Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida - Region 2 Facilities
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida - Region 2 Facilities Discussion and information for the following facilities:: Baker CI, Columbia CI, Columbia Annex, Cross City CI, FL State Prison, FL State Prison – West, Hamilton CI, Hamilton Annex, Lake City CF, Lancaster CI, Lawtey CI, Lowell CI, Lowell Annex, Lowell Reception Center, Madison CI, Marion CI, Mayo Annex, Putnam CI, RMC-Main, RMC-W, Suwannee CI, Suwannee Annex, Tomoka CI, Union CI

Old 12-23-2011, 10:56 AM

My grandpa is locked up with him and my grandmother lives in De land and has since I was 5 so I know the area I was just wondering about ppl who had love ones in there as well. Thanks

<3 him!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,303 Times in 978 Posts

Can anyone tell me what day of the week the transfer bus arrives at Tomoka? It would really help me to know. Thanks!

Old 03-24-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAN425 View Post
Can anyone tell me what day of the week the transfer bus arrives at Tomoka? It would really help me to know. Thanks!

I wish i knew! Do you have someone transferring in too? Where are they coming from??
Old 03-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Waiting for Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdoolittle4 View Post
I wish i knew! Do you have someone transferring in too? Where are they coming from??
My husband is going to the rehab program at Reality House, which is just down the street from there. We're trying to figure out if he's going to have to go through Tomoka first to get there or not. He's gotten really tired of strip searches this week. He's hoping he can go direct from CFRC to Reality House. We know RH does intake on Thursdays.

I did find a reference online that the Tomoka bus ran on Thursdays in Nov. 2010. Wonder if it still does or not?

Old 04-20-2012, 05:56 PM

Default Tomoka mail issues

My friend is at Tomoka, just got there last week. First letter he wrote warned me that he hears the mail is horribly slow there. I havent heard a thing from him in a week now...he usually writes every day! He is in confinement, does that make a difference in the mail???

Please tell me what your experiences have been like with mail there. Also...how strict are they with what you can write about? . We are used to writing some hot letters .

Hope someone replies to this soon. Im not used to this kind of break between letters!

Old 04-24-2012, 04:16 PM

Default Tomoka mail...anyone?????

My friend is at Tomoka, just got there last week. First letter he wrote warned me that he hears the mail is horribly slow there. I havent heard a thing from him in a week now...he usually writes every day! He is in confinement, does that make a difference in the mail???

Please tell me what your experiences have been like with mail there. Also...how strict are they with what you can write about? . We are used to writing some hot letters .

Hope someone replies to this soon. Im not used to this kind of break between letters!

Old 04-24-2012, 04:17 PM

Are you having any issues getting mail from Tomoka?

Old 04-25-2012, 04:14 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechilla View Post
Hey I was wounding if Any one's love was in Tomoka

<3 him!
Mine just got moved there...he's in confinement and I haven't heard from him in 12 days now...he wrote DAILY before. i wonder if they didn't give him his pen out of property. I sent plenty of paper, stamps, envelopes...even a book of stamps in case he needs to trade for a pen. I hate being in the blind, his first and only letter from the day he got there told me that he heard from his cellmate that the mail there is slow. But THIS slow? I am struggling to keep it together waiting to hear from him. This is so hard!

Do you have a loved one there?

Old 05-17-2012, 07:43 PM

Default Tomoka

My sons father was just transfered today I was wondering if anyone had any general information abouy the facility, is it minimum/max security? Anything I should be worried about? All in all its still prisons but some are better then others.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:13 PM

I have read all the posts...although old was wondering how sensative is the metal detector? I am coming from out of state and don't want to be denied cuz of outfit. I know to bring in extra clothing but don't want to be a bum. I haven't seen or touched my man in 3.5 YEARS!! I have a pair of black slacks with a button and the metal hook and latch thingy?? Would that or the underwire set it off?

Then do they still use this pin thing? What is that for? Do you go into the first square building past the 2 main gates? (looked on satellite on maps.com) I have been to county visits...i assume its pretty much like that?

Any new updated info?? Thank you...so excited and just want it to go as smooth as possible.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:20 AM

The new warden at Columbia CI is Steve Wellhausen, who was previously the warden at Tomoka. Does anyone know anything about Warden Wellhausen's general attitude toward inmates?

Last edited by DAQ; 11-03-2012 at 04:21 AM.. Reason: Removed info. from original post
Old 11-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Waiting for Mike

Anyone visited lately at Tomoka that can tell me what to expect there? I guess I'm visiting there this weekend thanks to DOC.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAN425
Anyone visited lately at Tomoka that can tell me what to expect there? I guess I'm visiting there this weekend thanks to DOC.
All well most of the guards are really sweet the lines move fast they try to get you in as quick as they can!! As far as waiting to go in most of the visiting people have been there for years and get along for the most part. There is a line of cars on the side of the road until you can drive up (just like most other places) and as you go in most every one knows who was where in line so they try and keep every ones place!!! If you need to know more just ask!!! Hope you enjoy your visit
Old 11-09-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Oh and it is a smaller prison so every one inside and out know every one like i said they have been there for years!!
Old 11-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Waiting for Mike

Thanks Mechilla. I am going to wait till a bit later to avoid the whole line of cars thing I think. I have to wait for a babysitter (grandma) anyway.

Good to know though that the guards are good with people.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks Mechilla. I am going to wait till a bit later to avoid the whole line of cars thing I think. I have to wait for a babysitter (grandma) anyway.

Good to know though that the guards are good with people.
Your welcome and Yes that is one of my fav. Thing the guards are great!!
Old 11-25-2012, 01:28 PM

My boyfriend is currently at Tomoka CI
Old 11-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Waiting for Mike

Mechilla was right. I can say after a couple weekends visiting that the staff at Tomoka is very good with visitors. Also impressed with the way they handled a medical emergency this weekend in the VP - a female visitor was taken away in an ambulance - with apparent consideration for the inmate and his family, and with minimal impact to the rest of the visitors.

Tomoka isn't too strict about clothes but they are insanely strict about property and searches. It's the only place I've been that they inventory your property on the way OUT, and patdowns are the most thorough I've had as well.

Balancing that...they are fairly hands-off during visiting, and discreet when they have to do something. Bathrooms are open access for visitors - inmates have to have a patdown before entering their restroom. There's an extensive collection of games for entertainment.

I've never been first thing in the AM, usually trying to arrive after the first rush. There's a table across the road from the control room with property inventory sheets and pencils. Fill one out and proceed to the control room window. They will want your ID handed through the window, and then you can PIN in. Don't forget to get your ID back before going through the gate! When you get to the screening area, the officers there will have your photo sheet and you'll hand them your property and inventory sheet before doing the metal detector. After you clear the detector, then it's time for patdowns. When you go inside, the podium is at the other end of the room. They will give you a number that you need to remember to help them find your sheet at the end of the day. If you get photos taken, you'll pick up your photos with your sheets when you leave.

Greetings don't have to be at the podium, so once you check in you can go sit wherever you want and wait for your inmate to come find you. There's a typically crowded main room. Inmates have to sit on specific sides of the tables there. Then there's two other areas - a big sort of outside room that has wood picnic tables in it. It's enclosed but not heated/cooled, and has an open doorway to the outside, so it's out of the wind and sun but still the outside temp. Much quieter than inside since there are far fewer tables in the space. Then there's the outside area, kind of small, but with a bunch of picnic tables, some wooden and some concrete. There's a couple of trees, but other than that, no shade. Some people like to walk around.

The officer presence isn't heavy in the outer areas of the VP but it is blanketed with cameras that are watched from a monitor at the podium. Don't think they can't see you!

There's two canteens - one inside in the main room and one outside in the outdoor room. Sometimes if one of them is out of something the other will have it because they don't share inventory. The vending machines are out in the outdoor room. Take plenty of coins because the one working soda machine right now is really finicky about accepting dollar bills.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:48 AM

Smile

Husband got moved today to Tomoka. Any new info? Is it a decent facility? Are the CO's pretty decent towards inmates and visitors? Thank you for ANY information you can share! Happy to have reception behind us- hoping for phone calls and visits soon!
Old 01-16-2014, 08:44 PM
Waiting for Mike

Visitation wasn't too bad at Tomoka but Classification is a nightmare there. Whatever you do don't contact them with too many questions or ask for anything. My husband, a model inmate, was called down there and threatened that there would be consequences for him if I called again after I made a simple polite phone call asking for help in getting him back to his regular program after he was removed for a medical issue. They were sweet as honey to me and then went all crazy on him two minutes after I hung up the phone. I also later learned that when I tried to go around them to Tallahassee to get help (and said it was because my husband had been threatened when I made the request locally) everything I said to Tallahassee was written down and sent back to Tomoka. So BEWARE.

The camp is a psych camp and has extremely limited movement. If he can qualify to get to the work camp he should try to - it's a totally different environment there and the officers are great and viso is much better.

The Following User Says Thank You to NAN425 For This Useful Post:
Kappabrewer (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 01:36 AM

I think he might actually be headed to the work camp- he's minimum and his CO at reception told him he would be placed in a work camp but you never know- so fingers crossed!

Thank you for the information!
Old 01-23-2014, 09:32 PM

Yes, my husband was moved to work camp but yes, they were warned at orientation by classification that they do not want to hear from spouses/girlfriends, ect. so to anyone reading this in the future my husband is "happy" there but I'd be careful before making too many calls to classification. If anyone is currently visiting there- hope to see you soon!
Old 01-24-2014, 11:15 AM
Waiting for Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappabrewer View Post
Yes, my husband was moved to work camp but yes, they were warned at orientation by classification that they do not want to hear from spouses/girlfriends, ect. so to anyone reading this in the future my husband is "happy" there but I'd be careful before making too many calls to classification. If anyone is currently visiting there- hope to see you soon!
In all the places I dealt with regarding my husband, I never dealt with any other place that was anywhere near as downright hostile to families as Tomoka classification is. It's like they don't even want to know that the families exist and if you force them to know they WILL take it out on the inmate.

My husband went his whole 34 months without a cc or dr and they threatened him with confinement (and worse) because I made a phone call on his behalf? WTH

Old 01-25-2014, 12:41 AM

Yep, they were pretty much told that exactly.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:50 PM

Anyone currently have a loved one at Tomoka C.I.? Trying to find out whatever I can and any current info (not sure if things change quickly in the FL DOC system, still new here). My husband was just moved there. Visitation? Visitation with children? Phone calls? Mail? What it’s like there? Thank you!

Last edited by qp2012; 03-22-2018 at 08:53 PM..