Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ohio Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Ohio Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:02 AM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

(((LuckYU))) - I am sorry you ALMOST got caught up in their hype BUT I went through the heartache of speaking to several Supervisors/Managers, to confirm that the ONLY way to get the correct credit on the 34 Prisons mentioned previously, is to speak to a GTL Rep and they MUST give you a confirmation number...THANK GOD you didn't fall for the okey doke...And yes, training is desperately needed for GTL Reps! It's a good time now for you to call and put money on your account with an actual Rep. Have a blessed weekend.

"...for this too shall pass..."
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2008, 10:14 PM
*God bless our family*

Default Please help me!!!!! I am SOOO confused!!!!

I am extremely new to this phone call thing. I will give a quick rundown...maybe someone can help me out!!!! I have a cell phone through Sprint. I currently cannot receive calls from my boyfriend through GTL, they are saying there is a block on the number. I have read several posts about the prepay system, but I have NO IDEA what the steps I need to take to set up an account. I am so confused, can someone please send me a play by play in "simple" terms so I can understand. I have read that having a phone number with the same area code and prefix as the prison makes it cheaper...so does that mean I should get a "prison" cell phone that has the same phone number as the prison he will be transferred to after CRC??? (what is the prefix portion and how can a cell phone company do that?) Can someone please tell me what to do!!! Thank you SOOOO Much!
Old 05-17-2008, 04:12 AM
God is Good ALL the Time

Hi Mel and for starters, welcome to PTO and The Ohio Forum. Before GTL, when MCI was around, I used PCO (Prison Calls Online) and then my Hunnie and I were estranged for awhile. When we got back together, I had a GTL account set up with my Michigan cell # because at the time my local Verizon marketing area didn't include the specific area where my Hunnie is housed. They said they were going to be doing some rezoning and when that local exchange became available, I just called Verizon and asked that they set up an account (9.99 friends and family plan) with the area code and prefix that I needed to be local to the prison. So yes, I now have 2 telephones -- 1 for Michigan and 1 for Ohio. (You can have a number anywhere you want, as long as it's within your cell phone carrier's market area or sometimes you have to set up a separate account in a different market area, but it's worth it financially in the long run.) Then I called GTL and told them that my telephone # had changed and to switch my account to the Ohio #. Yes, you'll probably have to go a couple weeks without phone calls, but we only get 1 phone call a week anyhow. I was told initially that there was a block on my phone too, but when I called Verizon, they told me there was no such thing, so I called GTL back and told them there was no block. I think the key is persistence and getting a GTL representative that in truly interested in helping. A little prayer doesn't hurt either ... hahaha I know that everyone has a different experience with what hoops GTL puts you thorough. I think sometimes that it's GTL's initiation. I hope this helps a bit.
i reach for you and find my heart"

OVERTURN THE WRONGFUL CONVICTIONS OF THE LUCASVILLE UPRISING !!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to peaches2d For This Useful Post:
rottn (05-17-2008)
Old 05-17-2008, 06:36 AM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

I have Verizon also and I went ahead and got the unlimited plan because some places I go my Sprint dosen't work. I was paying $600 a month for calls, so the $130 for the cell service and the $70 for the prepay each month is nothing compared to what I di have.
If cell service is not an option fo ryou right now, Vonage is also another way to go. You set the line up for $24.99 a month and get a number local to where you want. Plus, you can use it for everything. I did have Packet 8, but they cost more and the phone did not work half the time.
Either way you go, with prepay and a local number, the calls will be $1.01. I don't know how many you will get, but my husband calls me up to 5 times a day when he's really bored.
Live as if you'll die today
~James Dean~
Old 05-17-2008, 08:36 AM
*God bless our family*

Thank you all for the response to my messages!!! Ok so I have a question. Currently my area code is not located where ANY of the other prisons are, so I know it will be long distance right now. He is getting transferred out of CRC very soon in the next few weeks, so could I set up the prepay account with the current number I have (the long distance one). And then when I find out what is "parent" prison is, get a new number that has the same area code and prefix as there and CHANGE the number or account he is calling so it would be cheaper? Thanks so much!
Old 05-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

Yes, that can be done, but the calls will be around $6.00 a call until you get local, so be prepared. Hopefully, GTL will work and update your account in a timely manner when the time comes to change it for you too.
~James Dean~
Old 05-17-2008, 12:02 PM
*God bless our family*

Will the calls be $6.00 a call even with a prepaid account for the current cell phone I have? I have a Cincinnati area code, and all the prisons are outside this area code I believe. At least the ones he is probably gonna be transferred too. He is at CRC right now...but I don't want to get a cell local to there yet (right?? lol, that was a question) until he gets to his parent prison? I want a number that corresponds with where he will be serving out the remainder of his sentence? Also, can you have multiple numbers he can call? Like if I had a cell that had prepay, and a home number, could he call both? Can you have more than one prepay account per customer?
Old 05-17-2008, 02:24 PM
God is Good ALL the Time

I don't know about the $6 a call, but you can only have 1 GTL account per state, and yes, my Hunnie has my Ohio prepay # and my home #, in case something goes wrong with GTL, he has an alternate way to get in touch with me. Also, if you get a phone/# relative to the institution where he is and have a friends and family kind of thing, you can set up a # for CRC, and then get it changed for his parent institution and not mess up your regular # for regular people that call regularly. Hope that helps ... pam

Old 05-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

I had a direct remit account with my home phone, then I got my cell phone after I got married and set up a prepay on that. The direct remit never was shut off until I moved and had the phone disconnected. As far as I know, it's probably still on until I fax them a letter or something.
~James Dean~
Old 05-17-2008, 08:36 PM

Are you saying you can add a second line to your existing cell phone account that has a different area code that is local to the prison? Not sure if I understood correctly from above posts.
I have been using GTL prepaid. If you put $50.00 or more on the account there was no set up fee.
I'm looking for the least expensive way to get calls.
Thanks.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:12 AM
God is Good ALL the Time

Yes, I have a verizon account (friends and family) with 2 phones. One is a Michigan # and one is an Ohio #

Old 05-18-2008, 11:00 AM
*God bless our family*

Ok, I think I might have topped this with a million questions. LOL..but ok. I have 2 phone lines linked to my cell account. Can I get one number changed to a local number to CRC now...and then when he is moved to his parent prison...can I again change the number again to a number local to that prison and still have the prepay account with GTL when switchin the numbers? Will I have trouble changing the numbers and the money on the prepay? I hope that message made sense. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2008, 12:18 PM
God is Good ALL the Time

Perfect sense Garvey ... and the answer is YES !!! I switched my Michigan # that was already set up for prepay to an Ohio #, and I don't presume there is any limit on how many times you change your #. I wouldn't do an awful lot of explaining, just tell them that your telephone # has changed. Stuff happens. You might miss calls for a few days while they're setting up the new account, but it will be well worth it in the long run. My suggestion is to fund the account once you switch the # and don't expect any reamaining balance for the old # to be transferred any too quickly. Hope that helps ... God Bless You ... Pam

Old 05-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

Feel the need to add this, my sister-in-law set up a prepay with Sprint so her girlfriend can call her, so Sprint works with this too. Her deposit with Sprint was $150 cheaper & she rolled with it. Just some new FYI everyone.
~James Dean~
Old 05-18-2008, 06:07 PM

My son was moved out of LRC after 2 1/2 weeks. I don't know how long that it will take for you to set up the # for the reception center only to have him moved to the parent facility. Heard the whole system is over capacity and they are moving to the parent facility more quickly.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:21 PM
*God bless our family*

Thanks for that info. Well I just checked because of that last post, and he has been transferred to SCI...Southeastern which is in Lancaster. I know nothing about that prison, so I hope he is ok. I guess I will get my number local to Lancaster and then set that account up with GTL? I hope that is the proper thing to do. The only number he has right now is my current cell number, which I don't want to put money on only to change the number...so a few more days without a call
Old 05-21-2008, 03:11 PM
*God bless our family*

Angry

Well, I have recieved my first "local cell" prison call! At least the initial attempt to call me. When I called back to GTL to set up the prepay account, all it says is a block as been placed on my phone by the phone company! I have sprint, and I thought I could set up an account. How do I get past that message to set up a prepay account! Now I am officially irritated!!! AHHH!!!
Old 05-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

Lightbulb Inmate has to make the call and then wait 24 hrs...

Hi True - I sent you a PM... Now that GTL has confirmed that you'll be the responsible party for paying the collect calls... It is NOW required that your loved one makes an attempt to call the number you're trying to set up on prepay... 24 hrs. after he's tried to call you, then you call GTL at 1-800-231-0193.

Like you, I thought that once GTL automated call came thru that all I needed to do was call them back 24hrs. later.... BUT I learned the hard way.... Now, he has to try to call you at that same phone number... Once he got my letter he did try...and since I had no way of knowing if/when he tried to call. I called GTL twice daily. In the a.m. and in the p.m. to see if I could set up the prepay account... Their system of checks and balances is NOT customer service friendly So you're almost done, try to remain patient

Old 05-21-2008, 08:32 PM
*God bless our family*

Thank you for you help Ms. Chiku and everyone else! I have set up the prepay account and am now waiting for a call to successfully come through....*keeping fingers crossed*!!! I had another thought and question... Once you set up a prepay account, does that "attach" it so to speak to only the prison that he called from? For example...he calls me from SCI now and he gets transferred somewhere else, will he be able to call that prepay account number from any prison or will we have to go through the automated message everytime to receive phone calls from a different institution? When you set up the prepay...does it show what prison the person called from and does that matter on your account to show that correctly? Does it show on their end if a call attempt was made by a prisoner? Thank yoU!
Old 05-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

True - Yes, I believe your loved one will have to set up your number at each Institute...Once your loved has been moved to a different prison, you should call GTL and advise them too. Usually when you add money onto your account, the Rep ask you to confirm which prison the calls come from and the name of the phone company that handles your number. Since you already have the prepay account set up and GTL only allows one prepay account per customer, I think the Rep will delete the old prison information and add the new info to your account information...By the way (BTW) you'll receive a monthly statement outlining the calls and the phone number the calls came from. So I believe it does make a difference to GTL.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Looking for my best frien

Default Vonage

Ok now I am getting aggravated. I was so excited to get my vonage account set up and even got the call from my guy...when I called GTL they said there was a block on the phone and to call the company. So I called Vonage and they said they don't support inmate calls...so I cancelled my account. Now I am readiing people who have had success with Vonage? How? Did I give up too soon?
Old 05-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Looking for my best frien

Default vonage

To make myself clear, the call from my guy adding my new number. LOL
Old 05-22-2008, 05:38 AM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

Default Yes, you threw in the towel too soon...

Hi LorriKiser - Unfortunately, yes, you threw in towel too soon...It's NOT your fault...GTL's automated system and most of the time their REPs are STUPID too But the phone companies: AT&T, Time Warner Digital, Vonage, Cell Phone Companies, etc..They don't block regular calls. That's what a call paid "in advance" to GTL, is. So unless your phone is not working for whatever the reason (between you and your company) that message of a "block" is ridiculous! Please read the following carefully:

GTL has a "generic" automated response of "block on your line, call your phone company..." That so-called block can mean a couple of things: the inmate has NOT added your number to their list in order for the inmate to be able to call your number, your loved one has NOT made an attempt to call the number after adding the number, you did not wait at least 24 hrs after the inmate made the attempt to call your number, lastly - their system is STUPID...YOU AND THE INMATE MORE THAN LIKELY DID EVERY STEP REQUIRED, BUT, GTL's checks & balances to make sure the number is valid and that their automated system confirmed that a responsible party pressed the 1's to state he/she would pay for the collect calls, does not show up in their system

So, you'll need to call GTLs other system at the ph#1.877.650.4249 (to get a live person) Tell the Rep the whole story and that you've done EVERYTHING above, etc... The Rep should verify what you said while on the phone call.... At that time the Rep should be able to set up your account, you'll set up your own personal 4-digit pin number, verify name, address, facility, & your phone company... The Rep MUST give you a CONFIRMATION#, it'll take about 24 hrs BUT that would be the so-called "block" being over-riden... THAT's GTLs glitch in their own system...If you followed the steps above, don't waist your time calling back your phone company BECAUSE the company can't/won't block calls that aren't being billed to them...That's the purpose of setting up the "prepay with GTL." To cut out your phone company and make GTL richer That automated block message is stupid and unnecessary, and beyond annoying!

I pray the above is helpful

Old 05-22-2008, 08:41 AM
*God bless our family*

Talking Excited!!!! YA:):)

I just wanted to share the good news with everyone! Thanks to PTO and everyone's advice, I received my first call today!!! I finally was able to set up my prepay account and got my first call from my baby today. I am so happy! I just wanted to share my experience with others who were confused like I was so they can learn just like I learned.

After setting up my new "local" number on my family plan, I received the first attempt from him trying to call my phone. I tried to call GTL back on the 800.231.0193 number 24 hours later, and recieved the "this phone has a block placed on it from you phone company. Please call your phone company and have the block removed" and then the phone disconnected. I was so frustrated because I had gone through the whole process of setting up a local number, sending him the letter, and waiting for the first call, and now I can't even speak to a live person! AHHH!!! Well, with advice from Rottn (THANKS!!!!!!), I called GTL other number 877-650-4249, around 5 pm at night and finally got the option to speak to a rep! The had me leave a number to call back and said a rep would call me back when it was my turn in queue. Not 45 minutes later, a rep called me back (spoke very good english!) and I told her about the "block" message and that I was trying to set up a prepay account. She took my address for my phone bill and set up an account. I was set up with a "PIN" number and then paid $50.00 to set up the account and I made sure to get her name and confirmation number JUST IN CASE. She stated I should be able to recieve calls in 24 hours. At 9 am today, I was connected with my honey and it was soooooo nice! I am so happy and just wanted to share my story.

I had one question, how can you check the balance on your prepay account and how much each call costs? Thanks PTO!!!
Old 05-22-2008, 08:53 AM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

truelove - Thanks for the update... You'll need to speak with a GTL Rep to confirm the balance on your account. I'm sure you know all their phone numbers by now... Also, when your loved one calls you, during the pre-recording, it gives you the option of pressing a certain number to hear the cost of that call...So press it and it'll give you those details. Your loved one will be able to hear too. Then press Zero to connect your call... Have a great day!