Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Arizona that do not fit into any other Arizona sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:33 AM

Default What are Arizona's determining factors in which prison hes placed in?

Hi everyone,
My husband is currently in county awaiting sentencing, Im wondering if the address he gives when he goes the el hombra Will be a determining factor in which prison hes placed in? We live in Arizona on the west side of Phoenix so does that mean hell go to the prison thats closest to our home address? Or does that have nothing to do with anything? Also is the amount of time hell be serving a determining factor, anything information helps! I just cant wait for him to get out of county so that our son and I can go visit him, we miss him a lot! Its been a rough 2 weeks for us and we still have a VERY longtime before well see him outside of the prison system. Thank you to anyone who is able to help with this!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2019, 11:40 AM

Generally most states determine placement based on the crime and the level of violence. Placement close to home plays less of a role than the level of security the prison holds. Presuming this is being prosecuted by the State and not a federal offense the only thing you can be certain of is that he will be housed within the state. Of course there are some cases where even that isn't true but those are generally very high profile national cases where the state will house an inmate in another state and not publicly disclose their placement due to safety.
The Following User Says Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
bonnie831 (02-09-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 11:34 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,669 Times in 637 Posts

DOC Rule 801 has the inmate classification rules. They consider a bunch of things and assign risk factors. Anyone over 5 years is a medium custody yard at a minimum. He will go to Alahambre first, which is where they evaluate him and then decide what prison he will go to.

Most of us feel like they deliberately place them as far from family as they can. I don't know if that's true, but it feels like it, especially in the beginning. Douglas and Tucson are both the closest to me and my son was placed first at Stiner-Lewis and then moved to Kingman, which is the furthest from me they can get. When he qualified for a 2 yard (minimum custody), they moved him from the 3 yard to the 2 yard in Kingman. Only recently, with less than a year left, did they move him to Tucson.
The Following User Says Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
bonnie831 (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 05:20 PM

Thanks! I hope hes close! My son misses him so much!! I never even considered the fact that he might go further than, Louis, Florence, or Yuma. It literally never crossed my mind, he will be gone for 23 years. Id like him close by so that I can try to keep a good relationship between him and our son. Thank you so much for the information, I truly appreciate it!
Old 02-11-2019, 01:40 PM

If he has any previous history in the system that could play a factor. My man has a detainer in Yuma so pretty sure that's why he got sent there.

23 years.. That broke my heart. Pray the best for you and your son
Old 02-12-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie831 View Post
Hi everyone,
My husband is currently in county awaiting sentencing, Im wondering if the address he gives when he goes the el hombra Will be a determining factor in which prison hes placed in? We live in Arizona on the west side of Phoenix so does that mean hell go to the prison thats closest to our home address? Or does that have nothing to do with anything? Also is the amount of time hell be serving a determining factor, anything information helps! I just cant wait for him to get out of county so that our son and I can go visit him, we miss him a lot! Its been a rough 2 weeks for us and we still have a VERY longtime before well see him outside of the prison system. Thank you to anyone who is able to help with this!
In most instances they go to a 3 (medium) yard to start, but yes there are other mitigating factors. He'll be on a 3 yard until he had 5 years to go then he will go to a 2 (minimum) yard. But if he gets tickets then he can be reclassed and moved to a higher security yard (4or 5 yard). Everything is based on a points system. What I have described is a normal situation. Where they put him is where they have open beds at the moment. Alot of guys come from Alhambra to Red Rock which is in Eloy,but of course there's no guarantee where he will go. As soon as it's posted online which yard he went to start the visitation application process immediately. You have yo apply for you and each child. It's $25 background check fee for you . Free for minors. It usually takes 4-6 weeks for approval, but per policy they can take up to 60 days. You will probably get approved for phone first. The phone carrier is IC Solutions. They notify the inmate when you are approved, by mail when denied. If denied there is an appeals process. I personally advise printing out and mailing In the application, but many chose to do online.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharleysGirl For This Useful Post:
bonnie831 (03-13-2019)