Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Georgia Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:18 AM
MarF

Default I'm not approved yet but can I drive his mom to visit and wait?

So, my boyfriend was finally transferred to his permanent prison. He was at Jackson almost 3 weeks and was able to call us a few times before leaving.

I'm not approved for visitation yet but his mother obviously is. She wants to go visit him this weekend. She asked me to give her a ride but on the GDC website I read on there only people allowed to visit can go...nobody is allowed to wait outside in their cars. So, i assume there is no waiting area inside either? I just don't want to take her down there and then have to go spend hours somewhere else near by just waiting.... I forgot to ask this when I called for info yesterday and it's the weekend so nobody answers the phone for questions.

any similar experiences?? TIA
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2018, 09:01 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 34,759 Times in 16,025 Posts

I'm not familiar with Georgia, but generally speaking: No. You can't wait on the property at all. Like a cab, uber or whatnot, you could possibly drop her off and leave the property. You'd have to guess when to return as she cannot take her purse / cell phone unless they have lockers for visitors.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Mrangel89 (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 09:01 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 10,823 Times in 4,498 Posts

You may ne able to take her and drop her off but you wont be able to wait on site or in the car park. If there is a gatehouse at the front entrance you may not be allowed past there and so she may have a longish walk to get to the building.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
Mrangel89 (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 09:10 AM
MarF

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytayah View Post
You may ne able to take her and drop her off but you wont be able to wait on site or in the car park. If there is a gatehouse at the front entrance you may not be allowed past there and so she may have a longish walk to get to the building.
thank you! I figured as much. She'll be okay. She's able to drive herself and has 2 other sons who are on the visitation list so she'll be fine. I think she just feels more comfortable b/c I'm always with them guiding them and interpreting for them and this is their first visit and they have NO IDEA what to expect.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrangel89 View Post
thank you! I figured as much. She'll be okay. She's able to drive herself and has 2 other sons who are on the visitation list so she'll be fine. I think she just feels more comfortable b/c I'm always with them guiding them and interpreting for them and this is their first visit and they have NO IDEA what to expect.
Hopely things will go smoothly for her. The first time can be pretty anxious because of the unknowns. It gets easier once you have gone through the process a few times. Each prison in Georgia has it's differences regarding visitation. Some are more laid back than others, but you need to be prepared to wait to get through security. You will likely have your fingerprint taken. Leave everything in your car except your ID, your car keys, and a bag of quarters if you want to buy things out of the vending machines. Some facilities now have vending machines that take a credit cards. These facilities let you take a single credit card in, but you have present the card when you go through security. Please be aware that cars are routinely searched in the visitor lot.

Sometimes you can be turned away if you show up to close to the noon count, and your visit might be cut short on busy holidays.

Be very careful about clothing. I think women have a tougher time than men in this regard, but children's clothing can also lead to visitors being turned away. If in doubt bring a backup change of clothes, specially if the facility is faraway from a Walmart or someplace else you can buy clothes.

See the following GDC link for more information: http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/sites/de...ation_FAQs.pdf

Hang in there, and hopefully you are provided to visit soon.

Last edited by K6770; 05-05-2018 at 11:19 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K6770 For This Useful Post:
maytayah (05-05-2018), xolady (05-06-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 11:29 AM
MarF

Quote:
Originally Posted by K6770 View Post
Hopely things will go smoothly for her. The first time can be pretty anxious because of the unknowns. It gets easier once you have gone through the process a few times. Each prison in Georgia has it's differences regarding visitation. Some are more laid back than others, but you need to be prepared to wait to get through security. You will likely have your fingerprint taken. Leave everything in your car except your ID, your car keys, and a bag of quarters if you want to buy things out of the vending machines. Some facilities now have vending machines that take a credit cards. These facilities let you take a single credit card in, but you have present the card when you go through security. Please be aware that cars are routinely searched in the visitor lot.

Sometimes you can be turned away if you show up to close to the noon count, and your visit might be cut short on busy holidays.

Be very careful about clothing. I think women have a tougher time than men in this regard, but children's clothing can also lead to visitors being turned away. If in doubt bring a backup change of clothes, specially if the facility is faraway from a Walmart or someplace else you can buy clothes.

See the following GDC link for more information:

Hang in there, and hopefully you are provided to visit soon.

Thank you so much! Do you know if the cash limit is for each visitor or for all visitors that day?
Old 05-05-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrangel89 View Post
Thank you so much! Do you know if the cash limit is for each visitor or for all visitors that day?
I believe the amount is per visitor, but worst case they just say you have to take a credit card or bag of change back to a car.
The Following User Says Thank You to K6770 For This Useful Post:
xolady (05-06-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 06:13 AM
I LOVE MY MUSLIM MAN!

I don’t advise credit cards. Go the old school quarters route. I’ve seen too many people sit
Through long visits snackless because the machines decided not to take cards that say.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SexyChef1 For This Useful Post:
Mrangel89 (05-22-2018), xolady (05-19-2018)