Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, halfway houses, community service and electronic monitoring in Pennsylvania should be posted here.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:08 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,292 Times in 1,263 Posts

Okay, this is going off-topic from your original post. normally, we should open a new thread, but if we keep this brief, we'll keep it here. (I can create a new thread and move the discussion later.)

First, the Board's green sheets are simply too wordy, and we're not sure why. It sounds like they denied parole and will review his case once the DOC certifies that he has completed the programs. I think they avoid the word "denied" so that they can play with their statistics.

Second, any "affidavit" in the case had to exist in the court records, in which case your husband has a right to see them. (They could be redacted to delete any victim information.) These would be best obtained through his attorney, although anyone can go to the Courthouse and pay for copies of a record.

The only other input at this late date would have come up through the courts upon query by the PBPP. The Board asks the sentencing court for input. The court, in turn, hands it off to the prosecutor, who usually hands it off to the registered victim(s). The board also queries the Office of the Victim Advocate to see if any Victims are registered as wanting to provide input. So, unless the officer was the victim of the crime (and I don't mean a crime of resisting arrest,) I can't see how a police officer would be able to submit a statement at this point.

I agree that one cannot sincerely apologize and express remorse for something he hasn't done -- nor should anyone expect him to. And yet, I hear far too many stories from inmates related to this "lack of remorse" in relation to acts they didn't commit. Sometimes, the inmate has a colorful history of acts for which he was never sentenced, and the Board is looking for remorse for the entire "lifestyle," which is reasonable. And sometimes the inmates insists on addressing only those allegations for which he was ultimately convicted -- which, in a plea bargain, might be far less than actually happened. However, since you have been involved in the process since the night it began, (sort of an ongoing eyewitness,) I take your word that the Board interviewer was referring to acts which did not happen. In that case, your husband needs to a) get the "record" corrected by obtaining proper documents, b) "own up" to these acts as best he can and bite his lip, or c) hope the Board doesn't bring them up again.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:09 PM

Thank you Bobble! I have read your responses for a few years now and you have always been spot on with what I was researching. I am new as a member and apologize for not having this in the correct place. I do have every single document pertaining to this case. We do believe that the "affidavit" she had did come from the officer as him being the victim and that it was not an original court document. There was a phrase she read from that paper that is the same phrase the officer used the night of the arrest to me that was never in any document nor in any signed witness statements. Now three years later that same phrase is used and things in original and ammended police report were changed. Either he forgot and miswrote or tried to make it look worse than he originally made it be. How does my husband obtain this paper? We are also trying to figure out how to get transcripts of the parole hearing. I found info on every other state except PA.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:51 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,292 Times in 1,263 Posts

1. This sounds like it has been introduced as a Victim Impact Statement rather than an affidavit in the original case. Victim Impact Statements are classified and never released to the inmate. They are also not open under the Right-To-Know laws.

2. Board hearings are not recorded. no transcripts will be made.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:11 AM

I have a question if my SO was sentenced 20 to 40 yrs in state prison what is the absolute minimum he'll have to do before he can see the parole board?? Please help, he was 18 when the crime was committed and 21 when he went in for good. His codefendents got 10 yrs and less than 5 yrs. One is out already and the other is coming home this year.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:54 AM

alannarenee1988: First of all welcome to the forum (our family).

If he was sentenced to 20 to 40 years the sentencing structure for Penn is then 20 years minimum (absolute minimum he has to serve before he can even see the board - or have any chance of parole) and 40 years maximum (whereby he must be released by this date).

Ages don't really matter. When you say he "went in for good" means nothing to us as far as dates. What I mean by this is we don't know how much time he may have spent from the moment of his arrest (original incarceration) to the time he may have been released on bail (if that was the case) etc. Normally any time spent in jail after arrest, during trial and up to sentencing (minus any time he may have been on bail) will count towards the time of 20 to 40 years. Most times the judge will grant what the courts call "credit for time served". This means the time he spent locked up will count towards the amount of time he is to serve.

You can look up his docket sheet and see if it is in there. Sometimes the sheets take a week or so to be updated. You can find his docket sheet HERE. This may help you determine the approximate date he can be up for parole. Also, he will have been given a "Sentence Summary Sheet" when he went into the state system. This will have his correct dates of his minimum and maximum sentence calculated and deducting for any time served.

I would suggest that if you have further questions about the parole process etc that you start your own thread (post) instead of continuing in this "sticky" as it will just be confusing to others that are trying to help as to what answers go to what questions etc.

Again, welcome to the family.