Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WEST VIRGINIA > West Virginia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

West Virginia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of West Virginia.

Old 01-05-2006, 07:28 PM

Question Anyone know anything about Anthony Center????

My fiance just got down to Anthony Center and i have no idea whats going on. I am very new at this kinda thing. When do they get their first phone call, how does the vistation work, that kinda stuff. I am very worried about him and dont know what to do without him. Anyone who can help, i would really appreciate it.
Thanks so much
Old 01-06-2006, 08:03 AM

Post Acc

Anthony Correctional Center
Box N-1, HC 70
White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986
(Phone) (304) 536-3911
(Fax) (304) 536-3916

Anthony Correctional Center is located in Neola, West Virginia on Rt. 92 in Greenbrier County, 15 miles north of White Sulphur Springs. It was built in 1965 66 and maintained by the federal government as the Anthony Civilian Job Corps Center until 1968. In October 1970, the facility was leased by the West Virginia Department of Public Institutions (now Division of Corrections) from the federal government to operate a community involved, educationally oriented, correctional facility for male juvenile offenders.
In January 1980, Anthony Center was designated as a young adult male offender correctional center; no longer accepting juvenile commitments, but young males adjudicated under the Youthful Offenders Act.
In March 1985, Anthony Center was converted into a co-correctional facility in order to provide equal opportunities for both male and female adult offenders. This transition was necessitated by the WV Supreme Court ruling in the Flack vs. Sizer/McCoy case which stated that WV Code 25-4-1, et.seq. is to be applied in a gender-neutral fashion.
At present, Anthony Correctional Center primarily houses male and female young adult offenders between the ages of 18-21. Offenders are committed for a term of six months to two years. At the end of six months if the offender has completed all program requirements, he or she is released by court order. However, if the inmate is deemed by the court to be unfit or has repeatedly broken the rules of the institution, he or she can be sentenced to the Division of Corrections as an adult offender.
Due to overcrowding in regional and county jails, on 15 January 2001, Anthony Correctional Center began housing twenty four (24) males in the Diagnostic Unit. These males are committed to our facility for a maximum of sixty (60) days. During that time period, the males participate in a series of psychological testing and interviews and a report is submitted to the sentencing judge. The report is used by the sentencing court to indicate how the inmate will respond to a supervised and structured setting (incarceration) or an unsupervised and unstructured setting (probation).

Old 01-06-2006, 05:03 PM

Thanks rezurrected!
I noticed Potomac Highlands is on your profile, how long has your cousin been there? That is where my boyfriend was before he got house arrest. He is now at Anthony Center.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:46 PM
Donation Award 

http://prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56053

Check out this link.

Good luck!
Old 01-07-2006, 07:00 AM

Thanks!
I just got news from my fiance's mom (i havent found a way for him to call me yet) that Anthony's minimum time is 10 months. Going in they said he could be home in 6 (8 is more likely). Does anybody know if this is true or what's going on?? Please let me know
Old 01-08-2006, 04:11 PM
Donation Award 

The inmate's at the ACC are given 6 months to 2 years to complete their programming in order to avoid their original sentence. It really is a wonderful second chance they are given. If they work hard and do what is asked of them someone who is facing a much, much longer sentence can be out in as little as six months. The Anthony Center isn't a bad place, certainly a lot better than the other DOC facilities, and gives inmates from 18-23 an opportunity to turn their lives around without serving prison time. How long it takes to complete the program pretty much depends on the inmate and his/her attitude.

Good luck.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:30 PM

Smile

Thanks so much for your help. I know know a little bit more about the program and Jon says it isnt so bad down there. He did say the foods much better than in any county jail he's been in. HAHA! Oh but 1 more question for you: if he has money in his account, can he make a call that isnt collect? I really want to talk to him and need to figure something out before I loose my mind!!
Old 01-09-2006, 12:02 AM
Donation Award 

Jon will have to fill out a form with all the telephone numbers that he wants to call and they will have to be approved before he can call you. Unfortunately, all calls from ACC will be collect. It has nothing to do with having money on his account.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:06 AM

It was 1 year and 1 month on beginning of the New Year. I really don't like that place at all. He has been denied to receive all the medical treatment he needs after a life threatening car accident. I really meant to say my cousin's boyfriend is place in Potomac. He was up for Reconsideration but it seems like no one wants to do the job given. This is such a legal mess---if I was little bit younger I do believe that I go to law school and do pro bono work. My best friend is in Mansfield. Ohio prison and his case was just unfailr---I made a petition up and posted it in the forum. I hope you soon find more out about ACC---I don't leave far from it at all---just about 18 miles. A friend of mine works there as OC---I will run this all by him and see what he tells me.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:14 PM

Thank you. Any info you have will be very helpful. I know that jon said the place isnt too bad, but some of the officers are asses. He said the food is decent. HAHA
Old 06-25-2009, 11:37 AM

Hi,I'm new here. My son has been sentence and will be going to ACC. Anyway. I like to get much info on this place hes going too. I worry about him,we just lost his brother next to him in a car accident. I seen him yesterday,and he doesn't look good at all. I think the judge unfair to sentence him to this,and not the guy who involved him. The other guy is on probation and taking drug court,and this was his 2nd offense.