Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Legal News & Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Legal News & Information Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to the State of Texas.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:16 PM

Default Cant find info on level of offense

Could someone who knows about TX law in reguards to what sort of offense something is please PM me? I dont feel comfortable discussing this is open forum, and I tried jsust searching online but I felt like I wasnt quite finding the information I needed or not understanding what I found. Thank you.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:30 AM

Thanked 11,100 Times in 6,007 Posts

There are multiple 'levels' that enter the discussion...you have level for punishment purpose (ie. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and a few hybrid offenses) in addition to increases due to prior felony convictions. Then there are levels on the offense severity scale used for arriving at the parole guideline score. That chart is on the Board's website. Some offenses have different levels of severity, in which case you move to the NCIC code associated with the specific offense conduct.

In the case of DWI, there is a secondary process that must be used through the DWI supplement.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
There are multiple 'levels' that enter the discussion...you have level for punishment purpose (ie. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and a few hybrid offenses) in addition to increases due to prior felony convictions. Then there are levels on the offense severity scale used for arriving at the parole guideline score. That chart is on the Board's website. Some offenses have different levels of severity, in which case you move to the NCIC code associated with the specific offense conduct.

In the case of DWI, there is a secondary process that must be used through the DWI supplement.

what board website are you referring to? and what is ncic code?
Old 12-31-2017, 08:53 AM

Thanked 11,100 Times in 6,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvmyCandyCaneman View Post
what board website are you referring to? and what is ncic code?
The Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles has its own website. Included in that website are offense severity rankings that run roughly 65-70 pages in length with probably 40-50 offenses per page. Every offense has an NCIC assigned four-digit code so that uniformity can exist in criminal history records nationwide.

All of those offense codes are ranked on roughly an annual basis by the Board as Low, Moderate, High and High+ and are to be factored into the parole guideline score. This is the function of one of the several Committees that the Board has that meet from time to time, often on the morning of regular Board meetings.