Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Legal News & Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Legal News & Information Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to the State of Texas.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:30 AM

Default Husband Extradited to Collin County, Texas no real details on his case

My husband was arrested here in North Las Vegas on Jan 9th it was just a routine traffic stop. He texted to say he was stopped but I just thought at worse he would get a ticket and be on his way.

Next thing I know I am getting a text from a bondlady on facebook saying my husband was arrested and is being held on a out-of-state fugitive warrant. So, I called bonding agents in Harris county where we used to live (I assumed it was some traffic matter that we had overlooked), but nothing. I checked the states criminal database I could find nothing. I called an attorney in Texas she could find nothing. At that point I just wait to get more information, he went to extradition trial the next day. Where he was told he had a warrant in Collin County (we'd never heard of it) but he was given 2 options which we really didn't understand one for 30 days and one for 90 days. He took the 30 days which was I know now to wave extradition.

To make a very long story short I posted on facebook out of desperation for help and a friend of mine posted to a law group shes apart of and I then found out the warrant was 2 forgery warrants with a bond amount of $10,000 each. No fine..I thought there must have been some mistake I hired an attorney who really has been no help, he was licensed in both Texas and Nevada I thought that would be an advantage but it has not been any help at all. We really did not think he would be extradited we thought whatever the error was it would be corrected as he was set to go back to court on Feb. 14.

So I think I need to hire an attorney this time in Collin County specifically. I do not want to make the same mistake and get the wrong guy again because our resources are limited now that my husband has probably lost his job. Really so upset I have read the horror stories about this extradition bus trip and I have heard nothing from him not even a phone call to let me know he was being extradited the jail would tell me nothing it was one of the few things the attorney was able to find out.

So here is my Hail Mary, does anyone know of a good attorney in or around Collin County? I do not want my husband in custody for one extra minute once he is done with this horror trip across country, but I can't think of that right now, I think we need a civil attorney as well..but I just need to get him out of custody first. My husband has NEVER been in any trouble well, beyond speeding ticket..is it even possible to get him bonded and will they allow him to come home to Vegas?

I would appreciate ANY Advice.

Thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2018, 01:45 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 34,778 Times in 16,036 Posts

Hi corpor8chic, welcome to PTO What a mess, and I'm sorry that you & your husband find yourselves knee deep in it I can't answer your questions, but have moved your thread to the Texas sub-forum for Texas legal information. Sending you both some positive energy...keep your chins up! Other members will have better advice & information for you, so keep checking back

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
corpor8chic (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 01:59 PM

Default Thank you so much I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Hi corpor8chic, welcome to PTO What a mess, and I'm sorry that you & your husband find yourselves knee deep in it I can't answer your questions, but have moved your thread to the Texas sub-forum for Texas legal information. Sending you both some positive energy...keep your chins up! Other members will have better advice & information for you, so keep checking back
It is a hot mess..lol thank you again!
The Following User Says Thank You to corpor8chic For This Useful Post:
patchouli (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 02:03 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 34,778 Times in 16,036 Posts

Has he been able to call or write to you yet? Do not discuss the case stuff on the phone, its monitored. Your mail going in will be read...if he is allowed to seal his envelope before mailing a letter, his to you will not be read (some facilities read outgoing, some do not, but he'll know if his is read or not).

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 01-30-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Has he been able to call or write to you yet? Do not discuss the case stuff on the phone, its monitored. Your mail going in will be read...if he is allowed to seal his envelope before mailing a letter, his to you will not be read (some facilities read outgoing, some do not, but he'll know if his is read or not).
Well he just left Las Vegas yesterday, and he has not been able to call. I know this is the torturous part, the waiting. Good advice on the phone but we had nothing to say over the phone except, "well what could it be?" "what did I do?" we literally know nothing about the case except the charge is a felony charge for forgery with a financial instrument x 2. He has never been to court for this or been notified about the complaint. We don't know who it is that is making this claim. Hopefully the attorney will be able to find something out today. I'll keep this thread updated as I find out for anyone out there who enters this same twilight zone that I have found myself in. I have no idea who the transport company is at this point or how long this will take. The attorney is supposed to call and find these details out for us.

Thank you again, and for this site its such a great resource I appreciate it!
The Following User Says Thank You to corpor8chic For This Useful Post:
patchouli (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 02:53 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,816 Times in 1,599 Posts

Sorry to hear about what you are dealing with. Not knowing really is the worst.
I don't have any experience with this site but if you run his name through the Collin County Active Warrant lookup it may give you more information on the case, or at least when the original warrant was filed.
https://apps.collincountytx.gov/judicialrecords/warrant

Have you hired a local attorney yet?
AR PCS (01-30-2018), patchouli (01-30-2018), xolady (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Sorry to hear about what you are dealing with. Not knowing really is the worst.
I don't have any experience with this site but if you run his name through the Collin County Active Warrant lookup it may give you more information on the case, or at least when the original warrant was filed.

Have you hired a local attorney yet?
Hello there,

Thank you for that information, but he is not on there, its very strange it seems Colin County has this secret database for whatever reason that is not part of the public domain. I am talking to a firm in Colin tomorrow, coincidentally the girl checked that website as well, and found nothing.

We still have the lawyer also from Houston but I am not pleased with him. I feel like he was hired to stop this extradition and has not been effective.

Thank you so much for the information but I think only prayer can help us at this point.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:49 PM

Thanked 11,098 Times in 6,006 Posts

There are any number of reasons why he may not be in the listings on the Collin County website. First and foremost is that he may not have been indicted yet. Without an indictment, there is no Cause Number to be found in most instances. The other common reason is that forgery cases sometimes get filed under the name that was forged. The AKA section of criminal history records for forgers is sometimes several dozen names long, with a similar number of dates of birth.

If he was still in jail after 90 days without indictment, then he would be entitled to a PR bond.

He knows who he was hanging around with that was coloring outside the lines. Things of this nature rarely occur in a vacuum. He either used someone's credit card without permission, shuttled information between locations or cashed a check given to him by someone. There are other things that can result in a charge of forgery, but those are the most common at the State level.

As far as counsel, you will be looking primarily at Dallas and Collin County. Be aware that someone in Dallas County may charge more because there is the travel across the lake. It adds up since the routes are limited. On a felony, expect somewhere between $5-6K at a minimum for someone decent. If there is a trial, then add another $10-15K to that total, if not more. Or he can take his chance with an assignment from the wheel, which is a rotation of local counsel on the appointment list.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
nimuay (01-30-2018), patchouli (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
There are any number of reasons why he may not be in the listings on the Collin County website. First and foremost is that he may not have been indicted yet. Without an indictment, there is no Cause Number to be found in most instances. The other common reason is that forgery cases sometimes get filed under the name that was forged. The AKA section of criminal history records for forgers is sometimes several dozen names long, with a similar number of dates of birth.

If he was still in jail after 90 days without indictment, then he would be entitled to a PR bond.

He knows who he was hanging around with that was coloring outside the lines. Things of this nature rarely occur in a vacuum. He either used someone's credit card without permission, shuttled information between locations or cashed a check given to him by someone. There are other things that can result in a charge of forgery, but those are the most common at the State level.

As far as counsel, you will be looking primarily at Dallas and Collin County. Be aware that someone in Dallas County may charge more because there is the travel across the lake. It adds up since the routes are limited. On a felony, expect somewhere between $5-6K at a minimum for someone decent. If there is a trial, then add another $10-15K to that total, if not more. Or he can take his chance with an assignment from the wheel, which is a rotation of local counsel on the appointment list.
Thank you for the information, I was more looking for specific information about attorneys who have handled similar cases not really concerned about a fee schedule as this can be negotiated I am sure...but I have a few I am talking to this week. I just want to make sure we get the right firm.

Thank you again.