Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ohio Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Ohio Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 09:02 AM
Queen of Dylan's Heart

i've always sent new things....but i'm not sure..........

i've gotten alot from wal mart, but have never been able to get it all from there, unfortunately, lol........but thats just me!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2006, 08:00 PM
Sara

My hubby is at the Lebanon Honor Camp and he can receive food and clothes boxes but inmated are not aloud to receive them at the regualr prison. .........sara

Old 01-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

Yes, most things can be purchased at Walmart or ANY discount store...BUT you can not send things from home. Things should be newly purchased. And hold on to your receipts.

P.S. Letters should be mailed seperated and not included in the food or clothes box...Just remember, if it's not on the packing list then you shouldn't enclose it in the box...It could be considered as contraband and either sent back at the inmates expense or destroyed.

"...for this too shall pass..."

Last edited by MsChiku; 01-05-2006 at 06:04 PM..
Old 01-06-2006, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmjmm
I'm going to start on Jay's clothes box this weekend. For those of you that have done this, can you get most everything at Walmart? What about the clear raincoats? Thanks.

Michelle
He can order the rain coat and clothing directly from prison catalogs - at reasonable cost. Why not just send him enough money to pay for them?

Each WalMart store has slightly different inventory. Do a web search for "clear rain coat" and see what you can find. All clothing items are to be new items and not some of the clothing at home that we wore before going to prison.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warm_fuzzies
My man wanted some boots and I sedn half of the money and he came up with the rest... he had to order them himself!!!!! Again thanks to all that helped me my man got his Food box 2 days after I mail it...... he got that before the letters that I enclosed in the box... he still hasn't got that yet!!!
You put letters in his box?? You can't do that. That is contraband. Even the post office would not approve your paying to send the food box if a personal letter is in the box. Post Office people here often ask me if there is a letter inside the box - because if there is, they'll charge more.

The next time you send a box, put only the approved items from the list in it and send all letters in envelopes as you normally do. FYI: They should have given him a notice telling him that they removed letters from the package. Of course, that doesn't mean they did give him the notice....
Old 01-18-2006, 06:51 AM

Default Ok..this is helping me

Im learning alot just by reading this stuff.. But I dont understand size of boxes and what not..Is there a certain size for certain prisons or what? and whats this about an invoice or whatever..
Old 01-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

the 1st page of this thread talks about getting the box from either the UPS Store or the US Post office... I got my box free from the grocery store at Giant Eagle's. I asked for the "egg box" that usually is in the Dairy Dept. It's a little smaller than the max required BUT it free and has lots of room and fits 30lbs easily. The invoice should come from the inmate. Because he would know if he's eligible to receive a box or not. I'm referring to the Food Box. Hope this helps. Sabrena

Old 01-18-2006, 06:13 PM

Ok, I have a big problem, not sure if anyone can help or not. I went to the UPS store on Jan. 6th to mail Jay's clothes box to him. Well, I didn't have the street address, just the p.o. box. I didn't know that they wouldn't deliver to a p.o. box and I didn't have time to come back with the street address, so they said it would have to go regular postal mail...no tracking. I know...big mistake. It will be two weeks Friday and he still hasn't got his box. Does anybody know if there's anything I can do to see what happpened to it? I can't even think about it being lost, I mean that's a whole lot of money I'll be out and I can't replace it. I am just so mad at the postal service. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Michelle
Old 01-19-2006, 07:33 PM

You still could have gotten a tracking label for an extra charge, but it's too late now. If it's only two weeks, wait another week or so. Of course, if you live in OH and he is in OH, the package should be at the prison by now - but could be in a corner of the Mail Room or in a corner of the office of the Case Manager...

When Doc went to pick up his package last week, it had been held by the prison for 5 days after receiving it and I did have a tracking label. Doc said the room where they inspect packages he saw lots and lots of them but the CO just takes his time giving them out.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinattyme
Im learning alot just by reading this stuff.. But I dont understand size of boxes and what not..Is there a certain size for certain prisons or what? and whats this about an invoice or whatever..
Don't worry too much about box size. 30 pounds of food isn't all that much especially if some of it is canned - so you aren't going to go over the size limit. I usually have boxes around here and just find one that will work. If you do not have any boxes at home, maybe you can get one at the grocery store. Just make sure it's sturdy because canned items are heavy. Or, you can spend the money and buy a box at UPS Store or any package mailing store.

The inmate MUST send you a 3 part form to complete and return with the package. The forms are on the internet also but the COs get upset if you try to use them. They want only the 3 part form used. Ask your guy to send you a couple of forms if he is eligible to receive food packages.

After you complete and sign the form, fold it and put it into a #10 envelope. On the envelope write "Packing List Enclosed" and then tape that envelope to the top of the box. I always put a copy of it inside the box as well. Instructions will be on the back of the 3 part form.

Last edited by Doc's Sis; 01-19-2006 at 07:37 PM..
Old 01-23-2006, 09:07 PM
over with

Ok ladies I am trying to put boxes together for Dave my question is all I have is the P.O. Box address so where do I get the address to have UPS deliver it. Hes at Marion Correctional Camp. Thanks
Old 01-24-2006, 09:08 AM

Because they don't give a street address you'll have to send it to the PO Box - so do not try to send it via UPS. Call your local package mailing places to find out cost to send a 30 lb box to that P. O. Box. Also call your local post office to ask the cost - and then send it the cheapest way.

You might also call Marion and ask their mail room for their street address and ask if they accept UPS deliveries.....
Old 01-25-2006, 07:24 AM
over with

I asked him last night where I should send it he said ups would deliver it because its right next door to the camp so who knows I will find out Saturday when I go visit him.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:52 PM
this too shall pass

yes it seems like ALL the information to everything is already here... Its just a matter of searching and reading and having it sink in. Thanks again for everyones input and patience and i begin to understand this
Old 01-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforever
Ok ladies I am trying to put boxes together for Dave my question is all I have is the P.O. Box address so where do I get the address to have UPS deliver it. Hes at Marion Correctional Camp. Thanks
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76080

the physical address is listed on the above thread. Always use the physical and the P.O Box for tracking purposes. Hope that helps

P.S. I missed the "camp" part...I would call the Camp and request the physical address from them.

Last edited by MsChiku; 01-26-2006 at 08:45 PM..
Old 01-27-2006, 04:34 PM
this too shall pass

Default Food boxes.

Ok I did go through the 8 pages or so of information so I apologize if this has been answered and I missed it.

Im wondering what, aside from the person's individual choice, what is the most desired food to get while in there and the hardest to get?

The chocolate and cheese and yes those strawberry shortcake cups are sound like great ideas. (maybe even the gummy worms lol) Im just wondering what I can put in my food box thats not available there?

Thanks
Old 01-28-2006, 04:46 PM
this too shall pass

US Post Office Vs. UPS.
Ive been shipping nearly 6,000 packages over the past 15 years and this is what I know about these too carriers:
UPS can NOT ship to a PO Box.
Post Office NEVER NEVER tracks anything. They have delivery confirmation BUT NOT tracking. Once you drop your package off at the counter ... its gone in the system with no tracking. It either shows up and delievery is confirmed (if you paid extra for this service) or its lost. There is no tracking from the US Postal service.And unless you paid EXTRA for insurance...you get nothing if the package is lost or damaged. EVEN if you do pay for Insurance? It is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to ever get your insurance claim PAID by the Post Office (Im waiting 14 years for one of my insurance claims)

UPS DOES track your package. Every stop it makes along the way your package is tracked up to the day it is out for delievery and they tell you when that day is. Plus your package is automatciacally insured for $100 unless you pay for more.

There usually is no line at UPS and its a much better deal entirely! But again they can NOT ship to a PO Box.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:54 PM
over with

I now have the physical address of the camp it was on my power of attorney papers so thats one last thing I have to worry about. Now to just get the boxes done hopefully by the weekend I will have them done because thats his Valentines Day present from me.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Banned

[quote=lost_boys]Im wondering what, aside from the person's individual choice, what is the most desired food to get while in there and the hardest to get?

The chocolate and cheese and yes those strawberry shortcake cups are sound like great ideas. (maybe even the gummy worms lol) Im just wondering what I can put in my food box thats not available there?/quote]

I would definitely say it has to be:

"meats and cheeses" - Like summer sausage, salami, canned all white breast chicken, etc. Also, canned salmon, crab, and flavored tuna. Pepperjack cheese, mozzerella, colby jack.

bread - a really good loaf of cracked wheat, rye or pita bread.

goodies - flavored popcorn, full size candy bars, oreos (those were gone in the first day I sent them ).

sauces/condiments - horseradish sauce, stadium mustard, etc.

I guess it all depends on what your loved one desires and likes.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:43 PM

lost_boys, I hate to argue but USPS indeed does track packages! I've done it. You just have to ask and, of course, pay extra for the service and then you can track it on the internet just as you track UPS packages.

I do agree with you that you'll get more for your money using UPS. They insure up to $100 free (and we can value our packages at only $60). Also the free tracking and much faster delivery.

Re foods to send: cans weigh more. Besides, Pickaway for one, doesn't want the guys to have can openers any more!! Look in the meat section (tuna, salmon, etc) for the heavy plastic/aluminum pouches containing chicken breast, turkey, ham and various sea foods. If he loves sea food, then send a bottle sea food sauce along. I also sent a microwavable pouch of rice (with spices added) to eat with his seafood.

Always welcome is cheese and chocolates. If you can afford it buy some Lindt truffles (is really a candy bar) sold at Wal Mart, Walgreens and other places. Pricey, but it is the very best grade of chocolate and melts in your mouth. It becomes addictive and he can get favors from others by offering them a Lindt bar. 8-) You can also order Lindt bars online with various flavors inside (orange, raspberry, others) - for a price. Do an internet search for Lindt.

Most commissary places do sell bread and I believe that bread is no longer supposed to be sent because someone tried to sneak drugs in a loaf of bread. Read that some place on this forum.

Micro popcorn is sold at commissary. However, specialty types might be appreciated. I also sent a can of sliced tomatoes and a couple small cans of sliced mushrooms (for making some kind sandwich OR can be mixed with pasta) and these items were accepted. I just lined out the word BEANS and wrote in Tomato and Mushrooms.
Yes, OROES. Get the Double Stuff.
Also, salsa can be bought in cans and plastic containers and they can buy the chips at commissary. Also bean and cheese dips will be enjoyed by most of the men. They love to have snack foods.

Samantha posted a Commissary List on this site. Print it out and read what is offered at most Ohio prisons - and then send something different.

Last edited by Doc's Sis; 02-04-2006 at 04:49 PM..
Old 02-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Retired

I just have to share that after all these years, I finally sent my first food box lol! I was soooo nervous that I'd done something wrong. I think I read this entire thread a few times to make sure I didn't miss anything. I didn't realize how simple it actually is. I sent it on Tuesday, it arrived at the prison on Wednesday, and he got it on Thursday (today). Thanks to everyone who's posted in here with helpful tips!
Old 02-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

that's soooo cool Steph, thanks for sharing your experience... BTW did you use the UPS Store?

Old 02-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Retired

No, I used USPS because we're in the same town. The prison's P.O. box is right there in the same post office I use, so I knew the box would be picked up the very next morning.

For the record, the camp he's in does not go by the $60 or less value of items and the box can weigh up to 35 lb instead of 30 lb. I was racking my brain trying to get the numbers adjusted because I had read that in this thread. Luckily he called me while I was packing the box and told me there is no value limit on food boxes there.

I noticed there were some contradictions in this thread regarding the weights and values. IMO, it would be best for anyone who's new to this to call the mail/package room at the prison you're sending the box to and ask someone who knows the answers for that specific place.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:07 AM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate4Us
No, I used USPS because we're in the same town. The prison's P.O. box is right there in the same post office I use, so I knew the box would be picked up the very next morning.

For the record, the camp he's in does not go by the $60 or less value of items and the box can weigh up to 35 lb instead of 30 lb. I was racking my brain trying to get the numbers adjusted because I had read that in this thread. Luckily he called me while I was packing the box and told me there is no value limit on food boxes there.

I noticed there were some contradictions in this thread regarding the weights and values. IMO, it would be best for anyone who's new to this to call the mail/package room at the prison you're sending the box to and ask someone who knows the answers for that specific place.
Excellent advise Steph Sabrena

Old 02-23-2006, 10:59 AM
over with

Well ladies I shipped my first boxes today . The guy at Pak Mail the only shipping place we have in my small town was really great hes a pro at this . My food box was like 12lbs over opps. He just laughed but we got it to exactly 30lbs next time I will have more of an idea what to put in it.
I am just glad they are shipped and on the way to him only cost me 24 bucks for both boxes I didnt think that was bad at all. I am just glad I got over that first box anxiety. This thread has helped me so much so thanks everyone.

Diana
Closed Thread