Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Arizona that do not fit into any other Arizona sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:19 PM

Default How often or how rare is it for COs to lose an inmate's property?

How often or how rare is it for COs to lose an inmates property when moving between units and it taking months for the inmate to get it back?

Any stories or personal experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2018, 02:04 PM

I’m not sure about them losing property, but my penpal had loads of stuff taken off him a few months ago when moving from a 4 to a 3 yard. His own fault, had too much stuff, but they even confiscated some things on his hard file too.
The Following User Says Thank You to KiwiPP For This Useful Post:
jordan321 (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 04:03 PM

It’s happened to my guy a couple times - loads of stuff lost! I was so mad bc doc doesn’t want to replace it - they get a super long time to replace when it’s grieved when lost in a move and then they only have to replace I believe it’s like a 1/4 - totally not right. People don’t have the money to keep replacing things - some stuff was found later bc they had ended up never putting it on the bus w him (only put some of his boxes not all) but a lot never turned up. And another time inmates took stuff when he was moved to another unit w in the same place bc the cos didn’t go get his stuff right away so his stuff was taken - very aggravating. You can sadly pretty much consider it gone but yes so aggravating!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mjc916 For This Useful Post:
jordan321 (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 04:26 PM

So from what it sounds you guys are talking about things inmate buy , what about paperwork / letters / address book. That type if stuff?
Old 12-23-2018, 08:04 PM
Mischief Makin' Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,222 Times in 1,572 Posts

It's not at all uncommon for things to get lost during a move.

The Following User Says Thank You to IzzyLouWho For This Useful Post:
jordan321 (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan321 View Post
So from what it sounds you guys are talking about things inmate buy , what about paperwork / letters / address book. That type if stuff?
My PP had a lot taken, not just things bought from commissary. Letters and photos of family members too.
jordan321 (12-23-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 02:03 PM

Do you all know if when someone is approved ( phone calls &/or visitation) if they tell the inmate the phone # or they just say _____ is approved ?
Old 12-24-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan321 View Post
Do you all know if when someone is approved ( phone calls &/or visitation) if they tell the inmate the phone # or they just say _____ is approved ?
Not sure hun, I gave my PP my Skype number in a letter so hard to tell haha. He’s already phoned today but I’ll ask him when he calls tomorrow for you!
jordan321 (12-24-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 01:35 AM

My guy sent me the paper they gave him stating I was approved (don’t know why he sent it to me no reason for me to have it) but none the less all it said was my name w approved circled on it (denied was an option to be circled as well but obv I wasn’t) so no my number was not listed on it. Not sure if it was just that prison or all my guess is it’s prob the same at all but you can call and check. I had done the same as the person above did and write my number in a letter (he knew it but just a reminder since he had not been able to call in a bit) rather than depend on doc
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mjc916 For This Useful Post:
jordan321 (12-25-2018), KiwiPP (12-25-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 08:23 PM

Oh okay i was just wondering because i sent him the # but he was saying that when he called it wasnt connected. So i was wondering if they had the wrong number amd/or he read it wrong. Thank you ! Happy holidays ��
The Following User Says Thank You to jordan321 For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (12-25-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 09:47 PM
Mischief Makin' Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,222 Times in 1,572 Posts

Let's stay on topic please.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:45 AM

Inmates are always in possession of their property. Even during transfer to other yards. We load it on the bus/van and USUALLY the yard procedures have us walking to property with our property for inspection.

COs who search our houses when we are not their (like at work), are usually pretty good about not taking things. If they do take it, they give us a seized property slip, with the due process required to get items back.

Ive heard people not getting their property for a couple weeks for investigative purposes but it always ends up showing up eventually.

In terms of orders books/cds - I have never had or problem nor have i heard any rumors on the yard of missing property.
The Following User Says Thank You to Citadel3 For This Useful Post:
jordan321 (12-26-2018)
Old 01-07-2019, 01:47 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,592 Times in 615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadel3 View Post
Inmates are always in possession of their property. Even during transfer to other yards. We load it on the bus/van and USUALLY the yard procedures have us walking to property with our property for inspection.

COs who search our houses when we are not their (like at work), are usually pretty good about not taking things. If they do take it, they give us a seized property slip, with the due process required to get items back.

Ive heard people not getting their property for a couple weeks for investigative purposes but it always ends up showing up eventually.

In terms of orders books/cds - I have never had or problem nor have i heard any rumors on the yard of missing property.
I have to disagree. When my son was sent to the hole for 3 days until they determines the charges were false, his stuff was taken by other inmates. He had to go round it up and get it back. Then when he was moved some of his stuff wasn't put on the bus during the transfer between buses. Someone else pointed it out to him and he was able to get it in time. Then at the new facility he had to talk with the property officer to get some of his stuff back. Along the process, they confiscated some things that were permitted at the private prison but not at the state run facility.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:30 AM

You are correct. During transfers to the hole, your property is vulnerable. COs dont always secure the property in a timely fashion. I was referring more to yard to yard transfers.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:11 AM

Concerning the topic on property. My son had been transferred a few times in last 10 years throughout AZ state.
It’s pretty much up up to the guards and drivers on how much personal stuff you get to take with you when your transferred. And how much left they promise they will send to you later and later never comes.
My sons last 4 movements.
Kingman for first 3 yrs of 12- there was a riot. The locks worked. He couldn’t get out of his cell to see what was going on. Thank God! Few hours later he was loaded up and bussed to Yuma. He received some property, except for shower shoes his sneakers were gone. So he had no shoes, only 1 of 3 shirts, only pants he got was just the ones he was wearing. He got his fan and tv. Nothing else. I had to buy him another set of clothes and shoes. So yes things get left.
Now he’s in Yuma. He Was there for a few years. Had a riot. Locks did not work this time, transferred to Buckeye.
His property that wasn’t destroyed in the riot in Yuma was sent with him to Buckeye. Still loss of all hygiene, drawings and underclothes.
Then rolled up again in January 2019 off to Florence. Central. Tv and half if clothes came. Again $ out for new shoes, socks, that never came back to him. He was in Florence Central unit barely 2 months maybe.
Rolled up again. Transferred to Yuma County Detention Center. Him only and clothes he had on. Nothing went with him as he was just “ out to court” and I guess it’s like his cell will just sit there with all his stuff in it until he comes home. Lol. Not! So again all is lost as he’s been gone for 6 months now.
Currently being charged as a street charge for participating in a riot.
I just was actually able to drop off reading glasses and shoes for him at the detention center.
So there it is. My story. Hope everyone else has better story’s than mine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parkertohavasu For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (06-10-2019), Ricoluv29 (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 12:02 PM

Was hoping for better news but I guess this is what to expect of DOC.
My man was sent to the detention unit and all the CO’s told him was “either your things were stolen or in your property” He called me and said to check so I called property and she said she would check but then hung up on me.. Hah.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoluv29 For This Useful Post:
Parkertohavasu (06-05-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 01:40 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,592 Times in 615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoluv29 View Post
Was hoping for better news but I guess this is what to expect of DOC.
My man was sent to the detention unit and all the CO’s told him was “either your things were stolen or in your property” He called me and said to check so I called property and she said she would check but then hung up on me.. Hah.
When my son was sent to the hole, all he had was his clothes on his back and socks on his feet. All his stuff was gone, no one secured it (Kingman-Cerbat). He managed to go around and collect all his stuff from the inmates. None of it was put into property. After he got it all, he was then put back in the hole until his transfer (a month), but because it was at their request (to prevent a possible riot), he was allowed to take all his stuff with him.

Then the transfer to Tucson and if someone hadn't told him that only 1 box was on the bus, he would have lost it all if he hadn't been able to address the issue right then. It all went to property in Tucson to be checked first, and some stuff they did not give him - alarm clock and watch are the ones I remember, but there was more. He went to property several times before he was able to get most of it back. Some items they said were not allowed - sunglasses that had not been sold in the past 5 years. Why he couldn't have his watch, we never figured out. He learned quickly that one property clerk was difficult and not to go when that person was on duty.

I suspect that his stuff is gone, dispersed by other inmates who help themselves.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizlizzie2 View Post
I suspect that his stuff is gone, dispersed by other inmates who help themselves.
Yes.. Its all gone. Hes on a different yard now so no collecting things back.. It's a shame they do nothing about it. So much money wasted.