Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ohio Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Ohio Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:16 AM

Ugggggh!!!!!What is up with this company?!!!I took Peaches2D's advice and called at 8:15 yesterday morning to the 1-800-231-0193 # and thank you because you were right-no hold times! And made yet another deposit to the infamous GTL using my ATM card with the VISA logo like I always do. I use me ATM card for this account and a few other bills only so that I can keep track of how much money I'm actually spending on these calls. Anyways, before I left for work I went online to my banking account and checked my balance which there was money in there but I stopped at the bank and deposited more in there just to be on the safe side! I also have a reserve line of credit on that account of $400.00 which I have never had to use just in case one of my deposits does'nt clear in time so that a check won't bounce. So...I give the non-english speaking GTL rep my card #, expiration date and security code and after putting me on hold for 21 minutes she comes back and tells me my card was declined! What??? While I was trying to contain myself and while my heart was racing I'm thinking I just checked my balance before I left my house, just made a deposit and am holding the bank receipt with the balance printed on it which matched what my computer said and I don't use this account for much more than GTL so I knew that there was nothing else outstanding that needed to clear or anything!!!! So...I asked the rep if she could repeat the card #, etc back to me because I thought maybe she made a mistake with the numbers and she told me NO, that I had to call back later in the afternoon to try again?? So after I got home from work I called GTL, yet again, waited for 31 minutes this time and talked to "Paul", which I'm sure is not his real name because who the hell has a name like "Paul" that doesn't even speak English and he says they are not allowed to try a card again for 24 hours and not a minute before! I told him that the rep this morning told me to call back this afternoon!? I was sitting right in front of my computer screen looking at the same balance on my bank account that was there that morning in addition to the deposit I made at the bank! Plus I knew the rep this morning had to write the info down wrong because not only did I have enough funds in my account there is also another $400 sitting there as a reserve just in case! Hello...! He was acting like this was a credit card that was maxxed out or something and he couldn't try it again-Whatever...So, this morning 24 hours to the minute I call GTL again, wait on hold for only 12 minutes this time which is short by any means, and talk to a woman named Carena which also cannot speak English and give her my telephone # and she puts me on hold for 9 more minutes comes back to the phone and asks me for my number again and while I'm giving her my phone number she asks if the "(216)" is the area code! What????? No, B***h! I'm thinking to myself, it's the number of times I'm going to slam your head into your desk! Where do they get these GTL reps from Idiot.com? So, in any event, she gives me a confirmation number and at least there's money on the account again! MsChiku: I contained myself for this time even though I did give her some h*ll for the whole not being able to run the ATM card again within 24 hours since they kept saying "we can't run your credit card through again..." It's not a credit card that's maxxed out it's an ATM card which I'm sure the non-speaking English rep this morning took down wrong! If they don't even know that the first (3) digits of your phone number is your area code how the hell can they write down your card number, etc. correct? After I got off the phone with them this morning (it's my day off! just how I wanted to spend it, with GTL) my man calls and naturally, they had not put the funds thru yet 'cuz instead of the recording saying I had enough funds for a 15 minute call it said you have enough funds available for a 5 minute call!!! I was almost in tears!!! A 5 minute call is nothing with the recording cutting in and all so my man just said honey, I can tell you've been dealing with that company again by the tone of your voice---ya think???? Whew....well thanx for letting me vent and for listening! Until my next experience with GTL....................
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

I have the account for my cell phone also, but I will only call the number that shows up on my bank statement and make up and excuse when they call back within 2 hours. I need to understand who I'm talking to.
Live as if you'll die today
~James Dean~
Old 04-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

lawoman - girl you gave some serious details this is what I do when I give my credit card number, I ask the GTL Rep, "Would you please verify the number you heard me say?" And he/she does... I would have been livid You did way better than me Not to take away the absolute pain in the a$$ they are either But your efforts for your loved one does not go unnoticed

"...for this too shall pass..."
Old 04-01-2008, 07:26 PM
waiting for my heart

Just a heads up ladies, I always tell them I will repeat the card number to them. Reason being I have heard many times someone other then my rep repeat the persons card number, exp date and civ number as well as the address sometimes and the amount. I don't want "Paul" or whatever his name is giving my numbers to some person on another line. Becareful lady's.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:55 PM

Default Phone calls and Globaltel Link

I have actually had a good experience with this company thus far. It was easy to set up an account, and I chose pre-pay, which has a minimum of $25. However, you get a discount on price-per-minute (25 cents off) if you do pre-pay. It gives you the option to refill your minutes when he calls and the minutes are out. So far, so good. I used a credit card, paid over the phone, got through in about a minute. Only concern was the other person was foreign and very difficult to understand. But that's with any company.

Now, for my question ... does anyone know what days/hours they can call? I miss his calls often because I keep forgetting to ask him when he is going to call again. The last numbers in his inmate number are 43.

I went for my first visit yesterday at CRC, and while it was awful to not get to touch him, a kiss and hug at the beginning and end were good, and when he went for a little longer of a kiss than he should have, no one yelled or said anything. Overall it was an alright experience. But I am lucky, only 3.5 months to go until freedom and our kisses will last much longer!! Poor girl in front of me got turned away for tight clothing, but her clothes didn't look tight to me. Corrections Officer was a large woman with an ego/self-esteem problem. And I can say that because I am a big girl too!

Mandy
Old 04-03-2008, 10:58 AM

Wow ladies!!! Many many Thanks to you all for all the useful info here!I think the main thing before I begin this fight is have plenty of Advil on hand!! I have an elderly friend who's loved one is in the Pickaway Correctional Institution in Orient,Ohio.She has Comcast phone service.I'm going to her house to set up a GTL account so she can receive calls.She lives in WVa.So I should use the 1-800-231-0193 number right? I'm jus not sure how it works for Ohio as my son (inmate) is in Ms. And it's a nightmare dealing with GTL with long distance. Then to top it off GTL says yes to cellphones but Ms.DOC doesn't and if caught its a write up an hole time for your loved one. So any extra info and guidence I would be deeply thankfull for! Again great job on this thread ladies!!!
Old 04-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

Ravenslove - Wow, good ears thanks for the 411
ThirdStreet - I'm happy you've had good experiences with GTL. Try reviewing the CRC thread :http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=189062
It has Q&A's for that specific prison. Best Wishes.
Chickletone - yes, if the inmate is in any of the 34 Ohio State Prisons mentioned in post #1, yes this is correct ph#1-800-231-0193 to set up the prepay account for the Ohio inmates.
Also, MS and OH prison are completely different Unfortunately, you'll need to request info on MS rules, from the MS Forum. I can't help but wonder, if GTL says "Yes" for setting up a cell phone with an MS inmate, maybe the MS prison is referring to the "Inmate" not having a cell phone. The family/loved ones aren't incarcerated. And a lot of folk don't have land lines or VOIP phones... How would the prison know it's a cell phone, if you don't tell them? A phone is a phone. As long as it's set up through GTL, right? Again, check with the MS forum for answers about that state's rules. Best Wishes to you too!

Old 04-04-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsChiku

Chickletone - yes, if the inmate is in any of the 34 Ohio State Prisons mentioned in post #1, yes this is correct ph#1-800-231-0193 to set up the prepay account for the Ohio inmates.
Also, MS and OH prison are completely different Unfortunately, you'll need to request info on MS rules, from the MS Forum. I can't help but wonder, if GTL says "Yes" for setting up a cell phone with an MS inmate, maybe the MS prison is referring to the "Inmate" not having a cell phone. The family/loved ones aren't incarcerated. And a lot of folk don't have land lines or VOIP phones... How would the prison know it's a cell phone, if you don't tell them? A phone is a phone. As long as it's set up through GTL, right? Again, check with the MS forum for answers about that state's rules. Best Wishes to you too!
Thanks for the help! Yes Ms. is a whole different set of problems! Been dealing with them for the last 11yrs!The only time they were allowed to call cell phones was right after Katrina hit. How they know the difference couldn't tell ya,but they do.I live 15 min away from Belmont correctional and friends there can call collect without GTL. If I drive 15 mins the other direction theres the Northern Regional jail (Moundsville)and they can call me collect without GTL! Totally confusing!! Anyway thanks again for all the great info!!
Old 04-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Banned

Default GTL Down

Note to anyone trying to call GTL today, April 4th....they are saying that their computers are down. Lovely. This is Friday and we can't pay over the weekend. Really good service.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:50 AM
Banned

As a follow up to the 800-231-0193 number having their "system" out of service Friday, I did call the 877-650-4249 number and got a return call from someone very helpful, who took my payment, verified my account number, gave me my correct balance (spoke clear English) and assured me it didn't matter which of the two numbers I called to make a payment...that as long as I spoke with a person who verified my account number and balance, I was fine. She said the other number goes to a foreign country (NO KIDDING!!!! I'm guessing India) so they have some problem unrelated to the GTL systems in general. My head spins when I think of GTL. I have never seen or heard of a company like this. I'm SO confused. <shaking head>
Funny though...when I called the 231-0193 number all day yesterday, I got a foreign speaking person (sometimes female, sometimes male) who was trying to sound like a recording saying the system was down!!!! Bwahhaaa. Now thinking about it, it was funny. When you are panicing thinking you can't talk to your loved one Fri, Sat or Sun, it's not funny.
It really was funny listening to them try to sound like a recording though.
What a Mickey Mouse company!
I'm guessing they want us to call the 231-0193 number because it does go to India where labor is cheap and profits are even higher.
Three years and 7 months and I will NEVER have to deal with them again. Thank you God.
Judy
Old 04-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

Lightbulb Always get a confirmation for Payments: (800-231-0193 & 1-877-372-4330)

In regards to which numbers to call in order to get the correct credit on the prepay account set up for the 34 State of Ohio Prisons. As a rule of thumb, if the GTL Rep is unable to give you a "CONFIRMATION NUMBER," then you have allowed the Rep to pay money on the wrong Data Base. The Rep will let you pay BUT if it's the wrong Data Base, good luck trying to get the money transferred to the right account.

Lost Spirit - Due to some technical fluke, my guess is that since GTL was having problems with the regular lines: (800-231-0193 & 1-877-372-4330), they started taking payments for both Data Bases at the number you called yesterday as a last resort. Unless you get notification on your monthly statement direct from GTL, please don't assume that another number will work all the time.

So if you did get a "confirmation number" and were able to verify that your money matched the actual amounts you've paid on your account, count that as a blessing.

Again, Always get a confirmation for Payments: (800-231-0193 & 1-877-372-4330)

Old 04-06-2008, 08:29 PM
LUCKYU_1315

Well so far so good. My phone was set up with GTL and they seemed very helpful and it all went smoothly. So I cant say that I am experiencing any problems
Old 04-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

LUCKYU - Girl, I'm so glad the set up went smooth for you...We created this thread in hopes of making the experience with GTL less shocking and overwhelming. Not to mention, more cost effective Thank you for sharing.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:14 AM
The Future Mrs. W.L.C.

GOOD MORNING EVERYONE HERE AT PTO WELL LEAVE IT UP TO GTL TO SCREW UP ONCE AGAIN ALMOST A WEEK OR SO AGO I SHARED HOW I WAS ABLE TO MAKE A WESTERN UNION PAYMENT AND IT BE POSTED TO MY ACCT. WITHIN 24 HOURS. I SHOULD'VE KNOWN THAT SOMEHOW, SOMEWAY GTL WOULD FIND A WAY TO SCREW ME OVER. I SENT A PAYMENT THRU WESTERN UNION ON THIS PAST FRIDAY 04-04-08 AND TODAY IT IS 04-07-08 AND MY PAYMENT IS STILL NOT ON MY ACCT. I HAVE BEEN ON THE PHONE WITH GTL ALL WEEKEND, BUT I'M NOT SURE WHY BECAUSE THE ONLY THING THEY KEPT SAYING WAS WE SENT IT TO OUR RESEARCH DEPARTMENT AND IT WILL TAKE 3-5 DAYS FOR IT TO BE ON YOUR ACCOUNTYAH KNOW I'M PISSED OFF BECAUSE IT DIDN'T TAKE THEM 3-5 DAYS TO TAKE IT! WESTERN UNION SAID THAT GTL HAD TAKEN THE MONEY LESS THAN 24 HOURS AFTER I MADE THE PAYMEMT! I AM SO HEATED RIGHT NOW 4 REAL!
Old 04-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

(((LadyChampion))) - I'm with you on the 3-5 day response! I pray you're keeping good notes on who & when you talk to them GTL Rep's. It took almost two (2) weeks for me to finally get my money credited to the correct "Data Base." Trust me, I totally feel your pain and frustration With that said, please call back and speak to a Supervisor with your complaint. I told them I was reporting them to the FCC. Someone mentioned another place for complaints in this thread too. Please don't get discouraged. Keep your head up, against all odds!

Old 04-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

It wouldn't hurt to make a report to the Better Business Bureau and put up something on www.ripoffreport.com just for GP.
~James Dean~
Old 04-10-2008, 06:37 PM
LUCKYU_1315

can you go online and check your balance of a prepaid account?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:03 PM

Luckyu 1315-I asked GTL that very same question 'cuz it's a pain in the a** to call them every single time to check your balance and they told me with prepaid accounts you don't have the option of checking your balance online or through a pre-recorded telephone system that each time you have to call and speak to someone directly on prepaid accts to get your balance-aren't we the lucky ones??????!!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2008, 07:15 PM
LUCKYU_1315

Default prepay accounts

I just spoke with GTL and they told me you can check your balance and add money to your pre-pay account at www.correctionsgtl.com
Old 04-10-2008, 07:25 PM

Luckyu 1315-just used the link you supplied and thought cool, maybe I won't have to call GTL anymore to check my balance and entered my phone # and passcode-even though above that info to enter it said for direct bill accounts-and it came back that they were experiencing tecnical difficulties and to call the 231- number!!!!UgggggH! I will try again tomorrow though to see if it works-thanks for the 411!!!
Old 04-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

Lucky & Lawoman - Direct billing account is not the same "Data Base" as for the 34Ohio Prisons in post #1. GTL has a few data bases, BUT not all are for the "prepay accounts for Ohio Inmates." There's ALWAYs a confirmation number related to any payments on our loved ones phones. Thanks for trying though!

Old 04-11-2008, 02:08 AM
LUCKYU_1315

I called GTL and they told me it was for PrePay, so now I am a bit confused.

I tried and it was suppose to send me an email but never did.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:19 AM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

This is the first I heard of that. It used to be just for the Direct Remit, but maybe they came into the 21st century.
~James Dean~
Old 04-11-2008, 05:30 AM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

Lightbulb Direct Pay is NOT the same Data Base for the 34 Ohio Prisons...

Goodmorning (((LuckyU))) - Basically, what you have done is put money on the wrong account. You are going to have to call GTL's "1-877-650-4249" and request that your deposit be transferred to the correct data base. This is what I've been trying to clarify to everyone. GTL has a lot of "Data Bases." Direct Pay is NOT the same data base for this Ohio Prison thread. It's a real pain in the butt trying to get your money put on the correct account.

Mainly, the rule of thumb is: YOU MUST SPEAK WITH A GTL REP TO GET YOUR CREDIT IN THE CORRECT DATA BASE. . And they will always give you a confirmation number for your payment when you call either: (800-231-0193 & 1-877-372-4330)

Unfortunately, this is the way GTL set it up for the 34 Prisons in Ohio. Their are NO simple and/or easy steps for us

This is something I've tried to stress repeatedly throughout this thread BECAUSE the GTL Reps and WebSite is confusing. Follow the steps for trying to get your money back to the right account, mentioned in this thread too. Try not to get discouraged. I pray this is helpful. I will not be available this weekend. But this thread has all of the information about what I went through to get my money transferred it took a couple of weeks for me

Old 04-11-2008, 06:41 AM
LUCKYU_1315

Luckly I did not put in money on it because they were suppose to send me an email confirming my account was sat up and that never happened.

I called GTL last night and spoke to them and they said that the Prepay account could be paid this way. This morning I called them again for this agent to tell me No you have to call to give money. Its obvious they need to train the representatives.