Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Information relating to the Colorado Department of Corrections. This includes info about Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:56 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Exclamation Sterling Correctional Facility

Visiting Suspended at SCF

8 February 2007

Visiting has been suspended for Friday, February 9 through Sunday, February 11, 2007 for Unit 4 at Sterling Correctional Facility (SCF) due to facility/operational security functions. Visiting will resume its normal operation for Unit 4 starting on Friday, February 16, 2007.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2007, 04:52 PM

Question Questions about SCF

Thanks Cindy

I'm getting ready to go see my brother this weekend. He is in a different part then that one. He is in Block 33. I am horrified about going to see him as well as excited to be able to get to go. Its been 6 months since I have seen him and 8 months since I have got to hug him. I speak with him on the phone regularly. Brandon (my brother) has a wonderful personality and I couldn't ask for a better friend. We are the type of friends that know what the other is thinking without having to say a word. We know when the other is hurting and/or trying to hide it.

I am worried about my visit to the prison. I've never been to one before and I am very worried that seeing my brother in there is going to be too much for me to bear. I was at his sentenceing hearing and when the judge sentenced him to a 6 year term, I watched him walk out of the court room with the baliff and I was able to hold the tears back until I exited the courtroom and I just lost it. I cried uncontrollably for about 2 hours. My parents literally had to help me out of the courthouse. I felt as though my heart had been ripped out of my chest. Needless to say I spent the better part of the next 2 weeks crying alot. I finally was able to adjust to the fact that he was there when they took him to DRDC. He was sentenced on July 5th, 2006 and went to DRDC on August 11, 2006. Again I had water works for several weeks. Although I still cry its not as often.

Well anyway this week I am going to see him and am worried that I won't be able to hold back the tears. My mom keeps telling me that I am his rock and that I have to be strong. That is easier said then done when he can look into my eyes and know that I'm gonna cry. Of course Brandon pops off with something like "No Tears, or Don't you do it!"

Its going to be a very long saturday I will have to leave my house at 5 am and won't get home til around 10pm. I live 265 miles from SCF. But I'm looking forward to it non the less.

Anyone have any pointers for a first time visitor? Is it really as scary as I am thinking? This is also the first time Brandon has been in prison.

Thanks everyone for bearing with the long post and rambling.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:42 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

No worries...you'll be fine!

Make sure you check DOC's website or call Sterling to see if they are allowing visits...it can change on a moment's notice, it just depends on what is happening at the facility. The facilities often lockdown due to fights between offenders.

Here's the link to DOC's homepage...they will list it on there...

http://www.doc.state.co.us/

Call tomorrow and make sure you're approved to visit. Talk to the visiting staff. I can't tell you how many times people have been told by the Offender that they are approved only to drive a long distance and find out they're not.'

Make sure your driver's license matches your visiting app. If you have moved, make sure the correct address is on your DL.

No jewelry other than wedding bands and religious medallions. No earrings! No handbands, barettes, etc. Clear/rubber bands are ok, No hoodies. Wear a turtleneck or a high top...and make sure they can't see any part of your bra through it. No grey, orange, green...those are the colors of the Offender's uniforms. No short skirts...

When you call to see if you're approved to visit ask the policy on clothing...every facility is different and some are stricter than others. Also ask about the canteen cards for visitors...and how much money you're allowed to put on the card.

It's not that bad to visit and you'll get used to it. Be strong, he needs you now more than ever...my roundtrip is 320 miles and I go every weekend.

Keep in mind, he's a first time offender...he will be eligible for community corrections 19 months prior to his parole eligibility date (PED). Depending on the offense, if his sentence is 6 years that will be approximately 3 years before you subtract his earned time...he gets 10 days a month as long as he's doing what he's supposed to. If he behaves and does as he's told...he could be in ComCor very soon! Keep your chin up and if you have any questions...you know where to find us!