Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida - Region 2 Facilities
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida - Region 2 Facilities Discussion and information for the following facilities:: Baker CI, Columbia CI, Columbia Annex, Cross City CI, FL State Prison, FL State Prison – West, Hamilton CI, Hamilton Annex, Lake City CF, Lancaster CI, Lawtey CI, Lowell CI, Lowell Annex, Lowell Reception Center, Madison CI, Marion CI, Mayo Annex, Putnam CI, RMC-Main, RMC-W, Suwannee CI, Suwannee Annex, Tomoka CI, Union CI

Old 03-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,664 Times in 3,024 Posts

Visitation at Tomoka is fairly laid back. There's usually a line first thing in the morning but I haven't seen any problems between visitors in the line. They have been fairly strict about the dress code lately- particularly no tight pants. It varies from week to week. My daughter in law wore a warm-up suit type outfit a few weeks ago no problem and then last week they made her change the pants- same outfit but different person checking. I'd bring an extra change of clothes just in case if you're travelling a distance. Otherwise, you could be visiting the local Walmart as my D-I-L had to. You're allowed to hold hands if you're walking around outside and the CO's are, for the most part, very nice. They'll let you know if they don't like something you are doing. Enjoy your visit. I'll be there visiting my son also.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nktpt View Post
Visitation at Tomoka is fairly laid back. There's usually a line first thing in the morning but I haven't seen any problems between visitors in the line. They have been fairly strict about the dress code lately- particularly no tight pants. It varies from week to week. My daughter in law wore a warm-up suit type outfit a few weeks ago no problem and then last week they made her change the pants- same outfit but different person checking. I'd bring an extra change of clothes just in case if you're travelling a distance. Otherwise, you could be visiting the local Walmart as my D-I-L had to. You're allowed to hold hands if you're walking around outside and the CO's are, for the most part, very nice. They'll let you know if they don't like something you are doing. Enjoy your visit. I'll be there visiting my son also.
Thank You so much for the information. The visit was great and I had no issues and the CO's this weekend were cool. I hope you had a very plesant visit with your son. I can't wait for my next visit, even though he might be at the camp and I will have to see how things are there.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

We had a very pleasant visit with our son. This weekend the CO's all seemed to be in a great mood and were very lenient. I actually sat next to my son for quite awhile and no one ever came over to ask me to move to the other side of the table. My son is thinking about trying to go the work camp too. He has to get an OK from the doctor first because they had him on some medical restrictions initially, but he feels like his time will go by alot faster if he has something to do to keep him busy. Right now they gave him the "job" of inside groundskeeper which basically means he does nothing all day but sit on his bunk and read. I know nothing about the work camp either.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nktpt View Post
We had a very pleasant visit with our son. This weekend the CO's all seemed to be in a great mood and were very lenient. I actually sat next to my son for quite awhile and no one ever came over to ask me to move to the other side of the table. My son is thinking about trying to go the work camp too. He has to get an OK from the doctor first because they had him on some medical restrictions initially, but he feels like his time will go by alot faster if he has something to do to keep him busy. Right now they gave him the "job" of inside groundskeeper which basically means he does nothing all day but sit on his bunk and read. I know nothing about the work camp either.
Yes that is what my husband keeps saying that he wants to go to the camp already so he gets busy and time can go by faster he can get into a routine and stay off trouble. He got the job of assisting inmates in wheelchair and yesterday he had the training for it. What I don't understand is that today I check and he only got 4 days of gaintime for this month. do you think its because he is not doing the job yet? My husband keeps hearing the camp is more layback and he can work either cleaning the parks and streets or if you have a trade like electrician you might get a gig doing that around the facilities. We shall see once he is finally transfer.
The Following User Says Thank You to FoRhIm2013 For This Useful Post:
Niki (03-10-2010)
Old 03-10-2010, 03:19 PM

well it depends if ur a interracial couple....because we are! we just transferred there and its horrible from what we are use to... they make up their own rules and the seating arrangement sitting across from eachother isnt even in the chapter 33 rule book... who doesnt want to sit next to their loved one? Then u have all the visitors scrunched up on 1side, but i dunno maybe it will be a better expierence for you... where are u driving from?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

FoRhIm2013, it could be he only got 4 days because of not having a job yet or it might be because he arrived there in the middle of the month. Now that he has a job he should get 10 days a month as long as he has no DR's up until the point where he reaches the 85% date.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
well it depends if ur a interracial couple....because we are! we just transferred there and its horrible from what we are use to... they make up their own rules and the seating arrangement sitting across from eachother isnt even in the chapter 33 rule book... who doesnt want to sit next to their loved one? Then u have all the visitors scrunched up on 1side, but i dunno maybe it will be a better expierence for you... where are u driving from?
The policy of making inmates sit on one side and adult visitors on the other came about because some couples were getting a bit too "friendly" sitting next to each other. My husband was at Tomoka 10 yrs ago and we were allowed to sit next to each other back then. Almost every weekend someone would get in trouble for inappropriate activity and it was really awkward if you had kids visiting because you just never knew what they might see. As far as the interracial issue, I have been in an interracial marriage for over 30 years. There are always going to be a few people who don't approve of interracial relationships and, unfortunately, some of them may be CO's. But my experience at Tomoka has generally been that they tend to monitor young couples in general more than older folks. They don't seem to mind too much if I sit beside my son for awhile, but his wife can't get away with it. I've noticed that they are strict with most of the young couples, regardless of their race. Hopefully you will have better experiences visiting at Tomoka as the CO's get used to you. If its any consolation, there are quite a few Fla prisons where visitation is alot more restricted than Tomoka.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:04 AM

We are both spanish and relatively young he is 40 and I am 33. I don't mind the sitting across from him as long as I'm able to hold him when we are walking and sneak a few kisses when we walk outside and simply see him and talk to him in person. When we were outside we forgot about siting across from each other and a CO said something, it bother my husband because he is 40 and don't like to be scold at but I didn't think nothing of it Im more laid back we just moved. I agree with NKTPT, it could be worst from what I have heard here.

BTW NKTPT my husband was transfer yesterday to the camp, he is very happy and so far he feels its so much more lay back. The only thing he sees negative but duable is that he has to sign up to use the phone and he got used to calling me anytime the phones were open. But its a small price to pay for a little more layback environment. I will go in two weeks to visit him, hopefully your son will get moved this week also.

I do hope they give him the other 6 days of gain time for this month because he did get there in the middle of the month, but I leave it all to God.

Humble1 I'm sorry your experience its worst than before, hang in there as this is not for ever and one day you will be able to hold him for more than just a few hours. I'm bless I live in Orlando and its just a 50 min drive to see him. I pray to God that your next visit is a more happy and positive experience.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FoRhIm2013 For This Useful Post:
humble1 (06-10-2010), Niki (03-11-2010)
Old 04-07-2010, 06:16 PM
waiting in Florida

Default tomoka ci? Any changes to visiting procedures?

Have not been to visit in 4 months anything changed? Do you still wait in the same place there was a problem with the police not letting us wait there? just wanted to find out what the deal is thanks
Old 04-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

I don't usually get there until after 9:00 but my daughter in law says that there are cars lined up on the road until about 7:30 when they let you park in the lot and get in line. The last couple of weekends they've been extra slow processing people in. We waited in line last Saturday from 10:20 until we finally got checked in about 11:45. Usually if I get there about 9:30 there's no more than a couple of people waiting in line.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:18 PM
iN L0VE WiTH MY iNMATE!

I will be having my first visit at this facility on Monday memorial day weekend, sucks we cant sit next to erachother

my baby comes home
[09.24.11]

Old 06-10-2010, 10:40 PM

Default @longhorn pride

Can you do something to help them abide in the visitation rule about sitting across from eachother? That is certainly not in chapter 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornpride View Post
Thats a bunch of BS. They cant do that! If you look at Chapter 33 there is nothing saying you cant wear open toed shoes / flip flops. We had a Capt. try that one day and now she is a sargent. Something about it wasnt in the rule book it was a personal rule. Well the DOC uppers do not like personal rules! We have to abide by Chp. 33 and so do they! And I hold them to it! So next time you are given a hard time there just take a name and date / time and then send me a msg. I will get you in touch with the right people who do care and dont want this personal DOC crap going on. Ok, sorry, that is a big soap box for me!
Old 06-12-2010, 10:42 AM

Default New to Tomoka C.I

My fiance was transferrd to Tomoka about a month ago... He was in Marion C.I during his time at Marion he recieved a DR and in the end my visits were suspended, Tomoka just recently approved the appeal for me to have my visits back considering the DR was overturned, because it was bulllllcrap!.. I was just wondering why I have to fill out another app before I can see him?? They say they will not use the DR in deciding if my app gets approved or not, is there any chance that my app could still not get approved? Its been 5 months since I have seen my fiance and I'm pretty much losing my mind, Also if anyone knows about how long do you think it will take them to approve the app? I know they say it can take up to 30 days but will it really take that long when i have already been approved before?
Also once I am able to come there, I was wondering how visits are. I'm so used to things at Marion i'm a little nervous about how things are at Tomoka. Do people also line up in your cars on the side of the road and then also go into the prison according to how your cars are lined up? Also I heard that you cant sit next to each other? Thats gonna be hard, considering I its been so long since I have seen him! But ohh well knowing that I can see him before he gets out now is def. a blessing. & one more question will I have to also fill out the paper again that I filled out the first time I went to Marion, Will I get a new pin number??? If anyone can help calm my nerves a little bit and help me out with this info I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks =]
Old 06-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

I'm not really sure why you have to fill out a new application other than maybe once his visits were suspended they just deleted all the info. As long as the appeal was in your favor I don't see how they could not approve you now. It took us about 2 weeks to get approved to visit my son and I was on the phone calling his CO after 1 week. Some of the other people on his list took about 30 days to get approved but his CO pushed immediate family through I think mostly so I'd stop calling. It actually only takes them about 5 minutes to do the background checks but they won't tell you that.

Visitation at Tomoka is not bad at all. There are some people who line up on the road early in the morning. They start processing them in around 8:15 or 8:30. I never go that early. The earliest I ever get there is about 9:15. That way the initial line has already been processed in and I don't have to stand in the blaring sun for too long. The visitor park has 3 areas. One is inside in the air conditioning. Then there's an area under a roof with big ceiling fans and theres an outside area. All areas have tables. You can't sit next to your inmate but if you walk around you can hold hands. The COs are usually pretty nice as long as you don't give them a reason not to be. I don't know if you'll need to get a new pin or not. I don't know what paper you had to fill out at Marion. We didn't have to fill out anything at Tomoka. The first time we visited we just had to show them our driver's license and they took a photo of each of us that comes up when you put in your pin. They give you a paper with your inmates picture as well as your picture (and anyone else visiting with you) that you have to give to the CO inside where you go thru the metal detector so they can write down any jewelry or other extra things you have with you (sunglasses, lighters, etc) Then, once they search you, you take that paper up to the CO who sits up on a stand inside the air conditioned visitors room and they will call the dorm to have your inmate sent out to visit.
Tomoka has a canteen and a couple of machines for sodas and snacks. The line for the canteen is sometimes pretty long so most of the inmates try to get everything the will eat all at one time.
There's usually one, sometimes 2, COs walking around between the outside area and the room with the fans. They don't mind if inmates talk to each other and they will usually just come over and pull the inmate off to the side and let them know if there's something he or one of his visitors is doing wrong. They do seem to keep a closer eye on the younger couples who act "lovey-dovey" but as long as you behave in a way that's appropriate for an area with alot of young kids moving around there shouldn't be a problem.
So calm your nerves-everything will be OK. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Default False Alarm re: changes at Tomoka

There is no new warden at Tomoka. Mr Wellhausen said he's not going anywhere as far as he knows. There was no problem today with sandals, flip flops or heels. As a matter of fact, one of the CO's commented that she wished she could wear sandals instead of those heavy boots that are part of their uniforms. The only restriction to footwear per Chapter 33 is no "heelys" (those sneakers with wheels on the bottom). Tank tops have been prohibited for a long time and are listed specifically as a prohibited attire in Ch.33. If you wear one they'll make you keep a sweater, jacket or other top with sleeves on over it.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
Can you do something to help them abide in the visitation rule about sitting across from eachother? That is certainly not in chapter 33
This rule comes under the one small heading that says a warden can "for the security of the prison" make the final decision on what is allowed and not allowed.

That sitting across the table from each other came from someone visiting and not caring about anything but themselves!! They got caught doing the nasty under the table so everyone pays for it! We have it a lot better then some and a lot worse then others here in Florida while visiting.. and all the rules that are a bit stricter then other places were made because someone pushed it! Heck I know of three VP babies right at Sumter CI believe me we are also lucky that we are allowed to get up from the tables and walk outside to smoke!

Always and Forever
Deborah & George

My George is Home
March 1, 2012

Old 06-15-2010, 03:15 PM

My husband is in Tomoka and my only advise to you is get on the phone to his classifacation officer DON'T be affraid to call that place or anyone you feel like you need to talk to you will keep your old pin and no you cannot sit next to your man but you can hug and kiss coming in and going out and you park your car get out and stand in line to be checked in it is for the most part a pretty laid back place where are you gonna be visiting from and have you already filled out your form Lisa
The Following User Says Thank You to lisapet For This Useful Post:
JDzAngel28 (06-16-2010)
Old 06-16-2010, 06:22 PM

Thanks soo much girls!
It really helped out alot! I just got the app sent back in last week, So i'm sure they got it this Monday, My fiance told me to call up there next Monday! So I am REALLY hoping that I will finally be able to see him next weekend!
Lisa, I just moved to Deland so that I can be close to him until he gets out next year, we are both from Michigan.. I'm just down here by myself until we are able to go back home. I'm actually about 20 minutes down the road from him.
Again thank you soooo much for the information!
The Following User Says Thank You to JDzAngel28 For This Useful Post:
Niki (06-17-2010)
Old 07-03-2010, 08:08 PM
He's Home in APRIL!!
Donation Award 

I'm glad I looked I was going to ask about visitation at tomoka myself. My husband is being moved back there on a good behavior transfer. We were there in the last part of 2004 till 2005 start of 2006 I think. I had heard it had changed after that officers death. And reading ya'lls responses it is TOTALY different. Except for the early morning line-up of cars..was one of those...not sure if I will be again. I did it before so you could be sure to get the seat ya always sat in. Back then the place was off the chain...seriously. People having sex out in the open, officers not really paying attention to anything that was going on. One inmate and his girl actually got into a bad fight hitting, and choking....no officers. It was crowded and alot of just obvious stupidity going on. I for one am HAPPY to read that it has changed. My husband and I had ALOT of our troubles in our marriage at that place even though it is where we got married.
He says he's heard it has changed and he's older now and changed himself and just wants to come home...tired of all the BS that brings about DR's!! So we will see, but from the sounds of it, it's not going to be like before. We are used to siting across from each other Jefferson and Hamilton Annex were that way.

So I'm glad I saw this post...he should be there on Thursday he's at the CFRC right now...from RMC and Jefferson. He will be closer to home again and instead of a 3 hour drive he's now only 30 /35 minutes from me.....that does make it better that he's back over this way.

Thanks for the info.
JWSPMS

The Following User Says Thank You to JWSPMS For This Useful Post:
Niki (07-09-2010)
Old 07-03-2010, 08:17 PM
He's Home in APRIL!!
Donation Award 

Oh and I also like that inmates aren't really permitted to just hang out and talk with each other any more...he'd go to the bathroom and be gone forever then I'd find out he's been talking/hanging out with other inmates and their visitors. It was just STUPID CRAZY back then and I was beyond happy when he left there. But like I said It sounds a whole lot better for sure. It will be nice to able to sit in the visiting park and not worry about what the people sitting right next to you are doing. Hahaha I can bring my mom back to visit too. I was too embarrassed.
JWSPMS

The Following User Says Thank You to JWSPMS For This Useful Post:
Niki (07-09-2010)
Old 07-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

It is alot nicer not having to worry about what others are doing around you during visitation.
Tomoka is still pretty relaxed about inmates talking to each other and to families of other inmates. We often sit near some of the guys my son has come to know and like and we've never had anyone say anything about them conversating. There's even a couple of visitors that my son knows from some years ago and they've never even minded if he gives them a hug when he sees them. I've never seen any sort of fight there and the CO's will come over and warn you if your conversation becomes too loud or if they hear cussing or any sort of "street talk".
My husband was there in 2000 and it was more like a country club than a prison back then. The one thing my son doesn't particularly like is that Tomoka is now a controlled movement camp which means that they cannot just walk around on the compound freely like they used to. The have to get a pass from a CO to go anywhere, even just to go outside to smoke a cigarette. Unless they have somewhere to go like a job, the library, or medical they are locked in their dorm all the time. They do get recreation time but even that is controlled now.

Hopefully your husband has "grown up" a bit and won't leave you sitting alone while he socializes with others. We'll probably be seeing you real soon!
Old 10-14-2010, 10:15 AM
waiting in Florida

well the ladies pretty well covered the visits but one more piece
of advice if you do not have your pin number call his classiforcation officer and get it before you go cause if you don't you have to go to the end of the line no matter if you were 1st or #8 so call and his classiforcation officer can give you it over the phone and yes we wait in cars along the road can't miss them good luck
Old 09-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Donation Award 

Default tomoka?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon&Lisa View Post
they are jut like any other prison they start at 8am end at 3pm. you get in line they sign you in they call you five at a time to enter then they check you at the metal detector and then the guard does a check and then you enter the room and give your form to the officer and wait on your visit the guards are sometimes nice and then you have those that are mean. but i enjoy my visit each time i just focu on my fellow. hope this was help.

What form? I was approved to visit him in rmc, lake butler but was not to get a ride up there how he is at Reality house and under tomoka supervision, and who would i call to find out about visits and what he may need there Tomcka, classification??? or the reality house? thank for any and all info on this place.

".....Still waiting......"
Old 12-23-2011, 08:57 AM

Default Tomoka C.I Florida

Hey I was wounding if Any one's love was in Tomoka

<3 him!
Old 12-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,303 Times in 978 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechilla View Post
Hey I was wounding if Any one's love was in Tomoka

<3 him!
There is a thread for Tomoka in the Florida Facilities, Region III forum that probably has some people on it.

I live not too far from Daytona if you need info on the Daytona area for travel.