Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Oregon that do not fit into any other Oregon sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Christmas in your inmates prison

I have tried to imagine what our inmates see when they see our letters and cards we send them things at Christmas time. It would be intentional of me to try to bring him as much happiness at a time when he is missing out on spending it at home with me and our children, I try to uplift him but worry that by sending things may only make him more lonely at Christmas time, my only thought process to send him things is to make him happy, I also worry as I am sure if sending him too much may do him harm as there might be other inmates that don't receive anything and might be resentful. I know it all sounds so wierd but we all have heard of prison "politics" Mine has never mentioned it but has any "seasoned" inmate families experienced what I am talking about? Wishing you all the best of the holiday season by the way

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2007, 11:29 AM
Dalia

Default Locked up on Christmas

This will be the second holiday season that my son is away and we are planning on visiting him at South Fork Forest Work camp on Christmas day. He will be surprised as he doesn't know we are coming. I know it will be emotional for him as well as for his dad, brother and myself.

It is a fine line knowing how much to send him during the holidays because I know he gets very lonely and depressed. Up until last Christmas we had our family traditions we celebrated together every year for 20 years. He does not listen to Christmas music or watch movies in prison as he says it is too hard. I made him a card and wrote him a poem for Christmas but I don't go overboard with anything else. Hopefully he will be home this time next year.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:27 PM
Boss

My guy is appreciative of any attention and mail he gets, even during the holidays. I wondered the same thing the first year, if all the xmas cards just made it harder to deal with, and he said no, it made him feel loved.
There will always be envy among prisoners, just as in the outside world, but I don't think it's such a problem that you should not send him something because of what others think.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Default Christmas in your inmates prison

My friend has been in the OSP since March of 2007. This is his first Christmas being incarserated.

I have sent him one Christmas card each week. I also made him a paper stocking with all the things he sent to me for his "Wish List" from the canteen. I picked the things that I wanted to buy him and then sent in a money order to cover those items and them some.

He was able to call his mom on Christmas Eve and again on Christmas. He will call me on News Years Eve.

I heard that the OSP had cornish game hen, stuffing and more.

He was truly happy and thankful.

Happy New Year All....
Old 12-26-2007, 09:39 PM

When I was locked up I loved cards and knowing that my family was happy and missing me during Christmas, that they hadn't forgotten about me.

I don't think that any thing you send is too much. I am sure your dude loves to brag about how much you love him. I doubt it will cause much friction!

Send him your love girl!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:00 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Smile Christmas in your inmates prison

Dear Addicted One,

Thank you so much for your comments. This makes me feel so good about what I'm doing for my friend.

Most everything I do is so that he knows that I think about him 24/7.

Friction or not, I know he loves the letters and cards. I just keep them coming two or three times a week. I send mags, game sheets and more.

I send him money to get what he needs and let him know that he can call me collect.

Before he went in we were friends, and still nothing has changed.

Thanks again!
Lisa
Old 12-26-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missenhim
My friend has been in the OSP since March of 2007. This is his first Christmas being incarserated.

I have sent him one Christmas card each week. I also made him a paper stocking with all the things he sent to me for his "Wish List" from the canteen. I picked the things that I wanted to buy him and then sent in a money order to cover those items and them some.

He was able to call his mom on Christmas Eve and again on Christmas. He will call me on News Years Eve.

I heard that the OSP had cornish game hen, stuffing and more.

He was truly happy and thankful.

Happy New Year All....
Thats great, yeah my hubby is there as well and he said that they brought out extra food and stuff on xmas eve for the imates. Also I visited on christmas eve and they had santa with gifts for the kids it was nice of them to do that.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:54 PM
Outlaw's honey girl

For my guy Christmas is just another day but he certainly enjoys all the cards that he gets. He also stuffed himself on the special meal that they served and there are usually a bunch of good movies shown. I visited the Saturday before Christmas and there was a Santa giving out presents for the kids, taking photos with them and the inmates had the opportunity to purchase small gifts like candy or stuffed animals ahead of the visit that they could give to their visitors. The place was packed with everyone enjoying themselves. It's not the same as being home but it wasn't that bad either.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:20 PM

I am glad that they did something to help lighten the mood. holidays are hard with loved ones gone but when you can visit and it can be fun that helps make it a little better.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:27 PM

for christmas they actually had a play and had visitation catered as well as pictures for free by the christmas tree! SHOCKING!
as for pictures he actually asked me to send pictures of everyone including family hes never met. he also wants me to send pictures of everything i got.
im sure it bothers them not being out and around during holidays so send as many pictures as possible! it makes them feel as involved in our life as possible. i didnt know if it would bother him seeing what i got since he cant get presents but he was like if i was out id see everything so why wouldnt i want to see it even more now...
Old 12-28-2007, 01:39 AM
Boss

My ex used to have me send pics of the food I cooked on holidays. Pictures are the closest thing they have to being there.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:54 AM
holding the castle keys

Every relative and friend we have, bonbards her with cards for the holidays and birthday. I send everything I possibly can and put extra money on her books for her holiday wants from the canteen. Whether it makes it easier for her or not, there is no telling.