Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado Prison and Jail Specific Discussions Please use this forum to talk about Department of Correction prison units, private institutiions, city jails, county jails, etc.

Old 05-25-2005, 01:00 PM
kerbalee

Default Looking for information on Sterling Correctional Facility

Hello out there,

I'm new to this web site and I'm very thankful that I found it. It's very supportive and I've shared it with some of my family members.

My brother is currently serving a 3 year sentence at SCF. Does anyone have a loved one there? Are they still on lockdown? What's going on?

I haven't brought myself to visit yet but I'm going to stop being selfish and plan a trip. I'm just wondering what to expect. What are the rules?

Confused???
Thank you,
Kim
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2005, 09:41 AM
Movin forward
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,380 Posts

Was the whole facility on lockdown or just the side your brother is in?? My friend is on the minimum side and I spoke with him Sunday at which time he said nothing about being locked down... I'll be speaking with him again this weekend if you would like me to ask him if a certain area is still on lockdown.. Just let me know... Feel free to PM me anytime.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:11 PM
kerbalee

I'm not sure if it was the whole facility or just a certain area. Unfortunatley, I haven't spoke to him in awhile. I feel relieved that your friend didn't hear about this. Maybe my brother isn't on lockdown? I've sent him a bunch of letters and I'm still waiting for a reply. I cannot wait!! Where are you located? I see that you're in Colorado also?
Old 05-27-2005, 07:17 AM
Movin forward
Donation Award 

I'm in PA (of course of my heart is in Colorado, if that counts)... my friend is in Sterling. I'll ask him Sunday when he calls if he knows whether any of the facility is on lockdown and I'll let you know.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:40 AM
kerbalee

Thank you. I would appreciate it so much. That will relieve some worrying if he has good news. How long has your friend been in Sterling? Does he have much longer to go? Thank you again for the information.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:30 PM
Movin forward
Donation Award 

I spoke with my friend tonight... He said he thinks there is one building on the West side currently on lockdown.

My friend has done 6 years at Sterling... Has 7 years to go but we are up for parole in November of this year...
Old 05-30-2005, 09:42 AM
kerbalee

Kewl. I appreciate you asking him. I'll wait to hear from my brother to see if he is on the west side of the bldg. This will also be my first letter from him so I hope to find out an actual date as to when he'll be released. Thank you again.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:22 PM
Movin forward
Donation Award 

If you're looking for the release date you could call CDOC Inmate Locator Services for the parole eligibility date and mandatory release date... The number is 719/226-4880... I wish you all the best
Old 05-31-2005, 08:44 AM
kerbalee

You have been so helpful. Thank you so much for the number. I will keep you updated.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:29 AM
kerbalee

Okay, I wrote my brother 3 letters and every single one was returned There is a big stamp on the front of the letter that says "RETURN TO SENDER". It doesn't say why. It doesn't say that the DOC number is wrong, doesn't say refused, doesn't say anything. So, I called the number that you gave me and they referred me to SCF directly. I called them, and they referred me to the Case Manager. He referred me to the mail room. The mail room asked if I put stickers on the front of the envelope???? NO!!! The DOC number is right. The address was right. They can't tell me why my letters were returned. Her suggestion....resend them!! Ugggh, I'm so upset at this whole system. I know my brother is disappointed because I haven't written and he's more upset that I haven't visited. Now, I have to resend them and hope and pray that he gets them. During all of this, I forgot to get his release date!! So I will give them a break from me and call back tomorrow Thanks for letting me vent!
Old 06-02-2005, 12:10 PM
kerbalee

MRD is June 22nd 2007
Old 06-03-2005, 06:22 AM
Movin forward
Donation Award 

I'm sorry your having problems with the mail room at Sterling... I have been pretty fortunate in the 4-1/2 years I've been dealing with them I've only had a hand full of letters returned... Still can't tell you why?!? (My guess is someone in the mail room was having a bad day). One even came back stamped no longer at this facility (wishful thinking!!)

June 22nd 2007 will be here before you know it... I know it seems like an eternity but we've done 4-1/2 years so far and I can't believe how fast the time has flown by for me... Of course all the wonderful people here at PTO helps!! If this helps I'll be here with you through 2007 and beyond (our MRD is March 2, 2012 )...

Keep your chin up and vent away anytime you need to... (((((((((HUGS)))))))))
Old 06-03-2005, 02:29 PM
kerbalee

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. Having PTO will definitely get me through the 2 years. I've resent the letters so we'll see what happens. My mom is visiting my brother tomorrow so she's going to update him and let him know I tried writing. I myself have 3 young daughters so I can't go this weekend but I'm planning a trip for next weekend. We'll see how that goes.

I'm sorry that you still have until 2012 I will be here to support you just like you have been there for me I've learned in PTO that EVERYONE does the time together. It's a nice community and I'm fortunate to have found it. I feel selfish for always venting about my issues and want to let you know that I am also here for you, anytime, anyday

Old 06-06-2005, 08:53 AM
Movin forward
Donation Award 

Kerbalee.. There is no need to feel selfish as we are all here to help each other through issues... I hope your mom and brother had a wonderful visit, I'm sure that will help his morale!! Keep me posted on the mail situation as well as your visit. I bet you are so excited I wish you the best!!
Old 06-08-2005, 08:12 AM

kerbalee, welcome to PTO! I'm glad you found us!!! My sweetheart is also at Sterling, (less than a year to go) If you have any questions please feel free to ask.....
In the meantime, hang in there! I hope your mail gets through. I haven't had a single letter returned to me from there. Actually yes, one. It said that it was returned because of stamps!? I use rubber stamps all the time, never a problem. I think it was becauseI forwarded a letter to him from a friend in New Zealand.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:59 AM
kerbalee

Thank you for the welcome. I'm also very glad to have found PTO. I've learned so much. Still haven't visited because now I have some issues with the DMV that I need to clear up . He did call my mom and let her know he received my letters also. I'm still not sure what happened. Maybe someone was having a bad day in the mail room. My brother is actually doing quite well for himself though. See, he has drug issues. If he didn't go to prison when he did, I'm scared to say that he may not even be alive right now. It was very bad. When he first went in, about a year ago, he weighed 180. Which isn't a lot since he's 6'2. He now weighs 205 and it's all muscle. He has his training buddies and has been working out often. He's working in the bakery too and seems to be in good spirits. He told my mom to tell me not to worry about the fights or bad things that you hear about prison. He's fine and just doing the time. I'm so relieved. Well, thanks again for letting me vent. I can't ever write one or two sentences, it's always a long story, hehehe.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:02 PM
kerbalee

Mail Dance!!! I received a letter from my brother. Just thought I'd share. I'm sooooooo happy today

Old 06-10-2005, 01:43 PM

Horray!! You got mail! I'm glad to hear your brother is doing well.

Old 06-10-2005, 02:08 PM
Movin forward
Donation Award 

Yay!!!! I'm so glad you got mail and now can relax a bit knowing your brother is ok
Old 06-10-2005, 02:40 PM
kerbalee

Talking

Thank you both. Yes, I'm very over protective of my brother and tend to worry waaaaaaaaaay too much, but I bet you guys couldn't tell.

Old 06-15-2005, 03:10 AM

trust me, we all worry just as much when we don't hear from our loved ones.

Old 06-15-2005, 06:32 AM
Movin forward
Donation Award 

Truer words were never spoken babycow Hang in there and we will get through anything together!! :grouphugs:
Old 11-23-2005, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbalee
Hello out there,

I'm new to this web site and I'm very thankful that I found it. It's very supportive and I've shared it with some of my family members.

My brother is currently serving a 3 year sentence at SCF. Does anyone have a loved one there? Are they still on lockdown? What's going on?

I haven't brought myself to visit yet but I'm going to stop being selfish and plan a trip. I'm just wondering what to expect. What are the rules?

Confused???
Thank you,
Kim

Hi Kim,
This is my first time writing. Hope it comes through. Not too sure what I'm doing yet. I have a freind in Sterling.
I wonder if they know of eachother?
I've never been to visit but hoping to go maybe mid dec. or Jan. I'm lucky though because my guy is up for porole soon.
Take Care,
Mary
Old 11-23-2005, 12:03 AM

I don't know what replying to thread is!!??
Don't want to sound stupid just looking for guidance. I've never been in a chat room. Is this Kim I'm writing to?
Mary
Old 11-23-2005, 12:04 AM

Please help me learn the ropes here I havn't a clue.
Just Learning,
Mary