Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:58 PM

Default Can papers be brought in during visitation?

Had a very quick question on visiting inmates in federal prison

If a spouse on the outside had questions from their spouse who is in prison on paperwork for Household expenses or debt or just anything related to their life
Can these papers be brought in during visitation visits
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2019, 07:20 PM

Your best bet is to call the prison itself.

But we don't allow it where I work. Only person that can bring in papers is a lawyer
Old 03-24-2019, 07:21 PM
He's out!!

Where my guy's at the only thing I can bring in the visitation room is the key to my assigned locker and the card to the vending machine.

Nothing else
Old 03-24-2019, 08:45 PM

Thanked 3,571 Times in 1,667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remorseful900 View Post

If a spouse on the outside had questions from their spouse who is in prison on paperwork for Household expenses or debt or just anything related to their life
I doubt it. I made copies of everything that I didnt mind them seeing through mail. On the phone, we would go through it all. I'm guessing you handled the bills and budget.

To condense it, I used a spreadsheet. You can make one together now on the computer before you go. Then copy and paste for the next month. Takes a few hours to set up, but once it is done it runs itself.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remorseful900 View Post

Contact his counselor, maybe they can help. When my husband signed for our kids passports that's who I went threw with no problems.
fbopnomore (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 03:03 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,458 Times in 12,934 Posts

You can mail it to him, but you will need special permission to bring it to a visit.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:23 AM

In ft Dix NJ they told me nothing is allowed to come into visiting except small bills for vending machines and key to locker. They said no pictures, papers and such. They told me to mail those types of things. I called them directly because I had a similar question. I needed to show him some bills so I can explain how much I needed to deduct from his bank account to pay them. ( He used to just pay them all by himself but now I have to call them in or pay online because he isn't able to)
I would call the facility directly and see what they say. Maybe they will tell you to mail the documents instead.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidebiotch For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 09:13 AM

My son is in Danbury. The only thing you are allowed to take in with you is some money for the vending machines in a clear plastic zip lock type bag. No paper, pens, pencils, etc. If you have stuff that needs to go in a locker, the key stays at the front desk with your drivers license/ID. If you don't need a locker but have car keys, they stay in front with your ID.
You do need valid ID to get in to visiting room, which you leave at the desk before entering, and pick up when you leave.

Last edited by mysonsmother; 03-25-2019 at 09:19 AM..
Old 03-25-2019, 10:11 AM

Thanked 1,611 Times in 814 Posts

Technically no, but it really depends how lax the CO's are where you are at.

Where my husband was, I could bring in a small notepad and I would take notes of things he wanted me to research or people or things in general. I would also bring in a list of things to go over with him as well, or things that were just too hard to send in an email, like a chart or whatever.

At one point he was helping to review my daughter's college essays because it was faster than going back and forth on the corrlinks due to the delays and cheaper and faster because when he edited them, he would have to retype the entire essay in each time. No one really bothered us about it, but we needed to be discreet. But again, as I mentioned previously. we did a lot of research about the prisons and where to go and made sure he was at one of the best camps he could be at with the least amount of headaches for all involved.

Never searched me, and other than one short period of time, never strip searched the inmates after visiting or otherwise, or other issues.

He had to be there more days in a month than I was going to visit, so it didn't matter that he wasn't as close to me as the closest prison, as long as he was at the best one in the general vicinity that I could still get to, because he was the one that had to live there and deal with the daily grind and get through it.

The key is to make yourself as busy as possible, get a job (if you're at a prison that has jobs available), read, take classes, etc. and it can go by fast. If you're at a place that doesn't have those things, you can be miserable and worse than watching paint dry.

Also many prisons don't have weekly visiting due to overcrowding, so check on that too. Ours had visiting Sat-Mon no matter what your number was. Some only have it every other week based on your inmate number and only 2 days/week and took away some federal holidays like 4th of July.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:55 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,458 Times in 12,934 Posts

Strip searching federal prisoners both before and after visits depends on the security level of the prison, even FCI low security inmates are SS.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:15 PM

Hen I visited my son at FMC Springfield, they would only let me bring in a clear bag, ID, cash and change for vending machines, I had a small scrap of paper with my cousins phone number on it so she could pick me up at the visit, and the CO wouldn’t allow that, he did hold on to it for me and returned it after the visit.

OWL