Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 04-28-2019, 08:55 PM

Default Appeal process while in SHU

So, my guy is currently in SHU and has been for about 6 months now. He was given 2 months in shu and the reason his is still there is because he submitted for an appeal.

Of course he is not given any information. So can you kindly advise how long this appeal can take? He did receive a letter back in February I think during the government shut down requesting an extension. He hasn't heard anything from then. Counselor says all he can do is wait but doesn't give a ETA.

He is still in shu and they will be moving him to a SMU, soon. All this is not making sense. New to federal prison please help shed light. Thank you in advance for your response!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2019, 05:44 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,506 Times in 12,962 Posts

There are deadlines for everything in the inmate grievance system, but they often only apply to the prisoners. The bop can delay acting on appeals, and sometimes does. My guess is that he will remain in the SHU until he is transferred to the SMU prison.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:34 AM

Good morning. I had to do a little Google search to see what a SMU is. Anyway, it sounds like to me that he is not in SHU because of an appeal. They would not place him in there just for that. It sounds like his classification level changed and he can no longer be in the general population where he is at. It sounds like he is waiting for transfer. Untill then, he remains in SHU. How long does that take? I have no idea, I don't work for the BOP. After 6 months in SHU and with the case closed I am sure they are ready to get rid of him. (Transfer)
Old 04-29-2019, 10:10 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,506 Times in 12,962 Posts

SMU is the Special Management Unit which is the punishment imposed by the bop for prisoners are too much of a problem for the Special Housing Unit, SHU. Here's how restricted life is in the SMU.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/instit...aohandbook.pdf