Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > ELMIRA HUB PRISONS - NY DOC
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

ELMIRA HUB PRISONS - NY DOC New York Prisons located in the ELMIRA HUB - Butler, Auburn, Five Points, Cayuga, Willard, Monterey, Elmira, Southport.

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 10:15 PM

My guy did his reception in Elmira,then actually spent a few days in Ulster,which is also a Reception Center before being transferred to his CF. Reception facilities are always Max prisons. This is the first stop inmates make when entering into state custody and where their state bids commence.This is where the inmate has his pysch evaluation and also a medical check-up. His classification is decided ex: Maximum, Medium etc. once that is done then he will be assigned to a certain Hub and his housing will be chosen. State prisons are clustered in Hubs, for instance my man is currently in the (Watertown Hub) Riverview CF. All that's left then is getting on the draft and waiting for the ride-out (transfer) Inmates can have visits, can write while in reception,but keep in mind that their stay there is not long, it's just the first stop on the way to serving their sentence.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2004, 07:38 PM

Default reception

Has anyone been able to visit elmira while they were in reception, do u know how long you have to wait once they have been tehre, can you go everyday? thanks so much in advance, i hate calling there, they just want to hang up on you...
Old 09-27-2004, 07:46 PM

I believe you have to wait two weeks... yes you can go every day.... get there early by 930 or else you'll have to wait til noon. During the week you get to go to the regular visiting room its much nicer then the reception visiting room
Old 09-30-2004, 08:27 PM
Together we stand

I shopped at walmart in Central Square they boxed it for me and packaged it but just stamped it and I had to take it to the post office to mail it. I am not sure yet if my husband got it since I missed his call today. I only sent toiletries and writng things and cigs though no clothes. I hope he got it.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:50 AM

Default PLEASE help, does anyone know what could be taking so long???

me and a boy i know write to each other all the time, and i havent heard from him in 3 weeks. i checked the DOC page and saw that he got transferred from elmira to washington CF. what could be happening that would make him unable to write me? are they really busy doing stuff when they get transferred? i'm just worried! please help!
Old 10-01-2004, 11:58 AM
Wishing On A Star...

I'm not really sure, but he might not have been able to get to the store yet.

When my boyfriend was first transferred after reception, it took FOREVER for his commisary money to be transferred over from one facility to the other.

Plus when he got there, he had already missed store for that week and had to wait for the following week.

If this is the case, he might be having a tough time getting paper and stamps.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:18 AM

I think the Store's return address has to be on the package, unless he is allowed to recieve packages from home, which is 6 months after they have been there. My son is in Elmira reception. And I had the local Eckerd Pharmacy, ship the stuff out from there store. They charged $5.00 to take the box of stuff down to UPS plus the shipping for 2 - 20 lb. packages which was about $10.00 each. That way the stuff didn't come from me, since he wasn't allowed packages from home yet. Elmira Reception only allows packages from either online vendors or vendors for the 1st 6 months that they are there. And only packages weighing 20 lbs. or less each. The phone # 607-734-3901 for Elmira if you have any other questions. I called them several times about packages. Bless you all.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:47 PM
Together we stand

Thanks everyone. I did send him a package before the two weeks and he did get it. I am going to see him on Saturday I can't wait. I wanted to see him before they move him just in case it is farther away. We have been sending letters all along. I just got my first phone call today to. He called twice before but I wasn't home for either one. I was wondering about dress code, is there any and can I bring a food package with me? I know you said no bare shoulders but what if the belly is showing slightly and should I wear a skirt or pants?
Old 10-06-2004, 10:07 PM

If he is in reception sorry you can't bring any food to him. As for the dress code no belly showing at all. Skirts are good just not mini ones to be on the safe side...
Sam's girl
Old 10-07-2004, 07:46 AM

The skirt can be no shorter then 1 inch above the knee at Elmira. This is what is posted in their "dress code rules" on the wall in the processing center of visiting (main building.)
Old 10-10-2004, 04:04 PM
Missing Marty

HI all, my hubby is in the Elmira Reception. It isn't too bad but he wants moved soon to his medium facility. He has been in reception since august 2. He had a 2 week stint back in county for a hearing that didn't happen and wasn't needed if his public defender actually talked to that judge. he has been backin elmira for about 3 weeks but the ny doc is stated his arrival there still as aug 2.

Is it normal to be in reception for this long?

<!--END COUNTDOWN CODE--->
Old 10-12-2004, 11:35 AM
Together we stand

Hi everyone! My visit was great on Saturday. Thanks so much for all the information. I got there at 8 a.m. along with another woman so we were first in line, of course we were first to be terminated at 12:30 so others could go in, but it was great. I lined up at the far end of the building. He told me that they try and move the inmates to facilities near their homes, is that true? Thanks again everyone for all the info.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:18 PM

Default Reception centers

My son was in county jail in Elmira on tue. on wed morning he was transfered to Elmira Reception center. a little while later,same day, he was transfered to Downstate. Is this normal or weird. I haven't heard from him yet. the information I have is from a friend who works at Elmira as a CO. Any info would be helpful.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:59 PM
Believing in myself!!!

Question Elmira correctional facility?

Ok, I've been trying to find out anything I can about my first visit, which will be Saturday WOOOOO HOOOOOOOO! And I can find a few things on what's NOT allowed but I really can't find anything on what is allowed other than playing cards....... He is in Elmira reception right now if that helps...... all I know is I need help!!!! lol

Thanks everyone
Old 12-01-2004, 07:09 PM
Believing in myself!!!

Pictures and anything else we can do beside play cards........... is it inside or outside? Just little hints that might make me a little less nervous
Old 12-29-2004, 06:26 PM
home since 8/06

SoontobeNatesWife

Elmira reception:

My first visit was on a Saturday and when they are in reception and you visit on the weekend you have to go to the reception doors.. You don't need to get there 2 hours early.. its not really that packed in the mornings. No hoods, see-thru clothing.. the usual. You are then called in one by one to go thru processing. The metal detector is very weak so you do not need to take off your bra if it has an underwire. After you are processed you go thru one set of bars and then another. You hand your paper to the CO at the desk. He assigns you a table.. If you are there by yourself chances are you are going to be seated at a table across from the inmate. If you go with someone else, you will be seated at a round table and will be able to sit next to the inmate. The vending machines are in the room, but I'm sure you know the inmate can not go to use them. The bathrooms there are DISGUSTING. They smell and everytime I was there IF there was any toilet paper, it was soaking wet. It really was nasty. At 2:30, they tell you that you have 15 minutes left of the VI. At 2:40, they tell you to say your good-byes at the table and you have 5 minutes left. As for the vending machines.. I was not happy.. My fiance wanted chicken wings and when I bought him some they were spoiled.. And they were spoiled the next weekend as well.. Not just his, other inmates as well.. Also, no pictures are taken in the reception visiting room.. And I was told that you could not where heels in the visit, and I did.. They will not say anything.. But overall the COs don't really bother you and they just let you have your time with your loved one without getting "in the way!" .... As for VIs during the week when the inmate is in reception.. You do have to go into the regular VI section of the building. My first time I got there at around 8:55 (visits start at 9) and I thought I was going to be late, but I was the 1st person there... This metal detector is stronger and you will have to take off your bra (if it has an underwire) and put it in a paper bag. You will be able to put it back on when you get upstairs. If you were Tims you will have to take those off as well so they can inspect them. Some jewelry and some belts also make it go off. Once you are done there, you go up about 4 flights of stairs and open a door. You give the CO in the "box" your paper and go thru a set of bars. You give the CO at the desk your paper and he/she assigns you a table. These tables are better because you can actually sit right next to your loved one. I found that the male COs that are there during the VI give you a harder time. I had my head rested on my fiances shoulder , but our hands were on the table and we were facing forwards, and he came over and said we were getting too "comfortable" and made me move my head. The woman CO did not pay any attention to us, and was extremely nice to both my fiance and I. The vending machines are in a different room, and the inmate can not go in there. Pictures are usually done between 12 and 1:30 pm and NOT done everyday. The inmate that does the pictures may come and he may not. So your best bet is to wait until later in the visit to get picture tickets. The VIs on this side actually run until 3:00 not 2:45... If anyone has any questions please PM me and I will be happy to give you some information!!

Last edited by Manzanita; 12-29-2004 at 08:47 PM..
Old 01-31-2005, 02:06 PM
Not active-find *********

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,378 Times in 3,006 Posts
Default thanks for all the info--now another ?

can I put money on account for my son while he is in Elmira Reception? How do you do that?
Old 02-17-2005, 02:05 PM
missin my sweetie

As far as I know, you can only send a money order, and it has to have the inmates id number (or whatever it is called on it). I believe you just send it to the same address you would send mail to, which is...Elmira Correctional Facility. PO Box 500, Elmira, NY 14902.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:23 PM
Home since 9/29/05! Yes!!

yeah.

a M.O. should work. but like she said above - have the name and din # on the actual money order. MAKE SURE YOU KEEP YOUR RECEIPT FROM THE ORDER!!
Old 02-21-2005, 07:14 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Default re: money order to Elmira

who is the m.o. made payavble to? and is there a limit on how much it can be for $$?
Old 02-21-2005, 08:12 AM
&amp;quot;WANTED&amp;quot; Justice For All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneies
who is the m.o. made payavble to? and is there a limit on how much it can be for $$?
My son just went to reception feb 10th. at Elmira I called and they said there is no limit on the amount but must have his din # on the money order and have it wrote out to him.
This is what we've done but there not getting mail because of the lock down. This is what I was told. My son has been able to write us but he is not getting any of our mail- due to the lock down-

They said to me on the phone that when it is lifted they will get it all

We don't know if that means comassary- Can't spell
Wish You good luck
Christophers' Mom
Old 02-22-2005, 01:07 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Default thank you Chris' Mom

I also posted a message saying I wll be happy to give you a ride if our son's time overlaps-he will go on March 11--I will post a message when I can go for a visit in case we can hook up-
Old 03-01-2005, 08:13 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Default what to wear/bring when taken into custody

my son will be sentende and taken into custody (supposedly headed for Elmira) on March 11. Is there anything he should take with him--or do they just take everything away?
Old 03-01-2005, 08:29 AM

Hi; Im Also A Mom Of A Prisioner Currently In Washington Correctional And He Went In Only With The Clothes On His Back. If He Takes Anything With Him It Will Be Taken Away And Held. I Even Think They Give Them Prision Outfits And Take Away Their Street Clothes Except For Shoes And Socks Of Course.

Sheri
Old 03-01-2005, 10:03 AM
&amp;quot;WANTED&amp;quot; Justice For All!

Default a list my son sent me from Elmira

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneies
my son will be sentende and taken into custody (supposedly headed for Elmira) on March 11. Is there anything he should take with him--or do they just take everything away?
he says Mom,
We don't get sweatsuits. they gave us six each pants and shirts dark green.and boxers. boots, shoes, sweatshirts and a coat. No mention of socks.
Thought maybe this will help!

Christophers' Mom
Closed Thread