Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida - Region 2 Facilities
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida - Region 2 Facilities Discussion and information for the following facilities:: Baker CI, Columbia CI, Columbia Annex, Cross City CI, FL State Prison, FL State Prison – West, Hamilton CI, Hamilton Annex, Lake City CF, Lancaster CI, Lawtey CI, Lowell CI, Lowell Annex, Lowell Reception Center, Madison CI, Marion CI, Mayo Annex, Putnam CI, RMC-Main, RMC-W, Suwannee CI, Suwannee Annex, Tomoka CI, Union CI

Old 08-29-2011, 08:34 AM

Default Marion CI is his Permanent Location!!!

I just got the Vine notice that he got Marion CI! So excited because it's only a couple of hours away! Any information anyone can give me about Marion would be great

How are the visitation rules? Is it a decent place or hell?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2011, 08:40 AM
ARG - I love YOU more! :)

Check the sticky to see the specific rule for this location..however congrats on his placement! I know I felt such relief once he was at his perm camp!

*It's an infinate world, and I want you*
The Following User Says Thank You to MarGrits For This Useful Post:
Lynn76 (08-29-2011)
Old 08-29-2011, 08:42 AM

I looked and there's nothing too helpful and everything is a few years old
Old 08-29-2011, 09:18 AM

There was nothing up to date about my loves (New River) but the old advice prepared me. Best advice..get there early, dress VERY conservatively (with a change of clothes in the car) & don't be afraid to ask someone around you if you need too. I introduced myself to two women talking, explained it was my first time and they were helpful. I also asked my love to ask other inmates he knew what visitation was like - and got a good feel for what to expect....hope this helps a little!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarGrits View Post
There was nothing up to date about my loves (New River) but the old advice prepared me. Best advice..get there early, dress VERY conservatively (with a change of clothes in the car) & don't be afraid to ask someone around you if you need too. I introduced myself to two women talking, explained it was my first time and they were helpful. I also asked my love to ask other inmates he knew what visitation was like - and got a good feel for what to expect....hope this helps a little!
Thank you That's great advice. I always dress conservatively, but will do so even more for visitation. He laughs at me when I tell him I'm wearing a sweatshirt and baggy jeans because he says the girls dress like hookers. They must know the guards, or something!
Old 08-29-2011, 10:31 AM

Yeah I saw a few interesting outfit choices...but my attitude is when in doubt don't wear it, because to lose 1 minute with him because I had to go change is NOT worth it. But since the rules can change without notice the extra set it a great idea. Also, obviously follow the guidelines given with the visitation forms and snoop around here for issues others have had at visitation. Sometimes even common sense is not enough! Lol

The Following User Says Thank You to MarGrits For This Useful Post:
Lynn76 (08-30-2011)
Old 08-29-2011, 02:45 PM

I ended up completing my sentence at Marion. (well, actually Marion Work Camp) But, compared to some of the crazy prisons I was at in FL, Marion was like the Hilton. Visitation there is fine. It does get busy. They put the friendliest COs up there in the visitation park. The canteen guys are super quick. I never saw any problems at either the main institution or the work camp with respect to visiting. If I would have had a choice in the matter I would have LOVED to do all my time at Marion. That place was SO easy. This is coming from someone who was at ACI, FSP and other hell holes.

Good for your husband/boyfriend.
The Following User Says Thank You to spin721 For This Useful Post:
Lynn76 (08-30-2011)
Old 08-29-2011, 06:41 PM
Donation Award 

My son just got to Marion C.I. about 2 months ago, coming from Lancaster. Marion sucks in comparison...no jobs, no schooling, nothing but boredom and gangs. Tough to do if you're kids not in a gang, as he will be tried a lot. He's on the jit side but will go to adult in about 2 weeks when he turns 21. I'm really pissed off about the move and how little DOC cares to make a difference in these young mens lives. If they would offer them some classes or work, at least they might learn something they could use when they get out. There is no A/C of course, and the fans are broken where they bunk, but no one does anything about it...kind of ironic when there are over 70 men sleeping in there and none of them are given a job -- maybe they could use that manpower, and put these guys to work fixing the fans and improving the place. Visits are okay. Bring an extra set of clothes...and your shirt has to have sleeves, or you get turned away. I'm not just talking no tank tops, that also means no sleeveless golf shirts. The bathrooms are locked up, so ask a guard to unlock it -- found that out the hard way after standing outside the door waiting for 10 minutes. Then the guard told me it would cost me a buck for him to unlock it. Jerks! Oh, and if you are outside when they call count, you need to go inside until they are done...they don't tell you that either in the rules. Sorry to sound so down about it, but I'm watching my son getting anger and hate issues at Marion, after watching him have some hope for a future at Lancaster where he had a good job and there were schooling ops...Florida DOC needs to get out of the dark ages and put out a little effort beyond just providing nasty food, water and a hot place to sleep. We'll never drop the rescidivism rate doing that!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by positivet View Post
My son just got to Marion C.I. about 2 months ago, coming from Lancaster. Marion sucks in comparison...no jobs, no schooling, nothing but boredom and gangs. Tough to do if you're kids not in a gang, as he will be tried a lot. He's on the jit side but will go to adult in about 2 weeks when he turns 21. I'm really pissed off about the move and how little DOC cares to make a difference in these young mens lives. If they would offer them some classes or work, at least they might learn something they could use when they get out. There is no A/C of course, and the fans are broken where they bunk, but no one does anything about it...kind of ironic when there are over 70 men sleeping in there and none of them are given a job -- maybe they could use that manpower, and put these guys to work fixing the fans and improving the place. Visits are okay. Bring an extra set of clothes...and your shirt has to have sleeves, or you get turned away. I'm not just talking no tank tops, that also means no sleeveless golf shirts. The bathrooms are locked up, so ask a guard to unlock it -- found that out the hard way after standing outside the door waiting for 10 minutes. Then the guard told me it would cost me a buck for him to unlock it. Jerks! Oh, and if you are outside when they call count, you need to go inside until they are done...they don't tell you that either in the rules. Sorry to sound so down about it, but I'm watching my son getting anger and hate issues at Marion, after watching him have some hope for a future at Lancaster where he had a good job and there were schooling ops...Florida DOC needs to get out of the dark ages and put out a little effort beyond just providing nasty food, water and a hot place to sleep. We'll never drop the rescidivism rate doing that!
I agree, especially since most of these men are in for simply buying drugs...pills at that! They obviously need help, or we will continue to waste our tax dollars housing them and feeding them dog food. I was hoping he wouldn't be too bad in there, but I guess that was wishful thinking!

I don't wear tank tops, so this won't be a problem. But, as conservatively as I dress, I will be disturbed if they tell me to change I'll have to try hard not to show my annoyance at the guards!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spin721 View Post
I ended up completing my sentence at Marion. (well, actually Marion Work Camp) But, compared to some of the crazy prisons I was at in FL, Marion was like the Hilton. Visitation there is fine. It does get busy. They put the friendliest COs up there in the visitation park. The canteen guys are super quick. I never saw any problems at either the main institution or the work camp with respect to visiting. If I would have had a choice in the matter I would have LOVED to do all my time at Marion. That place was SO easy. This is coming from someone who was at ACI, FSP and other hell holes.

Good for your husband/boyfriend.
Thank you for this I pray he gets a work camp soon! I hear they are much better than the cells.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Donation Award 

Not cells...dorms with about 70-80 men in one room.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Not cells...dorms with about 70-80 men in one room.
Wow...is that better or worse than cells?
Old 08-31-2011, 05:31 PM
Donation Award 

I guess it's still a cell, but instead of 2 or 4 men sharing it, 71 men share it...I think it's just a lot of single cots/beds in one large room. No A/C but a big fan on each end and some fans above, but not all the fans work. Very hot.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:01 PM

He called today and said they fixed the fans and he even needed a blanket last night Said the food is edible and healthy and prays he gets to stay there awhile. Great news!
Old 09-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Donation Award 

Good news about the fans...guess there could always be somewhere worse, right?
Old 09-07-2011, 08:28 PM

I got approved!!!!!!!! I get to see him this weekend!!!!!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:10 AM

Thumbs up Marion CI and Work Camp

Now that I have some experience with Marion, I thought I would post what I've learned

My boyfriend was at the main prison for a week and I was awarded visitation within a few days. It was pretty good. They weren't strict at all about clothing...one woman even had a see-through dress with her underwear clearly showing. There was no line, so I would show up at 8:45 and be let in within 5 minutes and they let him out right after 9. We kissed and held hands and he was even able to put his hands on my legs. Only once did one of the guards tell us to get some distance in between us. There's a lot of tables outside and it doesn't get crowded until around noon or so. I had no trouble getting a table at 9. Everyone pretty much keeps to themselves and leaves you alone. We didn't play any games because we literally talked and laughed non-stop for 6 hours each day. He's at Marion Work Camp now and I was forced to change 3 times because my shirts were too big, see through, no layers, blah, blah....None of that was true, but what do you do? You change or go home And, home is hours away. There's also no line at the work camp. No car line, either. I'm nervous about tomorrow because I don't want to wear myself out running to change 50 times again. Even one old lady with a thick Gators shirt on was told to leave. Some of the guards are on a power trip, for sure. It's very frustrating. I have social anxiety, so am already a wreck without having to be humiliated about what I'm wearing in front of everyone I'm praying that this is only the next step to him being approved for work release, since that's his goal.

The food is decent, but they just found out that they were feeding them poison because they had refined something on the menu too many times. Nice, right? So, they have to eat soy burgers, now. Mine pretty much sticks to the commissary food.

8 more months and this hell will be over...this part, at least

Oh, and they will get a DR if they make more than 2 calls on a weekday. We almost had to learn that the hard way.

I hope this helps someone out there! If I think of something else, I'll post again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynn76 For This Useful Post:
ben's girl (09-19-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Missing Him

Default Hi

does anyone know what the phone system is there? and where i can sign up? and put money on my account?

Old 10-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Donation Award 

You can only use a landline, and the prisoner has to submit some paperwork that gives the landline number you will use to receive the calls and the name of the person who is listed on the phone bill. Then you use Securus to put money on the account. You can do that online at securustech.net.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Donation Award 

Default Mail problems at Marion C.I. or Marion Work Camp?

My son isn't getting all his mail and it's not getting returned to the sender. He's not being notified that it has been refused either. This is happening A LOT. Anyone else having this problem?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:27 PM

Default Husband wants to do a good adjustment transfer

He is wanting to do a transfer, but we want him to be closer to home and also go to an institution where he will have something to do with his time and not sit idle. I looked up Marion CI and I saw on the website that they have tons of programs. Is this just for show or is it the real deal?

Community Preparedness, Guides to better living, Cabinet Making, Drafting Mechanical, Electricity, Waste water, Faith Based 12 step program, FCBI Phase 2 program, Special events, Weekend seminars.............are they for real about all of this stuff? I would really like to know. Thanks for any information in advance.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Donation Award 

My son is at Marion and he wanted to do a program but they told him no. His level is medium and he has to be lower to be in any of the training programs. I never heard about special events or weekend seminars. The motorcycle religious group goes there every so often I think for religious services, but I have not heard of any of the others...could just be that my son's not into those. When he asked about how he could get a job, they told him to "network". He was pretty hyped on wanting to get some training while he was doing his time, so when they eventually offered him a Pride job, he turned it down. So they sent him to the work camp and stuck him in the kitchen -- (He thinks in retaliation. I think he should have taken the first job, but it's his choice to make, not mine.) Anyhow, he likes the kitchen job but he only works 30 min. a day, 2 days on then 2 days off -- I think that's why he likes it! He's really busy developing a good work ethic, huh? So, in answer to your question, from where I sit the programs are BS. Maybe they actually do something for people with a lower custody level...IDK.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
My son is at Marion and he wanted to do a program but they told him no. His level is medium and he has to be lower to be in any of the training programs. I never heard about special events or weekend seminars. The motorcycle religious group goes there every so often I think for religious services, but I have not heard of any of the others...could just be that my son's not into those. When he asked about how he could get a job, they told him to "network". He was pretty hyped on wanting to get some training while he was doing his time, so when they eventually offered him a Pride job, he turned it down. So they sent him to the work camp and stuck him in the kitchen -- (He thinks in retaliation. I think he should have taken the first job, but it's his choice to make, not mine.) Anyhow, he likes the kitchen job but he only works 30 min. a day, 2 days on then 2 days off -- I think that's why he likes it! He's really busy developing a good work ethic, huh? So, in answer to your question, from where I sit the programs are BS. Maybe they actually do something for people with a lower custody level...IDK.

I don't know about the custody levels, because my hubby was at Columbia, no where near EOS and was able to take the HVAC class and finish. His custody now is Minimum, so this is why we want him in more things. I am tired of him playing sports and getting injured. The medical in the prison is not well thought out. Lawtey is faith based and has a TON of programs there. We are looking to see if he could get into the programs there.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:16 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teardropswife View Post
I don't know about the custody levels, because my hubby was at Columbia, no where near EOS and was able to take the HVAC class and finish. His custody now is Minimum, so this is why we want him in more things. I am tired of him playing sports and getting injured. The medical in the prison is not well thought out. Lawtey is faith based and has a TON of programs there. We are looking to see if he could get into the programs there.
After the announcement about all the prisons closing, I think transfer requests are probably out of the question for a long, long time! They are going to be too busy moving around the people from the prisons that are closing. What is EOS?

Last edited by positivet; 01-13-2012 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: added more
Old 01-14-2012, 06:15 AM

Default Marion C.I. Programs

Marion's programs aren't generally tied to custody level, although some require gate passes. The most controlling criteria is time remaining since some programs take up to three years to complete and won't go to someone with a year and a half left. They figure out if the inmate needs job skills and will be in a position to use them. No point teaching cabinetry to a lifer. Some programs have waiting lists. As with all the prisons, some programs are decent and others are pretty pathetic.