Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, halfway houses, community service and electronic monitoring in Pennsylvania should be posted here.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:34 AM

Default Home Plan Review Approval Process in Pennsylvania

Can someone please give me detailed information as to what the parole board/agent looks at/reviews when making a decision as to whether a home plan is acceptable? My husband is going back up for parole again soon and we're anticipating a green sheet with a date this time around (yes, optimistic thinking). Since he's been away we've moved into a new house and we're just curious as to what they look at or consider and how quickly they decide, i.e., whether they tell you at the visit or if you have to wait for a decision in the mail. Please let me know. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjp4life View Post
Can someone please give me detailed information as to what the parole board/agent looks at/reviews when making a decision as to whether a home plan is acceptable? My husband is going back up for parole again soon and we're anticipating a green sheet with a date this time around (yes, optimistic thinking). Since he's been away we've moved into a new house and we're just curious as to what they look at or consider and how quickly they decide, i.e., whether they tell you at the visit or if you have to wait for a decision in the mail. Please let me know. Thanks!
When a field agent comes to the home that will be possibly where the parolee will live, "his home plan" the most important thing the agent will take into account is how will this living arrangement contribute to the rehabilitative needs of the parolee and if there will be sufficient support either by family members or friends at that residence (if someone is living there also). They will see what type of area the home/apartment is located in. Transportation ability (car, bus, train, etc), employment ability in area. Also who is living in the home. ETC. They want to make sure it will be a good environment for the parolee. There can not be any weapons or alcohol in the home. If there are large dogs that may be an issue. Any felons living in the home (this does not mean it will be denied, it depends on the crime of the parolee and the one living at the home.) The best you can do is be upfront and honest with the field agent. The idea is that you must build a good rapport with the agent so you give him/her a comfort zone so they know that if things are not right with the parolee that you will be willing to aid what ever way you can and to be honest with the PO so he/she can help. There must be a trust factor that the field agent has to sense. The agent will normally not tell you at the time of the visit if the plan will be approved. The inmate will be advised by his in house parole officer or councilor once the paperwork is returned. The time for a home plan answer varies but there is no given deadline that it must be done by. Some say it takes 2 weeks and some more and up to 45 days once the inmate submits it to his councilor. The home plan investigation may not be initiated until after a decision has come through for parole and sometimes sooner. So all I can tell you is once he has his hearing start looking for business cards on your front door from a field agent or a phone call. If you do get a card or call be sure you call the agent back immediately. Some have been known to deny a home plan because there was no response or not one in a timely manner. My LovedOne had his hearing and one week later his parole agent came to my home and one week after that my loved one found out that the home plan was approved (his green sheet took 9 more weeks to come back after that-12 weeks in total) Be patient. So it was fast, sometimes takes much longer; no time line to really go by. They may not call when they come either. That's what this po did. He just stopped by unannounced. I was not home. He left his business card and I called him back. He came back two days later. All went well. Just let the field agent see you have a sincere interest in the parolee.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:33 PM

Default Does contact from parole about home plan visit mean parole has been granted

I’ve heard that if the “home plan” contact has been contacted by the institutional parole agent, then one can assume parole had been granted? Any validity in this?
Old 09-19-2018, 07:37 PM

Thanked 2,969 Times in 1,798 Posts

You would think so or why bother. Hope someone can answer your questions soon. Fingers crossed!
Old 09-19-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl17 View Post
You would think so or why bother. Hope someone can answer your questions soon. Fingers crossed!

Right?!? U never know...wonders never cease with these state agencies. Thanks for the quick reply!!
Old 09-21-2018, 11:13 AM

Exclamation

First and foremost thank u so very much for the detailed response. My apologies for not having responded sooner. He had his 4th parole board hearing last Monday and still has yet to receive his green sheet; however, in comparison to the previous denials 1) the denials came within the week of the hearing and 2) I’ve been contacted by the insitutional parole agent inquiring about the home plan, ie, where will he sleep, who else resides in the home, etc. I found the former question hilarious as I’m his legally wedded wife so obviously we will sleep together in our home and our bedroom and in our bed lol. At any rate, we own a single home on 3 acres of woods so I can’t imagine that would be an issue. We do have one neighbor who is in walking distance and our area combines a town/borough “urban” area as well as more rural territory such as our land. They inquired about employment and household income and we are good in that area as he’s already secured employment, as well as other verifiable, legal income sources for us both. There aren’t any large dogs or weapons, and since it’s just us two and our minor son, no one smokes, drinks alcohol. I’d be very interested in your thoughts given the foregoing info. Anxiously awaiting your reply. Again, thanks much for your feedback.
The Following User Says Thank You to bjp4life For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 11:20 AM

Exclamation

Just curious as to what they looked at or asked about the home plan when investigating (actual visit). My husband was reviewed for the 4th time last Monday and we’ve heard from the insitutional parole agent concerning the home plan he submitted. This is very different than the other three times as he was denied each of those times, received the denial green sheet in the same week of the hearing/meeting and we’ve never ever been contacted about home plan before. What are your thoughts? Could this actually be coming true after 16 long years? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!
Old 09-23-2018, 06:19 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,264 Posts

I have merged posts from three threads into one because they are all related and originated from the same member.

The current information is that agents are sent to investigate home plans when it "appears" the individual is going to be paroled. This doesn't mean all the votes have been counted, but that the process seems to be going in the right direction.

This is happening because the DOC is now responsible for parole supervision and that includes investigating the home plans, while the PBPP is still charged with deciding if parole is granted or denied. So the DOC has chosen to anticipate parole rather than wait until all the votes are in, meaning they're reasonably sure someone will be paroled and they get a jump on the process.

Last edited by bobble60; 09-23-2018 at 06:27 AM..
Old 09-25-2018, 07:55 PM

So, as of this morning, less than a week after the institutional parole agent contacted me about the home plan did I receive a call from the district parole agent wanting to schedule a time to investigate the home. I’m just in awe of how quickly things are happening and we’ve to get a green sheet indicating granting or denial of parole. This is our 4th review and none of this has ever happened let alone his 3 previous denials were given 3 days after the hearing(s) and it’s been over 2 weeks and still we haven’t heard anything. So, we are continuing to be patient and praying but are so very hopeful that this is our time. Any thoughts?