Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ohio Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Ohio Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 07:02 AM
Queen of Dylan's Heart

(((shannon))) i'd doubt they'd be this picky, but if you call the case manager to give him/her new address, i'd get a new id too, just in case

and like((sabrena)) said, i put my 1st initial once and then my last name, and i too got my box sent back (this was at richland correctional).........so put full name as it is on your visiting form
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2005, 09:44 AM
Miss Independent

Oh, that's true Sam... my ID won't have the new address. I wonder what I should do!! I'm not going to go get a new DL. I just did that last year when my name changed.

Guys, lets pray that box gets in and they're not mean about it! If the box ends up going back to my ex's house, that will be humongously embarrassing...

'til he's free
2011 Club Member #4
Old 07-09-2005, 03:00 PM

Post How to mail chocolate successfully in warm weather

First chocolate has two characteristics to improve mailability

1) There are "winter" and "summer" forms of chocolate. Definitely buy the summer form (slightly higher parafin content or pectin or whatever they're using in it raises the temp to melt. If you're going to splurge on something, splurge on the chocolate and try to buy it from a place that actually knows something about candy.

2) You need it to be emulsified to do this (see label for word "emulsifier" in ingredients list)

Also to send it successfully

A) Freeze it. And I mean SOLID

B) Buy some inexpensive "polar" style lunch bag with velcro at the dollar store buy the cheapest effective thing for the money cause I'm not sure if they will allow it in or not.

C) Just before sending it, add that to the box and then ship it. Unless they're letting boxes sit and sit and sit, it should make it there in very good condition and good quality chocolate that is emulsified might discolor very slightly but is still perfectly edible.

This works. I haven't sent chocolate to a prison (yet) but I have sent it to camp in summer. Camp can be just as slow to respond and ineffective as a prison too cause the counselors are usually just older kids. The real adults do not bother with trivia like handing out kid's packages.

Also if you are looking for something more exotic than plain chocolate, Hickory Farms used to have chocolate especially suited to mailing. You could check with them.

If the person is depressed and craves chocolate I'd go to the extra trouble and expense if at all possible cause a lot of studies show it legitimately does help with depression.

Hugs,

Last edited by JennyMCa; 07-09-2005 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: claification
Old 07-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Queen of Dylan's Heart

((shannon))), keeping you in my prayers that you box goes thru, keep us posted!!
Old 07-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Banned

Me, too Shannon...

I went to UPS and bought a box. I'll write everything down so that if I have to do this again, it won't be so tedious. I'm hoping Bob and Randy will be out soon...pray-pray-pray.

The UPS owner was super nice. He says he does this all the time and will help me when I go in to ship it.

Cool.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

((( Shannon ))) I experienced this first hand...I put my initial only because my name is so long And the mailroom returned it right back to me! I hope yours get thru though Sabrena

"...for this too shall pass..."
Old 07-10-2005, 07:25 PM

RE: Value of items in the box. When I mentioned the total value may not go over $60, I was referring to the food box only - NOT the sundry box. I have the Inmates Handbook for PCI and it clearly states that items in the food boxes may not exceed $60!! Maybe other prisons have other rules.

There is a limit for sundry items as well and I believe it's written on their forms....so if you should pay a few dollars more than what they allow, make darn sure you don't leave price tags on the items or they can say such items are contraband! They can then either return such items to you (at inmate's expense) or dispose of them. I have no idea what "dispose of them" means.... maybe it means staff members may take what they want??

Re: Weight. If you have a bathroom scale stand on it and weigh yourself. Then fill a box with the food items you want to send and stand on the scale to see how much more you weigh. When you get close to the 30 pounds, STOP. Your bathroom scale may be slightly different so you might have to take one item out if UPS scale goes 30 pounds or more.

One person mentioned shipping from post office and insuring the package. UPS insures it for you at no extra charge! They guarantee 2 day delivery for me from MO to OH and cost was less than $12 for shipping and insurance. And I didn't have to stand in a line to be waited on at Mail Boxes/UPS Store.

THANKS to the person who suggested freezing the chocolate candy bars and then wrapping them in something insulated. I do that with cheese as well and it's still cold when it gets to Doc.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

(((Doc's Sis))) thanks for clarifying and all the suggestions Sabrena

Old 07-13-2005, 01:14 AM

I thought I was the only one that had the problem with the intial and the last name on the outside of the box...lol

I had sent several boxes with my first intial and last name on them. NO ONE ever said a word. Then, I sent him a food box the same way. I get this call from him at 8 in the morning on a day when I am leaving on a trip. I was so mad I couldn't see straight. I asked several people to find out why all of the sudden they were enforcing the rule. Their response was to call him into a room and yell at him for 2 hours. Then send the box back. It had cheese in it. I called the mailbox joint and had them recharge my card after re-writing my full name on it. I have NEVER made that mistake again.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:14 PM
Miss Independent

It's the dumbest rule ever. I mean really, what purpose does it serve?

I haven't heard from my post office yet, but hopefully they'll let me know it's there by tomorrow... there are summer clothes in the box. LOL! I've had it for sooooo long. It will be winter before he gets it!

'til he's free
2011 Club Member #4
Old 08-09-2005, 09:16 AM
Banned

All righty ladies...I need good thoughts and prayers going out...I just sent my friend, Bob, a food box today!

I did everything that all of you said to you - even put my ENTIRE NAME on the box (Shannon - LOL). The guy at the UPS store was great. He said he does this all the time. The box weighed...you ready...drum roll, please...28-1/2 pounds. Pretty good, huh?

I just want him to get it - INTACT. He hasn't had one sent to him in years and I want him to be able to enjoy a little bit of "life". Ya know?

Thanks! I'll let you know what happens...
Old 08-10-2005, 07:10 PM
Banned

Bob said that he received his food box today. What good service! Huh? The only thing that he couldn't have were the small candy bars I sent. I took them out of the 10 pack package they were in and put them in a baggie. I should have left them in the original package. Otherwise, everything went good!

Old 09-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Queen of Dylan's Heart

ok my turn.........i was just gonna send dylan extra $ for his b-day coming up, but decided to be the nice gal i am and also surprise him w/a food box as well.......as i told ya all earlier.......i only did it once at richland and hate it........now here's my ?'s

1) the candy bars, like the 10 pack.......i should just leave those in the package, and count it as 1 package, since they say they can have a max. of 2 packages?

2)the cookies i had problem w/last time.........they have to be in see thru package......last time i put them in ziploc but they got crushed.....can they stay in regular package if you can see some of them thru it?

3) do you all think its ok to send cheese now?.......i'll be sending it in a 1 1/2 wk..

4) has anyone ever sent pasta?...........its says spaghetti, raviola........what they just warm it in the microwave like they're ramen noodles?

5) what kind of microwaveable meals have you sent?

6) please tell me i'm not a pain in the a** w/all these ?'s, i'm asking early so i only have to shop one time and thats it!!
Old 09-12-2005, 08:29 PM

Heres an idea. In the cake mix section of the grocery they have these microwable deserts. They are made by betty croker and are called warm delights. All you do is add water and nuke them. They taste great. The choclate lava one is the best. Also in the boxed section they have different kind of ready made meals. They are like frozen but there not. I believe dinty moore beek stew, and i think pot roast. i can't be sure but look in the section with the hamburger helper stuff.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:07 AM

Sam,

I'm going to take a stab at your questions....

1. The Candy Bars -Buy the value packs and leave them in the original pakages.. With everything you buy, don't manipulate it in anyway.

2. Cookies - Leave those in the see through package too, Like Oreos, or the generic big trays of cookies. I have also sent cookies and pastry form the bakery as long as it is in one of the clear togo containers with the sticker over the opening.

3. Cheese - Yes you can send it now. Just make sure that you send the package during the week so that it doesn't sit over a weekend in the store or in the mailroom. Alos, Freeze the cheese solid. BLock cheese works best and when you put it in the box, set it next to the candy bars that way the candy doesn't melt.

4. Pasta - I send pasta all the time. I also send him the specialty sauces and peppers from the Gourmet store. They cook it kinda of like the ramen only they boil the water and then drain. Most pasta has the directions for microwave cooking.

5. Dinty Moore makes a few that are already portioned out and are microwavable (marc's has them) There is a roast beef and mashed potatoe, and a tuckey and mashed potatoe.
My boyfriend east a lot of tuna. They just came out with tuna steaks and packages tuna that is in several flavors such as terkiaki, sweet and sour, hickory smoked, thai, lemon pepper, garlic and basil. They usually run about $2.00 per package. Also, there is roast beef in cans, corned beef, and chicken. All of which I send him. With his boxes I send him everything he cannot get in commisary.
Oh granola bars is a big thing and various sauces and spices. They last forever and give hime some variation.

6. You're never a pain.... lol.. glad to help you out! Oh kool aid or crystal light is a great thing to send too. And he always has me send him stuff to make pizzas.

Old 09-13-2005, 05:53 AM
Banned

Sam - to add to "alb's" comments...

I froze EVERYTHING like the cheese, salami, pepperoni, etc. Then the guy at the UPS store wrapped all of it in the brown paper. Bob said it was fine when it arrived the next day.

I sent him canned ravioli and spaghetti'os. Make sure with the tuna you buy the "packets" NOT the cans. The cans weigh more. Plus, with the tuna/salmon packets, they don't have to drain them. Less messy.

I bought a bunch of popcorn and took them out of the original boxes, into a big ziplock baggie (because they are still wrapped in the cellophane, and marked on the ziplock how many and how many ounces.

SERIOUSLY, GO TO THE UPS STORE! These people are so, so helpful and IT WILL GET THERE THE NEXT DAY. I sent it on a Monday, the prison got it Tuesday AM and he had it before noon after it was inspected.

You go girl!
Old 09-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

thanks for the tip on salmon packets I had sent the canned salmon

Old 09-13-2005, 02:08 PM

OK let me see what I can do to help.
As for the candy bars I always send the regular size ones. Just becasue that is what he likes.
For the cheese I buy the small (I think they are 8oz size) of the velveta then when he opens it he can eat most of it and it does not sit there open. It does not have to be in the fridge so that is what I try to get.
the pasta I send that all the time too. I mostly send the like egg noodles they are pretty cheap and pretty light so you can get more.
As for microwave meals I just sent a food box a few weeks ago and I sent the beef stew microwave meal (the Dinty Moore kind) and the CO would not let him have it because he could not see through it. It was not open but they would not let him have it I think the CO was just hungry It just depends on the CO.
As for meat. I have found at super walmart(only place I have seen them) they have with the tuna and stuff like that they have these precooked hamburger packs it is like the tuna packs but it is hamburger all they have to do is heat it up. My husband said that it was pretty good.

Hope that this helps.
Melanie
Old 09-14-2005, 07:55 AM
Queen of Dylan's Heart

thank you everyone so much.......i appreciate it............i was gonna shop tonight, but then i figured i better wait and do it all maybe sunday or monday so i can send it out monday or tuesday and it won't sit there over the weekend.........i got lots more ideas than i started w/.........thank you!
Old 09-18-2005, 07:20 PM

this is gonna sound stupid. you can really send boxes of stuff to inmates? cuz my fiance is about to be in richland and i need to kno what kind of things i can send. can anyone give me a list? i would greatly appreciate it. becuz i would like to suprise him as soon as he gets there before he has a chance to let anyone kno anything. thanks!

Last edited by bobbysgirl81; 09-18-2005 at 07:46 PM..
Old 09-18-2005, 08:20 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

(((bobbysgirl81))) Welcome to PTO the list is standard located on DRC, which currently seem to down DRC must be making updates. Yes, if you are an approved visitor on the inmates list, then yes you can send him a food box...But you need to ask whether he's already received his maximum for the year...You can't surprise him so to speak becaus the Institutes have NO problem sending it right back to you.

Old 09-18-2005, 08:22 PM
Retired

bobbysgirl -

First of all, welcome to PTO! You will find a lot of support and info here. Check out the other Ohio threads when you get a chance too.

As far as the boxes go, you can view the list on the Ohio DRC website. I've been trying to send the link to you, but for some reason the site is running very slowly tonight and it won't work. On their home page, scroll down to Department Forms. In order to send a box, you have to be an approved visitor on his list and you have to have at least one visit in already. Maybe someone else will come along with the link you need. I tried, but their site is being a pain for me tonight!
Old 09-18-2005, 08:25 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

(((Fate))) good looking out Sabrena

Old 09-18-2005, 08:27 PM
Retired

Thanks MsChiku...
We were both trying to be helpful at the same time, but that site isn't letting us!
Old 09-18-2005, 10:41 PM

well he isn't in richland yet, he's in lorain going through the intake process. i'll have him put me on his list as soon as he gets there. thanks for fillin me in tho, i appreciate it!

Closed Thread