I havent been up in a few months - but the last time I was there, I was ion scanned, and I have since heard that facial recognition has been added. Not sure what step that is.

Arrive early - visitors are taken in "groups" of about 5. group 1, 2 and 3 are usually processed and moved quickly (every 15-25 mins) and regardless of the group, the inmates come down at varied times (so, even if you came down in group 1, you might see visitors waiting while people from groups 2 and 3 are arriving before their LO comes in). If your LO is expecting you and is ready when he is called, it is much quicker. Subsequent groups of visitors are processed in the same way, but you will run into delays because of count and brunch (their weekend meals are brunch and dinner).

Anyway, arrive to the check in visitor center at the far end of the property. Signs will lead you in. Park and sign in - know your plate number. Do not worry about bringing your package in. Just get in and fill out your slip and get on the list. Then you can relax and walk back outside, organize your package and prepare yourself. The reception area is nice - the volunteers are pleasant and there is goodies to snack on if you are so inclined. You can have your phone or whatever to keep occupied, and visitors are called by group by the last name of the inmate ("Mr. Smith"). You walk up, collect your slip from the volunteer and walk out. At that point, you can drop your phone off at your car and grab your packages. You are allowed to keep your keys with you.

From there, you walk back out of that area and along the fence to the opening so you can get to the sliding gate. You may have to ring the buzzer but they are expecting. Its a bit of a walk - I would travel light the first visit so you know what to expect. From here, its impossible to get lost - you follow the chains into the next building where you hand in your slip and ID. You are processed, and hand in whatever packages you have there. This is where the metal detector is. After you pass this metal detector, you pass through more gates back to the outside. This is where I encountered the ion scanner (I was rerouted to another building).

From there, you follow the chain tunnels and go through one more double locking gate and into the visit room. Walk up to the CO desk and he will assign you your table. As with most places, its best to sit far from the vending machines LOL... I usually end up near where they take photos. All inmates have to be seated facing the CO desk. Small tables you have to sit across from eachother and big tables, you can sit closer.

Vending machines usually work LOL, but the vending lady that comes in is very nice and always helps out.

They give a warning in the afternoon that you can leave prior to lockdown/ because there's no movement for that half hour or so. Once that is over, you can leave or stay until the end. There is an exterior visit pavilion just like Gowanda, but seats can be limited. The visit room has filled up and I have seen terminations. I have also been terminated once (I am fairly local).

Once you are done, you walk out and back to your car the same way you came in. The bathrooms are acceptable, and usually, its a fairly decent experience (as prison visits go...).

I hope this helps
Old 06-06-2017, 04:33 PM

Thank you for your reply! I've already been twice now so I do have an idea of it but this was so comprehensive, I really appreciate it. You are right, it is definitely different than Gowanda. I came in unprepared the first visit for the wait. This week I brought a book, which made it better.

The metal detectors are also much more sensitive. Both weeks my jean buttons set off the alarm and I wore different pairs to try and not set it off the second week. I had to go sideways through to get it cleared.

Getting there early is much more crucial than it was at Gowanda, but now that I am more acclimated it wasn't a bad experience.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:50 PM

Yes - you will find it is a more pleasant experience than Gowanda on a whole. Different, but much better. And the COs are kinder, as long as you don't abuse visit privileges, they are good to us.

And yes, I often wear linen pants to avoid the buttons going off, but even then, I keep spare clothes in my car. Sometimes, they are picky about pants too. The rule has been pants must have pockets (to avoid leggins, and I have seen several women turned away because their pants are too tight). I was told when I first called there to get info on visits, I was told by the woman to "dress for church". I keep that in mind whenever I go. They are not as bad about shirts as Gowanda was, but I do not push my limits. I wear jeans and a hoodie and I am good to go LOL.

Glad your visits went well. Keep at it

Carol
Old 06-17-2017, 09:37 PM

My husband had just got to groveland Last Thursday and I wanted to know is there a wait period to see them or you can seen them right away and doesn't anybody know any van derives that goes there would love to see him Saturday
Old 06-20-2017, 06:55 PM

There is a wait period. You go into the visitor center, get your number, and then wait to be called. Both times when I went, which were very early before 8am, I had to wait almost 2 hours.

I believe there are vans as I was talking to a girl from NYC in the visiting area who took one, but I don't have information on them.