Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

View Poll Results: How Much Do You Send Each Month?
0-$19.99 13 5.18%
$20-$39.99 25 9.96%
$40-$59.99 34 13.55%
$60-$69.99 16 6.37%
$70 or more 142 56.57%
I don't send any money 21 8.37%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2010, 10:18 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,652 Times in 1,769 Posts

I sent my daughter $50/week while in county and $40/week in TDC. But you know kids, it was never enough Always some drama thing going on where she needs this and she needs that. Oh, and the spreads.... I think she participated in spreads everynight...

Diane

People that matter don't mind, and People that mind don't matter!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2010, 11:54 AM

Diane did that include phone calls?

We, being my parents, step-parents and I, are not sure what to send. None of us want her to be totally destitute, but we do not wish to finance phone calls to the boyfriend. Things are tough for all of us and some of us do not think she should be in communication with him at all. Others of us do not care but still do not wish to finance communication.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:18 PM

I try and make sure my baby has what he needs so every 3 months i send him a package and every month i send 40$..i think thats good for now snce i work very little and go to school.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Account Closed

I budget for the two of us. So, I ask him to do a budget on things so I can send him that much. So, now that he's transferred I'm waiting for this to happen. Meanwhile I'm sending him less which is $30 a week to max out at $120 a month. When he was in county it was $40 per week which maxed out at $160. Yay we save $40. Because it's coming out of our account.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:19 AM

I send the father of my niece, on average, about $60 per month, perhaps a bit more. He doesn't ask but is much appreciative of what I do send him. Considering I reached out to him after 14 years of no contact with me, or sadly his daughter :-( , anything I send is a godsend, I'm sure.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictsmom View Post
I sent my daughter $50/week while in county and $40/week in TDC. But you know kids, it was never enough Always some drama thing going on where she needs this and she needs that. Oh, and the spreads.... I think she participated in spreads everynight...

Diane
What are the spreads???
Old 11-30-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeza View Post
My loved one was moved from county last week to a transfer facility.

I know whatever money he had left on his books at county will eventually transfer.

I have no way of knowing how long he will be at his present location, but sent money thru JPay.

My question is this...Is money sent thru JPay accesable to the person at any TDCJ facility they maybe transferred to? Or does the money have to wait to be transferred from the facility he is at to another thru JPay?

I hope this isn't a coo-coo question, but if for some reason he has to take the &quot;Texas Tour&quot; I'm curious if I will have to fund an account at each stop while he waits for his money to catch up with him.
Jpay is magical. The inmate will get their money and mail very quickly when it is used. (This is the only thing I've used - others may do the same, btw). My inmate was moved without me knowing about it and he received his letter sent via jpay the next day. And the account is for the person not the unit so that should be available no matter what.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:39 PM

I try to send my son $40/$50 per month, his wife is trying to keep their children with a roof over their head and food on the table and has nothing left over to send, they have 4 children and this is the most I can afford and he seems to do OK with it, he knows we would send more if we had it, but it does keep him in hygiene items, stamps and a few food items and his coffee.

Joey's Mom

Old 01-23-2011, 06:25 PM

I send mine $120 a month plus $85 on the phone. And spend $70 in gas every two weeks to go and visit him. For holidays or his borthdays I will send him some magazines and such.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:52 PM

My dad and I split my brothers expenses and each send 35 dollars per month so he has a total of seventy dollars per month. Sometimes I cheat and send a ten along the way.

When my husband was in I sent him fifty dollars a month and his mother would send about twenty to twenty five. He has sisters too that would send a twenty here and there.

That's my general rule on money sending cause too much money can find trouble at a card game or whatever else they aren't supposed to have. I keep a close eye on commisary prices and add up what they need per month. Like I said occasionally I send those little ten dollar surprises. Once or twice a year special needs come up...my brother needed a new t.v. this year his was ten years old and the buttons finally stopped working so we make exceptions for special purchases.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:13 PM

Wish i could send some money to my man, too I don't have much but i can not send even that little i have. I don't live in USA and we don't use money orders and can not even send through j-pay...so i am desperate to figure out how to do this It was me who offered to send him money and now i feel like i am betraying him because i don't find a way to send. Cash is forbidden to send Can anybody help me with this?
Old 02-07-2011, 12:34 AM

I send mine $80 a month but when he accomplish something that Im proud of I send more. like this month I sent 500 so that should hold him for a few months.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:05 AM

For those who send a lot of money each month, you do know that TDCJ inmates in general population can only spend $85 every 2 weeks, and those in Ad Seg have a lower spending limit? I can understand that it is good to have a little cushion of cash built up, just in case one month you can't send them anything, but TDCJ inmate accounts don't gain any interest whereas a free-world account usually does.

I send Hubby about $80 a month.
The Following User Says Thank You to airmiles For This Useful Post:
Renee (07-06-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 04:13 AM
Banned

Let us also not forget that there are items that do not count towards their spend limits either. Shoes, fans, radios, typewriters, hot pots.. things that are generally a ONE time buy and require property slips to purchase. My wife would send me 90$ every 2 weeks, I'd call her 2 days before we'd go to store and she'd jpay it while on the phone with her. Never once missed a spend. My initial deposit was close to 200$, to compensate for property slips that I had put in for both boots and shoes, a watch and my regular spend. Holiday spends are pushed up to 100$ as well. (Christmas and Thanksgiving). Over my 2 year period there, I think she sent me close to 3k. That's not including the 80 a month on phone as well. Another 1920$, almost 5 grand in 2 years.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:53 PM

I send $50 a week totaling $200 a month. it gets expensive but they don't really feed him in there so he has to buy things like tuna and noodles to get buy. plus its all 75% mark up ugh.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:10 PM
Donation Award 

I do not send every month, but I have sent about $40 in 5 months.. Never really thought about sending money until my pp did not write for about a week and she said it was because she bought hygiene products instead of stamps ( I think she said makes .45 an hour?? Could be wrong on that). And i send about 2-3 letters a week and we write a ton so i realized it was actually costing her money to write me. I ( so i try to make sure she does not waste what little money she may have on me) have also sent her some writing supplies so she would not have to pay for them. In fact she is the only person i have written to that has never asked for anything..LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to whoknewbutu For This Useful Post:
Jessicasgirl (12-01-2018)
Old 09-28-2011, 09:01 AM

Hmm...too much!!! Probably $100-150...which I wouldn't care about if I had the money but its tight right now so my hunny made sure he is making what he does have stretch. On top of costs to go visit every weekend plus a landline phone & not to mention the price of the calls on top of that...it gets expensive.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:11 AM

Thank god for my in-laws they send him 100 a month!!! I buy phone time and stamps and pay for land line
Old 12-01-2018, 12:13 AM

They take a while when they move to a different prison there is an in take process be patient he will get a hold of you soon

QUOTE=tina hovis;5504035]Honestly I dont even know how much Ray can eve
n have when he was at Pontiact he refused to allow me to send him any money. Now he is at Lawrence I havent heard from him yet. Actually no one in the family has. ; ([/quote]
Old 12-01-2018, 12:16 AM

Any amount you send her she should be thankful for it and it should be good enough
QUOTE=addictsmom;5690745]I sent my daughter $50/week while in county

and $40/week in TDC. But you know kids, it was never enough Always some drama thing going on where she needs this and she needs that. Oh, and the spreads.... I think she participated in spreads everynight...

Diane[/quote]
Old 12-01-2018, 12:24 AM

Default Hi

Where are you from do western union or money gram

QUOTE=angeleye;5942457]Wish i could send some money to my man, too I do
n't have much but i can not send even that little i have. I don't live in USA and we don't use money orders and can not even send through j-pay...so i am desperate to figure out how to do this It was me who offered to send him money and now i feel like i am betraying him because i don't find a way to send. Cash is forbidden to send Can anybody help me with this?[/quote]
Old 12-01-2018, 02:58 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 4,566 Times in 2,002 Posts

Jessicasgirl - appreciate your comments & advice, however you might want to check how old the threads are that you are responding to -- this one, for example, is from 2010 and most of the people who have posted haven't been logging in for a few years now. Not a big deal, it's okay to post in old threads too but just a little friendly advice for a new member

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (12-01-2018), maytayah (12-01-2018)