Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ohio Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Ohio Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Brian's soulmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raebear
That probably depends on the institution, however the rule states:"
Effective: 01/01/2007
. It also states:"Family members, friends and others (regardless of their inclusion on the inmate's approved visitation list) may order food and/or sundry packages, subject to the limitations of this rule, from the approved vendor or vendors,for the benefit of a designated inmate."
Check out: http://www.registerofohio.state.oh.u...60713_1328.pdf for more details.
Yes thank u, I told her and she said her man had told her that bc of something about a rule where u cant receive any food or clothing boxes for 90 days after being in an institution. Hopefully thats not the case where my husband is going bc i would like to atleast get one in before they stop it.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2006, 10:13 AM

From my Future Sis in law

Quote:
Just got off the phone with Mom I guess Doug called her
yesterday. She sent him a box and the wouldn't let him have it.
I guess he can only have a box quarterly which they say is 3
times a year . Isn't quarterly 4 times a year???? They are
sending the box back to Mom and Dad. I guess he cant get
another box until Jan. Which makes Mom sad because he wont have
anything for Christmas.
Which means that since the new Box from the contractors goes into effect after that, well, the good old state of Ohio get's it's way, once again. I realize prison is not meant to be a good time, but I think that this is bullocks! I am working so hard to get him out of there, as he is completely innocent of all of this crap, and they pull this. I cannot wait to get back home to make a lot of noise in general.

Letters and e-mails to papers are virtually ignored and you know why? When they ask me to verify my address, and I let them know that I am in the UK, they look at me like I am a crank. Hell, I will be paying Ohio tax soon enough.

Sorry, to have a vent. This gets my ire up.

~Sophia
Old 11-17-2006, 08:40 AM

Default New info on the food and clothes boxes...

my friend is at Warren, he wrote yesterday and told me that they just told him that starting Jan 1, 2007 family and friends will be allowed to send 2 food and clothing boxes per year, items DO NOT have to be purchased from their catalogs or vendors. He seemed excited about it. Anyone else with any info on this???
Old 11-17-2006, 01:35 PM

Thanked 4,123 Times in 1,529 Posts
Default Ohio Food and Boxes?

I just read the posting--does this mean starting Jan 1 07 we can send a food package to Federal Prison in Ohio? Elkton? As long as they have been there over 90 days?
We order from a vendor of the Prison?

Last edited by MsChiku; 11-19-2006 at 07:34 AM..
Old 11-19-2006, 07:34 AM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boflipflops36
I just read the posting--does this mean starting Jan 1 07 we can send a food package to Federal Prison in Ohio? Elkton? As long as they have been there over 90 days?
We order from a vendor of the Prison?

Federal (Elkton) is different than State Prisons...Please go to the Federal Prison Forum for the correct response. Best Wishes

"...for this too shall pass..."
Old 11-20-2006, 07:36 PM

Default DRC Web site announcement

has a notice of the sundry box changes posted. Read it and weep.

As my husband's bunky always says, "Nothing's too bad for us."

It appears there will be only one vender and their Web site "should be" completed by the first of the year." Grrrr.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:59 AM
im the PB, he's the J

the website ohiopackages.com seems to be up and running. i just checked out the catalogs...eh? shipping is only gonna be $4? i guess that parts kinda cool. maybe?

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
Old 11-21-2006, 12:10 PM

Yay! It wasn't working last night when I was messing with it. At least now we can see what's there.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:30 AM

Well, I don't know who designed that website and catalog... but my 3 year old could do a better job with the HTML code
Old 11-22-2006, 12:07 PM

I think Little Saucy could do a better job of picking foodstuffs, too.

I know this will help with the problem of inmates who lose all but $10 of their money each month, and for that I'm glad. But some of those inmates are in there for so awfully long and these are their only treats from the outside. It seems so cruel.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Immanuel-God With Us

Is the prison system accountable to anyone?
Old 11-23-2006, 01:34 AM

It sure doesn't seem like the drc is accountable to anyone.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:48 PM

Default confused

I'm so confused! Do we have to order from this vendor or is it just an option for the limited number of boxes they are allowed to receive? This is what I think I have decifered so far...
-depending on the security level they may receive a set number of food and clothing boxes
-they can be ordered from this vendor but do not have to be.

the advantage I see from ordering online from the vendor is that they automatically calculate the weight of the items you are sending so you dont go over the weight limit, you select the institution and it only brings up items that are allowed at that prison, and if you order online, vs. mail or phone, shipping is free.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:06 PM

They have the info of the Ohio Department of Corrections Page. It appear to be only food items not clothing. It is on the home page with NEW next to it. It says you can download the file or they will be sending the info out to us. Hope this helps!
Old 11-23-2006, 04:12 PM

Default thanks

thanks, do you have a link to that page? where can I find it, sorry kind of new.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:13 PM

Default i found it

nevermind, I found it, thanks a bunch!
Old 11-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Billys Mom

Default Billys mom

the new vender for food and sundry packages is THE KEEFE GROUP.
EFFECTIVE 1/07

WWW.OHIOPACKAGES.COM
Old 11-23-2006, 11:06 PM

I wonder if they're going to allow people who are level 3 to get them then. For those people that would be absolutely wonderful and I can sort of see the prison system's point of view. New York State has vendors for that sort of thing I looked through their site. I think I'd actually support that. It should speed things up. I just hope the stuff is only expensive and not outrageously expensive.

Old 11-23-2006, 11:15 PM
Billys Mom

Default exceptions

only ones not able to receive packages are crc reception inmates,medical inmates, disiplinary control inmates and any one in ipp program. It tells all info on the web site, prices arent real bad .
Old 11-24-2006, 03:04 PM

Some medical inmates MAY get the packages! And one GOOD thing about their new rule is that #3 may now get a food package. Back in Feb. they had said NO packages for #3's.

Read the rules again. It says that the inmate may place the order (if you put enough money on his account) OR a family member may place the order for the inmate. Go to the site http://www.ohiopackages.com/ and order a catalog. I just ordered one to be sent to me and one to be sent to Doc. Then he can pick out exactly what he wants and I can order it for him - unless he'd rather go thru his Case Manager.

I do see items there that can be purchased at Commissary for less money. Darn! However, I do see some new items. One is the precooked bacon which I buy often and love it. Also precooked meals that they can just microwave and a few other things - at high prices, of course.

Using this method costs us more money, but will free up prison employees for other things. (HA!!) Now they won't have to hire a couple of people who do nothing but unpack packages and go thru them with a fine tooth comb looking for contraband.

The prison system is accountable to US, the public! Don't get too unhappy with this new rule because Ohio is still lots better than some other states, believe it or not. You can be very thankful that your inmate isn't in Texas or Arizona or a number of other states!
Old 11-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Ashleigh "Loves" McKinley

Default About the new food & Clothes Boxes

Doc's Sis Can you help me ? Have you already recieved your catalog for the new food and clothes boxes.. I was in the FAQs and seen that they will be sending the catalogs out in december 2006..I requested one hopefully i will get it ..Let me know if you could help me

thanks Ashleigh
Old 11-24-2006, 05:23 PM

The program that is being started is long overdue. The only problem as I see it is that with only ONE vendor they have no need to offer great customer service or FAIR prices. All other states that use a vendor program, have several to choose from. Ohio is allowing Keefe to have a monopoly, they are the only approved vendor and most commisary food comes from them also.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:12 PM

After reading this it seems that level 3 inmates can get the same packages as level 2's so for level 3 people this is a good change. Even the level 4's get certain stuff.

They also say they will supply us and the inmate with approved vendors. They can get up to 3 boxes a year with level 3's only being able to get food once.

It really does seem like prison is becoming an industry in Ohio which is sad.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygurl
They have the info of the Ohio Department of Corrections Page. It appear to be only food items not clothing. It is on the home page with NEW next to it. It says you can download the file or they will be sending the info out to us. Hope this helps!
OK, I am more than confused... Are they allowed to get clothing boxes from home or is this contractor also dealing with this?

Also, are inmates allowed to receive CD's at all? I do not see Music CD's in the catalog

Thanks in Advance,

~Sophia
Old 11-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Billys Mom

Default food&clothes

effective jan 1,07 all food and clothes boxes must be ordered threw the new vender. you can still send your own clothing or food box december 06, but must be received by the 28 or it will be sent back. hope this helps.
I didnt see any cd-s on the web site either.