Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey Parole, Probation, Halfway House, Community Service, etc.
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey Parole, Probation, Halfway House, Community Service, etc. All information & questions relating to parole, probation, halfway house, community service, electronic monitoring, etc. in New Jersey should be posted here.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:37 PM

Default About to max out and old VOP discovered.

So my boyfriend is set to Max release in 19 days... but hereís the kicker... as part of Max release they search to make sure nothing pending.

They found an old VOP case in Passaic County. He has a hearing for this in 14 days... no one notified us. I just found out by checking about his release..

Apparently while on drug court in 2014, he caught new charges. They also put him on probation and told him to report to his original drug court guy.. well he eventually got sent back for violating. Back and forth between parole, isp, all that..

Why now at the end is this VOP coming up? Is the judge going to sentence him to another 5 year sentence? Itís the same exact crime just different county .

Anyone have any experience??
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2019, 09:15 PM

Sorry I can't help but I do hope it gets cleared up. I'm in NJ too .
Old 03-23-2019, 09:01 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 34,817 Times in 16,053 Posts

Sounds like a mess to me.....if it's a different county, its a separate charge. He was given probation and violated, is that right? I'm not an attorney, but I would think he could be given "time served." Will he? Don't know. I suppose he could also be violated and sentenced. If you can, contact his attorney from that county (or the Public Defender's Office, if applicable)....try to get this resolved before his release date, if possible. Good Luck!!

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 03-23-2019, 10:25 AM
Southern Fried Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 3,777 Times in 1,303 Posts
Default About to max out and old VOP discovered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abjnj123 View Post
So my boyfriend is set to Max release in 19 days... but hereís the kicker... as part of Max release they search to make sure nothing pending.

They found an old VOP case in Passaic County. He has a hearing for this in 14 days... no one notified us. I just found out by checking about his release..

Apparently while on drug court in 2014, he caught new charges. They also put him on probation and told him to report to his original drug court guy.. well he eventually got sent back for violating. Back and forth between parole, isp, all that..

Why now at the end is this VOP coming up? Is the judge going to sentence him to another 5 year sentence? Itís the same exact crime just different county .

Anyone have any experience??

I believe itís normal for them to check for outstanding charges/warrants in other counties right before release. They have to notify the counties so they can be given the opportunity to come pick them up when theyíre released.

The day my husband was released, a whole slew of people came out first and went straight into police vehicles. He was super paranoid he had something outstanding no one told him about up until he was in l my car. He sent out requests for time served to any place he even had an outstanding ticket and we resolved it before he got out so he didnít get taken to another jail. The worst thing he had out there was bad check and I called the county and spoke to an officer. I told them he was currently serving 5 years and they just said ďOkay, weíll go ahead and dismiss itĒ and mailed him the paperwork. But thatís a bit different than a VOP, so I donít know if calling would help you.

Regardless, Iím sure itís heartbreaking to find out right before release. Hopefully they give him time served and itís over with.

Last edited by WeepingWillow; 03-23-2019 at 10:34 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to WeepingWillow For This Useful Post:
patchouli (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 12:57 PM

Thanks everyone... we understood it that since he was reporting to 1 county probation officer only as instructed all those years ago, that they would have done the necessary steps to have him have his hearing. He had a hearing, was sent to prison. No one notified him for years that this was even a thing.

Now we’re like what do we do?
Old 03-23-2019, 01:07 PM

Thanked 3,370 Times in 1,573 Posts

I would call a local Legal Aid in the area and ask them next steps to getting it resolved.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:10 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,923 Times in 12,662 Posts

Talk to a lawyer, legal aid or retain one yourself. My guess is that the old PV will stop his release, even if he is maxed out.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:15 PM

Yup exactly. The doc said it will stop his release that’s why they scheduled it for before his Max date.. everyone I’ve spoken with says it’s probably going to be just a formality that they have to take care of. But there is that small possibility the judge will say “nope. Once you finish this, then you start another bid”.
The Following User Says Thank You to Abjnj123 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-23-2019)