Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > ELMIRA HUB PRISONS - NY DOC
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

ELMIRA HUB PRISONS - NY DOC New York Prisons located in the ELMIRA HUB - Butler, Auburn, Five Points, Cayuga, Willard, Monterey, Elmira, Southport.

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 10:28 AM
"WANTED" Justice For All!

Anyone have any idea on how long it takes to get money put into your inmates accounts?
We sent out a money order 7 days ago. Just called and nothing yet.

Christophers' Mom
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2005, 05:38 PM

Default I am GeeGee in Buffalo

Hi to all the members. I have viewed this site quite a few times and am grateful for the information I can find and send to my husband. He is in County right now, moving to reception in Elmira in a few days. He will be going to Gowanda for DWI program. He has 1-3 yrs. for repeat DWI (felony) and also a retainer from skipping out on parole in Texas. I know a lot more about the Texas (mostly Huntsville) prison system than I do the NY one, even though I am from NY (Buffalo). I certainly am learning a great deal on here though!
Old 03-13-2005, 06:00 PM

HI AND WELCOME TO PTO. I AM IN UPSTATE NY.

Finally...2008!!
Old 03-13-2005, 06:04 PM
Till It's Over

Hi and Welcome to PTO!!!!!
Old 03-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

Welcome to PTO.
Live as if you'll die today
~James Dean~
Old 03-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,649 Posts

Welcome to PTO!

Old 03-17-2005, 09:05 PM
home since 8/06

Welcome and Good luck to you both, stick around !
Old 03-17-2005, 09:13 PM
"WANTED" Justice For All!

Hi and Welcome.
I do want you to know alittle about Elmira "RECEPTION" If this is where he is going PLEASE let me know. edited due to content And no way believe what they tell you by phone! Trust me! Packages and mail Delayed and so forth....PLEASE feel Free to pm me if you would like to know more of my/our exp.

Sincerely,
Christophers"Mom

NEVER FORGET THEM!

Last edited by Manzanita; 03-17-2005 at 09:46 PM..
Old 04-01-2005, 11:26 AM
Not active-find *********

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,378 Times in 3,006 Posts
Default just got a letter from my son

he left the holding center on Monday--they took him to Wende until Wed. when they moved him to Elmira--why-who knows--I know they have an overcrowding situation in the holding center--maybe that's why the interim stop at Wende.

As everyone said, Wende and Elmira were both better than county. He got headphones and could listen tothe radio--which is huge for him. There was almost nothing to do at county.

He was able to call me --but I missed it, so I hope we can hook up this weekend.

I did talk to guidance and they sauid I visit on 4/13--two weeks--and send him books too after that day. That will help him pass time-

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
Old 04-04-2005, 10:06 AM
Not active-find *********

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,378 Times in 3,006 Posts
Default more info on Elmira RECEPTION

my son called Saturday night--right now--in the reception block--he can only call on Saturdays--he called about 7PM. He has been told that he will move out of the reception block into a cell area after about one week. He will then have more phone access. He did not know about packages--so I am calling. I am mostly concerned about when he can get his 1st package--the contents I know about.

Also re: commissary: on the reception side (as opposed to the regular side) their commissary is on Mondays every two weeks--therefore it is imperative if you are sending a money order to get it there asap or they can miss commissary and have to wait 2 more weeks. They can only spend $55 on food every 2 weeks--but they can buy postage (14.50 every two weeks) and other non-food things. He has been told he can buy a TV-we will see. they do give them a few envelops and paper with psotage when they get there. They also get one call when they arrive--but if you miss it--they have to wait till Saturday. They get recreation 2 hours on Saturdays and Sundays--he says they are in lockdown most of the time. If you have a person going there--send along their GED certificate or their HS diploma--or they force them to take classes until they receive verification.

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
Old 05-29-2005, 10:25 AM

Default question about reception, mail

I'm brand new here and this info has been invaluable..thanks everyone. I was trying to find my man's DIN #, he just got transferred from county 2 days ago and it wasn't on the DOC website yet. All I did was call Elmira and asked and got it right away. I wouldn't have known what to do without PTO. So don't give up and feel like you just have to wait to hear something, just call there. I want to send him money and letters asap.
I still have questions though, maybe someone can help.... can I send cards too? Also, there is an order of protection, so he can't contact me, but if I have a PO box and he uses a different name, (other than mine) could he still get in trouble? I don't have anyone I can ask to get his mail to forward to me. I'm going to try to get the order dropped because I heard that would increase his chances of getting into Shock. Anyone done anything like that?

Thanks again all....and God bless you and yours.

Last edited by LilDebb; 05-29-2005 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: oops..not done yet
Old 07-06-2005, 10:37 AM

Exclamation This is the first time for us.

This is the first time for us. There is so much info, but not enough. I'm so confused.
Our son has been taken to Elmira Correctional, they have taken all of his commisary money and he wants us to send or bring him the things he needs when we visit for the first time. I'm confused! What can we take him if we visist? The facility is telling me not to vendor anything because he won't be there that long. He's already been there over the 14 days. What do I do? I have read through all the info on the site and am still mixed up. Thanks for any and all help, info I can get. Hop I did this post right!
Old 07-08-2005, 05:39 AM
home since 8/06

lil deb, sorry this is late.
yes you can send cards. but I am not sure about your other questions, sorry.
good luck
Old 07-12-2005, 05:34 AM
home since 8/06

Quote:
from anneies
first take a deep breath

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elmira Reception help?
I was you about 4 months ago and nothing helped me more than the wonderful people on this site. First: go into New York Prison Profiles at the top of the message board--find the post for Elmira Reception. Link: http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97952 Many of your questions will be answered there.the newer stuff is at the end of the pages--look for my recent posts.

A couple of answers:

1. They cannot take all his commissary money--only 1/2 and only if he owes court fees. You must send in a money order payable to him with his DIN on it.
2. You CANNOT bring packages when you visit. You cannot send him packages from your self till he is in the system 6 months.You can send packages from vendors but there are restrictions on what you can send. These are also posted on the Elmira Reception info. If you go to visit him at Elmira (which you can do after he is there 14 days), you can go to the Wegman's in town and they will send the package to him at the prison. You must tell them the stuff is for the prison when you check out. They charge 10.55 to send it. The packages go out from the store on Monday--package day is usually Sunday for those in Reception. The store is also helpful in telling you what the facility will not take.
3. Try to visit, if you can, on a weekday. The visiting room and the guards are much nicer.
4. If he is going to Shock Camp, he will move out of there quickly--otherwise he is probably going to be there for 2 months at least. They try to discourage packages--even from vendors-because it makes them work. If you do not want to do the Wegman's route--there is another thread that has vendors listed--I have used netgrocer.com, upnorthservices.com --but be aware of the package rules since they are stricter in reception.

PM me if you need more info(see button below which says send PM).

This is a letter my son wrote for another kid starting his time.This is our first time in the system as well.
Prsion Life is not as bad as you think, It sucks-but it could be a lot worse-I expected a lot worse. For the most part nothing is like what you have seen on TV. And things get better as time goes by. County jail will be the worst; Reception will be a little better then, when you finally get to your final facility you start to adjust. I've been told that it takes about 6 months to adjust. Well, I have been here about 3 months and feel I am adjusted. If you accept prison as your home and forget about how you used to live it will be a lot easier. There is no sense in wishing you weren't in prison-even though you will. Sh*! in one hand and wish in the other and see which one gets filled up first.

Once you have accepted prison as your home for the time being, you have to find ways to pass the time. One of the best ways to pass the time is to forget time exists. Don't worry about what time it is or what date it is-that will only make time go by slower.You also have to find ways to keep your mind busy. There are lotsa of ways to do that-reading, writing letters, watching TV, puzzles, cards, listening to music, drawing pictures and other things. Before you know it, you will have too much stuff to do.

When dealing with other inmates, just remember none of them are your friends. NONE of THEM! Some of them will seem like nice, helpful guys, but they are not. Everyone wants something (cigarettes, stamps, addresses, food etc.) from you.Don't accept anything from anybody. There is no such thing as a gift in prison. No matter how much you want or need something, my advice is don't take it. I've been offered everything from cigarettes to shoes. Everything has a price eventually. If someone tries to give you something because they say they don't want it, tell them you don't want it either. People will try to force you to be in their debt.

Also, do not let anyone scare you. If they know you are scared, they will feed off that. A good example, I just bought a black lighter. The guy in the cell next to me was complaining he had a purple lighter and he hated it. He wanted to swap. I told him I wanted to look at his lighter first. Of course, it was 1/2 empty. When I said I didn't want to trade, he got mad and kept saying you don't know how mad you made me etc. I ignored him--I think he was trying to scare me into giving him my lighter. He left me alone--they are just testing you. If people start talking sh@# ignore them--don't answer back or you will start a fight.If people realize that can't scare you and they can't intimidate you, they will leave me alone. I keep to myself.

If somebody tries to take something from you (has not happened to me), it is better to fight than let them take it. Even if you lose the fight, you gain respect. Not that different from standing up to a bully in the neighborhood. Inmates want to find guys they can rob who won't fight back. Once you fight back, you will be off their list.And if you act like you will fight, he will know you will both end up in trouble--and very few guys want that. They want to find the easy marks. But if it comes to fighting-fight. One ass whooping is better than living in fear. Once you fight, you will be left alone. But this has not happened to me--just advice if it does.

Rape is a thing of the past. There are enough guys in here willing to have sex with other guys--so no one has to rape anybody. Don't listen to what people tell you- they are trying to scare you. The don't drop the soap in the shower thing is pretty much a myth. If you wrap your soap in your washcloth, you won't drop it anyway. And in my final prison, we shower alone. In reception you shower together, but the guys wear their boxers in the shower--washes the boxers at the same time! And do not hang out with the gays. Don't worry, you will know who they are.

Do not tell on anyone unless you really feel your life is threatened. You do not want to be labelled a snitch.

If things were to get very bad, and I do not think this will happen, but know you can request protective custody. But do not do that unless you feel you have no other choice. If you stick to yourself and don't owe people or start problems with them, you will be fine.
anneies
Old 07-12-2005, 06:04 AM
In a good place!
Donation Award 

Welcome to PTO!!
Old 07-19-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Just Got Back From Elmira

HELLO EVERYONE. I JUST GOT BACK FROM SEEING MY BABY IN ELMIRA RECEPTION. I PLANNED TO GO FOR 3 DAYS BUT ENDED UP STAYING A WEEK. IT WAS WONDERFUL TO BE ABLE TO SPEND TIME WITH MY MAN. THE VISITS WERE OKAY, THE C.O. LADY ON THE VISITS MADE ME CHANGE OUT OF MY WHITE CAPRIS ON THE FIRST DAY BECAUSE THEY WERE TOO SEE THRU, AND THE 2ND DAY I HAD TO HEAR A MILLION TIMES THAT MY STOMECH WAS SHOWING TOO MUCH, ALTHOUGH MY SHIRT TOTALLY COVERED IT. OH WELL THOUGH....WE PLAYED CARDS AND SCRABBLE AND HELD HANDS ALL DAY EVERYDAY, AND I GOT TO FET LOTS OF HUGS AND KISSES...WE STAYED IN THE BUDGET INN THE FIRST NIGHT FOR 65 DOLLARS, THEN AT THE HOLIDAY INN FOR 100.....THEN FINALLY FOUND THE MARK TWAIN MOTOR INN FOR 35 SO WE STAYED THERE THE REMAINDER OF THE TIME. I JUST WANTED TO EXPRESS MY JOY WITH YOU ALL, AS THIS WEBSITE WAS VERY INFORMATIVE AND HELPED OUT A WHOLE LOT....I AM TAKING THE 41/2 HOUR TRIP AGAIN THIS WEEKEND CUZ I MISS MY MAN ALRAEDY. MUCH LOVE TO ALL
Old 07-19-2005, 03:45 PM

I am glad u had a good visit!!!
Old 07-19-2005, 03:59 PM
Ken's Loving Wife

If you tell the Mark Twain and other hotels in the area that you are visiting the facility they usually give you a discount. I am glad that you had such a wonderful time! By the way, WELCOME to PTO!
Old 07-19-2005, 04:16 PM
Strength

Default Congratulations

To echo everyone else, it's nice to hear that you had a good visit. I eny you though. You got to stay with your boo for a whole week. I live in NYC and i don't have the resources to stay that long. Anyways, i hope your visits are just as good from now on.
As of a year ago I am no longer involved with the fool who led me to finding this forum. I do however appreciate the advice that I found here, this is a great resource for those who need it! ATTN Admins/Mods, please DELETE my Account if possible...Thank You.

Old 07-19-2005, 04:40 PM
home since 8/06

Welcome This is so nice
Old 07-19-2005, 04:52 PM

If its the same lady I think it is, she gives me hard time as well! On a good note, I'm glad you enjoyed yaself....being able to spend time with ya man is a blessing. Ill be there Thursday if everything goes as planned. Do you visit often?

Bless,
B.G
Old 08-02-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Elmira Reception ..I am new here

Hello everyone! I just wanted to say that I've observed PTO and it's wonderful.Everyone is soo nice and supportive. My boyfriend is in Elmira and he'll be out in 29 months. Please keep him in your prayers.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

Welcome to PTO.
Live as if you'll die today
~James Dean~
Old 08-02-2005, 12:14 PM
Miss'n my brother!

Welcome to PTO!

Old 08-02-2005, 02:11 PM

Peace...Sending you a warm welcome to PTO...join us in the NY forums as well as in the others! Blessings...
Closed Thread