Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > GREEN HAVEN HUB - NY DOCS
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GREEN HAVEN HUB - NY DOCS New York State Prisons & Institutions located inside the GREEN HAVEN HUB - Green Haven, Downstate, Fishkill, Beacon, Taconic, Bedford Hills.

Old 03-22-2005, 03:58 PM

Question From Downstate to I don't know where?

I am new at this, I rolled across this looking for information on anything that I could find. I skipped work today because Angel (my boyfriend) is supposed to be transferred this week, I don't know when or where. He is currently in Nassau County in Long Island, he told me sunday he would be going down state and then he would go upstate, well I have never been to New York so I know nothing about there system, he was arrested in SC in september, to find he had a warrant for him in New York, Now he has finally had his sentence issued to him which his lawyer told me 36 months, but angel tells me 20 months, and his lawyer isn't the nicest man in the world he is very intimidating, so I don't call him He was cheap that is why he was hired. But you get what you pay for. Well back to my point is that I have no idea, I have read up on some information about downstate, but I don't see much about upstate what does that mean?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2005, 05:33 PM
home since 8/06

Welcome!

here is some info for Upstate, but not the most... I think I saw that someone here knows about Upstate, Good luck

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...ghlight=Malone
Old 03-22-2005, 06:01 PM
one lucky woman

Downstate Correctional Facility is the reception center in Fishkill, NY- do a search on the NY forum and you will find lots of info. "Upstate" is a geral term for "going to prison"- there is also a specific facility called Upstate- but chances are he will not know where he is going to go until after the Downstate part. Hope this helps- welcome to PTO!

Diamond: a lump of coal that did well under pressure
Old 03-22-2005, 06:50 PM
home since 8/06

Welcome!
DownState
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82960

Last edited by Manzanita; 12-21-2005 at 12:01 AM..
Old 03-22-2005, 06:58 PM

Thank you for your replies, no the only thing he knows is that he is going upstates no specific facility named. I only wish I knew, yes its bugging me. He said he would call me to let me know exactly when he is there. No call yet so not sure if he has arrived downstate yet. I am just anxious and i wanna know everything I can, Honestly I am scared to death for him.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:05 PM
home since 8/06

so then this is not for Upstate. ok

Last edited by Manzanita; 03-22-2005 at 07:06 PM..
Old 03-22-2005, 07:45 PM
one lucky woman

He will not be able to call for the first 5 days, so don't stress. Check the NYS DOC website inmate locator and when he is there it will tell you.

Last edited by haswtch; 03-22-2005 at 07:47 PM..
Old 03-22-2005, 09:44 PM

Default Completely Lost - Where do I send money now that he's been transferred?

About a week ago my cousin got transfer from Riker to Downstate.. Well now that he got transfer am completely lost on where am I suppose to place the money...Help!!!!!!!!
He is probably starving to death, since his mother doesnt even care about him and his family has turn there back on him..
Old 03-23-2005, 11:10 AM

Thanked 3,307 Times in 1,684 Posts
Default add address

Send a money order to the address at Downstate-just put his name on it along with his DIN. Yeah, you're right he probably doesn't have any money on his account if he just transferred-it takes a long time for money to catch up.

name DIN
Downstate
po box F
Fishkill, NY 12524

Last edited by thatwiz; 03-23-2005 at 11:17 AM..
Old 04-08-2005, 02:31 PM

Hi everyone I'm new here and have a question. I looked up my boyfriend at DOC and found out they moved in from rikers to downstate. He was arrested for a parole violation and has to serve 90 days. He served two weeks of that at rikers, and I was wondering would they just leave him at downstate cause he only has two and a half months? Or would they just use downstate for him passing through and then move him again to complete his 90 day sentence?

Thanks,
Jewel
Old 04-12-2005, 02:15 PM
Always Remembered

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,829 Times in 11,078 Posts
Default How Much Time At Downstate?

My ex returned to the system Jan. 7, and has been put in Downstate after a sojourn at Valhalla. Parole put a 5-month hold on him. Is that where he'll stay 'till release (only 2 1/2 months away)? And how will I know what that actual date is? (This is a DV case, and I want to know when to start monitoring the phone, and locking my doors again.)
Old 04-14-2005, 02:40 PM
Not active-find *********

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,374 Times in 3,006 Posts
Default Reception

my son is in Reception at Elmira. He only got to call one time when he was there n the first 2 weeks. They are giving them orientation, physicals, tests, counselling sessions etc. and they pretty much limit their contact. But after the 2 weeks, my son can call three times a week and I can visit every day if I didn't have to work for a living!

It took three days after he got to Elmira Recpetion for him to show up on DOCS. He can get letters and send letters though. so do not wait for him to call if you know he is in Downstate--just start the letters coming--he will really appreciate them in the first 2 weeks or relative isolation. You can send a few pictures and money for his commissary--send a money order in your letter --make it out to him with his DIN next to his name : eg: John Jone 05-C9902--it will go right into his account and he can buy some stuff when he gets to go to commissary (again my son had to wait 2 weeks for ?commissary--but he really appreciated getting jnk food, paper etc. when he finally got there.

Good luck!

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
Old 04-14-2005, 03:58 PM

He may stay at Downstate or he may be transferred at the last minute. You can ask Parole to let you knwo when he will be released.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Need your help

I read your post and wanted to know what can my loved one do so he doesn't get sent so far away from home. This is his second felony. He was classified as a medium and is at downstate. He was sentenced to 6 to life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE NYC
Every time I went to downstate from Rikers Island, weather it was starting a new bid or for a parole violation. I was there for 7 to 10 days. In some cases people are there longer because of their classification and they are waiting for a bed to open in either a Max or a Minimum security prison. If an inmate is classified medium...he more than likely only stays for about a week. Because, NY has ALOT of medium joints all over the state and there is always bed space for medium security inmates.

Downstate is not too comfortable for an inmate. Because, they have no access to books and they do not give out tobacco anymore. The only time an inmate is let out of their cell is for meals and to take medical tests, etc.; Otherwise, you just sit in your cell with absolutely nothing to do at all. Downstate was opened in 1980. It was designed and built for federal inmates. But, after it was built the feds realized it was built on top of a swamp and it was not up to federal standards. When you walk in the tunnels you always see puddles of water leaking in (so the state bought it as a recption center). If an inmate is serving ALOT of time sometimes Downstate keeps him in the facility to work the messhall, the barbershop (because fresh inmates get their head shaved) and to work the grounds and as porters. But, 98% of the inmates are just there to wait to get sent to other joints. The least amount of time I spent in downstate was less than 48 hours. Because, I got work release and I was sent to downstate from Auburn and the next day or so I was on a bus heading for the city to the Lincoln facility...a day after that I was walking down the street a free man. I could not believe the luck I got getting WR. But, this was before Pataki. Before him violent offenders with a good record got work release as long as they had enough points and had less that 2 years to the parole board. Nowadays, you can only get work release for nonviolent crimes...PERIOD!

When I first went to downstate, they used to give inmates boxes of "Top" tobacco for free. But, the last time I was there, they don't give you anything. The only thing I was thinking about is having a cigarette. I was able to get one here and there from guys that got visits from their families. I never had anyone visit me in downstate because you never knew when you were going on the draft (transfer).
They opened Ulster in late 1990 as a reception center for inmates that had 6 years or less, they built it to take the strain off downstate's population and to get the state ready inmates out of the county jails quicker. Once an inmate is sentenced to state time, the state only has 2 weeks to get the "state ready" inmate in a state joint. Otherwise, that inmate can sue for each day he is in a county jail past two weeks. State inmates are given different and better rights than city inmates.

I can write a book about the NYS penal system...I am already working on a book about my life growing up in NYC, with the gangsterism, the crime, drug life, prison life and countless other stuff. We all have a story to tell. But, I was told that my life story is very graphic, intense and gripping. The book would be at least 1000 pages and it would make a good screen play...Especially if it was filmed in New York City, taking place in the late 70's and 80's...New York at it's worst. I was there and saw it all and I'm still alive to talk about it as a free man.
Thank God!
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/new...ote=1&p=718565
Old 05-09-2005, 02:54 PM
one lucky woman

Sad to say, they tend to just send you wherever they like- various factors enter in like nature of offense and length of sentence and where a bed opens up, but if there's a way to make the inmate's or family's wishes count for anything, I've never yet heard of it.

Old 05-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Just Ask Me:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejust
I went to downstate three times to visit my husband last week And after reading what a lot of you said i question weather its the same Downstate i went to last week. I found it personally to be very easy going and not stressfull at all. It was in a nice area, easy to get to. The first time i got there about 9am and waiting untill about 9:50 to be processed for the visit. Mind you that in that time, i had to fill out two papers, get a locker key , put my things away and walk through the medal detector. I didnt think compared to other places i had been to visit him where it took 2-3 hours to get my visit that this was bad at all. I was allowed to bring him food and cigarettes . They are allowed 35 pounds of food each month and 2 cartons of cigarrettes each month. I was allowed to bring photos in the visiting area to show him but had to take them back with me when i left. I did notice a couple of people having problems with the co's but It was only because those visitors were being nasty and arguementive. One example. The co told the visitor that they could not bring in deodorant that has alcohol in it. The visitor started screaming and cussing and saying that it was bs and so on. The visitor in my opinion caused the problem with the co herself. Sure we all think that some of the rules are bogus. but never the less, they are rules and if we want to have a smooth visit then follow the rules. DUH lol - well thats about all i can add. as for the clothing thing. the only thing that i saw that was an issue was when people had to much medal on their jeans or had underwire bras on. when you have an underwire bra on. they have you remove it in the bathroom , put it in a bag, then they go through the detector, then they give you the bra back and you can put it back on befor you go in the visiting room. I chose to not wear an underwire bra so to save the time and hassle.

all in all, for me it was not a bad visit and went smooth, good luck to y ou all
2 years till my husband comes home
Without a doubt, going to Downstate to visit an inmate can be pleasant compared to a lot of other places. The entire prison is locked down. So, everything runs pretty smooth. The visiting conditions are basically the same in most state prisons. Downstate is a little more quiet. Because it is not a "GP" prison (General Population).
So, sure, you should not have a problem visiting an inmate at downstate. But, you have to remember...what goes on in the visiting room is very different from what is going on behind that steel door where the inmates are locked up in...trust me on this. The guards "might" be all smiles to the visitors. But, they are not all smiles to the inmates.
So, if you can't hold out the week or so and you want to visit your loved one...I say go for it.
It is the best feeling in the world when you are sitting in your very empty cell at Downstate and the guard tells you-you have a visit.

Everyone is different. I always preferred to wait till I was at my final destination to get visits. Because, every prison makes up their own set of rules as they go along in what you can and can't have, when you are coming from another prison.
But, visits are not all about bringing stuff to your loved one, it is about being there for them and that is worth more than anything.
However, my advice is always wait till he is in his final destination.

Either way...good luck to everyone that has a loved one in Downstate and in other prisons.

https://www.facebook.com/DAVENICENYC

Last edited by DAVE NYC; 05-09-2005 at 06:17 PM..
Old 05-09-2005, 06:37 PM

All I can say is "MAKE SURE YOU CALL THE NIGHT BEFORE," if you are visiting. Make sure he is still there.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:08 AM

Default New member Rikers Island to Downstate

Hello to all,

New member here. Grateful to have some support from those who have been here before. My husband was just transferred from Rikers Island to Downstate. I can visit on May 28, however they were very vague as to what I could bring on a visit since he is in reception waiting to see where he will be placed. They said no articles of clothing. What about like NA books or literature? Food? Is there a list posted anywhere before I go?
Old 05-20-2005, 12:54 PM
Ken's Loving Wife

Welcome! Go to the New York forum to look for specifics. If he is in reception there may be things you need to know and her might not be eligible to receive a package of any kind. Good luck, glad that you found your way to PTO.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:04 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunseeker143
Hello to all,

New member here. Grateful to have some support from those who have been here before. My husband was just transferred from Rikers Island to Downstate. I can visit on May 28, however they were very vague as to what I could bring on a visit since he is in reception waiting to see where he will be placed. They said no articles of clothing. What about like NA books or literature? Food? Is there a list posted anywhere before I go?
MY HUSBAND JUST GOT TRANSFERRED FROM DOWNSTATE TO ALTONA. YOU CAN BRING THEM A PACKAGE (NO MORE THAN 35LBS)A MONTH. EVERYTHING REALLY HAS TO BE DOUBLE SEALED. YOU CAN BRING THEM CHIPS, JUICE AND TUNA AND SOME OTHER THINGS WHEN YOU GET THERE REQUEST FOR THEM TO GIVE YOU THE LISTING. I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYBODY LEAVE BOOKS SO THAT I DONT KNOW. IT IS NOT REALLY MUCH CAUSE IT IS NOT LIKE UPSTATE. IF YOU NEED A VAN SERVICE LET ME KNOW. I'VE BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT, NOW I AM LOOKING FOR A BUS SERVICE TO VISIT MY HUBBY IN ALTONA ANY QUESTIONS I WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO ANSWER THEM

Last edited by SKITTLES524; 05-20-2005 at 06:07 PM..
Old 05-20-2005, 06:54 PM
Always Remembered

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,829 Times in 11,078 Posts

Be very careful to call the night before you plan to visit. Downstate turns them around really fast, and he may be gone by the time that theoretical visit time comes around on the calendar. And I wouldn't put together too big a package, either, because he'll be transferred out of there soon, and may lose everything in transit, at least for a time (just like the airlines - baggage gets there about the time you're ready to leave).
Old 05-20-2005, 07:05 PM
home since 8/06

Welcome!
DownState
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82960

Last edited by Manzanita; 12-21-2005 at 12:02 AM..
Old 05-26-2005, 10:11 AM

Default Visiting Downstate - What do I do?

I've only ever been to the tombs and Rikers before I don't really know the ropes for this one nor d I know what I can bring I hear we can bring electronics like cell phone and music to listen to on the way up... is this so?
can anyone suggest the best way to get to the facility from metronorth station in Beacon? I can't wait to see him but I'm totally nervous about going to this new place...
Old 05-26-2005, 12:16 PM
Ken's Loving Wife

I have never been to Downstate, but WELCOME to PTO! There is a thread in the New York Forum that can probably give you some specifics. Welcome!
Old 05-26-2005, 12:58 PM
Not active-find *********

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,374 Times in 3,006 Posts
Default go to the first page of the NY site

open the New York Prison Profiles--look for Downstate Reception bullett--there will be tons of info there--normally there are lockers you can put your stuff in before the visit--so if you bring music you can store it in there while you visit. At Elmira, another Reception Center, you can onnly bring in change for Vending machines (bring quarters, dimes and nickels do not count on them to have change and an unopened deck of cards.) Make sure you review the dress and id requirements for visits too. Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken'sWife
I have never been to Downstate, but WELCOME to PTO! There is a thread in the New York Forum that can probably give you some specifics. Welcome!

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."