Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ohio Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Ohio Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:55 PM
God is Good ALL the Time

Just to further complicate everything ... it is the 1-877-372-4330 number that I have always called to talk to a "human" and have really good luck between 8-8:30 a.m.
i reach for you and find my heart"

OVERTURN THE WRONGFUL CONVICTIONS OF THE LUCASVILLE UPRISING !!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

Okay Peaches, What numbers did you press to get the right GTL Rep to put money on the prepay account... BECAUSE GTL says that the ONLY number Loved ones should be calling is: 1-800-231-0193? I'll test out the 1-877-372-4330 ONCE more... After that, I'm gonna say, Whatever

"...for this too shall pass..."
Old 03-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

Okay, I've tested out the both numbers that actually work towards Ohio Inmate PrePay Calls: 1-800-231-0193 (GTL's preferred #) and 1-877-372-4330 I suppose the best way to know IF you've done it right IS if you speak with an actual GTL Rep to confirm.... I pray this helps, once and for all.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:44 PM

has anyone had any problems setting up this damn GTL on cell phones?
it tells me that my number is blocked and i dont know how to lift the damn block!!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:12 PM

To:ELB07--in my many unfortunate experiences with GTL-once again last nite when they returned my call at 12:45 AM and woke me up-your cell is either coming up blocked when the inmate trys to call because your balance has fell below $10.00 and you have to make another deposit OR your number has to be listed as one of the numbers on the inmates list of his call #'s and he or she has to call your # first before future calls can go thru-does this help?
Old 03-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

ELB07 - follow the instructions in box #1 of this thread... Unfortunately, that repetitive recording about "a block" is stupid! Your loved one has to add you on his list, you should get a automated call and press yes to everything, etc..., and he/she MUST make the attempt to call you, then and only then will the 24hrs start ticking before you can pay on the prepay with a GTL REP. Use either 1-800-231-0193 & 1-877-372-4330 BUT make sure you speak with a person. NOT a good nite for me either with GTL BEST WISHES

Old 03-25-2008, 09:11 PM

okay well he first tried to call me on sunday and of course the offices were closed and i couldnt make a paymet! but i tried to call yesterday and it said that my number is blocked call your local phone provider to lift this block. but yet when they do they said its not possible to receice collect calls on a cell phone! which i know is a lie because i have before when he was in a different jail. so im not getting this GTL b******t. and i know i am on his list because i got the call. i dont understand this whole GTL because i am new to this entire process. so are you saying that he has to try and call me after the iniated phone call and then pay?

Last edited by MsChiku; 03-26-2008 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: language--PTO guidelines
Old 03-25-2008, 11:40 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELB07
...so are you saying that he has to try and call me after the iniated phone call and then pay?
Yes, exactly... You're preachin to the choir... NONE of us like GTL... There aren't ANY other options... You'll need to take a deep breath count to ten or one hundred and follow the steps mentioned in post #1. Patience is required, like it, or not.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:35 AM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

During the recording at the beginning of the call, the 877-372-4330 number is the one they tell us to call to set up the prepay account with.
Live as if you'll die today
~James Dean~
Old 03-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

After SEVERAL calls til' late last nite 11:16pm Finally, the GTL Rep is requesting that the 19% ($4.75 each $25 payment) be credited to the correct prepay account. She said it would take 24 hrs thru 3 business days!

She also requested that I advise the rest of you that IF your loved one is in Ohio Prison, it's Imperative that you 1st speak with a GTL Rep to confirm which "Data Base," his/her prison belong to. The automated line is set up for specific prisons, and from what she could see, OHIO's inmates have to speak to a Rep for deposits/payments on prepay accounts.

With that in mind, the correct phone number IS different for Each prison. And either of these numbers: 1-800-231-0193 & 1-877-372-4330 can get you a live person, just pay attention to the prompts and which button(s) you press to get a GTL Rep.

As a "rule of thumb," if you have the right "data base" the Rep will give you a CONFIRMATION NUMBER. I hope this is helpful.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Closed

WOW...

I'm sooo sick of GTL, I will say I have been dealing with prepaid on my cellphone for a year in a half now. I started when it was still MCI and not many people at alll knew about it and It's just interesting now that everyone knows and are having serious problems. I setup my account thur the 1-800-231-0193 with MCI and when GTL took over I started to call the 877-650-5259 number to find that you could get someone that english you could understand and when everyone started to get hip to this number, all you get now is "we're sorry but we're experiencing high call volume and your call is being transferred to the automated system and someone will return your call" and sometime they don't even call back. Now, i find when i call the 800-231 number they answer alot quicker than before, but i still have a hard time understanding what some of those reps are saying.

I do know that when I get calls from the county GTL also put the calls thur and it gives the balance on the account ,but when my husband calls from the prison it's totally different. So the bottom line is I call either number that I can get thur to inorder to put money on the phone, but I don't use the automated system, because if i put money on that and when my husband calls the money is still sitting there not being touch. It's crazy, but we do what we have too....

Last edited by Danielswife; 03-26-2008 at 10:53 PM..
Old 03-27-2008, 06:45 AM
The Future Mrs. W.L.C.

I would like to know if anyone knows if there are any limits on collect calls that you can recieve per day? per week? per month? One GTL rep told me that there was a $100.00 per month limit, and another GTL rep told me it was a $200.00 liit per month , as many people as I talk to that sems to be just as many different answers that I get. Please help!
Old 03-27-2008, 08:14 AM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

DanielsWife - I complained too about the 2-numbers available for "some" of our loved ones "data base" (800-231-0193 & 1-877-372-4330) giving us people we can hardly understand! The GTL Rep said that if you've put money on your account with a REP in the past, that's a good indication that your loved one's Institute does not allow "automated payments or weekend payments." So, long story-short, whatever has been working for you, continue doing it...JUST don't assume that "since it works for some, that it will work for Everyone." GOTTA LOVE OHIO's PRISON MONOPOLIZED PHONE SYSTEM! NOT!

LadyChampion - You will find that EACH GTL Rep has a different story/lie. Or to be fair, "NOT TRAINED PROPERLY -or- TOO DANG CONFUSING TO UNDERSTAND WHICH DATA BASE IS WHICH" You would think that, as long as there's money on your prepay account, then your loved one should be able to call....BUT in order NOT to "assume", ONCE you get set up and they give you your confirmation# ASK the GTL Rep, "will there be ANY dollar limits on my prepaid calls?" That way if there is ANY maximum limits, relative to your loved ones Institution, the GTL Rep, can and should find out for you.

In the meantime, keep in mind, that "this too shall pass..."

Last edited by MsChiku; 03-27-2008 at 08:18 AM..
Old 03-27-2008, 04:43 PM
The Future Mrs. W.L.C.

Thank you very much MsChiku
Old 03-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

LadyChampion -You are very welcomed!

Old 03-29-2008, 08:53 PM

FYI to all of you ladies going through the same SH**!! I am with GTL-from what a representative I spoke with tonite explained to me-the 1-877-650-4249 number that I thought I would use on weekends and in emergencies when my balance was low is for prepaid accounts for county jail accounts only! That's why every time I used this # instead of the 1-800-231-0193 my funds never showed up in my account and I had to wait (3) business days for a supervisor to transfer my $$ to the correct account!!! She explained to me that the 1-800-231-0193 is for State Prison accounts! For the love of God!!!! Like all of you other ladies that have written in, if I already have a damn prepaid account set-up county(when he was there before the transfer) or state what the hell is the difference? They can see that the money is there-is it too hard for these people to understand what a pain in the ass this is??? Like I have (2) hours everytime I want to make a deposit to wait around for them to call me back at all hours of the morning! I have not tried to call the other #-the 1-877-372.....because I would hate to see what happens then but maybe when I'm in a mood I will and take out my frustrations on them-ha!ha!-LOL
Old 03-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

lawoman - give them hell! Seriously, take down their name, date, time, and request an ID#. Keep a log of all calls with GTL. (that's what I've been doing ) Peaches2d, said the best time to call them is Mon -Fri at 8:30 am. with practically no waits. Keep us updated! Best Wishes

Last edited by MsChiku; 03-29-2008 at 10:21 PM..
Old 03-29-2008, 10:13 PM

MsChiku: Thanx for listening! I'll have to try first thing in the AM like you and the others have suggested--I've calmed down for now! LOL
Old 03-30-2008, 09:43 AM
The Future Mrs. W.L.C.

Ok, I'm gonna share my most recent experience with everyone concerning GTL. I called GTL at 1-800-650-4249 on this past Friday around 10:00 a.m. and I opted for them to call me back which they did almost an hour later. The lady told me that my landline phone had a block on it because I had exceeded the amount available for my line. She never told me what the limit was, but said my bill was $154.18. I asked her is there some way I could pay them directly to get the block lifted asap versus paying my telephone company and waiting for it to be credited to my acct. and them paying GTL for me. She said that I could do a three-party call and have my telephone company on the line to verify that the monies were there, but the block would not be lifted. I asked her why and she said that once your line gets a block put on it, you either have to set up a direct-remit account where you front the money first, then they will give you $100.00 limit and once you reach that and pay that (in a timely manner) then they would extend to your more and more as long as your account stays in good standing, or you could set up a prepaid account where you put as much money on there as you want and there are no limits as to how many times you can recieve calls- when the money runs out you stop recieving calls until you put more money on your prepaid account. So needless to say , I opted for the prepaid (which I already had) She told me that the quickest way was to use Western Union and this is what I did- prayerfully this will help everyone: Get the blue and white frm titled "To Send A Payment via Quick Collect" In section 1 fill in the dollar amount you want to send and where it says "Pay to" put DIRECT REMIT GTL the next line it says "Attention" you will have to get that info. from GTL cause it depends what jail/prison you are recieving calls from and the next line says "Reference Number" that will be your phone number and the next line says "Code City" and there you would put DRGTL and the next linesays "State" you would put AL. Then section 2 will be your made a payment info. (self explanatory) but make sure when it asks for your Account Number With Company , you should put your phone number that you will be recieving calls at and make sure your address is that of what GTL has down for you! I made my payment at 12:18 on Friday and GTL had posted my money to my account by Saturday around 1:00 p.m. The rep I spoke to at GTL said that if my monies weren't there 24 hour later from the exact time I sent the money,THEN and ONLY THEN could I call GTL to see what's going on. She advised me NOT to call even one minute before the actual 24 hours were up. It worked for me and I pray that it continues to work for me as well as all of us.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

LadyChampion - Thank you, thank you for your very well detailed explanations on what you went through....I haven't ran up against that issue before, Unfortunately, I am sure others may have or will, in the future come upon this very same problem So, God Bless you for sharing in details As frustrating as ALL this "drama" is, you've been a "Champ" indeed.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

Please don't believe their hype about them raising your limit on the Direct Remit accounts either. Each week my account would get up to around $95. I would go online and pay $150 and bring it down to below 0 and never have my service shut off. They always have their money from me, etc..
I called GTL about having my limit raised on the Direct Remit line and was told by 4 different agents that they don't give lines of credit over $100. That is something that some of the reps tell people to make them pay the bill without problems. I told her I thought that was a dirty thing to say, but then again, we are dealing with the same company that let a rep tell me that the men in her family would never be stupid enough to go to prison in the first place.
Live as if you'll die today
~James Dean~
Old 03-31-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielswife
Unfortunately, the prepaid only works for the inmates in the county. It won't work for the prison. Atleast not me....
now for me it was the opposit i can do prepay for the prison but not for the county jail. Are county jail here has changed but the inmate buys the prepaid cards in there and they can only buy i think three at a time and that doesn't give them very many calls on each card.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:19 PM

I Set Up An Acct On The Advance Pay System... Wrong Choice! B/c I Needed The Ohio Prepay Inmate Calling Acct. I Had Them Fix It Over A Week Ago And They Were Supposed To Transfer That Money I Put On The Advance Pay... And As Of Yet They Still Havent! So I Added Money To The New Acct. But I Set My Acct Up For My Cell Phone... I Didn Get A Call When I Approved Him To Call From Crc But It Was B/c Of That Reason... And He Just Got Transferred, So I Have To Wait For All Of The Approval Again. Does Anybody Else Get Calls To There Cell, And Have The Prepay Acct Thru Gtl???
Old 03-31-2008, 09:25 PM

I get calls on my cell and have the pre-pay acct through GTL-I've had a lot of problems with money transfers,blocks on my phones when your balance falls below a certain amount, etc. but what choice do I really have? It's a monopoly and GTL has a contract with the state of Ohio through 6/09 so I guess I'll just have to deal with all the sh**! Just make sure once your "state" account is set up that you only call that # to make deposits to your account and not the "county" account which I made the mistake of doing a few times and it took (3) business days or longer for them to straighten it out!
Old 04-01-2008, 04:48 AM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

mama n may - yes, I have prepay to my cell phone, set up with GTL. I fell for the hype about using the automated/weekend phone number too: 1-877-650-4249 <----I had to call this same ph# back at least four times before GTL FINALLY transferred my FULL amount, with NO 19% deduction to the correct "Data Base." My original request was on 3/24/08. The Supervisor did NOT "expedite" until yesterday, when I called AGAIN, they promised would be updated within 4-6 hours! I then called the CORRECT number for Ohio State Prisons-Prepay accounts: 1-800-231-0193, and confirmed the credit had in fact been deposited. We've discussed this in detail in this thread about the descrepancy about which numbers to call for the 34 Ohio State prisons. Unfortunately, you'll have to stay on their butts to get your money released/transferred to the correct "data base."

Last edited by MsChiku; 04-01-2008 at 04:50 AM..