Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, halfway houses, community service and electronic monitoring in Pennsylvania should be posted here.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:01 PM
...over easy
Donation Award 

Default Have questions about Parole in Pennsylvania? Check here first!

The PA Parolee Handbook [which should answer most questions about parole in PA] can be accessed by clicking here!!!

In general the PA Parole and Probation website has a plethora of good information--click here to access their website.

ERacism

...if i know anything at all,
it's that a wall is just a wall
and nothing more at all,
it can be broken down.

---assata shakur
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2006, 12:37 AM

Thank you. I really have no idea what a thread is but, would love to be able to chat soon. I guess 25 threads is not that bad. Besides I am learning alot already.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:51 AM
GRATEFUL PTO MOTHER
Donation Award 

Default How Do We Find Out Where To Write Parole Board And....

Hi, Folks

This website is great and the knowledge and support given by everyone is not only invaluable but uplifting, as many of you already know!!!

Son's incarcerated at SCI ROCKVIEW is coming up for parole in Nov 2007. We are trying to prepare Home Plan, etc., but need some help re: Where do we find out who his Parole person(s) is/are, their telephone number and addresss?

Since he is from NJ, when he does his Home Plan, is there anything special he has to put in it about the Interstate Compact Agreement or will he be paroled in PA first, sent to Halfway House (?) and then processed from there?

Any concrete advice you can give is sincerely appreciated by both of us.

HAVE A GREAT FOURTH OF JULY!!!
Old 06-29-2007, 01:12 PM

Don't bet the house on this but it is my understanding that if you are out of state you don't have to do the halfway house thing first that they parole you to your state. I had a friend who had a job and everything set up in Virginia and instead of making him go to a halfway house they just paroled him to VA.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:50 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,322 Times in 1,276 Posts

I have a friend who had the exact opposite experience.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:19 AM

my son is up for parole in march how long does it take from his parole hearing until his release ? he is in a pa state prison and we live in pa other end of state. he said he might not get out until april or may seems a long time from march his csi is backing him for parole, is their anything i can do to help him with parole we are praying, he comes home. thank you for any information its been a long haul

Last edited by ANGELGURL; 01-20-2008 at 12:20 AM..
Old 01-20-2008, 08:06 PM
...over easy
Donation Award 

Parole hearings and decisions are slow going in PA. He should have a hearing soon and then will have to wait for quite a while until he finds out their decision, as in 4-8 weeks wait! He needs to have a home plan in place [he should have talked w/you about this already if he is planning on living w/you b/c he would have to put this into his parole package that gets reviewed by the PB members who are reviewing his case].
You could write a letter of support but to be honest, his file is probably complete and your letter is not likely to find itself into his file in time. But you can try...you may want to discuss this w/your son and see if you should send such a letter to his parole counselor or to the central office in Harrisburg.
Good luck to him!!!

ERacism

and nothing more at all,
it can be broken down.

---assata shakur
Old 07-05-2008, 07:46 AM
GRATEFUL PTO MOTHER
Donation Award 

Default Nj Resident Incarcerated In Pa..up For Parole..

Hi, Elaine

Finally, my son has come up for parole in PA and has recd green sheet with the following:
1. Attend Outpatient SO treatment;
2. Do not enter establishments that serve or sell alcohol
3. No contact with victim or victim's family
4. Maintain employment
5. Obey Rules of SO treatment Program
6. Sex Offender Supervisory protocol applies
7. Pay monthly supervisory fees as determined by Parole staff

Q. Do you know what 6 and 7 mean, Supervisor protocol?

Q. What state's Parole Rules apply when someone is sent from PA to NJ via Interstate Compact?

As always, thanks for all your help!!!
Old 07-05-2008, 08:10 AM
PrOpErTy Of MiChAeL

Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,607 Posts

I am not mpositive about #6 but I believe it means that he must register as an SO.
#7 Means there is a monthly fee that one must pay when they are on Parole. I believe my husbands fee was $35.00 a month plus the cost of his urine tests.
I believe that he must comply with both states parole rules, but what is on his green sheet must be followed.
My husband and I had looked into moving once he is released from prison while he is still on parole, and from what we had learned the parole rules of both states apply. It is just that NJ will agree to go by what Pennsylvania has on his green sheet also.

"What a long, strange trip it's been"

Old 07-06-2008, 07:58 PM
...over easy
Donation Award 

Different rules apply for those who are identified as sex offenders--the protocol may depend on your son's sexual offense classification. You may find something about this protocol on the PA Parole website. I'm guessing a tighter lease is applied [figuratively speaking]. This may have been covered before; but did you get clarified as to whether either PA and/or NJ would accept a parolee moving to the other state if convicted of a sexual offense via interstate compact?

ERacism

and nothing more at all,
it can be broken down.

---assata shakur
Old 02-25-2009, 06:29 PM

Ok now I have a question. My fiance just had a pre parole hearing at SCI pittsburgh. His minimum sentence is up in June . The lady at the interview told him he would have his parole hearing in 2-3 weeks from then. This was 2 weeks ago ( at Pittsburgh). He submitted all his letters of support and everything for his parole packet at that time. We'll yesterday he was just transferred to SCI Chester . How is that transfer going to affect his parole hearing? What about all his letters he submitted while in Pittsburgh? Will his packet follow him or what? Will his hearing be delayed because of the move? Also . We live in WV and he has to go through the interstate compact. The counselor and IPP in pittsburgh both told him that he does not submitt a home plan until he has his green sheet. But Eggs, you just said he has to have a home plan in place to be granted parole. Was he given the wrong information at Pittsburgh? I am really confused and the counselors wont tell me much when I call . I don't know whats going on now with his parole. They are telling him that the interstate compact doesn't take long but from what I can gather it takes 3-6 months. He can only do what they allow him to do there and I can do nothing. Any info is appreciated about this. THanks guys.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:01 PM

PTO Moderator 

His parole file follows him to the new location, and he should be on the Board's docket regardless of the transfer. They should be able to see him at Chester the next time they are there. He should make sure his new counselor knows this, and it wouldn't hurt to send a request slip to the institutional parole agent as well.

Meanwhile, the interstate home plan does take extra time. They allow six months because so much has to go back and forth between the two states ... all of it on paper.

Clearly, the transfer came at a less than opportune moment, but it shouldn't create much of a delay.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:18 PM

I have a question. My fiancee is right now at SCI Camp Hill. He was sentenced to 1-2yrs which 63 days served which is only 10 months of time to do. Now it was been 2 months I know things run very slow in Pa but when does he start workin on his parole packert?

~Love never fails~
* Heather&Johnathan *
Est. 3-5-08
Old 04-01-2009, 08:01 PM

We started working on my husbands parole packet about 6 months before his parole hearing ( which was 4 months before his minimum date)
Old 10-04-2009, 10:02 PM

any one know about parole violators
Old 10-05-2009, 05:35 PM
...over easy
Donation Award 

What do you need to know? The PA Parole website has a link that provides info. about parole violators [those who have absconded/gone missing].
http://www.pbpp.state.pa.us/absconde....asp?pbppNav=|

ERacism

and nothing more at all,
it can be broken down.

---assata shakur
Old 12-05-2009, 07:16 AM
WAITING PATIENTLY

ok not sure about this my boyfriend just went to his violation hearing they took away his street time and revoc his parole the court document reads on the web committe to serve balance of his unexpired term what does that mean ?? he got imm. work release and his po is telling him get a job and i'll let you out
Old 12-29-2009, 05:31 PM

My nephew, incarcerated at Coal Township, received a 3 to 6 year sentence as a non-violent offender. This comming May he will have completed serving 2 years. Yet, the prison administration is now suddenly telling him there may be a problem with his release concerning his juvenile record from 1983, which has absolutely nothing to do with his currectly being locked up. However, he seems to understand there is an early release that may be available and he has already submitted paperwork to be circulated to the DA and judge to sigh off if they find he has not been a prisoner problem since his conviction. My nephew believes he may soon be released (within 2 to 4 months). This would mean he would be out without completing his minimum. Are they just toying with his mind and his hopes. Does anyone have a definitive and current early release policy that is put out by authority?
Old 12-29-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCrip View Post
My nephew, incarcerated at Coal Township, received a 3 to 6 year sentence as a non-violent offender. This comming May he will have completed serving 2 years. Yet, the prison administration is now suddenly telling him there may be a problem with his release concerning his juvenile record from 1983, which has absolutely nothing to do with his currectly being locked up. However, he seems to understand there is an early release that may be available and he has already submitted paperwork to be circulated to the DA and judge to sigh off if they find he has not been a prisoner problem since his conviction. My nephew believes he may soon be released (within 2 to 4 months). This would mean he would be out without completing his minimum. Are they just toying with his mind and his hopes. Does anyone have a definitive and current early release policy that is put out by authority?
Check this thread. http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204190
Old 01-17-2010, 04:40 PM

Default Help me please!!!!!

MY BOYFRIEND HAS SEEN THE PAROLE BOARD ALREADY. HE SAW THEM ON DECEMBER 29, 2009. HE SAID THAT HE IS WAITING FOR HIS GREEN SHEET TO COME BACK AND HE FEELS THAT HE WAS GRANTED PAROLE BECAUSE THEY ASKED HIM IF HE HAD A HOME PLAN, AND HE SAID YES, THEY ALSO ASKED HIM IF HE HAD A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF MONEY ON HIS BOOKS FOR A TICKET TO GET TO WHERE HE WAS GOING. SHOULD I BE EXCITED ABOUT THAT? THIS IS MY FIRST TIME GOING THROUGH THIS AND I AM NERVOUS. HE WAS GRANTED PAROLE BEFORE IN AUGUST, AND THEY SAID THAT HE COULDNT GO BECAUSE THERE WERE 2 PROGRAMS THAT HE HAD TO COMPLETE, COME TO FIND OUT HE HAD ALREADY COMPLETED THE PROGRAMS AND HAS HAD EVERYTHING COMPLETED FOR OVER A YEAR! WHAT SHOULD I DO? I AM SOOO LOST BECAUSE WHEN I CALL TO THE PRISON THEY WONT TELL ME ANYTHING BECAUSE I AM NOT HIS WIFE NOR IMMEDIATE FAMILY! HELP ME SOMEONE! PLEASE
Old 01-17-2010, 08:00 PM
...over easy
Donation Award 

4-6 weeks to wait for a parole decision is not uncommon. Prison won't tell you anything b/c parole is not their domain. You would need to contact Parole in Harrisburg.

ERacism

and nothing more at all,
it can be broken down.

---assata shakur
Old 01-18-2010, 07:17 PM

Thanks egs.. With them telling him all that information is that a postitive thing? He was told that they tell them that information when they are letting you go! I sure hope so
Old 01-21-2010, 08:38 PM

PTO Moderator 

It appears to be positive, but you should always brace yourself for the unexpected. While it's true that they ask about a home plan as a consideration for parole, they can ask that question anytime they want. Ditto with the money question, although that's the DOC's concern more than Parole's.

Where I think you have reason to be optimistic is that he has completed all his programs and appears to have been on the doorstep last time.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:58 PM

Thanked 1,142 Times in 620 Posts

i found NOTHING of use in the parole handbook web site, except - in PA a sex offender is a piece of sht and might be allowed to quietly beg for parole after his 26-year MIN. why don't they just be humane and "put him down" instead of making us pay what, $40,000 per year to keep him alive in jail? don't get me wrong, i love him dearly, but it all seems so unfair. it would make more sense to just tattoo SO on his face & let him go. sorry, i'm just a LITTLE annonyed!
Old 02-27-2010, 02:11 PM

PTO Moderator 

My advice to anyone with a lot of time ahead of him would be to wait and see what happens with the system. A lot can change in five or ten years.