Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida - Region 2 Facilities
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida - Region 2 Facilities Discussion and information for the following facilities:: Baker CI, Columbia CI, Columbia Annex, Cross City CI, FL State Prison, FL State Prison – West, Hamilton CI, Hamilton Annex, Lake City CF, Lancaster CI, Lawtey CI, Lowell CI, Lowell Annex, Lowell Reception Center, Madison CI, Marion CI, Mayo Annex, Putnam CI, RMC-Main, RMC-W, Suwannee CI, Suwannee Annex, Tomoka CI, Union CI

Old 06-22-2006, 07:27 PM
Oh loveeee!

Default Marion Correctional Institution Q&A

P. O. Box 158
3269 NW 105th Street
Lowell, Florida 32663-0158
(352) 401-6400
Suncom: 667-6400
FAX: (352) 840-5657
E-Mail: marion.ci@
mail.dc.state.fl.us

Chaplain's Office
(352) 401-6400

Directions: Drive 9.5 miles north of Ocala on SR-25A. Or, from I-75, take Exit 358 (SR-326 East) to first traffic light, turn north and drive approximately 4 miles. The facility is located on the east side of SR-25A.

Total Staff (on 1/06): 275

Type of Housing Units:
Open Bay Housing Units 5
Cell Housing Units 0
Room Housing Units 2
Total Capacity 1,187
Other Information:
Population Gender Male
Adult or Youthful Adult
Facility Level 4
Self Contained Housing Units Yes
Designated Confinement Space Yes
Custody Grades Close, Medium, Minimum, Community
Medical Grades 1 through 4
Psychological Grades 1 and 2
Wheelchair Capabilities No
Hearing Impaired Capabilities Yes

Academic Programs:

Adult Basic Education
General Education Development
Computer Assisted Instruction Lab
Mandatory Literacy Program
Volunteer Literacy Program
Special Young Adult Population
Special Education
Vocational Programs:

Cabinetmaking
Drafting Mechanical
Electricity
Equine Care Technology (Marion Work Camp)
PC Support Services
Wastewater/Water Treatment Technologies
Wellness Education Services:

Fresh Start Smoking Cessation
Wellness Education
Weight Training
Sports Leagues
Library Services:

Library Program
Major Law Collection
Substance Abuse Programs:

Modality I
Alcoholics Anonymous
Narcotics Anonymous
Chaplaincy Services:

Chapel Library Program
Religious Education
T.D. Jakes Satellite Location
Way Home Bridge Builders
Worship Services
Institutional Betterment Programs:

Even Start Family Literacy Program
Other Ongoing Programs:

Band Program
Community Preparedness
Guides to Better Living
P.R.I.D.E. Programs:

Corrugated Boxes
Textiles
Community Work Squads:
Dept. of Transportation 4 Squads
Public Work Squads 5 Squads
Interagency Community
Service Work Squads Yes

HOPE THIS HELPS!

"I know it seems hard sometimes, but remember one thing, through every dark night, there's a bright day after that. So no matter how hard it gets, keep your chest out, keep your head up and handle it."

- Tupac Shakur

LOVE YOURSELF, FIRST.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2006, 12:43 PM
~Forever & Ever~

Default Info on Marion C.I

I had originally posted looking for info on Gainesville C.I but it seems my baby has been moved to Marion. I was wondering if anyone has loved ones there and what it is like. Just the overall atmosphere ( not that any is superb ) but just level of violence, the treatment by guards etc. I have seen from the FDOC website that they offer a pretty good number of programs/classes but any info you have would be great. Thank you
Old 08-07-2006, 10:11 PM

Hi...my brother was just transferred to Marion today. I'm also wondering the same thing. Have you heard anything?

Sheila
Old 08-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Little Miss Convict

Hello, My loved one was there for about eleven months...If your loved ones stays to themselves there shouldn't be any problems at Marion CI ...Although my loved one didn't like it there .... there are quite a few there that I met while visiting him...that they stated that it isn't to bad there...and, they liked it...I guess it's a matter of opinion...of who you ask...visitation there was ok...the C.O.'s were friendly and, it takes forever to get into the VP ... if you have any other questions regarding Marion CI feel free to send me a pm....
Old 08-08-2006, 12:32 PM

Hi Dragnbaby...can you elaborate on some of the things that your loved one didn't care for? I'm just curious. This is my brother's first stop since reception so he doesn't have much to compare it too.

Sheila
Old 08-08-2006, 05:05 PM
~Forever & Ever~

Default Marion C.I

My baby has been at Marion for just about 2 weeks now and so far, he says its better than most institutions he has been to....and he has been transfered around! He says the guards (thus far ) have been decent and so has his classification officer. There are alot of programs and classes available. The mail moves quickly and the overall environment has been tolerable. I guess it is a matter of personal preference but trust me at some of places he has stayed it was just terrible. If you have any other questions you can PM me also.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-10-2006, 01:30 PM

Thanks a bunch. Just received the first letter from my brother and he seems pleased with Marion. Woohoo! What a relief. I can't wait until the phone is activated or visits are allowed. The process is incredibly sloooow!!!!

Sheila
Old 12-27-2006, 06:10 PM

Default Need info on Marion CI

I am looking for info on Marion CI. My grandson is at Apalachee East CI ( what a horrible place) right now and is wanting to transfer closer to Orlando and he has been told from guys that have transferred into where he is now that Marion is a OK camp. I would like to know for sure before he puts in for it. So if anyone knows anything good or bad PLEASE let me know.
Thank you
Old 12-27-2006, 06:57 PM

My brother is at Marion and he hasn't had any problems. There are alot of lifers there. I hear it's a camp for guys that have had trouble elsewhere fitting in. It's my brother's first camp and he hasn't had any issues. Feel free to PM me.

Sheila
Old 01-06-2007, 10:16 PM
~Forever & Ever~

My fiance is at Marion C.I and he seems to find it tolerable. It is better than other facilities he has been in. I have had no real problems when visiting, the staff are pretty nice. Some are alittle more anal but most are indifferent to friendly.

PM me if you want any further info.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:22 AM
waiting_on_him_2018

Marion CI is much more layed back, my bf has been there since April, he spent 6 years at CFRC-East, he likes this place.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:20 AM

iam from marion county and my husband was first put at hamilton correctional and due to my car and finances he asked for a transfer to marion correctonal and he was just moved to mci on monday 5/7/07 so see if he can get close in his home town they might grant it .. my email is (email address removed per PTO policy) if you ever want to write to me.......

god bless
lisa and josh

Last edited by ben's girl; 08-29-2009 at 09:12 AM..
Old 05-19-2007, 06:06 AM
Donation Award 

My Baby is at Marion and has few complaints. He does say that it is the worst place he's been in terms of food. For someone in prison that's not quite as important as how the staff treat them, and he says they are the most respectful of any of the other camps he has been in. Just this week the warden instituted controlled movement, so noone is happy about that. I've had nearly no problems with the mailroom, although I have sent a copy of a pertinent section of Title 33 dealing with the allowed number of SASE. They have a great education department with teachers who seem to care about their students. As prison goes, time at Marion seems to pass relatively quickly.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:58 AM

Default Visitation @ Marion CI?

Can anyone tell me anything about it? Are they super strict? Can you hug and kiss more than once? Are they real picky about clothing? Can you bring in pen and paper? Do the CO's glare at you like they are looking for you to do something wrong? Are you allowed to walk around outside at the VP?

Jefferson CI (Region 1, where my honey just left) is super strict, but even worse, they aren't consistent with their rules. One week a shirt is fine to wear, the next week the same shirt is deemed too low cut. It's frustrating!

Sorry so many questions... Mike is being transferred to Marion before the end of the month and I want to make sure our first visit there goes smoothly.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:51 PM
~Forever & Ever~

Default Marion C.I.....dress code??

I know what the rules say as far as what is and is not allowed to be worn but when I was at Marion in January they were not only allowing white to be worn but tank tops and open toed shoes...eg flip flops. I will be coming next month and was wondering if there have been any changes...thanks for your help
Old 06-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Get On with Getting On

My guy is in Marion right now, and although I haven’t gotten a chance to visit him yet I know that they have really cracked down since the riots a couple of weeks ago. If their attitude regarding mail is any indication, then you will want to dress VERY conservative. I’m getting lingerie pictures sent back as being "lewd" even though everything is covered and there is no touching of one’s self in the photos.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:41 PM
~Forever & Ever~

Default Anyone have a loved one at Marion C.I??

I am hoping to come down for the Thanksgiving weekend and was wondering if anyone else will be going. I am looking to carpool. I will pay for gas. Please let me know

Thanks!!
Old 05-16-2008, 05:26 PM
~Forever & Ever~

Default ANYONE...with a loved one at Marion C.I????

I have posted before but got no response I am looking to talk to anyone who has a loved one at Marion C.I....could you please get in contact with me if you can.

Thanks in advance!!

Bless
Old 05-19-2008, 10:36 AM

My husband is at marion work camp which is on the same grounds as MCI is there anything I could help you with?

Old 08-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Justins Mom

Default Son wants to transfer to Marion......

Hes in Okaloosa now and there is nothing for him to do. He just turned 22, needs his GED and could use more, so he is going to transfer in a year which is coming soon, just wanted some ideas and thoughts about Marion and how it is there...thanks everyone for any input.

Mary
Old 11-04-2008, 04:23 PM
grayssite

Default Marion work camp

My husband is at Marion workcamp, hopefully going to Re-entry center of Ocala

Last edited by gray'ssite; 11-04-2008 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 06-27-2010, 08:42 AM

Default hubby approved for transfer to marion ci, need some current information please :)

well, my hubby was approved for his transfer to marion ci- something we are thrilled about because instead of driving almost 6 hours to see him, i only will have an hour n a half drive! we never thought we would be happy about this whole prison business, but over this we sure are! lol so now we sit n wait! now im looking for some current good information on the facility- the main camp, n0t the work camp. i do know since the assistant warden left n went to avon park conditions improved a bit, but what else is ok about marion? how is visitation? whats acceptable & not, down to how you stand for pictures? about showing affection, etc.. what does the facility have to offer inmates? im just looking pretty much for whatever i can find thats positive about this place-the negatives seem the same pretty much everywhere lol. thanks bunches!

Last edited by <3mymichael216; 06-27-2010 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: added to
Old 06-27-2010, 09:02 AM

Default visitation at marion ci

so, hubbys been approved for transfer to marion ci. what can anyone please tell me about visitation there? ive been told its pretty relaxed , so im wondering about the facts. thanks
Old 07-09-2010, 12:19 PM
mikes mom

Default marion

Quote:
Originally Posted by <3mymichael216 View Post
so, hubbys been approved for transfer to marion ci. what can anyone please tell me about visitation there? ive been told its pretty relaxed , so im wondering about the facts. thanks
my son spent quite some time there between the main unit and the work camp.it wasn't that bad at either place and as for visiting they were pretty good. it gets crowded out under the canopy but either get there real early or get there by about 930 and hope it don't rain
Old 09-28-2010, 04:32 PM
~* he completes me *~

Get there very early this is a car line that you will have to sit in if he goes to the main unit.. my boyfriend just left the main unit.. it is very crazy over there... dont cut anyone in the line wait your turn the tend to get pretty mad. The car line leaves at 7:24 to go up and wait at the door. He prolly will get irritated if he doesnt like noise and a lot of bangging on beds. as far as clothing nothing tight try not to wear white or extra layers of clothes. its not to bad over there..