Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > VIRGINIA > Virginia General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Virginia General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Virginia that do not fit into any other Virginia sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:47 PM

Default Transfer from Jail to Prison: Will calling DOC weekly speed things up?

I've called the DOC and they have told me my boyfriends paperwork has been processed and they are waiting for a bed. I called again and they said since he's been in City for over a year his time is coming up. After talking to him tonight he said he's heard if you keep calling them weekly it could speed things up. Can anyone give me insight as to if repeatedly calling actually could actually speed things up?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2018, 05:53 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 34,779 Times in 16,037 Posts

I've never heard of it helping....really it go either way = what if they keep him in county longer because you call weekly. Or transfer him repeatedly. Retaliation is always a possibility

At one point a few years ago, My Mr was always wanting me to call the county jail / DOC etc....it took forever and several transfers for him to make it the classification facility. That means his property was lost in the shuffle and he wasn't in any one facility long enough to get any commissary.

Moral of story: Choose your battles carefully.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (04-05-2018), xolady (04-06-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 06:38 PM

This is exactly what I'm unsure of and why I feel mixed about doing this. on one hand I have a friends husband telling me it could help on the other hand I have this feeling it could make matters worse.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kitkat325 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (04-05-2018), xolady (04-06-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 07:44 PM

I wish I could give you some information, but I can't. My ex continuously pressed me to call and "harass" them until he was transferred. I wouldn't do it after the first phone call. I was told they needed paperwork from the court where he was sentenced. When I contacted the court, they said it was in the system already and they had access to it all. After that, honestly, I didn't want to deal with getting the runaround multiple times.

He was in jail for 8 months before being transferred to a classification center. He was there for maybe 3 months, and he's now been in prison for going on 6 months. I know it can be dependent on available beds. I've also read they transfer people who are closer to their probation dates first.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rigora For This Useful Post:
patchouli (04-05-2018), xolady (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 04:41 AM

As long as his time is counting down, let it be. That's him making you responsible for something there is no contro! over.
Putting a spotlight to him (and you) is never a good idea.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
patchouli (04-06-2018), xolady (04-06-2018)