Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, halfway houses, community service and electronic monitoring in Pennsylvania should be posted here.

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypbaby View Post
what is post release????
Post release is when the inmate is well past his minimum, usually a level 2 with outside-the-fence clearance, and parole has been denied. The institution/DOC disagrees with the decision of the parole board, and sends the inmate to a level one facility (CCC/ halfway house). My son was told by Graterford that if he had not made parole when he finally did, that they would be giving him post-release.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:37 PM

Default Pre Release- I need help

My husband was in state prison for three years. He was then handed to the Feds to complete another sentence. In Feds he was sentenced 2 years 7 months. He begin July 1, 2009. He just called me and told me he was moved to pre-release. Can someone please explain how? why? what exactly might this mean? Thanks
Old 01-17-2010, 07:56 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,264 Posts

The feds use an entirely different system and terminology. Strictly speaking, "pre-release" in PA also includes clearance to work outside the perimeter fence (CL 2R and 2MC). It may be that the Fed is doing the same with your husband.

You may want to check the Federal forum for more info on this.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:09 PM

Hello,
I am new to this forum. My son was just placed in Camphill on Tuesday.
I was wondering if anyone is from the Blair county area. Are justice system
has much to be desired. I am considering starting some type of group, opposing the underhanded way in which Blair county criminal justice system does their dirty work.
I have alot of factual information and many ideas to help state this case.
But i can not do it alone.Anyone from the Blair county area, that feels the same way i do,please email me.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:10 PM

Hello,
My son was sentenced to a term of 3 to 6 years, for 2 drug sale charges.
He signed a plea agreement accepting the charges and the prison time. Because the
DA offered him the chance to get out of jail for 5 days, in exchange for signing the plea agreement. I pleaded with him not to take the plea. One of the reasons being i knew he had no intention of reporting back to the prison,after the 5 days was up.
As his mother i was very afraid of what the outcome would be if he did abscond.
I even called his attorney and begged himt discourage tony from accepting the plea.
The attorney told me that if Tony wanted to accept the plea, it was his decision, not mine. I even called the DA,s office. I really feel he was being set up for a fall.
To make a long story short, he did abscond. Only to be caught 9 months later.
He was charged with absconding. And was sentenced to 1 to 2 years for that charge. The DA would not run the sentence concurrent, nor would he approve the triple RR program.My heart is broken, and i am devastated.
As a mother this is one of the hardest things i have every had to go through.
My question is being that he has 2 different sentences, will he still be able to get pre release. and how would it be determined based on the 2 different sentences.
I would greatly appreciate any information you could give me.

THANKS SO MUCH, Tony,s Mom
Old 02-27-2010, 02:09 PM

PTO Moderator 

First, he has to wait to see how the DOC interprets his combined sentences. It is they, not the court, that determine the aggreagte sentence from its many parts.

Whatever their determination, he then makes his pre-release computations from their numbers. If, as you suggest, his aggregate is now 4 to 8 years, then he can apply for pre-release after 30 months (when he is within 18 months of his minimum.)

Beware that the charge for absconding will make his shot at pre-release almost impossible.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:08 AM

Question HOME VISIT what happens?

What happens after a home visit in PA and how long b-4 inmate is released. Thank you.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:41 PM

Post What is the time frame?

Does anyone know how long it usually takes to hear back about a decision once an inmate goes to his "staffing" hearing? My love is doing this on September 17th, but I'm kind of in the dark about how long it will take to hear something back.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:53 PM

Default Probation or Parole

Hello,
My son is in BCCF in Doylestown. His sentence is 10-23 months, counting time served. He is preparing to move to the Men's Ctr for work release. We are confused about his release. Does he need to apply for Parole to be released in 10 months? Or is he automatically released. No one has given us the same answer yet. I really don't know the difference between Parole and Probation.
Thanks.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:42 AM

PTO Moderator 

Since he has a county sentence, his sentencing judge is the one who makes the final decision to parole him. Prison staff should be on top of this, but he can remind his counselor as the date approaches.

Parole is PART of a sentence served after time spent in prison. It means he can finish his sentence in the community because he gives his word (hence the term parole) that he will comply with supervision and obey the laws.

Probation is given AS a sentence. It runs a lot like parole -- the person is allowed to live in the community under supervision. If he violates any term of his probation, it can be revoked and a new sentence imposed.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:08 PM

my husband was sentenced 9/1/10 to 15-36 months on DUI charge no other incedents with it. 1/4 mo with RRRI. He has started his AOD program with end date of 3/25/11. He said there was mention in the program of release upon completion does this have anything to do with the bill that went into effect 11/1/10? Is there anything we should be doing for prerelease? We don't know what steps are involved in the prerelease. Is this something we should initiate or something the DOC initiates? His home plan is good I am in the process of purchasing the house that we have rented for the past 6 yrs His job is waiting for him, he recieves letters from the VP of the company he works for and has been told that they will write a letter to parole any time. He also says that in his handbook there is mention of him writing to parole but there isn't an address. Can someone please help me with this and tell me what needs to be done or what the procedure is? Thank you
Old 11-29-2010, 06:23 PM

Default I am soooo confused

[quote=bobble60;1845296]Hi.
To qualify for pre-release, there is a procedure outlined in the DOC handbook. The first element is time-related. The inmate must be within 18 months of his minimum and have been in the DOc more than a year, plus he must be at least halway to his minimum. So, for example, if the sentence were 5-10, he'd meet all three criteria after 3-1/2 years. On a 2-whatever, the criteria are met at 1 year, however, they don't generally do pre-release on such short sentences.
Now, one the time requirements are met, the inmate can apply, through his counselor. They will hald a "staffing" and pass around a vote sheet. In non-violent and non-problematic offenses, the Superintendent is the final word. In more problematic cases, the decision goea all the way to the Regional Deputy Secretary.
Once approved, they are put in line for a bed date at any center within the "home" region.

My children and I need some answers please, my husband is in a prison for a sex offense, where he's at now he's in protective custody ( he calls it the hole) but they want to move him to another prison where he won't need to be in protective custody and can do his classes. He's only supposed to be in there 12-34 months with 77 days credit, he went to the prison sometime in Sept, i've heard the classes take two years to complete, is this true? When can I probably expect him to come home? The earliest date of his release in June 23 2011 and his latest date is Dec 2011, can someone please help me. He hasn't gotten into any trouble since he's been in. If you can answer my questions it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:36 AM

PTO Moderator 

He needs to get out of PC. (Yes, he's being held in "the hole," but on Administrative Custody (AC) status as opposed to Disciplinary Custody (DC) status.) While he's in PC, he won't accomplish anything. So, if they're willing to re-locate him, he should take it.

I'm surprised by this because SO's really don't have such a rough time in PA prisons. 99.9% of the harassment is verbal; the rare physical problems arise when the SO gives the other inmates an excuse. Usually the SO's kind of lay low and are quietly ignored.

The current SO program has different aspects, depending on the individual. The Psychology Department staff should have made their recommendation by now. I don't think any type of the program stretched as long as two years now, but there will be a waiting period before he's enrolled. In reality, he's unlikely to be done by June, so he has no chance of parole at that time.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:07 PM

Default Pre-release process suddenly stopped

My friend started the pre-release process in June, did his "staffing meeting", got approved by the judge and DA over the summer, and in november was waiting for his counselor to give him a bed date (that should have been in mid-late december 201) when his counselor told him that his pre-release was suddenly stopped. His counselor didn't give him a reason, but said it wasn't his fault (he had no detainers and will complete his last program next week). Just trying to figure out what might have happened and what we can do to maybe get the process back on track. His counselor told him that he was supposed to go to region 2. What could have happened? Why do they suddenly stop pre-releases...?
Old 07-17-2011, 03:20 PM

My son was sentenced to 3-6 yrs for Homicide by Vehicle while Driving under the Influence. He is at Houtzdale and has been with the PA DOC since August 12, 2010. He is employed at the prison, has recently moved to the Honors block after being recommended/approved/etc by the guards. He has not taken his TC class yet. Can anyone give me any input into his eligibility for pre-release/parole? What are his options? Am I looking at seeing him home in the next year?
Sharon
Old 08-31-2011, 07:55 AM

Default Denied pre release

Is it possible to dispute a pre release decision? He was supposedly written up which caused a denial. I'm not sure what to do.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:54 AM

PTO Moderator 

If he was written up, he was given a copy of the write-up. An inmate can't be "secretly" written up.

Pre-release decisions in most cases are made by the Superintendent of the facility. (Certain high-risk offenders must be approved at the Central Office.) The inmate knows who made the final decision. While an appeal may be possible, it is unlikely to succeed. The entire process is in the Inmate Handbook.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:33 PM

are all violent offenses excluded from pre-release consideration at the institutional level? my friend has aggravated assault and thought he was eligible to go up for an institutional vote but recently he's heard that other people with similar offenses are being sent straight to harrisburg.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:49 PM

hmm... just read DOC manual. looks like he should be eligible.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:31 AM

My son is eligible for pre-release in mid-February. He says he can be released to a home if his name is on lease...we thought he would automatically go to a HW house if he gets pre-release. Anyone know anything about this?
Just looking for some answers to get prepared. Thanks.
Sharon
Old 01-08-2012, 08:27 AM

PTO Moderator 

Pre-release is NOT to a home, but to a halfway house. He must remain in DOC custody until (at least) the expiration of his minimum date. He can not be paroled before his minimum.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:52 PM

Thanks Bobble...that is what I thought was that he would be released to a HWH to serve the remainder of his minimum. Not sure where he got his info.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmominpa View Post
My son is in SCI Houtzdale and he told me he heard they do not do any type of pre-release in state prison. Is this true? He was sentenced for 3-6yrs, first time offender for drug charges, he's having a problem getting in to boot camp and pre release may be another option. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Janice
He was and is eligible for one of the three pre release program's, RRRI, Boot camp, and SIP. I would recomend applying to bootcamp
Old 01-15-2012, 09:42 AM

PTO Moderator 

None of these are pre-release programs. They are sentencing alternatives that can be used by the court. They are not open to "application" by an inmate. Please see DC-ADM 805 to leanr about pre-release programs.

http://www.cor.state.pa.us/portal/se...policies/20643
Old 02-02-2012, 03:08 PM

Can anyone give me a ball park figure on how long after an inmate applies for Pre-Release are they notified they got it or not? Any help greatly appreciated.
Sharon
Closed Thread