Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > GREEN HAVEN HUB - NY DOCS
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GREEN HAVEN HUB - NY DOCS New York State Prisons & Institutions located inside the GREEN HAVEN HUB - Green Haven, Downstate, Fishkill, Beacon, Taconic, Bedford Hills.

Old 08-25-2004, 11:39 PM
home since 8/06

Exclamation Downstate Reception Information: What you need to know

Visiting Downstate? Have questions? Post and Read Below

Good Luck....

Also, Visit this link below for Downstate info:
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82960

Most Common Question:

Quote:
How long do they keep you at downstate before an inmate is transfered?

Last edited by Manzanita; 12-20-2005 at 09:01 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2004, 06:21 AM
one lucky woman

Eric was there a little over a month. I think it depends on when an "appropriate" bed opens up, rather than being a fixed time.

Diamond: a lump of coal that did well under pressure
Old 08-26-2004, 01:19 PM

Can be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months..... all depends on Albany.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:38 PM
Just Ask Me:)

Exclamation Downstate / Ulster Reception Prisons. (info)

Every time I went to downstate from Rikers Island, weather it was starting a new bid or for a parole violation. I was there for 7 to 10 days. In some cases people are there longer because of their classification and they are waiting for a bed to open in either a Max or a Minimum security prison. If an inmate is classified medium...he more than likely only stays for about a week. Because, NY has ALOT of medium joints all over the state and there is always bed space for medium security inmates.

Downstate is not too comfortable for an inmate. Because, they have no access to books and they do not give out tobacco anymore. The only time an inmate is let out of their cell is for meals and to take medical tests, etc.; Otherwise, you just sit in your cell with absolutely nothing to do at all. Downstate was opened in 1980. It was designed and built for federal inmates. But, after it was built the feds realized it was built on top of a swamp and it was not up to federal standards. When you walk in the tunnels you always see puddles of water leaking in (so the state bought it as a recption center). If an inmate is serving ALOT of time sometimes Downstate keeps him in the facility to work the messhall, the barbershop (because fresh inmates get their head shaved) and to work the grounds and as porters. But, 98% of the inmates are just there to wait to get sent to other joints. The least amount of time I spent in downstate was less than 48 hours. Because, I got work release and I was sent to downstate from Auburn and the next day or so I was on a bus heading for the city to the Lincoln facility...a day after that I was walking down the street a free man. I could not believe the luck I got getting WR. But, this was before Pataki. Before him violent offenders with a good record got work release as long as they had enough points and had less that 2 years to the parole board. Nowadays, you can only get work release for nonviolent crimes...PERIOD!

When I first went to downstate, they used to give inmates boxes of "Top" tobacco for free. But, the last time I was there, they don't give you anything. The only thing I was thinking about is having a cigarette. I was able to get one here and there from guys that got visits from their families. I never had anyone visit me in downstate because you never knew when you were going on the draft (transfer).
They opened Ulster in late 1990 as a reception center for inmates that had 6 years or less, they built it to take the strain off downstate's population and to get the state ready inmates out of the county jails quicker. Once an inmate is sentenced to state time, the state only has 2 weeks to get the "state ready" inmate in a state joint. Otherwise, that inmate can sue for each day he is in a county jail past two weeks. State inmates are given different and better rights than city inmates.

I can write a book about the NYS penal system...I am already working on a book about my life growing up in NYC, with the gangsterism, the crime, drug life, prison life and countless other stuff. We all have a story to tell. But, I was told that my life story is very graphic, intense and gripping. The book would be at least 1000 pages and it would make a good screen play...Especially if it was filmed in New York City, taking place in the late 70's and 80's...New York at it's worst. I was there and saw it all and I'm still alive to talk about it as a free man.
Thank God!
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/new...ote=1&p=718565
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alex_Milkplus.jpg (12.2 KB, 90 views)

https://www.facebook.com/DAVENICENYC

Last edited by DAVE NYC; 08-30-2004 at 01:46 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAVE NYC For This Useful Post:
dblockthefinest (07-11-2013), piglet786 (10-21-2009)
Old 08-31-2004, 07:24 PM

Lightbulb

You are driven to downstate for processing, to determine what type of facility that will fit an inmates needs and what classification he falls into, they check an inmates education, they do interviews on their past drug history, they take blood work, they receive their first set of state issue clothes, they get their rule book, they get their heads shaved for ID purposes, then the admin decides where they will send your loved one. I can gives tips on how to avoid getting your head shaved, I can give info on how to get an inmate sent to a facility close to where they live. Because, their time starts at downstate and their fate is decided at downstate.

I would hate to see this thread get lost in the sauce with the rest of the threads.

But, I will continue to provide as much info as possible on anything that has to do with NYS prisons/Jails. I have been doing this for 20 years.

Edit:
If you notice I only have 29 posts. But, I have about 13 hours on this board. Some people have thousands of posts and have less hours than me. That is because, when I make a post, I take my time and think out everything I write. Of course I have a typo here and there. But, when I post, I put a part of me and my knowledge in these posts/threads. The time spent on this forum is not from reading that many threads. If I see a thread I can add too I write what I can offer. I like to write from the heart.

Last edited by Manzanita; 12-29-2004 at 08:05 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAVE NYC For This Useful Post:
heartscrub827 (10-01-2013), princess_rivera (11-21-2016)
Old 09-01-2004, 06:33 PM

my man was in downstate for 3 weeks,he said it's next door to hell.then they moved him all the way to buffalo.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrevene
my man was in downstate for 3 weeks,he said it's next door to hell.then they moved him all the way to buffalo.
When I first went to downstate 15 years ago, it was clean and kind of new. They gave out tobacco, they had books, they gave you headphones to plug into the wall near your bunk so you could listen to the radio...they had three plugs for the headphones to plug into. One was for rock, one for hip hop and one for news. They stopped giving the head phones out when they stopped giving out tobacco. The headphones were always getting broken or stolen and the tobacco was costing too much. The food used to be excellent...now it is slop. It really went downhill. That is because they had to divide the reception costs between downstate and ulster reception.

As for sending him far away...it is the luck of the draw. They send an inmate wherever a bed opens up. Most of the joints close to home are really full. Because there is a huge waiting list for dudes that have a lot of time in to get to them and most dudes don't want to leave the joints close to NYC. So, new inmates usually start all the way north and have to somehow work their way down. The reason they started this hub crap is because, each hub is responsible for transferring inmates within said hub. Before they would have prison buses going from one end of the state to another. Now, if you are all the way upstate and you get work release for an example. You will go from hub to hub till you get to downstate. They will take you to the next Max joint and place you "in transit" for the night...till you go to the next hub and so on...till you get back downstate. It is a messed up system.

The Following User Says Thank You to DAVE NYC For This Useful Post:
piglet786 (10-21-2009)
Old 09-01-2004, 07:24 PM
home since 8/06

Quote:
You are correct about Albany deciding what "they" think is best for an inmate. You see...sometimes when a man has spent a very long time doing his bid in a cell...it is sometimes a shock when that man is placed in a huge noisy dorm setting with a 100 inmates running around the dorm like idiots. A man really can't get the privacy he had when he gets sent to a Medium after a lot of years. As far as 6 month review for transfers...Sometimes men don't want to leave the joint they are in...regardless if it is closer to home. When they are in a prison and they have no beef and they have a routine and have friends and a job that helps him pass the time. Sometimes it is freighting to go to another prison to get readjusted to a new setting and start from scratch making new friends and making a new routine for himself. So, they are just better off staying in a prison they are comfortable with. I know that when I went up for transfer reviews every 6 months, I declined on the transfer many times. Because, I was comfortable where I was at. I had respect. People knew me and I was able to do my time in harmony that way...So, it is not unusual for men to want to stay put till they get out.
At first he wanted to move to a medium, I think, mentally he thought it would be better. he thought he could be closer to home, But then he decided he does not want to leave and he does not want to move after being in one place so long, it would not be good for him, I am sure, not for anyone, so for this one Albany was correct. he is only an hour away now, and I have my transportation and friends, he has his friends, his cell that he knows of...he is better off.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:38 PM
Wishing On A Star...

My boyfriend was in Downstate for reception. He was there for a little over month. He was able to have visits 7 days a week after he was there for about a week or two...I really can't remember exactly.

He was able to get mail and send it, but that was only because he hustled some stamps. He wasn't able to get to the store and he had no phone calls. I wasn't allowed to send or bring packages either.

He was transferred to Mt. McGregor after that.

Just a word of caution for those who are visiting Downstate for the first time. They are absolutely MISERABLE there. They will go out of their way to find something wrong with your clothing, so be extra careful, bring a change of clothes, something! They will also try to talk to you like you are the one incarcerated. Especially the female C.O.'s, just be forewarned...it can also take inmates up to an hour to be processed for a visit if you don't get there early...
The Following User Says Thank You to Cottontail For This Useful Post:
piglet786 (10-21-2009)
Old 09-26-2004, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontail
My boyfriend was in Downstate for reception. He was there for a little over month. He was able to have visits 7 days a week after he was there for about a week or two...I really can't remember exactly.

He was able to get mail and send it, but that was only because he hustled some stamps. He wasn't able to get to the store and he had no phone calls. I wasn't allowed to send or bring packages either.

He was transferred to Mt. McGregor after that.

Just a word of caution for those who are visiting Downstate for the first time. They are absolutely MISERABLE there. They will go out of their way to find something wrong with your clothing, so be extra careful, bring a change of clothes, something! They will also try to talk to you like you are the one incarcerated. Especially the female C.O.'s, just be forewarned...it can also take inmates up to an hour to be processed for a visit if you don't get there early...
Yes, Downstate is a hell hole. You only allowed one phone call that lasts 3 minutes (if you are lucky).
Most inmates don't spend a month at downstate. They try to get inmates in, processed and out to a general population prison within a week. That way they can get in more "state ready" inmates in to get processed. So, if you don't live that close to Downstate. Don't bother to visit. Sometimes it is just better to wait and visit your loved one at his final destination. In fact, tell your loved one to just go though the Downstate process and let him know that you will visit him as soon as he gets to his final destination. That way he does not have to go nuts trying to get stamps, try to make calls, etc.; As soon as he gets to his final destination facility he can call you as soon as possible to let you know what joint he is in and you can visit him their without going through the bull that Downstate puts you through. I spend time at Mt Mcgegor, it is a really old place. It used to be a TB hospital and it is in Wilton, NY you have to drive around a mountain to get to the prison. It is so high up. you can walk though the clouds at times.

Anyhow, it is just better not to bother trying to visit your loved one at Downstate. 95% of the inmates only spend approx. 7 days at D/S. So, it is worth the wait. However there is a few inmates that might have to be at downstate for a little longer (for whatever reason). But usually it is not more than 6 weeks at the most. So, you should just stick it out.

Last edited by DAVE NYC; 09-26-2004 at 01:55 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DAVE NYC For This Useful Post:
piglet786 (10-26-2009)
Old 10-01-2004, 12:54 PM

I just found out my husband was sent to Downstate. How do I know for sure that he is just there for reception and not to serve his whole bid? I'm so upset that he's there. I haven't heard from him since yesterday and now I know why......

How long will it be b4 he get's phone privileges? and can write?

Last edited by Manzanita; 05-29-2005 at 08:20 PM..
Old 10-10-2004, 09:38 AM
Luvin U Till The End!!

Exclamation food package info for Downstate

Dave, My fiance was brought into Downstate Correctional Facility for classification. What food items can I send to him and can they come from home. Also, what happens to all of his things when he gets transferred to another prison??

Last edited by Manzanita; 05-29-2005 at 08:18 PM..
Old 10-10-2004, 04:13 PM
Luvin U Till The End!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTT
I just found out my husband was sent to Downstate. How do I know for sure that he is just there for reception and not to serve his whole bid? I'm so upset that he's there. I haven't heard from him since yesterday and now I know why......

How long will it be b4 he get's phone privileges? and can write?
My fiance was just sent to downstate as well. You can call the prison and give them his DIN#. They told me he would have 3 chances in 3 days to make 1 phone call. He got there on Friday and I got my call around 7:30pm last night. The call lasted about 10 minutes. He wants me to go visit and they say visiting is every day from 8:30-2:30 but newbies (like my fiance waiting to be transferred) have to wait 1 wk for a visit. I am able to go next saturday (oct 23) they advise that u call the night before to make sure he is still there and not being transferred. I have written a letter to him there. I am unsure if he got it yet or not. the address for inmate mail is

Inmate Name & Number
Box F
Fishkill NY 12524
Old 11-22-2004, 07:12 PM

Default Downstate

My son is at Downstate reception. He wrote me that he can visistors the Sat after Thanksgiving. What can I bring him that they will allow in reception and are there any motels nearby. It's a 4 hour drive and I want to be there first thing in the morning.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:31 PM

Welcome to PTO.... I'm not sure what he is allowed but I'm sure you can leave him money. As for Hotels there are many to chose from in Fishkill... Holiday Inn 1 800 465 4329, Hamton Inn 845 896 4000, Hilton 845 896 7100, Towne Inn 845 896 6767. Those are a few they are all on Route 9 which is right off of Interstate 84.
Good luck and I hope you have a great visit.
Sam's girl
Old 11-22-2004, 08:27 PM
one lucky woman

I know you can bring reading materials, tobacco, and most snack foods. Somewhere ion here there is a thread entitled "allowable items in NY prisons" that's more specific about the food.
Don't forget to lock your car and wear a shirt that comes halfway down your thighs. They deal with a constantly shifting population and are very definite about the rules. When I was going there there was really cheap coffee, best thing about it.

Diamond: a lump of coal that did well under pressure
Old 11-23-2004, 06:38 AM
home since 8/06

Welcome!
DownState

Last edited by Manzanita; 12-29-2004 at 07:44 PM..
Old 11-28-2004, 04:17 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightingale
My son is at Downstate reception. He wrote me that he can visistors the Sat after Thanksgiving. What can I bring him that they will allow in reception and are there any motels nearby. It's a 4 hour drive and I want to be there first thing in the morning.
I have been through downstate reception at least 5 different times and in my eyes if you do not live very close to downstate, it is not really worth visiting your loved one. In most cases a reception inmate is there for approx. 7 days. Although in some cases it could be weeks. But, out of the 5 different times I was there, I never spent any longer than 5 to 7 days max.
I told my wife and other family members and friends not to bother visiting me while I was at downstate. I told them to wait till I was at my final destination facility.
That way, the inmate can get a regular visit with better conditions. Downstate is kind of strict when it comes to things being brought in by a visitor and when an inmate is on the draft (a transfer to their final destination), most of the time downstate does not let the inmate that is on the "draft" take food items with them to their final destination. They are allowed to take sealed packs of smokes (sometimes) and that is about it. They make/made inmates throw away their deodorant, shampoo, personal soap, food items, books and just about everything that was brought to them on a downstate visit. When I heard that, I said to myself...I can stick it out a week till I get to my final resting place, as not to have my family go through the BS that downstate puts their visitors through and not to lose anything they brought me. So, I just waited and when I landed at my final prison, I started to have people visit me and bring me the things I needed and could use. In some cases downstate might send you to a prison that is closer to your home than downstate is...depending on where you hail from.
But, that is just how I saw things, in no way am I saying people should not visit their loved ones at downstate. To be honest...when downstate stopped giving out "top" tobacco and I had nothing to smoke. I banged my head against the cell door just to get out, in the hopes I would get a smoke. It worked, I was taken out with a minor gash on my head and the sergeant asked me why I did it and I quietly said "because, I needed a smoke and I was going nutz." He discreetly handed me half a pack of smokes and matches and said if he had anymore problems from me...then, I would be hurting for real...lol

Anyhow, good luck to all people who visit their loved ones at downstate.
The last time I was there was over 10 years ago. So, things might have changed, (for the better or for the worse). In any event...Good Luck.

Old 02-17-2005, 09:32 PM

Post Moving Rikers to Downstate and then what?

I have been going out of my mind trying to understand all that is going on with my husband and i just cant seem to get anywhere. He was arrested may 2nd , sentence feb 2nd. was moved from rikers island to downstate in fishkill yesterday. I was told that he can have a visit next week , then someone else tells me its just temporary where he is. How can i find out if downstate is where hell stay and if not when and where will they be moving him. I live out of ny so fishkill is only 50 mins to an hour from me( im in NJ) and would of been ideal under the circumstances the best place for him. But if this is not the case where do people that are in downstate go if they have to leave, and does him having the hiv virus have impact on where he goes.

thanks much
Old 02-18-2005, 06:36 AM
home since 8/06

Welcome to PTO I am sure a lot of us here can relate to you and how you feel, I moved this post you wrote here to maybe better serve your question There is no saying exactly where and when he will be moved or why, but if you read here some of this can help you understand, and others can too

also, read this linkn below too for DOWNSTATE INFO....Good Luck

Old 02-18-2005, 11:01 AM

my husband went from rikers island where he was for 9months waiting for sentenceing and was just moved three days ago to downstate in fishkill. i was told that i have to wait till the 26th to visit him. Does this mean he is staying there permantly or will they move him in a couple of weeks elsewhere .. I am so confussed. thanks and also if anyone knows anything they can tell me about down state i would appreciate it. Our 13 year old son has not seen his dad since may 2nd last year as i thought rikers would be to much for him to go through just for an hour visit. what should i exspect at downstate... thanks so much. shees i wonder how we all make it through this. I dont know about you all. But im still in the angry state. kinds stinks
thanks again
Old 02-19-2005, 09:21 AM
home since 8/06

PLease read some of the information in the link I posted above...this one

if he is at Downstate, he will not be there long, they will transfer him to a facility from there, but no one can tell when, they just move them and they don't even know when.
Don't stress, take it easy and maybe you should try to visit as soon as you can, like they said, the 26th right?
Old 02-19-2005, 09:27 AM
home since 8/06

this link will help you understand Reception which is what he is going through now.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=107411

Downstate / Ulster Reception Prisons. (some info)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every time I went to downstate from Rikers Island, weather it was starting a new bid or for a parole violation. I was there for 7 to 10 days. In some cases people are there longer because of their classification and they are waiting for a bed to open in either a Max or a Minimum security prison. If an inmate is classified medium...he more than likely only stays for about a week. Because, NY has ALOT of medium joints all over the state and there is always bed space for medium security inmates.

Downstate is not too comfortable for an inmate. Because, they have no access to books and they do not give out tobacco anymore. The only time an inmate is let out of their cell is for meals and to take medical tests, etc.; Otherwise, you just sit in your cell with absolutely nothing to do at all. Downstate was opened in 1980. It was designed and built for federal inmates. But, after it was built the feds realized it was built on top of a swamp and it was not up to federal standards. When you walk in the tunnels you always see puddles of water leaking in (so the state bought it as a recption center). If an inmate is serving ALOT of time sometimes Downstate keeps him in the facility to work the messhall, the barbershop (because fresh inmates get their head shaved) and to work the grounds and as porters. But, 98% of the inmates are just there to wait to get sent to other joints. The least amount of time I spent in downstate was less than 48 hours. Because, I got work release and I was sent to downstate from Auburn and the next day or so I was on a bus heading for the city to the Lincoln facility...a day after that I was walking down the street a free man. I could not believe the luck I got getting WR. But, this was before Pataki. Before him violent offenders with a good record got work release as long as they had enough points and had less that 2 years to the parole board. Nowadays, you can only get work release for nonviolent crimes...PERIOD!

When I first went to downstate, they used to give inmates boxes of "Top" tobacco for free. But, the last time I was there, they don't give you anything. The only thing I was thinking about is having a cigarette. I was able to get one here and there from guys that got visits from their families. I never had anyone visit me in downstate because you never knew when you were going on the draft (transfer).
They opened Ulster in late 1990 as a reception center for inmates that had 6 years or less, they built it to take the strain off downstate's population and to get the state ready inmates out of the county jails quicker. Once an inmate is sentenced to state time, the state only has 2 weeks to get the "state ready" inmate in a state joint. Otherwise, that inmate can sue for each day he is in a county jail past two weeks. State inmates are given different and better rights than city inmates.

Last edited by Manzanita; 12-20-2005 at 11:59 PM..
Old 03-01-2005, 10:24 AM

Unhappy Downstate Visit

I went to downstate three times to visit my husband last week And after reading what a lot of you said i question weather its the same Downstate i went to last week. I found it personally to be very easy going and not stressfull at all. It was in a nice area, easy to get to. The first time i got there about 9am and waiting untill about 9:50 to be processed for the visit. Mind you that in that time, i had to fill out two papers, get a locker key , put my things away and walk through the medal detector. I didnt think compared to other places i had been to visit him where it took 2-3 hours to get my visit that this was bad at all. I was allowed to bring him food and cigarettes . They are allowed 35 pounds of food each month and 2 cartons of cigarrettes each month. I was allowed to bring photos in the visiting area to show him but had to take them back with me when i left. I did notice a couple of people having problems with the co's but It was only because those visitors were being nasty and arguementive. One example. The co told the visitor that they could not bring in deodorant that has alcohol in it. The visitor started screaming and cussing and saying that it was bs and so on. The visitor in my opinion caused the problem with the co herself. Sure we all think that some of the rules are bogus. but never the less, they are rules and if we want to have a smooth visit then follow the rules. DUH lol - well thats about all i can add. as for the clothing thing. the only thing that i saw that was an issue was when people had to much medal on their jeans or had underwire bras on. when you have an underwire bra on. they have you remove it in the bathroom , put it in a bag, then they go through the detector, then they give you the bra back and you can put it back on befor you go in the visiting room. I chose to not wear an underwire bra so to save the time and hassle.

all in all, for me it was not a bad visit and went smooth, good luck to y ou all
2 years till my husband comes home
The Following User Says Thank You to mejust For This Useful Post:
O's Sweetheart (09-14-2016)
Old 03-01-2005, 06:59 PM
home since 8/06

thanks for sharing this with us, I am sure it will help alot of us,