Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release & community service in the State of Texas should be posted here. Also found here is information in creating Parole Packets, discussion of Parole Attorneys, etc.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:41 PM

My husband is serving a 12 year sentence and is eligible for parole in November of this year. He was in prison before back in the 90s and then violated parole after 2 years because of a drug addiction. He finished out his term and was released on mandatory parole and finished it out. He also served 2 2year state jail terms because of same drug problem. We finally got a judge to give him SAFPF which he completed with flying colors and then went back to doing drugs. The judge sent him to Cenikor for probation revocation. While in the program, he finally got straight but the crooked cops in this county trumped up some charges and he left to deal with them. Then took a plea for the 12 years. I cannot afford a parole attorney and want to put together a parole packet for him and need all th help I can get because I have no idea where to start. He is Gang affiliated so he is in AdSeg and does not qualify for programs. He wants to do the gang dis-association program but cannot get in yet because of the 4 year waiting period. What all do I need to do? We are assuming he will go before the board in August. Help!!! I need to know where to start and what all I need to do.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2009, 07:53 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 4,179 Times in 2,585 Posts

Cheryl, there are some examples of parole letters in this forum. Be sure and check them out and if he is coming up in August you need to get some letters to the board that will be voting on him ASAP.

Help Desk

Super Moderator: Texas, Capital Punishment, Hurricanes, Visitation, Prison Evacuations, Parents With Children In Prison
Old 06-28-2009, 07:16 PM
julylady58

Default What if he ran?

My husband did 3 years of his 15 years for 'theft of check.' He got out and did his parole. Then he moved in with a crazy woman and her son called the police on him one night when he though my hubby had hit his mama and they put him back in jail and then parole and he quit going to his parole office (some kind of miscommunication) and he went to California and met and married me. Then someone (I dont know who) turned him in and Texas came and picked him up and took him away, back to Texas to Byrd and now we are waiting for the hearing (what hearing, I have no idea) but we have a lawyer and he ain't cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo View Post
Usually the chances of parole are the first time up 25% chance second 50% and so on. A lot of variables come to play with that also. Crime, history, cases and adjustment. All in all there is no guarentee that one will make parole. Kind of like no method to the madness so to speak.

Help him by writing support letters. Prove to the board that he had changed. It would be a good idea that he would write one for himeself also. They need to know he has changed and won't reoffend.

Good luck on the review!
Old 09-23-2009, 10:35 AM

Default question

A parol officer came to my house asking questions. Does this mean my husban is almost getting released. How would I know when? Ia sked her and she said she couldnt release any inforMATION/ cAN SOMEONE help me please!
Old 09-23-2009, 06:03 PM
NurseWife

They are working on it. They come out to the home to make sure it is a legit address and to make sure the person they put down as paroling to is okay with the offender going there. Then they will send in on the report if they feel the address to parole to is okay or not for approval.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:18 AM

If you PM me I can send you the outline i typed up and used for my Husband's Parole Packet.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:19 PM

Default Parole Lawyer

Does anyone have any advice about a good parole lawyer (in Texas)? I know there are a lot of bad stories about them ripping off family members, etc. Has anyone here hired one that was effective and didn't try to cheat them? Any smart place to search? My brother is coming up for parole in approx. June of 2010. I would really be grateful for any help anyone could offer to get him home.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelTRN44 View Post
They are working on it. They come out to the home to make sure it is a legit address and to make sure the person they put down as paroling to is okay with the offender going there. Then they will send in on the report if they feel the address to parole to is okay or not for approval.
Will they contact my landlord if I am going to bring in my ex-husband to parole to my house? I do not want my landlord to freak out because I wasnt going to tell him that he would parole here but just staying here.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:16 PM

Ok I have a question - My ex-husband just transferred to Gurney unit but has 4 charges in Dallas County that he has not been tried on yet. He has a Parole review date of Dec 17 2010 but will that change after he is tried for Dallas? Also, why would they send him to TDC and not to Dallas County (From another county)
Old 11-26-2011, 10:25 PM
christina kay

I am concerned about an inmate coming up for parole and scared for my family.. could u tell me how to go about finding out any information I can so I can be prepared and aware.
Thank you.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:28 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessnkat View Post
They do not actually have a hearing in Texas - they will interview him a couple of months prior to his parole eligibility date. All you can do is send support letters and/or a parole packet. And ask everyone you know that will write one to do so too.

Good luck to yall!
what if he was elgible for parole before he was transfered out of county? when do they interview him? since he was eligable before he arrived does that give him less of a chance to make parole the first time around??
Old 05-17-2012, 05:23 PM

My husband is still going through intake. He is having me get support letters together,but I am not sure why. He makes it sound as if he will see the Parole Board when he finishes intake. Is this possible?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:52 PM

Superstar of the Year 

Thanked 4,951 Times in 3,184 Posts

It depends on his PED and perhaps his PRD and where he is in the parole file process. I will send you a PM with the whole LLOONNGG parole file process!

[/color][/size][/center]

Old 10-13-2012, 10:35 PM

Whats a parole packet?? I need to know my husband just went up and was denied, he will go up again in june and I need to do more so he can make it home the 2nd time around. He been to prison before with smaller time but this is his first time where he trying to do right. He got 7yrs on a non agg, can anyone help
Old 10-13-2012, 11:21 PM

Superstar of the Year 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esternrudy View Post
Whats a parole packet?? I need to know my husband just went up and was denied, he will go up again in june and I need to do more so he can make it home the 2nd time around. He been to prison before with smaller time but this is his first time where he trying to do right. He got 7yrs on a non agg, can anyone help
Welcome to PTO! A parole packet is something we create for our loved ones. Each one is individual to the inmate, so you will have to create yours yourself. The packet includes letters from family, friends, community members, etc. that say what good we expect him/het to do once heís/sheís paroled. The most important thing that the voters look at is the letter the inmate writes for him/herself talking about how he/she has changed. The packet can include any certificates he/she may have earned while in prison, and it can also include pictures of the inmate with kids and other family if you want. Look at the Stickys at the top of the Texas Parole Preparation Forum for some examples. Here is a link to the Texas Parole Preparation Forum, and look at the posts in that forum for how to write the letters, create the packet, and conduct the phone interview. In your packet, if you want to, be sure to include a written request to get a phone interview with the lead voter. They donít have to grant phone interviews if they think they have enough info already, but it canít hurt to ask, right! Here is a thread that discusses what to say in the phone interview: phone interview thread. My packet included my manís personal hand-written letter, my letter, and a letter from his parents Ė and thatís all. They say the voters only have about 5 minutes per inmate file, so I didnít want to overwhelm them.

It is good to send the packet to the inmate him/herself so he/she can give it to the IPO, but you should send the packet (perhaps by return receipt mail) directly to the board that is reviewing him/her. Just make copies of the finished product and be sure to keep one yourself.You can go here to find the list of the different boards. Then click on "See Assigned Units" under each one until you find your loved one's unit. That's how you will know which board is going to review him/her. You can also check the TDCJ Online Offender Search to see what they say too! Send the packet to the parole office when you know the file is in review.

Good luck! Let us know if you have questions!

[/color][/size][/center]

The Following User Says Thank You to Renee For This Useful Post:
jade266881 (12-01-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 05:16 AM

I have prepared my Nephews parole packet. How long before a parole date should I send a parole packet to the board?
Old 10-16-2012, 03:21 PM

Superstar of the Year 

I think you should wait to hear that your loved one is "in review" and send it then, but whenever you send it, it will go into his/her file. You can call one of the status lines for to find out if he/she is in review or not. The specific reviewing board will have the most up to date information, though. You can go hereto find the list of the different boards. Then click on "See Assigned Units" under each one until you find your loved one's unit. That's how you will know which board is going to review him/her. Good luck!

[/color][/size][/center]

Old 01-13-2013, 02:05 AM

Hi Renee, My Boyfriend PED is may 1st 2013. He was just transferred to Lindsey state jail from gurney, but his case is not state they are just housing him there from TDCJ. I looked to find this unit under the assigned units but couldnt find this one. I'm not for sure when his file is in review.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:37 PM

Thanked 11,101 Times in 6,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCp View Post
Hi Renee, My Boyfriend PED is may 1st 2013. He was just transferred to Lindsey state jail from gurney, but his case is not state they are just housing him there from TDCJ. I looked to find this unit under the assigned units but couldnt find this one. I'm not for sure when his file is in review.
Lindsey is a GV Board Panel vote.

With a May date, I would venture that the file is already in review but perhaps not to the point of being transferred to a unit IPO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
MissCp (01-13-2013), Renee (01-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 03:42 PM

I really appreciate it.
The Following User Says Thank You to MissCp For This Useful Post:
Renee (01-13-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 05:42 AM

My Nephew's parole date is in March. He is preparing for his interview with the IPO. His parole packet is in place and I have requested to speak to the Board,Any suggestions that could help him have a good interview?
Old 01-14-2013, 03:49 PM

Superstar of the Year 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdog View Post
My Nephew's parole date is in March. He is preparing for his interview with the IPO. His parole packet is in place and I have requested to speak to the Board,Any suggestions that could help him have a good interview?
The interview process you're talking about consists of the IPO (Institutional Parole Officer) building up a report. The IPO asks the inmate relative questions like Why do you feel you should be released? What kind of changes have you made? What kind of goals do you have when you get out? The IPO takes down the inmate's home plan information and where he/she plans on paroling to. IPOs have offices set up in the actual units. They have an additional person there who types up the summary and compiles the information to be scanned over to the next step. That's the proofreading process; when they say it's still on the IPO's desk...thatís what they mean. If there are errors, then itís sent to Huntsville for corrections and back to the IPO. Once the IPO is satisfied, then it's moved to the Board for a vote. For your phone interview, we had a great discussion about phone interviews in this thread! And the end of the thread Prd approved!!! talks about some of the things they may be looking for. Good luck!

[/color][/size][/center]

Old 06-10-2013, 10:59 PM

My husband seen the IPO today... It's his second time up!! I'm praying he makes it this time!!! I'm so anxious already just having to wait!! 😔😳
Old 07-13-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by les2412
My husband seen the IPO today... It's his second time up!! I'm praying he makes it this time!!! I'm so anxious already just having to wait!! dde14dde33
He got denied again his short wave is may 21,2014 and that's when he comes up again!! 10 months :,(
Old 07-13-2013, 06:58 AM
Missinh1m

Talking Meet the Parole Officials at the TIFA Parole Workshop on 24 Aug in Amarillo

Meet the Parole Officials at the TIFA Parole Workshop on 24 Aug in Amarillo (click for more Information)

Parole Packet Workshop Sat. Aug 24, 2013 Buchanan Street United Methodist Church, 617 N. Buchanan Street, Amarillo, TX 79107
11:30 - 12:00PM Registration
12:00 PMĖ 4:00 PM Opening Remarks - Pat Profit, TIFA Regional Director
Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles - The Parole Process Institutional Parole Officer (IPO) - The Offender Interview TDCJ Parole Division - What to Expect From a Parole Office
Working Session - "Preparing a Parole Packet"
Registration fee: $50 per person for members. $85 for non-members (includes membership check or money order). Call 512-371-0900 .
If you pay by PayPal or credit card, registration can be accomplished on line by going to "Join Now" and the second area will be the Amarillo Workshop payment. Registration information is to be filled out on the PayPal/Credit Card payment area. Please provide Name/Address & phone number in the buyers instructions along with inmate information for non-members.
Registration form CANNOT be filled out online. It must be PRINTED out and mailed to TIFA with a check or money order. Mailing address is on the form
The Following User Says Thank You to sthuffman For This Useful Post:
Y25 (07-15-2013)